Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

His throat aint blobby, its all the nerves and veins popping from all the pent up RAGE he is releasing  :biggrin.: Either that or Nurgle has  given him a severe throat infection :tongue.:

On a serious note, he is looking suitably menacing. Nice use of Enkomi's chaplain torso. Are you using the bull's head as some personal heraldry, or is he a traitor from the Minotaurs who has succumbed to Khorne?

Edited by dantay_xv

Cheers for the feedback, guys! The model needs some more cleanup work, of course, but I am already pretty happy with the general direction. And yes, if I decide to keep that bull's head motif on his breastplate, it will be used as some kind of personal heraldry (he does look like a guy whose epithet might be something like "The Bull", doesn't he? ;) ).

Speaking of which, here's another model that might end up in the same project as the last guy:

apothecary-early-wip-01.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, this latest model might seem a teeny tiny bit familiar to some of you...?

Looks good only wee nit-pick, is that the apothecary pad should be on the opposite shoulder, but that is me just being pedantic.

Looks like a pre Khorne apothecary, to go with the models you have had done previously for your dreads, pre and post heresy?

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Teetengee: Oh, you're probably right: The base he has right now is merely for WIP purposes and may be subject to change :wink:

@ dantay_xv: You're definitely on the right track there... :wink:

As for the Apothecary pad, I would have preferred to switch it around as well, but that particular narthecium arm is constructed in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to convert without a pretty big danger of ruining the piece, so I guess I'll have to diverge from canon in this particular case :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cool medic, Kraut!

About the helixed-pad-should-be-on-the-other-side-but-the-narthecium-is-too-delicate-to-convert-and-so-people-will-nag-you-about-it problem. Just flip the picture horizontally. I won't tell if you won't. ;)  

Besides, if the symbol on the wrong side being such a problem, why not start about the fact that the whole symbol is wrong, and 38,000 years later, mankind is still copying the initial mistake of the US army medical core and using the caduceus as a symbol of medicine, instead of the Rod of Asclepius. Like the idiots they are. Mankind, I mean. Well, technically the US army medical core are part of that, but who cares. Do I sound pedantic? I sound pedantic. :tongue.: Why are we all sounding pedantic on your WIP, while you should be posting more awesome models.

Are you planning to do Heresy now? Please tell me you're planning to do Heresy now. I want you to do Heresy now.

Well, since posting that by itself would be kind of pointless, I'm going to critique your models.

The Bull is... interesting, to say the least. The concept is good, and overall it's a well-executed miniature, but something about the arm position seems a bit off to me. The sword arm seems to be at a strange angle, as the arm itself, together with the body, seems like he's about to swing and wop off someone's noggin, but the angle of the wrist and the sword don't support it. Unfortunately, it looks like you've used an arm from the Raptor kit, which means it would be a royal pain in the nuts to reposition the wrist.  However, if you did reposition it to a slightly more outwardly facing position I feel as though that would bring the flow of the model together better. Secondly, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the head. Though I am aware that you're a big proponent of bare heads on your models, this particular one seems, again, just off.  It seems to mostly due to the putty(?) holding it to the actual body, so it might be fine once it's actually glued together and painted up. Finally, his off hand bothers me. I don't know why exactly, but it does.

I like the new version of Brother Dumah, though.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

@ InsanePsychopath: As it happens, the pictures in this post are still valid -- they are only missing the Chaos Knight, and you should be able to find photos of that model all over the last couple of pages of this thread :wink: So this is still a pretty adequate picture of the entire army so far:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715081-Army%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

@ Auggie: Hmm, to be honest, I have always interpreted the Apothecary symbol more as a stylised DNA double helix, which would fit their ultimate function rather well, don't you think? :wink:

@ The Psycho: I agree that the "Bull" will need some additional cleanup work before he's completely presentable -- you've hit the nail regarding Brother Dumah, though: I am super happy that somebody recognised the character, because I wanted to keep him close enough to his 40k counterpart to be recognisable without merely building a mostly identical model.

Speaking of which, here's the finished conversion of him:

world-eaters-apothecary-dumah-30k-wip-1.

world-eaters-apothecary-dumah-30k-wip-2.

And on a related note, I'll just be leaving this here for now (still WIP, of course)...

world-eaters-contemptor-30k-wip-1.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, guys! Regarding the head, nothing's permanent yet, but I do have to say I rather like it this way, in spite of the size -- I definitely wanted to get rid of the standard head because it was so very bland -- definitely one of the stock model's biggest problems.

@ Tarvick: The model was carefully cut apart at the hip for a slightly more interesting pose. However, the single most important change, in hindsight, was to carefully cut off the right leg at the pelvis area and slightly rotate it outwards -- the Contemptor looks far less pidgeon-toed now, if you ask me, and it's such a small change, really. Oh, the Keres arm was also cut apart and slightly reposed, btw.

Nice work on the contemptor, although I must say that i'd prefer a smaller head since the (almost) marine sized head seems like such a distinctive part of the design. It's the first mayor conversion of the new kit i've seen btw, which is cause for kudos in it self, I find it hard to start working on something without some inspirational examples to get the ideas flowing.

Quick question if I may, how hard would it be to cut up and repose the legs? Havn't seen the kit in person yet and it's hard to tell for sure from the sprue pics

Thanks a lot, everyone! :)

My impression of the plastic Contemptor so far is that the kit has very good and very bad parts: The amount of detail is very nice, especially for what basically amounts to a snapfit model. It's very easy to put together (only slightly more complicated than the AOBR Dread). And it seems to be just as tall as a FW Contemptor.

On the other hand, the model is generic to the point of blandness (which, I'll admit, was probably the point: You are supposed to be able to use this for every legion, after all). This is easily remedied by adding some bitz. But they did choose the least interesting pose on the planet for some reason -- I especially dislike the slightly inwards turned legs that make the Contemptor look like an IT girl posing on a red carpet ;)

It's fairly easy, however, to alter the pose by making some careful cuts: Separating the torso and legs at the hip is very easy to do and allows for some additional articulation. The same goes for the arms: Cut between the pauldron and the elbow, and not only can you repose the arm, but this would also be the perfect position for inserting a magnet, I guess.

As for reposing the legs, that's a bit more complicated: It's easy enough to separate the legs from the pelvis, and this allows for some essential conversion options, allowing you to get rid of that pidgeon-toed stance. Everything that involves making the legs bend at the knee, however, seems very complicated and hardly worth the trouble: I suppose it might be possible, but you'll lose either the upper legs or the kneedpads (or both). One possible way would be to carefully cut out the lower legs and use (40k) Dreadnought legs to rebuild the upper legs -- they are virtually indistinguishable.

Anyway, in my case, I went for some fairly subtle tweaks that still make the model look far less awkward, if you ask me.

Oh, and while I was pretty proud of my head conversion, I did try out another head -- and I have to say I find myself preferring it after all. Take a look:

world-eaters-contemptor-30k-wip-5.jpg

world-eaters-contemptor-30k-wip-6.jpg

world-eaters-contemptor-30k-wip-7.jpg

Granted, it's a bit smaller than a Contemptor head, but it does make for a sleaker, more agile look, don't you think? Plus it makes the model resemble the "official" FW World Eaters Contemptor. So, what do you think? Should I keep the new head or revert to the old version?

world-eaters-contemptor-30k-wip-8.jpg