IV Grand Battalion - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors

Pyromancer

‘Heroes we were not. But victors, that we were.’

-Gharth Copenius, Collection of Broken Tears

Hello everyone. I have two more members of my tactical squad finished. I am moving along quite fast now. I am almost finished the first half of my first tactical squad, and then I have five more Tactical marines, Ten Breacher marines, Ten Tactical Support Marines, Five terminators, Ten veterans, a centurion and a praetor. After that I will just wait for Iron Warriors specific units, and maybe a heavy support squad. On that note, what are people opinion upon a fluffy armament for a Iron Warriors heavy support squad? Anyways, enough of boring talk, here are some models:

Brother Bronn and Brother Dalibor, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion, II Squad:

gallery_75567_9107_628460.jpg

Brother Bronn:

gallery_75567_9107_801139.jpggallery_75567_9107_1362415.jpg

Brother Dalibor:

gallery_75567_9107_8395.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_939070.jpg

WIP Sergeant:

gallery_75567_9107_609767.jpg

Fantastic IW. Nice and dark too.

I do have one minor criticism though which is the bases. Don't get me wrong, they look good. But to me the grass looks a bit fresh and healthy next to the rocks and dark IW.

I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to agree there, as minor as it is in comparison to your IV Legion badasses.

A thinned out wash of Agrax Earthshade should tone it down nicely.

More please.

Forte and Heathens, I have actually been using Model Railroad turf on the bases, a holdover from my grandfather's railroad days, but I am contemplating changin them to something else. I'll post a test base later.

I use wall patch for my bases. Stick the still wet patch into a tub of sand, shake off the excess, run some watered down white glue over the top to seal it in. Simple, and much cheaper than the alternative of buying lots of cork and stuff for basing.

Just an idea. Surely, you want your guys looking like they are fighting through the remnants of a crumbling fortress instead of of grass plain, right ;) 

gallery_75567_9107_1549845.jpg

So I changed the bases a little. I used sand and a darker paint on the rims, and I am really happy about the change. I really like the look of crumbled stone in a desert-ish setting, rather than in a grass field.

Edit: Hope everyone has a good and safe New Year!

I like the new base colors much better personally compared to the older ones.  These look more realistic and natural, the old ones look like cork painted to resemble stone when compared to these.  I like the brown instead of the grass too, I can't imagine anything green surviving the IW Legion making planetfall.

'Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall'

-Confucius

Sergeant Ajax Krumeon, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion, II Squad:

gallery_75567_9107_1808796.jpggallery_75567_9107_133637.jpg

WIP Breacher Marine:gallery_75567_9107_1622196.jpg

I use wall patch for my bases. Stick the still wet patch into a tub of sand, shake off the excess, run some watered down white glue over the top to seal it in. Simple, and much cheaper than the alternative of buying lots of cork and stuff for basing.

Just an idea. Surely, you want your guys looking like they are fighting through the remnants of a crumbling fortress instead of of grass plain, right msn-wink.gif

This is actually a fantastic idea that I contemplated after reading this post, but I decided against it as I already had other materials. Thanks!

I like the new base colors much better personally compared to the older ones. These look more realistic and natural, the old ones look like cork painted to resemble stone when compared to these. I like the brown instead of the grass too, I can't imagine anything green surviving the IW Legion making planetfall.

Really nice work, I really like how you get a dark and gritty look to your minatures and the new bases look much more natural and appropriate for the IW than the old grassy bases.

Thanks guys, I am really happy with the new bases. I was quite unhappy with the previous bases, but didn't have the motivation to change them until this thread.

They look great, nice and gritty brother.

re: fluffy weapons, I'd say either lots of lascannons/missiles (although this is a tad close to 40k) or autocannons and plasma cannons smile.png after they are fortress breakers...

Thanks for the feedback. I was going o go with Autocannons, but I got to thinking, and with the Steel Havocs coming out I might as well just wait for them. I also emailed Forge World, and was told that the Mk III Command models are to be released in January, so I have now changed my plans to making a command squad for my praetor. Thanks for the feedback anyways!

How come I have not seen this awesome IW thread? Weird, I hate missing out on great HH armies...

Great looking, all the IW legions I have seen so far are really well done and yours are no less badass.

Great painting there, brother! Really like how the dark iron and gold work together. This is what I've always thought IV legionaries should look, dark and gritty without drowning them in chevrons.

Look forward to seeing more.

Nice metallics!I am listening to Angel Exterminatus at the moment so I am loving them even more.Perturabo is awesome. laugh.png

Thanks guys it really helps to have all of this motivation.

I have been working on my Centurion, but I forgot to take any WIP Photos. Anyways, I will post finished photos tomorrow probably. Have a good night.

‘It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves.'
- William Shakespeare

‘Courage is not the taking of another life,

But rather the giving of your own to save many.’

-Chrysaor, Lord of the Myrmidian Cataphracts

Lieutenant Ursus Tharsan, Siegebreaker, Kingslayer, Bear of Myrmidia, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion:

gallery_75567_9107_1973325.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_1761164.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_509849.jpg

Ursus Tharsan was born in the secluded Olympia city-state of Myrmidia. Myrmidia was a paradise, but was ruled by a series of ruthless kings that were constantly at war with the larger neighboring cities. At a young age Ursus was taken from his home and trained in the arts of war. At the age of fourteen he was sent to war, already out sizing many of his overseers. During battle he happened upon a group of adult Myrmidian troops looting and beating. He attacked his allies, slaying three and saving the locals, but then he was swamped down by the rest of the Myrmidians, and beaten brutally. The Myrmidians were about to slay him, when he was saved by Chrysaor. lord of the Myrmidian Cataphracts. He was adopted into the Cataphracts ranks, rising steadily under the tutelage of Chrysaor. By the time he was seventeen he had risen to be Chrysaor’s second in command, and they were enveloped into a plot to overthrow the king’s rule. They worked quickly to gather troops and allies in the senate, and then they struck, taking the dictators hold and slaying his guards. Chrysaor and Ursus confronted the King himself, and in the duel that responded Chrysaor was slain, and as the battle wore on, Ursus landed the final blow, slaying the king. Ursus took control over the Cataphracts for almost a year, before the Emperor came to Olympia, and he was inducted into the IV Legion along with Atlas Dhoryon, the successor to the king. Upon his induction into the legion, he was placed into the IV Grand Battalion, serving in the same squad as Atlas Dhoryon. They move up the ranks quickly, both commanding their own squad and eventually Battalions. They were considered some of the greatest warriors and strategists in the Grand Battalion, with Ursus specializing in siege warfare and boarding actions, and Atlas possessing a unique skill with leadership. Ursus gained the attention of Warsmith Bardych Throssus, who was quoted saying ‘He has the body of a bear and the mind of genius.’ Upon Bardych Throssus’s interment into a dreadnought and Atlas’s rise to Warsmith, Ursus was given command of the First Battalion, IV Grand Battalion. The First Battalion consists of many varied squads, unlike other legions comparable command structures. It contains terminators squads, tactical squads, breacher squads and support squads, all made up of the Grand Battalion most experienced or talented warriors.

-Gharth Copenius, Chronicles of the Tetarteo Adelfotiita

Very nice! The only thing that I dont like is the helmet on the ground. It looks to neatly placed there. Like he put it there to take a pic of himself or something. Add more stuff like it, or remove it, I Think.

Archived