Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Khârn looks fantastic! That head suits the character perfectly, even more than the FW model imo. Will you be adding the Butcher's Nails to him?

The pose is great too. At first glance it looks a bit static, but then you see the flow of his tabard, the slight up-angle of the pistol, and his readied axe. It makes it look like he just popped off a plasma shot and is pausing for a split second before charging into the fray.

All around, super imposing.

I liked the previous pose better, actually. I understand you're trying to mimic the classic Khârn's pose, but you're not quite there with this new one, and his pose feels a bit wonky - which makes me prefer the first incarnation. :)

I really like both poses but I think the second one would work best with a straight arm firing the pistol. The helmet looks awesome on your auto cannon marine :thumbsup:, a very brutal looking figure!

Nemac

Edit: Manners: Thanks for the shout out KS :D

Edited by Nemac Vradon

I liked the previous pose better, actually. I understand you're trying to mimic the classic Khârn's pose, but you're not quite there with this new one, and his pose feels a bit wonky - which makes me prefer the first incarnation. :smile.:

Same here, the first draft looks boss, the second one not so much. But that's only my opinion ^_^

I think Khârn is great, but I feel he'd look better if his axe arm was lowered, both as an implication that this is certainly the same Khârn but that he's calmer and more in control of his rage, and also because of the posing of the pistol as well as the motion of the tabard would make it seem almost like he's swirling around to confront a(soon to be dead) enemy

Cheers for the feedback, guys! Seems like some tweaking of Khârn's pose is in order ;)

It has to be said that the previous mockup was basically more poster tac than plastic, so it didn't really work all that well when I tried to actually clean it up. Plus I did really want to have the weapons in the same respective hands as the two 40k versions.

I also get what some of you are saying regarding trying a straight arm for the plasma pistol, but I did try that earlier and it just wasn't what I wanted for the model.

k0nahrik's idea about having the axe arm lowered was really good advice, though, as I quite like the result. Take a look:

30k-kharn-wip-5.jpg

30k-kharn-wip-4.jpg

The model looks more grounded that way, and some of the beefiness that I suppose many of you liked about the first mockup also returns. Granted, he looks less like the classic 40k version now -- but like k0nahrik said, he also looks like he's rather more in control, which seems fitting.

Don't fall in love with the tabard too much, though: I'm not even sure I'll keep it, as I am mainly interested in the skull belt-buckle, seeing how it resembles a similar element on the classi model. The tabard itself might still have to go at some point ;)

Anyway, let me hear what you think! :)

MUCH better. You´ve replaced the elements I didn´t like about #2 with the ones I did like about #1. He now looks aggressively composed. 

Please keep the tabard! I love that, and it gives him a very definite sense of motion, which makes the whole model look dynamic. I dare say that the miniature's composed pose reads as violent-to-be Khârn because of the dynamism that the flailing tabard brings. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Pose 3 is now my favorite Khârn though I'm not sure I agree with the other re the tabard, simply because the legs are so grounded and to me it's more like wind through his legs causing the movement than his own.

Is it actual Gorechild you're going for there? and would you consider a magnetised spare arm so you can field him along side your non daemon versions of Angron? Since as I know you've read betrayer and as Khârn only gets Gorechild after Nuceria it would be cool to have the option.

I gotta say, he's looking amazing now!

As for the tabard, I actually think it fits perfect. I think it adds to the 'angry yet in control' look. As if he's a worshipper of khorne but hasn't completely lost his mind yet, like he can still assess a battlefield strategically and still wear cosmetic items(the tabard) that set him apart from the rest of the infantry - he's still above them, he's not another screaming angry face in the crowd yet. Not to mention - the motion on the tabard adds perfectly to the motion of the model - he's just finished off an enemy, now he's swirling around and quickly assessing the battlefield for a moment, identifying his next target, thinking like a commander - then he's off and charging again.

Thanks for the well-considered feedback, everyone! You are really arguing a strong case for keeping the tabard. This part, in particular, really sums up the look I want to achieve rather perfectly:

I gotta say, he's looking amazing now!
As for the tabard, I actually think it fits perfect. I think it adds to the 'angry yet in control' look. As if he's a worshipper of khorne but hasn't completely lost his mind yet, like he can still assess a battlefield strategically and still wear cosmetic items(the tabard) that set him apart from the rest of the infantry - he's still above them, he's not another screaming angry face in the crowd yet. Not to mention - the motion on the tabard adds perfectly to the motion of the model - he's just finished off an enemy, now he's swirling around and quickly assessing the battlefield for a moment, identifying his next target, thinking like a commander - then he's off and charging again.

So the tabard's here to stay. I've made a small tweak to it, however, carefully bending it a bit so it doesn't move quite as spectacularly in the breeze :wink: More pictures soon!

@ Mechanist: Good thinking about Gorechild there, mate! I posed myself the exact same question, because that literally is Goechild right there -- it's an extra Gorechild from the actual Angron model. While I won't be making an extra arm with a different weapon, the thing to consider here is that my model for Khârn will be more like a "bonus character", if anything: My 30k project will be firmly based on the battles at Armatura and Nuceria, so Angron still has the axes. Whereas my Khârn probably shows the character between Nuceria and the battle of Terra. That being said, I doubt anyone will pop a vessel if I put the models down next to each other. But yeah, fair point.

@ dogfender. Phew, I guess there's no denying that my bitzbox has grown fairly extensive over the years. As for weathering powders: I really like the look that can be achieved with them, but I loathe the prospect of having to seal them with white spirit (or something similar), because I am notoriously terrible with messy stuff like that. So I have been sticking with tactical drybrushing so far to achieve a similar effect.

So in the meantime, I was able to finish another model. Surprise, surprise! :wink:

Hamund

"The Mournful", IVth assault company Secutor, XII Legio Astartes

“You ask if this is what I wanted for myself, remembrancer? If this is what I dreamed of?
Who could ever dream of a life such as the one we lead and crave to do as we do?
No, I did not wish for this life. But it was this or the fleshmarket at Kalekka, and a choice like that is no choice at all."

Secutor Hamund

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-1.jpg

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-2.jpg

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-3.jpg

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-4.jpg

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-6.jpg

secutor-hamund-of-the-xii-legion-7.jpg

This guy was originally converted as a member of my 40k World Eaters, but has now found a new - and arguably more fitting - home with the army's fledgling 30k incarnation: His patched-together suit of mongrel-plate really gives him a suitably World Eater-ly look, and the smaller Khornate symbols scattered over the model could be seen as the War God's influence slowly beginning to manifest during the latter stages of the Heresy.

Now painting Hamund was really quite a slog, both because the conversion was pretty messy, using some very beat-up parts, and because the arms came from a WFB champion of Khorne that was re-released as an early Finecast piece (i.e. lots of bubbles and warping). With those factors in mind, I am pretty happy with the finished model!

So, another update, another round of "family photos":

world-eaters-tactical-veterans-and-praet

world-eaters-tactical-veterans-techmarin

Slow and steady wins the race, eh? :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, guys! Looking at your feedback regarding Hamund, that's exactly the look and feel I wanted to convey, and I am glad to hear it seems to have worked! :)

@ Isinfier: Hmm, while the Leviathan is a cool enough model without a doubt, I have this strange reluctance to delve into complete Forgeworld kits: Creating a Heresy era project that is (almost) completely converted from plastic parts just seems like a more interesting and rewarding project. Weird, I know... ;)

I can understand that- there's something so satisfying about putting together a coherent model out of random plastic parts. That's one of the things I love about your Wargrinder- it looks so much like an actual kit rather than a conversion despite being made of all sorts of parts. It's a shame Chaos can't use Leviathan Dreadnoughts in 40K or I'd suggest building a "proxy" like you did with the Contemptor from the Kastellan Robot (it was a Kastellan, right?).

And Hamund looks absolutely savage! He looks like he jumped off the cover of a Black Library book. The shield in particular is awesome.

@ Squigsquasher: Cheers, mate! :)

So here's one last update for the weekend: The cleaned-up conversion of my 30k Khârn. I think I can call the conversion finished at this point. Take a look:

30k-kharn-wip-6.jpg

30k-kharn-wip-7.jpg

30k-kharn-wip-8.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)