Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers, guys! :)

Like some sort of strange fractal Knight? Khornate Russian Dolls all driving each other...

Haha, yeah, I was going to mention Russian nesting dolls -- cheers for beating me to the punch there ;)

As for my future plans, I have not even started on the second Armiger yet, but it's something that I very much plan to make one of my next projects: I will have to scale down my planned vow for the Call of Chaos, I am afraid, but I still want to have the Armiger finished before the end of the year, so there's that. At the same time, I am also currently working on the next batch of INQ28 models, as those of you who follow my INQ28 thread may have seen -- all in all, I am just happy to have a bit of my painting mojo back ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So, time for an update over here as well:

One of my hobby endeavours that didn't get quite as much off the ground this year as I would have liked was the plan to work on some Death Guard models. Having recently finished Christ Wraight's "Lords of Silence" (which I can recommend, by the way), I had a bit of an appetite to mess around with some Nurglite models again, though:

First up, I cleaned up the conversion job on that Death Guard Helbrute I converted a while ago and undercoated him, which pulls the entire conversion together, but also has the somewhat distracting side-effect of making the entire model look as though it were made from milk chocolate ;)

death-guard-helbrute-wip.jpg

I also finally picked up one of those cute little Blight-Haulers, and it's really a rather delightful model, if you ask me. Just put it together without any changes (if I ever add more of those to my collection, I will likely make some tweaks to the following models to make for a little variety):

blight-hauler-wip.jpg

And last but not least, I still has a leftover Plaguecaster in my bitzbox that sat there incomplete and unloved: I am not a particular fan of the stock model and have already converted one of them, plus the poor guy had been pilfered for bitz during an earlier project. But I still wanted to do something with the leftovers, so I decided to convert my own version of the Foul Blightspawn. I am not a huge fan of that weird pump that's part of the stock model's body, so I went for a slightly more straightforward approach (with more of a classic launcher weapon), but I did try to include enough visual cues to resemble the stock model's equipment. Anyway, here goes:

blightspawn-wip-1.jpg

blightspawn-wip-2.jpg

blightspawn-wip-3.jpg

blightspawn-wip-4.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

blightspawn-wip-5.jpg

I’m really digging that milk chocolate helbrute. You should get in touch with the big guys at GW, see if you can get an Easter line going ;)

I love what you’ve done with the Blightspawn conversion. I’m of the same mindset about the stock pump/ backpack, it’s just too big and bulky. What you’ve done is similar to what I had in mind for mine, awesome to see it looks great!

The hellbrute pulls together nicely now it's base coated and I'm surprised you didn't poke the Haler even a little bit just to see what you could do.

I'm liking the Foul Blightspawn though would encourage you to add some greenstuff to the pipework as the more fleshy bit just under the backpack swaps to normal pipe a little sharp as it looks.

It's something I was keen to play with on my Knight as a non to the hellbrute and not to hard to do and a cool detail to have in your toolbox. 

Out of interest did you officially vow the Warglave for Call of chaos in the end?

Again, thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Mechanist: I honestly just loved the Blight-Hauler in its stock version -- uncommon for me, I realise ;) I also wanted to familiarise myself with the way the parts go together first, before maybe committing to something more involved on a subsequent model.

On the Blightspawn, the entire pipe right up to the backpack is actually mostly the same texture -- what you perceived as "fleshiness" is actually just the glue reflecting the light, at least for the most part, making the part look more chewed up than it is. That being said, I am still thinking about making the pipe a bit more nurgley -- if all else fails, maybe I'll add some kind of "repaired with duct tape" section that you sometimes see on some other Nurgle models ;)

As for the Armiger, I actually ended up not vowing anything for the Call of Chaos, unfortunately -- my timing was just off, and while the second Armiger is still going to be one of my very next projects (hopefully), it's too much of a centre piece to just hurry it along. I've only just recovered my painting mojo after a longer slump, so I wanted to play it safe, so as not to mess up a really involved conversion.

Speaking of painting, I had some fun with a Poxwalker earlier today:

Poxwalker-PIP-1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

To be honest, though, I don't quite agree with you re: the trousers: I really think there's quite enough contrast there, to be honest:

Poxwalker-PIP-2.jpg

Poxwalker-PIP-3.jpg

There's also a fluff reason for the colour choice, by the way: These models are testers for a small retinue/kill team that kinda works like a bridge between my 40k and INQ28 collections: A team based on my ideas for the "Keepers of the Eternal Garden", a Nurglite cult seeking to bring about manifestations of Nurgle's Garden in realspace. You could see them as eco-terrorists turned up to eleven, in a way, because they tend to hi-jack Imperial science projects with their daemonic infestations, so some of the cult's members/victims are still wearing the remains of hazmat suits, medicae uniforms and lab-coats.

In fact, here are the current test models for the project so far:

Poxwalker-PIP-4.jpg

These three models are at different steps of the painting process: The guy on the left is all but finished, the one in the middle still needs some detail work, while the Plague Bearer has only been washed. At the same time, they also form different steps in the (d)evolution from a human cult member/cult victim to an undying servant of Nurgle (and also, a living incarnation of the Blightwood).

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

These look great. I actually agreenmd with everyone about the contrast and thought either the trousers or skin could do with being a difference colour... But the in the next photo the skin looked way darker and I thought that looks better... Then in the last photo the skin looks way lighter and even better again!

I assume it's just a trick of the light during photos. Any way, yea these look really cool and I really like the theme of cultists transforming.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

I'm happy to see you diving back into Nurgle, Kraut. I love the Blightspawn, clever conversion. I personally don't mind the trousers, I think their coloration. Perhaps stripes on them would help contrast a bit with the flesh, but I don't see it as a necessity.

Thanks a lot for the comments, gents! :)

@ DuskRaider: Hmm, I think stripes would rather detract from the fallen medicae/research assistant vibe I am trying to achieve with these guys, so the pants will just have to stay plain orange ;)

Speaking of which, Poxwalker number two is now basically finished:

Poxwalker-PIP-10.jpg

Poxwalker-PIP-11.jpg

As is the Plaguebearer:

Poxwalker-PIP-12.jpg

Poxwalker-PIP-13.jpg

Poxwalker-PIP-14.jpg

And since the cult's activities have managed to attract some attention - or maybe they were being fostered from within the Great Eye in the first place - there's also this guy:

Blightking-Plague-Marine-PIP-1.jpg

A Plague Marine originally converted ages ago when the Putrid Blightkings were first released during the latter days of classic WFB. I've been meaning to get these guys painted for all this time, and now seemed like a good occasion ;) The first picture shows the model just after washes, and this is what he looked like when I put down the brush earlier:

Blightking-Plague-Marine-PIP-5.jpg

Blightking-Plague-Marine-PIP-4.jpg

Still needs some detail work here and there, but you probably get the idea.

That's a lovely, lovely backpack you converted there. Brilliant!

You've convinced me on the trouster colours. The contrast is good enough (and agree with the discarding of the stripes idea - that would make them look like foul pirates. Arr.) I love the theme, and think the development in your conversion skills really shows through these very subtle poxwalker and plaguebearer conversions. Fine work!

We need more fat Plague Marines!

BTW the biggest buboe on the back of that middle poxalker needs some BFTBG on its underside - you missed a spot! ;) :)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass