Since I'm coming close to finishing the fist few DA models I've been painting recently, I thought it might be cool to share them with you. :smile.:

There are no bases at the moment (still working on them...), I paint the models in parts, and I am a very slow (s-l-o-w) painter. As a result, I'm going to try posting progress updates in this thread to keep me motivated as I attempt a run at my long-term goal of painting about 200 Dark Angels! :ph34r.:

You are all welcome to poke/comment/criticise me as appropriate, and I hope that you won't get too bored of seeing lots of Dark Vengeance marines painted in an essentially studio-scheme. :tongue.:

Anyway, I snapped a quick pic of one chap with my phone, and whilst not the best pic (understatement...), at least you guys get to see him and know that I have made an earnest start..

gallery_68769_13559_174422.jpg

(Oh, and where the pix are a bit rubbish like above, I will try wherever possible to follow up with better pix whenever I get a sunnier day to snap them in daylight).

_________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: I've added a picture of the finished squad for newcomers to this thread, and will periodically update this first post with links to subsequent finished squads to help guide people quickly to the end results. :smile.:

gallery_68769_13559_49959.jpg

Thanks Chaplain Lucifer!

I live in a ground-floor flat, and the current weather is both cloudy (generally) and foggy (locally), so poor indoor pix are all I can manage right now. :sad.:

Still, a small update after more work this afternoon:

gallery_68769_13559_62242.jpg

This one's done bar the base and highlights to the tactical symbol.

That 5th Co knee marking is tough to do - I pity those who have to freehand the 4th Co! :ph34r.:

I'm trying to speed-paint these, but the OCD inner perfectionist in me is making it hard... :blush.:

Thanks for the comments guys, they are very motivational! :sweat:

I should have them done and varnished bar the bases tonight, which means either I'll start on their squad mates or have a short intermission while I do all ten bases.

The photo quality is truly killing me though... I'm going to have to experiment with some setups this weekend because they have really failed at capturing the models properly. I reckon a plastic box with baking-paper-covered cutouts might do as a budget lightbox, so maybe I'll have a go with that. Any cheap (and I mean cheap) suggestions that work well?

Thanks for the comments guys, they are very motivational! :sweat:

I should have them done and varnished bar the bases tonight, which means either I'll start on their squad mates or have a short intermission while I do all ten bases.

The photo quality is truly killing me though... I'm going to have to experiment with some setups this weekend because they have really failed at capturing the models properly. I reckon a plastic box with baking-paper-covered cutouts might do as a budget lightbox, so maybe I'll have a go with that. Any cheap (and I mean cheap) suggestions that work well?

Have a squizz at my more recent pics (the Dreads are the best) in my Log(see Sig) to see if you like the effect. I now use the back of two gloss large A2(?) posters (from the $2 shop) as reflectors positioned vertically either side of the model with a small lamp each side between the model and the reflectors shining away from the model, no flash, no frontal lighting, a smokey coloured A3 background curled up under and behind the models. Cost: $5.00 upward if you get expensive posters :smile.:

Your most excellent shading requires most excellent pics so we can most excellently enjoy their excellence. Get to it Sir.

In case that was hard to understand:

Vertical left poster/Lamp facing left poster/   Models   /Lamp facing right poster/Vertical right poster

:biggrin.:

s

MAJ Gilbear, you have done a fantastic job on the highlighting/shading of that figure. Are you using a white mixed in to create the highlight colors, or a bone?

I will second Stobz's method for images, it works well, should cut down on the direct light highlights from pointing the lamps at the model, and it is cheap. The only other thing I could think of might be to put a piece of poster shiny side down across the top and angle a lamp up to reflect light down on the top of the model, but it may cause it to be very cramped to get your camera in there for the pics.

Good luck and look forward to more!

Wow, thanks again guys - very humbling comments! :blush.:

I got them varnished and matte-coated yesterday, so the first four are done now. Sadly, the internet was down in my local area yesterday, so pix will likely have to wait until the weekend now (am back at work today, so no chance of daylight pix...).

A breakdown of your method of painting and highlighting of the green Perleeeease!

It's fantastic and has got to be imitated/stolen!

MAJ Gilbear, you have done a fantastic job on the highlighting/shading of that figure. Are you using a white mixed in to create the highlight colors, or a bone?

I'm using white, but it's very translucent, so the original green-yellow highlight shows through a bit.

The highlights are actually quite soft, and really only serve to outline the model and make the edges look green - the rest of the armour is actually quite dark (almost black in many places). Somehow (possibly becuase the white is only on the edges), my camera has magnified and exaggerated the highlights - they are actually much softer in person!

Anyway, I have six more members to paint for this squad, so I'll do a step-by-step if people want? Might be easier to follow than just a colour recipie (which I have and can share on its own quite easliy if you prefer). I use P3 paints, so all the colours are from that range, with inks coming from the Vallejo Game Colour range.

@ Stobz & Bryan:

Thanks for the tips guys. I have some sheets of white plasticard handy, and might give those a go if they seem glossy enough. I have also seen people use upturned plastic food tubs (white, and washed clean!) with cutouts in them as lightboxes, so I was thinking of trying that too. I have also been thinking that the lights I use need a filter to make them more white and opalescent - maybe something like baking paper or tracing paper to diffuse and "whiten" them.

The white highlights are brilliant...I've always wondered why I'm dissatisfied with my green highlights on green armor...it's because the highlights aren't white!  Well, too late now, I'm 80 suits of power armor in, and not likely to redo all that work.  First rate, though, it taught me something that may help me with a future army.

Quick update as a result of slightly better photos that I managed with the help of some white paper tonight:

gallery_68769_13559_60883.jpg

They a are darker in person (I think the flash made them more, erm, luminous), but it's the best pic I've obtained yet and a group shot to boot! :tongue.:

Bases are next, then the rest of the squad. When I do the next part of the squad, I'll do a tutorial if folks like?

Finally, a question (although we are talking into the New Year here); what should I do next: 5 DV Termies, or 6 DV Bikes?

MAJ Gilbear, nice again, fantastic! However, for the pictures, I would definitely try it without the flash, especially if it is altering the visual of the minis.

I really like the appearance of the very rearmost Marine (and I'm thinking that one is much more representative of the real appearance). You have a keen hand for shading and highlighting!

I'll vote Termies instead of bikes, simply because my bikes take me way too dang long to paint and I selfishly want to see more of your painted stuff faster. :)

Flashes tend to do that...  In fact our dark minis are rather tough to photo in the first place.  Maybe try in full sun some afternoon?

Looks good.  Now I am going to go sit in my corner and feel shamed and inadequate....

Unfortunately, the flash was necessary; I tried a series of snaps with and without, and also with and without the desk lamp... This was the best one. Daylight pix can only be done on weekends sadly, and even then only if the weather clears. :(

As for the Terminators; that's two votes so far for them (my friend also asked for them to be next). Looks like I might need to get bases knocked up for them as well if I'm going to be doing some for the Tac boys this weekend!

And.... Can I join you guys with a beer/whisky? :P

It's your thread man, you can drink if you want to...

Whatcha thinking for bases?   Oh, and Termies...  Bikes count as two minis (or maybe three) while termies only count as 1 1/2....(but maybe that is because I am used to metal ones.....)  I (like Bryan) want to see more...

Those look superb! Excellent blending and shading and a crisp set of emblems to boot.

@Bryan  Really? It's the other way round for me; I find Ravenwing quick to paint when compared with Deathwing.

Archived