Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Is the rosarius hand glued into position? It looks a little too high up on the wrist to me (as in moving it towards the ground would make the wrist line up better, at least as far as I can tell).  Otherwise, it all looks good and the motion (or lack thereof) looks natural now.

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

1) really like the close-combat weapon on the last Khorne Dreadnought. :thumbsup:

The impaler spike looks really scary. How did you make it?

2)Is the chapter master with the rosariusthe beginning of a new project?

Looks nice with that pose and his unique set of armour.

1. The Impaler is basically the stock arm from the Librarian Dreanought with an added chain winch (made from some Ogre Kingdom bitz) and a different tip (made from a spike from one of the cityfight ruin parts). I did use a new shaft for the spike (from some model truck kit), but it would have been just as easy to just use the standard weapon and exchange the tip.

2. Not the beginning of  a new project, but very much a new part of an ongoing project, really: My INQ28 collection. This is the other big hobby project I keep adding to, and while I don't want to go into too much detail here, as it's quite a subject, here are some quick snaphots of my entire (painted) INQ28 collection, just to give you an idea:

inq28-collection-spring-2016-snapshot-2.

inq28-collection-spring-2016-snapshot-1.

inq28-collection-spring-2016-snapshot-3.

@ Teetengee: Hmm, I actually spent quite a bit of figuring out the angle of that wrist to make it look natural, so I really think it's quite alright -- I will admit that it does look ever sol slightly wonky in the photos, though :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

-snip-

@ Teetengee: Hmm, I actually spent quite a bit of figuring out the angle of that wrist to make it look natural, so I really think it's quite alright -- I will admit that it does look ever sol slightly wonky in the photos, though :wink:

The angle is perfect, I was thinking the center of the wrist on the arm didn't quite match up with the center of the wrist on the hand. Might just be the pictures though.

There's really no way of saying this without sounding petulant, but still: Guys, thanks for the likes and all, but maybe you could take the time to comment as well? Because likes on their own just seem like such a vapid form of interaction to me. Sorry for being a crybaby like that, but this is something that keeps bothering me (and that I actively try to stop when looking at other people's work myself).

@ Teetengee: Ah, I see what you mean: Still, the hand seems quite alright when seen firsthand, so it really must be the pictures.

There's really no way of saying this without sounding petulant, but still: Guys, thanks for the likes and all, but maybe you could take the time to comment as well? Because likes on their own just seem like such a vapid form of interaction to me. Sorry for being a crybaby like that, but this is something that keeps bothering me (and that I actively try to stop when looking at other people's work myself).

This. I know how you feel. I myself follow quite a lot of threads, and almost always leave a comment after each update by the OP. It's just a nicer way to show your appreciation, and speaking for myself, I know that comments keep me going, not likes. 

That being said: dude. You have quite a lot of INQ28 already. I had no idea all those different minis were for that particular game. Is it fun to play?

Liking the INQ28 guys, such a wide range of parts kicking around in there, especially liking the pit slaves/combat servitors made from the Bloodreavers/ork parts.

I too share your opinion on the likes/comments matter; comments just provide that much more motivation.

That INQ28 warband looks truly fantastic! I'm really loving the pit slave gang and the brute based on the Rat Ogre in particular.

You know what I'd love to see you do? A kitbashed plastic Penitent Engine. After seeing your Wargrinder and your truly excellent plastic Sister, I reckon you could do the concept justice.

Now a KrautScientist Penitent engine that would be a great thing to see. 

great work as always, the inquisition collection group shot is looking impressive.

As for comments Vs likes I much prefer to have something to read after I've posted something and feel a bit disheartened if I'm putting multiple posts with nothing in between. On the other hand I get that trying to find something constructive to say beyond a basic comment of approval can be tricky especially if it's your 10th thread checked out that morning and you don't want to have some Ebay style copy past feedback.

Dude honestly though you rarely do wrong and your conversions are planned out and well thought out, I wish I could figure out exactly what to say but usually you've covered every basis, hell look at your army shots everything is near perfect and there's not much anyone can say as long as your happy with the end result

Cheers, guys! :)

Just to clarify, I don't have anything against Likes per se, I just feel that, on their own and unless they are backed by comments, they can be almost...well, disappointing. At the same time, there's always the temptation to just click Like on something and be done with it, and I've certainly been guilty of doing that myself in the past! But ultimately, it's a pretty empty kind of interaction (and also the reason, incidentally, why I think Facebook is far from a good platform for hobby related projects). Anyway, the rule of thumb I try to live by nowadays is this: If I have the time to look and to click on the Like button, I also have the time for a comment, however short it may be, even if I return to post the comment a day or two later. And if coming up with something original to say is hard, well, we can always rest assured that coming up with finished models was harder ;) Alright, enough sermonising!

@ Auggs: Cheers, mate! I have to admit that I aven't even played a single game of INQ28 yet... o_O So far it's been all about the painting and building for me, and  about coming up with interesting characters and a world for them to live in. That being said, I think the actual gaming experience depends on the ruleset you choose (the original Inquisitor rules allow for a lot of detail and subtlty, by all accounts, but are also rather clunky. Inquisimunda is probably far faster paced, but also far more combat-centric) and the people you play with -- the latter if arguably even more important than with 40k. But in case you're interested, you should really take the time to check out the Ammobunker's INQ28 section, as it's a really fascinating forum (it's basically for INQ28 what the B&C is for power armoured factions).

@ Squigsquasher: A penitent engine, eh? To be honest, the way the concept has been executed so far has never managed to spark my imagination -- and there's also the fact that Toni Sokura of Iron Sleet has basically already come up with the perfect plastic rendition, so I'm not really sure whether there's anything more worth exploring in that direction -- we'll see...

Sooo, anyway:

It's ETL season once more, and even though it has taken me a while to figure out what I want to do for the event, it was quite clear to me that I would have to atone for last year's failure. By the same token, there is only really one faction for me - as usual - and it's Chaos, of course. So I went through my collection and chose a couple of models that I ould like to finally see finished, and they will make up my first vow. I'll also be starting small this time around, lest I end up failing again, due to a too ambitious first vow.

Oh, and - entirely true to form - I'll be diving headlong into the wonderful world of "Counts as" again ;)

So, without further ado, here are the models that will make up my first vow for ETL:

el-2016-1st-vow-1.jpg

From left to right: My version of Skulltaker, a corrupted Legio Cybernetica war engine serving as a counts as Contemptor, and Huntmaster Dumah, Keeper of the Seed, the 4th assault company's Chief Apothecary and Primus Medicae (and also my counts as version of Fabius Bile).

Here are some more pictures:

counts-as-skulltaker-wip-1.jpg

counts-as-skulltaker-wip-2.jpg

Coming up with a paint scheme for my Skulltaker that looks great while rearranging the different parts of my World Eaters recipe should be fun -- hopefully! ;)

The converted Kastelan was built back when the AdMech models were released, and after a final round of tweaking, it's finally time to get some colour on this guy!

khornate-kastelan-wip-2.jpg

khornate-kastelan-wip-1.jpg

khornate-kastelan-wip-5.jpg

And finally, dear Apothecary Dumah: This poor guy was part of last year's (failed) vow, so it feels like I will need to finally paint him just to break the curse. I'd also really love to see him finished, though, because I think he's a rather clever conversion ;)

el-2016-1st-vow-2.jpg

So yeah, keep your fingers crossed for me! And, as always, let me know what you think! :)

Damn, KS, that Cybernetica war engine is something else! I love it! Dumah looks like he'll be promising too, and I am loving that Skulltaker! He needs his cloak, but that aside I think he's pretty much perfect (which is saying something as I adore the official Skulltaker model).

Re: the Penitent Engine: Whilst I agree Iron Sleet's Void Vehicle is superb (heck, it got featured in White Dwarf) it isn't quite Penitent Engine-y enough to me (probably because it's a fairly unique...thing in its own right). I think if it had the traditional "Sentinel legs" and fancy buzzsaws of the actual model (which is a thing of beauty despite its age and how difficult it is to build) I'd consider it more of a definitive plastic PE, but as is, whilst I do love it, I think you could do better.

But anyway, excellent work as always.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! Regarding that counts as Skulltaker, though: Nah, no cloak for him: The armour and trophy rack with skulls are actually supposed to stand in for that particular piece of wargear, as I wanted a leaner, meaner look for the character.

I may throw a lot of likes your way, mostly because theres only so many times you can say "ooooh this is cooool" without feeling a bit silly :D 

But Ooooo theres so much cooool things on this thread :D 

The mech reminds me a lot of the Circle Domitar from FW, but that's mostly because of the hammer. I really dig it. That front armor looks very heavy, but I suppose it should be, huh? It looks as though he's wearing armor over his actual plate. Because he is. The work on the forward hand is really cool. I've always loved asymmetry in design and in your case it makes me think of gladiators, but again that's entirely on purpose, I presume. 

As said in the Etl topic...

I'd like to comment the fact that I like the fact that you dont'like Likes as much as you like comments!

(This is my best pun in English yet ^^ )

TS:DR I also like comments a lot more than simple "Likes" for the same reasons (while, for me as a newbie, "Likes" are always welcome!) 

Still can't get where the parts of the hammer came from!

But wait...the count as Bile torso comes from the dark angel bike sergent!? That is the kind of subtle conversion I love your models for...they don't seem kitbash at all!

Cheers, guys! :)

@ JeffTibbetts: Some parts of the Kastelan conversion were carefully planned (the gladiator angle, in particular), while others were mostly happy accidents (figuring out the Bloodthirster breastplate fit on there so snugly, the Domitar resemblance, as that model wasn't even available yet, back when I converted the piece,...). Anyway, I am still fairly happy with the conversion and think it has managed to age fairly gracefully, even in the light of Forgeworld releasing somewhat similar war engines recently.

@ Filkarion: Thanks, mate! The hammer is just a normal GK Nemesis Dreadknight hammer with the actual hammer head replaced with the head of a plastic Bloodthirster hammer. And yeah, the Apothecary's torso did come from the Dark Vengeance biker sergeant -- well spotted! ;)

Again, thanks guys! :)

So here's another  ETL-related update -- kinda. I's been quite a while since I last painted a new model for my World Eaters, so to ease myself back into the flow of things, I decided to paint something quick and fun to get a taste for all that red again ;)

Back when Age of Sigmar was released, I instantly felt that the huge icon of Khorne carried by that Bloodsecrator of Khorne (what a briliiantly imbecilic name, btw) was far too huge for any infantry model, but would work for a Knight or Titan -- well, I went back and used it to built an optional back banner fpr Gilgamesh, which I am currently painting. Take a look:

knight_banner_wip.jpg

Oh yes, that will do nicely.

Speaking of Gilgamesh, I couldn't help but notice that the braziers on the exhausts (from the Warshrine kit I think?) still have decidedly non-Khornate Chaos symbols on them...including Slaanesh. Sorry if it sounds like a nitpick, but your work (and the rest of Gilgamesh) is normally up to such a high standard I couldn't help but mention it.