Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ TURBULENCE: Thanks, man! Don't forget that about 50% of the inspiration for this project basically came from your thread (with the other 50% being provided by the fantastic new Death Guard models). As for the newest model, I am confident that following some of Mechanist's advice should allow me to make the model look a bit less wonky ;)

@ Henricus Institoris: Don't hold your breath regarding those Noise Marines, mate. It's an interesting challenge, to be sure, but not something that I think I'll be getting around to in the foreseeable future -- sorry. That being said, I did build a true-scaled EC swordsman a while back, and he's still happily sitting on my desk. I'll have to post a picture, I suppose...

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! :)

@ Kordhal: Mate, when I am done with these, they'll be oozing more than just character (pun very much intended), just you wait! ;)

@ Vairocanum: Thanks, mate!

@ Mechanist: That's some excellent food for thought, man! I am fairly happy with the first guy, to be honest, but some of those ideas are great -- I'll definitely have to give adding some teeth to that belly wound/mouth a try! Your advice on the second guy, on the other hand, is really invaluable, because he definitely needs some cleanup. Watch this space for the fruits of your labour ;)

In other news, I'll be heading over to the Hive Slums of Amsterdam for the weekend, in order to visit Augustus b'Raass for some shared hobby goodness! It's a trip I am really looking forward to, and maybe we'll be able to produce something new for our respective threads ;)

Hey buddy - awesome work so far!

Any chance you could give us a size comparison with the DI Death Guard? (If you don't own the box yet, maybe from a friend or your local store?)

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Atia: I would love to, but nobody in my immediate vincinity has the box, and neither is there a hobby store that doesn't require a fair trip. That being said, maybe I'll be able to come up with something at Amsterdam this weekend? At least they have a GW store there ;)

@ Mechanist: Thanks again, mate! :)

Hey everyone, so I'm back from Amsterdam, and it has been one heck of a trip! Amsterdam is a fantastic city, and Augustus b'Raass was an equally fantastic host. Like he already said in his thread, we talked about lots of hobby stuff, shared a bunch of bitz and took some pretty cool photos of our models, and we'll be featuring them in detail on our respective threads. To kick things of, let me just share a couple of small things for now:

One, you probably remember this guy, right?

new-death-guard-wip-16.jpg

Now Augustus and me talked about him and about how the pose was not yet quite there, and so I made some additional tweaks to the pose based on that conversation. This also provided the perfect opportunity for Augustus to teach me how to use a proper hobby saw instead of just wedging a cheap-o knife in there and wiggling it around. Anyway, here's what the model looks like now:

new-death-guard-wip-21.jpg

new-death-guard-wip-22.jpg

new-death-guard-wip-23.jpg

I actually think the pose is quite a bit more natural now in how his legs and arms interact -- as an added bonus, he even seems to be dragging his right leg, which is definitely fitting for a Plague Marine. The one small setback is that sawing through the torso the get the arms and shoulder pads off damaged some detail, so I might have to do a bit of cleanup there, but oh well.

By the way, Atia: I wasn't able to take comparison pics with the new Plague Marines, but I did compare my converted models to Augustus' still-on-the-sprue Plague Marines and took a closer look at the assembled models at GW Amsterdam South, and they are exactly the same heigth and bulk, if you ask me. Hope this helps!

Secondly, Augustus was awesome enough to magnetise my World Eaters Contemptor's right arm for me, so in addition to looking like this...

30k-world-eaters-contemptor-magnetised-530k-world-eaters-contemptor-magnetised-6

...he can also rock a multimelta now. Like this:

30k-world-eaters-contemptor-magnetised-1

30k-world-eaters-contemptor-magnetised-3

I am not  a big fan of the 30k multimelta design, but having the whole thing as a magnetised alternative now really provided me with the incentive of making it look a bit more vicious and spiky, and I think I have suceeded with that.

30k-world-eaters-contemptor-magnetised-4

And finally, at least for now, while I basically managed to get most of the models I had brought over there without a hitch, my Forgeworld Angron was snapped off his base. Augustus suggested pinning him, and I asked him whether he could slightly tweak the angle of the model on the base, because I felt that Angron was facing downwards a bit too much. So here's the tweaked angle, and I am much happier with the model now -- and he's far easier to take pictures of now as well:

forgeworld-angron-tweaked-base-4.jpg

forgeworld-angron-tweaked-base-1.jpg

forgeworld-angron-tweaked-base-2.jpg

forgeworld-angron-tweaked-base-3.jpg

I'll have to build up some debris around the right foot, where the pin is visible right now, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And those are just the small things -- you have some really cool pictures to look forward to here and over at Augustus' thread!

For now, let me know what you think! :)

The nurgle re-posed marine looks great! Did you use plastic glue to make the left arm look fused in an organic way (in addition to actually fused xD)?

Also, can you please add a couple of blood on the halberd head? Pretty please?

Hurray! They all look so good in real life, and the pictures do do them justice. I'm actually for the first time thinking perhaps iPhones do have an advantage over Widows and Android phones. Their camera is indeed superior. 

Thanks for an awesome weekend, buddy! I had a blast! 

Also, the Chaos Knight halberd blade on the multimelta is a fantastic butchering implement. :tu:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

What can I say beside that "You belong to Nurgle men .. deal with it" ^^

and that I'm jalous of that meeting with Augustus ! Too much awesome model at the same place ! I'm waiting for more pictures of that battle you guys made !

The contemptor melta arms look great too !

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

I won't lie, Augustus had to convince me a bit of cutting apart that Plague Marine again, but now I am more than happy with the tweaked pose. As for the fused look on the left shoulder, yes well: Turns out the plastic glue Augustus uses doesn't exactly the share the same properties from my favourite brand, but is rather melty hell acid FROM HELL! Or something like that. Anyway, I wrapped up the last instances of cleanup on the Plague Marine just now and will show you the completed conversion tomorrow.

Until then, more pictures of the Amsterdam sessions:

Let me maybe start by saying that I actually slept in the room containing Augustus' entire army collection -- and quite a collection it is. In fact, it feels like we basically spent two hours in front of those shelves alone, with me wanting to take a closer look at the various models and feeling like a kid at the candy store. I tried to come up with a viable plan to at least sneak some of the best models from his World Eaters army into my overnight bag...

amsterdam-trip-0.jpg

...but that would just have been rude. Of particular note (that incredible converted Daemon Engine loitering around in the back notwithstanding) was that retro Bloodthirster -- quite simply one of the loveliest models I have seen to date. Photos do not do this guy justice. But then, that goes for most of Augustus' collection.

So here are some pictures from our joint photo sessions. First up, my World Eaters and Augustus' Imperial Fists facing off in the ruins of an Imperial Sanctum (the terrain was provided my Augustus as well, it must be said):

30k-world-eaters-vs-imperial-fists-2.jpg

Yeah, you know, with the Eighth Captain in the picture, I doubt that Librarian has too much of a career left :wink:

So while Augustus has already shared a couple of pictures where his Imperial Fists are the centre of attention, we also took some photos with my World Eaters in ascendance:

30k-world-eaters-vs-imperial-fists-4.jpg

And while I don't want to sound too full of myself, maybe the best thing how relatively close we came to something you might actually see in a GW publication.

30k-world-eaters-vs-imperial-fists-5.jpg

Here are some of my World Eaters, resting in between the demanding photo shoots -- with Augustus' lovely World Eaters Contemptor looming in the background:

amsterdam-trip-21.jpg

And because I am a selfish git like that, I also used the opportunity to take some pictures that showcased my models, while we had that almost professional setup up:

Here are my World Eaters, led by their Primarch:

30k-world-eaters-2.jpg

30k-world-eaters-1.jpg

Next up, my squad of Traitor Elites from my Traitor Guard force:

traitor-elites-2017.jpg

And, since I had also brought some models from the wonderful world of INQ28, Inquisitor Erasmus Gotthardt, of the Ordo Hereticus Velsen and his retinue...

inquisitor-gotthardt-and-retinue-2017.jp

...and the "Road Crew", a gang of escaped Pitslaves, mutants and ne'er do-wells from the Hiveworld of St. Sabasto's Reach:

the-road-crew-2017.jpg

Seeing all of these guys against that awesome backdrop, almost like a little slice of life of the 40k universe, as it were, is just one awesome souvenir of a fantastic trip to Amsterdam -- but we are still not quite done, actually.

Alas, that is all we have time for today ;) As always, let me know what you think! :)

So, erm, if nobody has anything to say at all, I guess I'll just go on...right?!

So anyway, let me just share this shot with you, because I think it has turned out really well: This is my true scale Astartes, Praetor Janus Auriga of the Golden Legion, going toe to toe with Augustus’ absolutely lovely retro Bloodthirster:

astartes-vs-bloodthirster-2.jpg

And here's the big man himself, at least in model form: Meet Augustus b'Raas, leader of Agustus' World Eaters:

augustus-braass-of-the-world-eaters-2.jp

So what else is there to say about the weekend? I had such a blast -- and I hope Augustus was feeling the same way. You've gotta wonder, looking at a picture of us here:

amsterdam-trip-3.jpg

If anyone's interested, there's a pretty comprehensive recap of the weekend, pictures and all, over here at my blog.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Waaaaa I missed your first pot, buddy! My apologies!

Those pictires came out even better than I thought. It truly was a blast seeing our mutual armies together. And while the librarian has surely fallen to the wrath of the Captain of the World Eaters' 8th Company, conversely, Secutor Hamund the Mournful couldn't hold his own to Captain Frans Landa of the Imperial Fists' 5th company - but he didn't die! Like his captain, he lived to fight another day, and then some - as he was elevated to daemonhood! (sorry for shamelessly plugging my own thread here, but you (Kraut) must've missed the hint). :thumbsup::wink:

Neither of you have as much hair as I expected...

Dragonlover

Dude, you have no idea how creepy it was meeting Kraut for the first time. I normally wear contacts, but when I icked him up from Amsterdam Centraal Station, I was wearing my glasses. Turns out that yeah, we look very much alike.... Losing your hair and 20/20 vision while growing a beard must be something that worshiping the Blood God does to hobbyists... :facepalm:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Teetengee: Fair enough. Seems like I'll just have to learn the blasted rules ;)

@ Dragonlover: Tell me about it! Although, one has to wonder, what kind of hairstyle(s) did you think we might have...?

@ Sagentus: Cheers, man! :)

@ Auggs: Oh, I did get the shout out alright, and having it turned back and forth in my mind, I kinda love it now: You see, as a mortal, Hamund was this fatalistic guy who just became disillusioned with the whole idea of the Great Crusade fairly early on, and he must have been disgusted with it all by the time the Siege of Terra came around. So for him to be elevated to Daemonhood would seem counterintuitive at first -- and then you realise that it would basically be the ultimate punishment for him, which seems very chaotic to me.

@ BubblesMcBub: Glad to see you over here as well, mate! :)

So anyway, like I promised, here's a look at the finished Plague Marine conversion (already undercoated, so all of the disparate elements come together a bit better):

plague-marine-test-model-pip-1.jpg

plague-marine-test-model-pip-4.jpg

To make up for the damaged detail on the left side of the breastplate (from the Plague Marine's point of view, that is), I added a tube that looks like it's at least semi-organic in nature. And although this part is hard to make out in the pictures, some tiny pieces of eggshell were used to create a hint of cracked and flaking armour between the original Chosen part of the breastplate and the belly underneath, making for a slightly more believable transition.

I also used a fantastic idea by Augustus and created a (30k-style) Death Guard symbol from a shaved down Slaanesh vehicle icon:

plague-marine-test-model-pip-2.jpg

Anyway, this guy is going to be my test piece for my new Plague Marine colour scheme, and I hope to be able to get some paint on him this weekend, at the latest.

plague-marine-test-model-pip-3.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)