HH Imperial Fists helmet colour

Dorns Templar

Hi everyone. I'm just about to embark on an Imperial Fists project, and would like to know about the helmet colour. Half the pictures I've seen show them in yellow, and the others show them wearing red helmets with a white stripe.

A little guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd almost have to ask for a source since the cover of Shadows of Treachery definitely shows yellow... Not to mention the Battle of Phall display board.

Shadows of Treachery

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/poster-shadows-of-treachery.jpg

Battle of Phall Display

blogger-image-1706929597.jpg

blogger-image--768006725.jpg

blogger-image--2053041531.jpg

All that yellow. Hurts my eyes.

I'll agree that the red helms look a lot better, and it wouldn't surprise me if the old Ian Watson IF stuff spells them out as wearing red and white helms, but that stuff is all well after the Heresy, if I remember correctly.  Everything I could find from the Heresy shows the golden saffron helmets.

I too had this dilemma when I started up my HH era fists army. I decided to just go with Yellow helmets and make the veterans have red ones. Right wrong or indifferent, it adds a bit of distinction between the sergeants and veterans. In the end, do what you think is best.

White is the mark of veterancy, red is for sergeants. Before the heresy, red helmets were a sign for a Marine marked for censure according to Thiel. That's the "latest" official interpretation of the matter.

Maybe the IF sergeants had red helmets all the time, and it was just a mark of censure for the Ultramarines. The Fist sergeants were confused about why the Blueys were always pointing fingers at them and laughed behind their backs, so Guilliman standardized the issue for his codex.

Honestly, my Watch will retain yellow helms across the board (line brethren and vets), and my Sergeants will either take white helms or gold trim on their plate to mark them out.

Red on yellow is so damn ugly, IMO (Yeah, that includes the BA's weird yellow helms). White and yellow looks so much better. If all fails when the IF HH stuff comes out and shoots my idea full of holes, I'll retain that it was a Unification-era mark that was kept out of respect of those who came before.

What i was trying to say was: The only "official" indication of red helmets meaning *anything at all* pre-heresy is Thiel's mark of censure, and he was an Ultramarine. For the Fists and all the other legions it could mean anything from sergeant status to favourite color, for we don't have official word about them (yet).

Archived