Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Hey auggie, I did say that it was an opening....never give me an opening mwahahahahaha

Well methinks Kraut needs to kick his hosting system then...or set some servitor to task...or...well just hit it hard with a goddamned hammer...an iron warrior hammer.

Anyways..the metal combo was really cool, I thought it was painted, not sprayed. Bloody smooth that man

@ Andvarr A: My image hosting is quite alright, but I spent most of the week on a short seaside vacation, and for all the many comforts my hotel offered, a stable internet connection was not among them :wink:

@ lionofjudah: Cheers, mate! You'll be happy to learn that I've whipped up a small tutorial for that particular vial effect, as it's the same one I used on my World Eaters apothecary. The tutorial can be found further up in the thread or here on my blog.

So anyway, most of the week was spent gazing out to see and contemplating life in general and some possible upcoming hobby projects in particular:

seaside.jpg

But right after arriving home earlier today, I made some final tweaks to the apothecary (the base notwithstanding) and took some new photos. So here's another attempt at sharing them with you :wink:

First up, the finished Apothecary:

iron-warriors-apothecary-wip-8.jpg

iron-warriors-apothecary-wip-9.jpg

iron-warriors-apothecary-wip-10.jpg

And here's my (very small) Iron Warriors collection so far:

iron-warriors-killteam-wip-2.jpg

Judging by the actual Killteam rules, the Terminator Lord in the back will be surplus to requirements, but he really was my proof of concept model to test the waters.  Now the next step will be to finish the Apothecary’s (32mm) base and to rebase the two guys on the left on the new, bigger bases, while I am at it. And then I think I’ll ultimately return to this project and add another two or three members (two have already been built, check them out here).

Anyway, this should fix the earlier issue with the images! As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

iron-warriors-killteam-wip-4.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

That apothecary looks so menacingly. Using that particular head for him was a great choice. Love it. In fact, you´ve got real panache for the IV Legion. I´m particularly looking forward to the breacher. The trencher´s left leg, though, I´m not sure about. You indeed wrote that you expected  it'd be a divisive choice, and as such I'm in the camp that considers the peg-legged look of it to be a tiny bit too much. I applaud your idea of trying to convey the duality of the augment: both as a sophisticated replacement and as a possible weakness. But I think there are opportunities to show off weakness without the flimsy look. 

Incidentally, I hope you had fun at the sea - and was a bit surprised seeing you one the beach without having dug a hole in the sand! :D :p 

Hidden Content

For those not in the know: that wasn't a joke about trenches, but a joke between neighbouring countrymen referencing the common stereotype among the Dutch of German tourists claiming a piece of the beach as their temporal property by digging a hole and sitting in it. I honestly have no idea how it came about and if it even has a basis in reality - and even if it is known among our German friends. Krauty?  :wink:

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Regarding the leg, I see where you're coming from, but there was one scene in Storm of Iron that really spoke to me for some reason: In that scene, one of the Warsmith's most important henchmen gets trapped between rocks due to his augmetic leg, and I found that depiction of bionics as something that can be powerful, but also potentially detrimental, rather fascinating, and I really wanted to explore that idea. Well, that and I always thought bionic legs that were basically indistinguishable from regular armoured legs are a bit boring...

Regarding the practice of digging holes on the beach: When I was a little boy, it was really popular to build some kind of wall/sand fort around your beach chairs, and pretty much every family would end up with a fort of their own. You very seldomly see this custom being practised today, though, and that kind of territorialism seems to be frowned upon. That being said, when I first arrived at the beach on Tuesday, a little boy was hard at work digging a huge hole right next to my beach chair, and he got to about 1.5 metres -- and then the wind had mostly filled the hole back in with sand the next day...

Methinks an IW contingent is joining the hunt

Hmm, I don't really see these as a new army -- or even a dedicated detachment, to be honest. I am much more interested in something smaller and more focused - like a Killteam - because that allows me to focus on each member of the team and tweak every single feature. Turn in into another army, and the fun goes out of the window ;) A Killteam's just big enough to do everything I want to try, but small enough to not feel like homework.

@KrautScientist - homework?! What is this kindergarten?

You're asking me this on a forum dedicated to grown men (and women) playing games involving little plastic supermen with portable rocket launchers? Of course this is kindergarten, turned up to eleven, where all all the kids have too much disposable income and/or too little impulse control. ;)

Seriously, though: Building five of those massive guys is fun. Having to come up with two dozen of them is not. Or rather, I already have an army project where I have to do just that, yet I am also in love with some of the other traitor legions (albeit not to the same degree as I love the World Eaters), so smaller spin off projects and Killteams like these are great for indulging myself and working with a slightly different visual language every now and then. If one of those projects should spin off into its own army project or influence my World Eaters army, that's cool. But it's not something I am actually going for.

Edited by KrautScientist

Ich have nur jetzt vetstanden, dass du Deutscher bist...

Well all of youe IW look nice, what more can I say? My favourite is the one with the helmet from khornate knights (I believe, don't remember the exact name of the kit) tbh. The apothecary is good, yet something is missing, I don't know what exactly. I think it's the matter of personal preference.

Cheers, guys! :)

I can see you building either a Noise Marine kill team or even a death Guard one....

Funny you should mention the Death Guard, because it only just occured to me last week that the Plague Marine squad I painted à propos of nothing early last year would make for a pretty serviceable Killteam:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/5/5/798036-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Death%20Guard%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Nurgle%2C%20Plague%20Marines.jpg

There's an old metal icon bearer that still needs to be painted for the squad to be completed, but yeah. Plus I have a squad of five true scale, Putrid Blightking-based Plague Marines that would make an even cooler Killteam, if I could only get them painted ;)

@ DarkVen: Vielen Dank! ;)

I totally agree about the helmet on the IW champ: It came from the Skullcrushers kit and turned out to be an ideal IW helmet, once I had carefully removed the Khornate bunny ears. To be perfectly honest, the conversion only really happened because of that helmet ;)

[...].... yet I am also in love with some of the other traitor legions (albeit not to the same degree as I love the World Eaters), so smaller spin off projects and Killteams like these are great for indulging myself and working with a slightly different visual language every now and then. ...[...]

Ooooooh please do a Night Lord. Pretty please, with sugar on top. :laugh.:  

[...].... yet I am also in love with some of the other traitor legions (albeit not to the same degree as I love the World Eaters), so smaller spin off projects and Killteams like these are great for indulging myself and working with a slightly different visual language every now and then. ...[...]

Add the cherry and some icing and I think you might have him hahaha

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

Add the cherry and some icing and I think you might have him hahaha

Oh, I would love to do a Night Lord at some point -- in fact, it's a bit of a long-running project for me to want to eventually come up with one "proof of concept" model for each of the traitor legions, similar to what kizzdougs did with his fantastic 30k project. That said, I will only build that Night Lord once I have come up with my own take on the subject matter, and I would prefer it to be something I haven't seen done better yet -- and people like Auggie, Dan the Daemon, DarkVen or Brother Heinrich are not really making that particular task any easier for me :wink:

Anyway, I finally have another update for you, even if it's only a small one. I realise I have been taking my sweet time with this, but the base for my Iron Warriors Apothecary is finally done.

I give you Apothecary Phastos of the Iron Warriors:

apothecary-phastos-of-the-iron-warriors-

Now I wanted to include a little "special effect" on the base, both to support the model's narrative and because I had pledged this guy as a "trophied" model for the Iron Without event over in the chaos section. So I placed a fallen Imperial Fist at Phastos's feet, trampled into the mud underfoot:

What's more, if you look really closely, you can see a telltale hole punched into the flex fitting covering the Astartes' throat: It's where Phastos has just used his Narthecium gauntlet to extract his fallen loyalist cousin's geneseed -- after all, the Iron Warriors have been known to use other legions' geneseed to create new legionaries:

In fact, that's why I wanted an Apothecary as one of my Killteam's archetypes in the first place!

In terms of my Call of Chaos vow, this means two down, three left to go. And I still have quite a bit of time. Wish me luck :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Love your Iron Warriors, they have that 'well weathered' look that seems to suit them so well. As ever, great, seemless conversion and great painting :thumbsup: Love the base btw, an idea that I would love to pilfer at some point. Very well executed - how did you do the mud effect? May just be the light, but the Imperial Fists eyes look a bit bright, I love the colour of them, and would look great on an 'alive' marine, but look a bit bright for a prone and butchered dude.

Great work however, you seem to be enjoying the change of pace :smile.:

Cheers, mate! :)

The mud was actually really easy to do: The texture itself was created using Vallejo's Sandy Paste (probably my new favourite basing tool), which was then merely painted with Vallejo Charred Brown and covered in Gloss Varnish.

You have definitely got a point regarding the eye lens on the IF, although I felt I needed a point of focus in there somewhere (do to some of the detail getting lost), and the eye seemed like a reasonable option ;)