Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

I've managed to add the last round of details to the two parts of Forgeworld Angron's base earlier today:

fw-angron-base-wip-5.jpg

fw-angron-base-wip-6.jpg

The broken Ultramarines vexilla seemed like a cool way of tieing the base even closer into the battles of Armatura and Nuceria. Plus a virtually identical piece appears on the display base for my Daemon-Primarch version of Angron, so it's a nice little shout out as well...

As for the base's eventual occupant, well, let me just give you a small sneak peek:

fw-angron-pip-2.jpg

fw-angron-pip-1.jpg

fw-angron-pip-5.jpg

Fun Fact: I really suck at freehand painting, but I am getting pretty handy at painting Angron's warpaint -- must be all that practice ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Look good so far, Kraut. I like how you're adding plastic elements to the original part of the base. However, wouldn't it be more effective to use a catapractii terminator helmet instead of a MkIV helmet, to tie in the two elements? Because you're using two different armour types (not even armour marks, no, armour types) I'm afraid that will only serve to underline the difference between the actual base and the surrounding ring - as I'm left wondering: how come that power armour helmet is so close to the terminator armour? By contrast, a terminator helmet will immediately tie in the original base with the actual base and the armour on it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Interpunction

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Sure, a Cataphractii helmet would have been nice -- such a bit doesn't really exist, though, does it? We only get those half-helmets that fit into the neck cavity but cannot possibly be the whole helmet. I am also not really worried about the difference, to be honest: More than one Ultramarine died at the battle of Armatura... ;)

Sure, a Cataphractii helmet would have been nice -- such a bit doesn't really exist, though, does it? We only get those half-helmets that fit into the neck cavity but cannot possibly be the whole helmet. I am also not really worried about the difference, to be honest: More than one Ultramarine died at the battle of Armatura... :wink:

You can easily make one: just cut a MkIII helmet in half, horizontally just below the visor. (if you don't have one to spare, I would happily send you one) And, sure, I understand that there's more dudes that died around him! But my point is that the different armour types make me think about that - you force the viewer to rationalize the difference, which underlines that there is a difference. A terminator helmet would remove that thought process, as you would instantly get it.

It's harder to explain in English to a native German speaker, but the difference is the same between 'understanding' and 'Verstehen' in the philosophical ontological sense of the words.

Whoa, whoa, don't go getting all philosophical on me now ;)

Seriously, though: I do get your point. I'm just not sure I see the problem in the same way you do: I never even intended that helmet on the left to belong to the fallen Terminator in the first place, but rather as an indication that there are possibly quite a few more dead Ultramarines around. I do know that your feedback is thoughtful and well considered, so maybe the issue is there and is more noticeable than I think -- I'd like to hear other people weighing in on this!

On a related note, I am not sure cutting a Mk. III helmet in half would do the trick, btw: You'd end up with the same bit we already get on the Cataphractii sprue, but like I said, that cannot be the entire helmet: We only ever get to see a small part of the actual Cataphractii helmet because they are so far recessed into the armour. Anyway, my fear would be that half an Mk. III helmet wouldn't read as a Cataphractii helmet but rather just as, well, half an Mk. III helmet. And just using one of those Cataphractii head pieces would look as though I'd been to lazy to convert an actual helmet ;)

I have to say that my very first thought on seeing the base was "hey thats a mark 4 helmet next to that terminator." Now their are other ways around the problem, including the severed head from said Mk4 next to the helmet make it clear that two separate marines have died or maybe other parts like  cut off hand and gun so it's more of a two corpse feel if that makes sense.

While the idea is obvious that the two are separate there is a little bit of a hey moment as the brain ties it together, I think more bits of the power armour marine would smooth that moment over as it could be distracting from the model which by the way is looking excellent. 

Alright, if you two both make the connection, then it is a problem and has to be addressed! Good call about the shoulder pad, Mechanist! I'm on it! :smile.:

On a semi-related note, I actually expected somebody would have something to say about the PIP Angron... o_O

Edited by KrautScientist

I waited a while before someone else said something before I went on. You made an excellent point about my MkIII helmet idea, Kraut. That being said, I think Mechanist's solution of adding more power armour bits would both work well in showing there's more bodies around Angron, and circumvents the problem mine had. :tu:

I didn't say anything about your pip angron because it showed you're well on your way of delivering your usual standard, which is excellent! :D

So, here's another update: First up, I added a shattered Space Marine shoulder pad, complete with torn cabling emerging from beneath it, to the base, as per Auggs' and Mechanist's very helpful suggestions:

fw-angron-base-wip-7.jpg

There's even enough space for a decal, which should make it even more obvious that this is yet another discarded armour part, possibly from the owner of the abandoned helmet ;)

And here's an update on the Primarch. Still a ways to go, but I am getting there:

fw-angron-pip-6.jpg

fw-angron-pip-7.jpg

fw-angron-pip-8.jpg

fw-angron-pip-9.jpg

fw-angron-pip-10.jpg

Looking brilliant! Do not worry too much about the mark 4 helmet. If you look at the Justaerin terminators, the helmet is a mark 4 but with a flatter nose and no vent on top.

Or you could do the helmet in World Eater colours ??

Really cool progress here. My only nitpick would be that the Mk IV helmet looks a little out of place sitting neatly there. It looks a little amateurish - the sort of thing a new hobbyist would do. I won't dispute that it's entirely possible for a helmet to fall as such - indeed, it's entirely likely it would - but it looks like a model piece rather than part of a diorama. If it were on its side I just feel it would suit a bit better and go along with the churned-up battlefield you're depicting.

Of course, you always tend to chart your own course so if you're set on it, never mind! 

Loving the Ultramarine standard though - looks really very cool. 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :smile.:

@ Mechanist: Yeah, replacing the cape was quite a challenge, but I would argue this is maybe the one bit across GW's entire catalogue that is up to the task :wink:

@ dantay_xv: Fun fact, I did consider adding a (Sarum pattern) World Eaters helmet instead, but then ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to make the base's "narrative" any more convoluted than it needed to be.

@ The Traitor: Yes. The use of brighter bronze tones to highlight the details works well enough to add depth, and besides, silver on bronze (or gold) always seems a bit tacky to me, like too much of a good thing :wink:

@ Commissar Molotov: Phew, that helmet was originally added as an interesting way of covering up the big hole where one of the Astartes that are part of Angron's stock base usually slots in. If I'd anticipated the amount of grief I'd be getting over adding the helmet, I think I would just have used some GS and be done with it :wink:

But seriously, I see your point, but at the very least, the helmet isn't sitting there quite as straight as it seems, as the surface it sits on has a slight angle. Still, putting it on its side would have come with its own share of problems (I would have needed to hollow it out, for instance), and when all was said and done, I was just too damn lazy -- sorry! I still appreciate your comment, Mol, as it's a rather rare pleasure!

So, speaking of the base, here it is after I blocked in the base colours earlier today:

fw-angron-base-wip-8.jpg

And here's the finished base:

fw-angron-base-1.jpg

fw-angron-base-2.jpg

And here's how it looks when assembled:

fw-angron-base-3.jpg

fw-angron-base-4.jpg

This part of the model was a lot of fun to paint, because while I wanted to make it as cool as I could, the muddy, chaotic nature of the design allowed me to play a bit fast and loose and actually turning that into a strength -- quite a relief after all the exact painting on the delicate Forgeworld model.

So the conditions for taking pictures weren't 100% ideal right now, but I did so want to show you Angron at Armatura, so here goes:

angron-primarch-of-the-world-eaters-forg

So here's a quick look at my three versions of Angron pre-Ascension:

versions-of-angron.jpg

And here's my entire "Massacre of Angrons" :)

a-massacre-of-angrons.jpg

It looks great! I specially like the base, it totally seems like how battlefied of the grimdark future should be. Also you should know that your conversions totally stand up to the FW model, they're all very impressive!

He looks so great, Kraut! You did a great job turning the missing base to an advantage, and Angron is a total boss. I've said it before, but the fact that you put that bit there to cover for the missing cape is just inspired. :tu:

Also, I love how you've given Angrons their own collective noun. Here's a flock of seagulls, there's a massacre of Angrons. Brilliant! :D

Edit: spelling. Whiskey, sausage fingers, and iPad touchscreens do not go together well.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Here are some additional pictures I've taken earlier today. Some of them show off various areas of the model a bit better than the first round of pictures. I also took some pictures against a white background, in order to give you a better idea of the armour's metallic hues.

------------------

The Battle of Armatura

Distance did nothing to steal any of the primarch’s blunt, savage grandeur. He was a ruined, towering thing of pain-spasms and sutured flesh. Lotara had only ever seen two primarchs, but despite the legend that each was cast in the Emperor’s image, Lorgar and Angron couldn’t have looked less alike. The former had a face that belonged on antique coins, and a voice that made her think of warm honey. The latter was an angel’s statue, desecrated by a hundred blades and left in the rain. Angron was ripped skin and roared oaths over a core of thick blood vessels and muscle meat.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Betrayer

Angron

The Conqueror, The Bloody One, The Red Angel,

Primarch of the XII Legion

This is not freedom. He knows that. He knows it well.

This is not freedom, he thinks as he stares at the World Eaters screaming his name. But the fight is only just beginning.

When the Emperor dies under his axes, when his final thought is how the Great Crusade was all in pathetic futility, and when his last sight is Angron’s iron smile…
then the Master of Mankind will learn what Angron has known since he picked up his first blade.

Freedom is the only thing worth fighting for.

It is why tyrants always fall.“

Aaron-Dembski-Bowden, Lord of the Red Sands

Here are the pictures taken against a white background:

So does this conclude this particular project? For the most part, yes. And yet, and still…

If nothing else, there are still some loose ends left to tie up, namely the display base I created for Angron in his Daemon-Primarch form. And now I can’t stop thinking about a shared display base for all the models — working title: “Stations of a violent life”. And there are even more moments in the life of the XII Primarch that would warrant an own version: his mourning his brothers and sisters on the boneyard at Desh’elika Ridge. The moment of his ascension. Angron holding a freaking Titan’s leg over his head, allowing a horribly maimed Lorgar to crawl free….I need to stop thinking about this! :)

For now, let’s just say that while I cannot possibly reach the same levels of dedication and/or madness as, say, Reg, maybe we haven’t heard the last of the XII Primarch either…

And in any case, we’ll be seeing more 30k World Eaters for him to lead:

angron-and-30k-world-eaters1.jpg

He looks great, Kraut! Good choice, adding the white-background pictures - they really show off the beautiful metal you accomplished. 

[snip]

...now I can’t stop thinking about a shared display base for all the models — working title: “Stations of a violent life”. And there are even more moments in the life of the XII Primarch that would warrant an own version:[...]  Angron holding a freaking Titan’s leg over his head, allowing a horribly maimed Lorgar to crawl free….I need to stop thinking about this! :smile.:

[/snip]

Lemme help you with this. ;)

These are absolutely phenomenal. 

That are the kinds of miniatures, people look at online and remember for years, like that Kill Kan Vs Seraphim battle. You know which one, right? That kind of memorable.