Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Haha, cheers, buddy! I am so happy you remembered that this is supposed to be a younger Deracin, as well! Making him look like a younger version of the character while also keeping some of the 40k version's attributes was a fun, yet also slightly challenging task. Glad it seems to have worked out so far! :)

Good to see you back, KS. And congrats on the lustrum - I knew you started on this board a couple months before I did, but I had no idea your blog had been running for far longer than that - an amazing achievement for which you should be proud. :tu: 

Onwards to five more!!

The pose of that techmarine is great and I love the brutality he exudes through the giant axe and his menacing look. The backpack is a great conversion idea which I am definitely going to steal. You´re also getting better and better at that gorgeous XII Legion white of yours. I like all those parts of the model. But... his legs are a problem for me, which make me dislike the whole ensemble of the miniature. I think the legs are too large for his torso and make the marine look way out of proportion. I think if you put a spacer between the legs and the torso, that would alleviate the problem, but right now he looks like he has no abdominal at all. Sorry...  :sad.:

Thanks again, guys! :)

@ Nemac Vradon: Changing the Contemptor's pose was actually really easy and merely required three careful cuts: The torso was separated from the legs to allow for a greater degree of articulation. The Kheres arm was cut apart below the shoulder pad and glued back together at a slightly different angle, opening up the pose. And, most crucially, the right leg was cut off at the pelvis and reattached at a slightly different angle, in order to, once again, open up the pose and get rid of the ridiculously pidgeon-toed stance of the stock model. And that was it!

@ Auggs: Hmm, you know what, a spacer would probably have been a good idea at the building stage -- there's no way I am taking this guy apart again now, though ;) That being said, while the proportions may be ever so slightly off now, I have a feeling it might actually have been even worse, had I messed around with the torso as well.

When all is said and done, I needed something to make 30k Deracin resemble the 40k version without recreating that version's bulk and baroque look outright. In the end, the chaos warrior legs were a great shortcut to achieve just that, and I think I'll just have to live with the model's shortcomings.

Deracin

the Keeper of the Forge, IVth assault company Techmarine, XII Legio Astartes

“To think we lost a brilliant mind like that! But how should we have known? A jewel like that man’s mind, hidden amid the midden heap that was his legion. A genius fallen among the butchers. Even as we fight his daemonic creations today, we can only wonder about the marvels he could have brought to our Imperium.
There are those who look at the Istvaan Atrocity or the Siege of Terra, and who count the dead and the debt Imperium paid in flesh and blood during those dark times. But the true tally of the Heresy is measured not in bodies, but in minds forever lost to our cause, and therein lies the true tragedy.”

Archmagos Veneratus Sacharia Hyle, The Age of Scouring, M31

30k-deracin-1.jpg

30k-deracin-2.jpg

“Aye, Nove Shendak cost me half of my body. But in the end, those injuries were what let me keep all of my wits, and for that I will always remember that blasted hellscape with a certain …fondness.”

Techmarine Deracin

30k-deracin-3.jpg

30k-deracin-4.jpg

30k-deracin-5.jpg

During the time of the Great Crusade, when the XIIth Astartes Legion was still known as the War Hounds, brother Deracin was a brilliant and ferocious warrior who could be found at the forefront of every battle. This zeal cost him dearly when he sustained horrific injuries during the Nove Shendak campaign, requiring extensive augmentic reconstruction work to be saved. Worse still than the lost limbs was the heavy nerve damage Deracin incurred, damage that necessiated complex cranial implants to keep him combat-worthy. A lesser man might have been interred into the sarcophagus of a dreadnought due to such injuries, but Deracin trained relentlessly to overcome his injuries and push the artificial parts of his body to the limit, trying to prove to his brethren that his “reconstruction” hadn’t dulled his edge one bit.

All of this should be for naught, however, once the legion had been reunited with its Primarch and renamed the “World Eaters”: Angron ordered his Apothecaries and Techmarines to outfit the whole legion with the Butcher’s Nails, implants patterned after those he had received as a gladiator on the world of Nuceria.

The nails implanted into the Primarch’s skull were artifacts from the Dark Age of Technology, and the Techmarines’ dabbling in archaeotech was far from an exact science, producing all kinds of unforeseen incidents. As a consequence, the implants Deracin had received earlier to mend his injuries interfered with the nails, preventing him from utilising his full potential on the battlefield. For Angron, a legionnaire that couldn’t unlock the nails’ full power could only be considered a failure. So Deracin found himself relegated to the rear guard in more and more battles, sidelined and tasked with petty battle logistics and mundane assignments, and growing ever more frustrated.

It was Lord Captain Lorimar who discovered that, deprived of a chance to prove himself in battle, Deracin had begun to apply himself to the maintenance of the legions’ wargear and weaponry, demonstrating a brilliant grasp of technology and an intuitive understanding of even the most complex mechanisms. So Lorimar requested Deracin for his company and let him be trained as a Techmarine. And it was then that brother Deracin found his true calling:

He may have been a brilliant fighter, but as a Techmarine, Deracin became a marvel. His brilliant, analytical mind allowed him to construct mechanisms on par with the most advanced work of the Mechanicus. His work earned him the envy of numerous Techmarines from different companies and, indeed, other Legiones Astartes. In time, even Angron himself began to display a sort of grudging respect for the son he had despised. And through fateful irony, the implants that prevented Deracin from tapping into the Butcher’s Nails’ full potential actually kept his brilliant mind intact, even as the rest of the legion descended into frenzy and insanity.

30k-deracin-6.jpg

So here's my finished World Eaters Techmarine, base and all. This has been an interesting case, because the model is a younger incarnation of a character from my 40k World Eaters army, Huntmaster Deracin. So the challenge was to create a model that hints at the character's later incarnation without going totally overboard. Here's a comparison with both versions of Deracin:

deracin-then-and-now-2.jpg

deracin-then-and-now-3.jpg

40k Deracin is quite a beast, in his massive and baroque armour -- and let's not forget that rather monstrous servo-harness! So the three goals here were to a) build a model that would look reasonably like it was the same guy :cool.: hint at some of the design cues of the 40k version and c) still read as a 30k Techmarine. Looking at it now, I think I've done a reasonably good job on the model!

So that means two down, one to go -- and about six weeks to finish my Angron model. Sounds about right :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

30k-world-eaters-and-techmarine-2.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

I love that you're making all these 30K versions of your age-old (and even recent) 40K characters! That's such an inspired approach to the hobby :tu: I'm also glad to see that 40K Deracin has developed a 'gut' for killing.... Eh? Eh? Hunch hunch wink wink!? Get it? 

Hidden Content

Apologies for my awful play on words. I should really be put in punitentiary...

Hidden Content

ok seriously, I'm really sorry 

Thanks, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Hur-de-dur ;) Lame arse pun aside (just kidding, by the way: If nothing else, I appreciate the effort), yeah, it's really a lot of fun to come up with believable 30k versions of my 40k characters. It's also a tough balancing act, because there's no way all of them would already have been commanders and officers ten millennia earlier, even if you account for the possibility of time running differently in the great eye. And there will also have to be some "original" 30k characters without a 40k counterpart, just to add a bit of realism and originality to the equation ;)

Hey everyone, a small update for today: Thinking about how to paint my FW Angron model (the third model for my Loyalty and Treachery vow) has unexpectedly lead to a minor breakthough on another project, namely to convert yet another version of Angron based on the freebie Slaughterpriest that came with the first issue of the "new" White Dwarf.

Now my idea was to create a "missing link", so to speak, between Forgeworld's version of Angron (showing him in the latter stages of the Great Crusade) and my early gladiatorial take on the Primarch:

angron-thalkr-lord-of-the-red-sands-11.j

Now I wanted this new version to take some cues from Wayne England's depiction of Angron from the old Horus Heresy trading card game:

angron-by-wayne-england.jpg

And while my original attempt didn't really go anywere, I just had an idea yesterday. So here's the model as it looks right now:

we_angron-wip-1.jpg

we_angron-wip-2.jpg

As you can see, most parts of him are still only tacked together, but I do think I am on the right track.

Once again, getting the head and Butcher's Nails just so was very important, and I am pretty happy with the result:

we_angron-wip-3.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Yet another epic quest started!  Angry looks very promising atm. My only concern is that khornate sigil, but I assume it will disappear since in the GC he wasn't worshipping the special K.

The Butcher's Nails are spot on, and so is the axe. Looking forward to see more of your art.

Cheers!

He looks like it will be an interesting project! I second Maximvs on the Khorne sigil thing and additionally I'm not sure about the bag hanging from his belt or the chainmail in his arm joints (specially since in the hand he doesn't have it), as it looks too WFB/AoS in my opinion. But appart from that he's quite badass, can't wait to see him finished!

Cheers, guys! :)

It goes without saying that the Khornate icon will be replaced as soon as possible -- in fact, I am currently working on a solution for that.

I have to say I am not too bothered about the chainmail, though, both because replacing it would be more trouble than it's worth, and because it nicely underlines his barbarian warlord look, if you ask me.

Thanks, guys! :)

I tweaked the pose a bit, because while it was basically sound, it also still had a very rigid and two-dimensional look to it. So I rotated the torso a bit, made some smaller adjustments -- really just some steps to make the model look more alive (and angry). Oh, and I also replaced the Khorne icon:

we_angron-wip-5.jpg

we_angron-wip-6.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)