IV Grand Battalion - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors

Pyromancer

I'll be working on half my volkite support squad, then some cataphractii. I checked out your log, your work is very nice. I love the autocannon sergeant. Now I might need to get some of those. Hmmm...

‘We may be waging war against the Emperor, but that does not mean that we will embrace the powers that have embroiled other legions, nor accept any of the abominations so rampant with these heretics.’

-Gharth Copenius, Collection of Broken Tears

Brothers Bogomir and Mannus, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion, IX Squad:

gallery_75567_9107_625294.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_1222295.jpg

Sorry it has been so long everyone, studying for exams makes it difficult to find time to paint. As always comments are appreciated.

‘Rain death upon these upstarts. Let the Emperor save them now.’

-Sergeant Gharth Copenius

-Brother Delwyn and Brother Brychen, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion, IX Squad

gallery_75567_9107_420218.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_315434.jpg

Thanks everyone! I love the Volkites, they look great and fit in well with the rest of the army. Thank you for all the comments.

Some fluff that I have been working on:

There stood the Emperor of Man, resplendent in his golden armour, shining as bright as the suns of hundreds of sectors, as though all of the light in the entire universe began with him. We surrounded him, and we had all sunk to our knees at the sight of the man, the entire Grand Battalion, something that I could not recall ever happening, not since I had first laid eyes on my Primarch, so many years earlier. His hair hung to his shoulders, shimmering and silky. His eyes were strikingly blue and all knowing, and as he held my gaze for not but a second I felt a stirring in my chest.
    “Stand children. It does not suit men as noble as thou to kneel,” he said, his voice soft and eloquent. He spoke quietly, but his voice echoed throughout the hall. We stood as one, and he peered through our ranks, and then looked to Atlas Dhoryon. “Warsmith, your men are strong, and we shall need strong men in the battle tomorrow, do you not agree?”
    “Yes, my lord, they are ready,” the Warsmith replied, seemingly calm, but I detected a hint of fear in his voice. 
    “Good. You shall form the rear of our armies tomorrow.”
    Atlas balked, clear caught by surprise, but then gathered himself, “My lord, if I may. We have been fighting these rebels for many months through this system, my men are seasoned and ready for battle. They know the adversary and the terrain well, and I daresay that we have earned a chance at leading the vanguard?”
    The Emperor stared down into Atlas’s eyes for a moment, his smile gone. Suddenly the good nature that had filled the hall since the Emperor’s arrival had evaporated. The Emperor’s praetorians fidgeted slightly behind their master, their hands on their swords. “My decision is final. The Sons of Horus will lead the vanguard, and the Night Lords shall round up any stragglers that attempt to flee the capital. I shall join the XVI in the vanguard, and your men shall wait outside of the city, not to enter unless we need reinforcements. Your men have laid the groundworks of the siege, and now we shall finish the job. Do I make myself clear?”
    “Yes, my lord,” replied Atlas, who placed his right fist over his breastplate. The Emperor turned to leave followed by his Praetorians.

-Chronicles of the IV Grand Battalion, Gharth Copenius  

‘It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.’

- Niccolo Machiavelli

‘There is no honour in genocide, No glory in slaughter… I shall not be hailed as a hero because I burned the innocent. If that is the Emperor’s decree, then I ask, what gives him the right to decide who lives, and who dies?’

-Warsmith Atlas Dhoryon

Warsmith Atlas Dhoryon, Conqueror of Tol Vorbrak, IV Grand Battalion:

gallery_75567_9107_101779.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_337609.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_795911.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_1727820.jpg

Warsmith Atlas Dhoryon was born in the Olympian City state of Myrmidia. He was born a bastard son to the king of Myrmidia, the queen having died giving childbirth to twins, the only heirs to the throne. The twins, Korin and Janus, fought constantly, bickering about this and that, often who would gain the throne when their father had died. When Atlas was born, the king took him into his household and gave him the surname of Dhoryon, the name of an ancient Myrmidian hero, in an attempt to give the boy a small measure of honor. Atlas was immediately accepted by Janus, and they grew to be close friends, training in the art of war together and serving as a part of the royal army, Janus at sixteen years of age, and Atlas at only twelve, though seeing limited engagement. Korin grew deeply jealous. Having been born with two legs of differing sizes, he was unable to fight in the war, and thus spent his childhood at the senate. When Janus and Korin turned fifteen, Korin entered his father chambers late at night, slaying him in his sleep. The next day, he arrived at the senate bearing his father’s head in his hands, and wearing the crown of Myrmidia on his brow. Janus and Atlas were imprisoned and often tortured. Korin had his body modified with countless expensive surgeries, granting him superhuman strength and speed. Atlas and Janus spent three years in the dungeons until the Cataphracts seized the throne. Janus died soon after their release, having had both of his legs and arms removed at the command of Korin, and the stumps developing vicious diseases. Ursus Tharsan handed the throne to Atlas, and Atlas graciously accepted, beginning a friendship between Ursus that would have them inducted into the Iron Warriors together. Under his rule, Myrmidia flourished, growing rich and finding peace with many cities that they had been at war with because of Korin. When the Emperor arrived upon Olympia he discovered Myrmidia fairly quickly, enlisting Atlas and Ursus, along with almost a hundred other boys that did not pass the initiation into the IV. Atlas rose through the IV Grand Battalion quickly, showing extreme prowess with his twin blades, and an incredible tactical acumen. He grew to be the personal champion and head advisor of Warsmith Bardych Throssus, a hero of Terra and the Iron Warriors that had fought since the creation of the Legion. When Throssus fell upon Isryugh IV, Atlas stood above his corpse, slaying hundreds of Orks swarming through a break in the Iron Warriors walls. After the battle, he was voted into the Warsmith position, awarded the black stripe upon his helmet, a mark of honour and sacrifice in the IV Grand Battalion, and Perturabo himself awarded the Grand Battalion their own Expeditionary Fleet.

-Gharth Copenius, Chronicles of the IV Grand Battalion

‘The glow of Volkite has burned itself into my eyes. When I blink, I see the blue shine, the beautiful blue shine of sheer energy, the blue shine that can reap so much death.’

-Brother Garheth

Brother Garheth, IV Grand Battalion, I Battalion, IX Squad:

gallery_75567_9107_110424.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_8092.jpg

I also bought the new BFTBG paint, and thought that I would post the results:

gallery_75567_9107_490712.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_589443.jpg

gallery_75567_9107_1237597.jpg

@Barabbas, Flint and Anaziel: Thanks a lot guys, I am really happy with him. Your comments are what keep me updating this blog.

Looking good as always. I'm glad you went with a crisp, clean blue for your energy weapons. It looks ace.

I also like the Blood for the Blood God application. Nice little accents without overdoing it.

How do you find it to work with? So far I haven't gotten the chance, so I'm curious how it compares to the Tamiya clear red or Humbrol red.

Nice work mate! I see you're waiting on the MkIII pads that are coming out.

Do you find MkIII a bit clunky to deal with? i've kind of gone off it. It can throw up a lot of strange poses. I think i'm going MKII myself because it's much easier to reposition.

Looking forwards to more,

-skrall

I had also wanted to do a duel-wielding gladii model when those came out; nice to see someone pull off a great looking model with that in mind. You're IV Legion scoundrel, so I can't compliment you too much, but keep doing what you're doing, man. Everything looks deadly. ;)

Haha, not a problem. It's a Space Marine forum, I imagine everyone thinks of everyone else as "brother" to some degree.

Also I second Grizwald's query. I can't get that dark of a metallic even with two or three washed of Badab... 

... just... no reason. I'm curious. You might not want to check out my plog for a bit... no iron warrior trophy helms lying around or anything... <_<

I wash nuln oil over a base of boltgun metal/leadbelcher. I get a fairly similar result:

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/clarkus-maximus/IMG_0650_zps6932492e.jpg

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/clarkus-maximus/image_zps5dc7f727.jpg

Okay AA, after your wash is complete what is your highlight color? Your hazard strips are so clean how do you achieve such great results? I'm enjoying your army and I'm ready to put some paint on my 9th Grand Company. Thanks sir

@Flint: Thanks sister, the blue clashes well with the silver I think. It keeps well with the coldness, instead of a red or green. The blood is pretty good to work with. It's pretty close to a regular paint, but a little thicker and shinier. I would definitely suggest painting an extra layer near the center or edge of the surface that you are painting it on, to give the splatter a sense of depth.

@Barabbas: Thanks brother, blood makes everything better, especially when it is an indication of blunt decapitation. thumbsup.gif

@Skrall: Much appreciated brother. Forge World has informed me that the MkIII pads should be out at some point this month or the next, so I wait in excitement for those. I like the MkIII, it shows the brutality of the IV very well, and I don't find that it is too hard to pose. The only part that is a little bit difficult is the hanging piece from the chestplate, which can get in the way when your guys are turning, but other then that I really like it. MkII is cool too though.smile.png

@Darth: Thanks alot! I wanted to do something somewhat out of the ordinary with the Warsmith, and not just a thunder hamer and shield. As for the comment about our legion, all I can say is that it was people like you and your snide comments that caused us to go rogue in the first place.

@FNS: While you can asked AA, I thought I would tell you that I used Ironbreaker. Hope that helps.

@Noserenda: As I sad above, blood makes everything better!

Archived