Adeptus Astartes Stormwing Formation

lonewolf81

Yup, that's what the Formation rules are like. You can simply buy the Formation and add it to your force. They DO NOT take up your Allies slot as well. They follow the Allies chart of their parent codex.

It is quite interesting though it means that the Storm Raven becomes a gun ship more than a transport as nothing can embarked on it before the game. Still, it gives Wolves access to 3 potent flyers for 490pts (Talons with ML and a bog standard Raven).

Yeah just got it, great theres a beardcon tournament near the end of the month and these supplements and dataslates keep making me change my mind

so from a glance looks like C:SM can spam fliers since you could count the storm wing as allies so they're not taking up the heavy and fast attack slots......

Russ was displeased that day...

Seriously though. A sole Stormraven will help but is not the answer to the problem. I am not even looking at the talons, they will die from an angry look (and the heldrakes claws). Besides, if I were using the Raven, I'd like to use it as a transport, not only an AA platform.

I find it amazing that finally Space Wolves have a legitimate option for their own flyer options and people are still complaining.  Who cares if you can put troops in them. Kit them out right abs once you have annialated any Helldrakes you might encounter you can wipe the floor with your enemies ground units. AV12 on a flyer with a MM and AC is dirty against other flyers

Well, we could have just allied with SM before and get those fliers. Also, although that's just my opinion, I am not the biggest fan of the Storm Raven. Hell yeah, I am gonna get one when I decide to try out SM codex, but not my premier choice. Nonetheless, I am happy that SW can get fliers without allied tax. I just don't find it very fluffy^^

Well, we could have just allied with SM before and get those fliers. Also, although that's just my opinion, I am not the biggest fan of the Storm Raven. Hell yeah, I am gonna get one when I decide to try out SM codex, but not my premier choice. Nonetheless, I am happy that SW can get fliers without allied tax. I just don't find it very fluffy^^

How is it not fluffy?

They are marines, they should have access to all the equipment a codex army has. Land raider crusaders, Achilles, Helios, predator annihilators, land speeder tempests. All were developed by different chapters and yet all are used by every marine army to a greater or lesser extent.

It stands to reason that in the fang, amongst the Leann Russ tanks, we also have storm talons/ravens lurking away. We can't always get planet side with only thunder hawks and pods.

How is it not fluffy?

They are marines, they should have access to all the equipment a codex army has. Land raider crusaders, Achilles, Helios, predator annihilators, land speeder tempests. All were developed by different chapters and yet all are used by every marine army to a greater or lesser extent.

It stands to reason that in the fang, amongst the Leann Russ tanks, we also have storm talons/ravens lurking away. We can't always get planet side with only thunder hawks and pods.

Yes, of cause all Chapter can use everything. However, every Chapter has his ethos. There's a reason why SW are not involved in Death from the Skies and the rumours say that the new SW will have no fliers. SW dislike teleportation and flying and prefer fighting/going to war on their own to feet. This is how Russ wanted to fight them. This is why I am a bit iffy about fliers for SW, but hey, Maybe they changed their mind^^

Min ig allies as descibed by blackwinter cost 530 at a min, where this formation costs 420 at a min. So the formation is cheaper, though I have to agree with azatoth, both might be fun ;)

And if space wolves don't like flying how do they get from planet to planet...? Pretty sure the feet on the ground thing is only teleporting otherwise bikes, twolves, rhinos land raiders, and land speeders would be out as well.

And from where shal we start the droppods? I dont think that the fang would be high enough. And was Russ by himself walking thru the chaos on feet after he left the Fang his last time (only until he not returned yet) maybe singing: "and i would walk 500 miles ... And i would walk 5000 more..."

May he did... But i am one of these beliving he used a more comfy (and also faster) way of traveling.

Where the feet on ground/so no teleporting is about that t.porting seems kinda magic .... And magic is warpstuff whitch is chaosstuff...

By my own... If we would got teleporting in reel life - i would never use it. Dont wanna come out with one hand on my chin and the other on my ass ...

And from where shal we start the droppods? I dont think that the fang would be high enough.

The uppermost towers of the Fang actually do penetrate the atmosphere of Fenris and are, in fact, in space. 

However, your logic is sound; it is absolutely comical to think that our imaginary SPACE Wolves, who are a Chapter of SPACE Marines, do not like to fly.  Not every battle is fought on Asaheim.

V

They won't be just AA platforms though. BS5 weapons on those platforms are murder against things on the ground.

BS5? 

Yes, of cause all Chapter can use everything. However, every Chapter has his ethos. There's a reason why SW are not involved in Death from the Skies and the rumours say that the new SW will have no fliers. SW dislike teleportation and flying and prefer fighting/going to war on their own to feet. This is how Russ wanted to fight them. This is why I am a bit iffy about fliers for SW, but hey, Maybe they changed their mind^^

But SW were included in Death from the Skies - just not a flyer.  There are rules in that book for the special upgrades that SW pilots can get.  I have not heard rumors from anything approaching a "reliable" source that SW will not get flyers - just people speculating on the forums.  I think SW definitely will get flyers.

BS5? 

That's a special rule of the formation - the Storm Raven gets the Strafing Run rule (Storm Talons already have it).

Archived