Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Too true! Even though it takes some work, the effort is really worth it in the end. Plus you get to create little micro-narratives every once in a while, which is nice.

@ KingKurama: Haha, welcome back, then! Hope you like what you see! :)

Sweet dread, i miss those old boxy guys (although the impracticality of the leg design became quite hilarious in dawn of war). Nice work in the right shoulder too, fits perfectly with the other one.

One small thing, I'd change the chainsword. I don't think the curved tip works with the las cannon, it breaks up those parallel lines.

Kraut, your work is an inspiration as always! I also hate you a bit because I was not sure about the venom and now I want one...as if I needed more in my chaos wishlist!

Also, I got you have taken Shadowspear...what is your impression with converting the "monopose" CSM vs the new "posable" kit? As I probably can get the chaos half of shadowspear for little more than the price of a single CSM box, your review could be a tiebreaker! Sorry if you already covered up something here or on your blog, I did not catch up still (but will surely do)

Bonus point: the Hero Quest commercial almost made me cry, I also started with that!

I have to check if some of it remains! 

@ ElDuderino: Haha, yeah, those legs -- what an unenviable task for those animators at Relic, eh? ;) If I remember correctly, though, the old metal Chaos Dread, for all of its shortcomings, had a slightly longer leg assembly that seemed at least a bit more plausible -- weird that GW never picked up on that with any of the following models...

I think I'll be keeping the chainsword, to be honest, if only because it's the closest in design to the one that actually appears on the stock FW Lascannon arm. You do have a point about the curvature, but I hope it'll still work out when painted.

@ Filkarion: Cheers, man! I haven't had the chance to work with the Shadowspear CSM yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt. That being said, and judging by similar "monopose" kits from GW's boxed sets, I would still advise you to take your chances on that deal: I think the monpose CSM should be easy enough to convert, if you are at least somewhat handy with a hobby knife, and you get all those cool added models: The Obliterators are a massive improvement over the older version, if you ask me. The Master of Possession or whatshisname is a brilliant model. And I am in love with that Venomcrawler -- what's more, you can always get the multipart CSM later, while the chance to get a good deal on the chaos half of Shadowspear may not return. Anyway, just my two cents.

Oh, and if seeing HeroQuest stuff gives you a serious case of the Feels, you may want to check out my blog -- just sayin'... ;)

Yes! The dread is shaping up to be a very promising addition to your army! I'm so glad to see him finally built! Looking forward to the red paint job. (do you have one? It makes you go fasta...)

I hope RL isn't too much hassle, buddy. Take care!

Already done so, Kraut! I check your blog from time to time and I love it...and I'm not ever into Khorne (my personal chart is Slaanesh, Tzeench, Khorne and Nurgle even  if I like them all in some measure).

I should comment there on all that wonderful good old Hero Quest material (Guess we hobbyists could not help but be nostalgic people), but I have to ask...have you ever done the "giant bat" with the Gargoyle, by putting the head on the wings?

I was so big...now it's probably the size of a primaris:sweat:

Thanks for the review...hope to find a buddy in my group to split the set... As far as conversion skills, guess I have some... surely more that my painting ones! And surely I am not knife/greenstuff shy:wink:

Edited by Filkarion

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! :)

@ Midnightmare: HAHAHAHAHA! I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! :)

Also, huh? New name?

@ Filkarion: Haha, glad to have managed to pluck those nostalgia heartstrings -- as for the "Giant Bat", yeah, I guess I must have done. Hearing about it again now makes me wish I had not yet glued my Gargoyle together, though ;)

Sooo, guys, not a huge update for today or anything, basically just proof that I am still alive and kicking. RL continues to be rather taxing, and most of my recent hobby time has gone into my ongoing HeroQuest project - spoilers incoming, because this obviously goes beyond the scope of this board...

I have actually managed to complete both the models...

heroquest-finished-monsters-and-heroes-2

...and the furniture...

heroquest-furniture-14.jpg

for my HeroQuest set -- a project thirty years in the making! Anyway, if you are interested in this kind of content, feel free to head on over to my blog! :)

But at least there's also this, started earlier today:

argus-the-brazen-pip-3.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-6.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-7.jpg

I hope to be able to show you more progress on this project in the near future -- keep your fingers crossed for me! And, as always, let me know what you think! :)

@ Auggs: Thanks, buddy -- and no, I didn't paint the books: The HQ furniture is actually made up of a plastic and a cardboard part, and the books are part of the cardboard parts.

@ hushrong: No worries, then, because I do have a small Dreadnought-related update:

Getting there, one part at a time:

argus-the-brazen-pip-9.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-11.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-12.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-13.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-14.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

argus-the-brazen-pip-10.jpg

@ Aasfresser: Thanks! It's HeroQuest, though, not Warhammer Quest -- ian important distinction, if only because getting hold of vintage WHQ stuff is even more expensive ;)

So, still working on the lascannon arm, but here's a quick progress shot to show you how it's shaping up:

argus-the-brazen-pip-15.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-16.jpg

argus-the-brazen-pip-17.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Ready to shoot its enemies from afar, the Khornate way! 

Wait wut?

:wink:

Just kidding. He looks fantastic. Love to see the chainfist - which, let's face it, is the cooler weapon of the two! :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Auggs: I hear you re: the chainfist. While it may be the cooler weapon, however, it certainly was far less enjoyable to paint.

But that didn't deter me, so I think I'll call this gentleman finished now:

argus-the-brazen-4.jpg

Argus the Brazen

XII Legion, 4th assault company

argus-the-brazen-1.jpg

argus-the-brazen-3.jpg

argus-the-brazen-5.jpg

argus-the-brazen-6.jpg

argus-the-brazen-7.jpg

argus-the-brazen-8.jpg

argus-the-brazen-9.jpg

argus-the-brazen-10.jpg

argus-the-brazen-11.jpg

argus-the-brazen-2.jpg

I may have taken my sweet time with finally painting this model, but I did want to do him proper justice, with a recipe that wasn't just a lazy knock-off of my older, defunct World Eaters recipe. My new approach has basically evolved out of my work on my Imperial Knight and, more recently, the first of my Armiger Warglaives, and to show you how my painting has - hopefully - evolved, here's a comparison shot with Argus next to a Dreadnought using my old recipe -- incidentally the first Dreadnought I ever painted, back in 2011 or so, Marax the Fallen:

argus-the-brazen-12.jpg

While the photo - invariably, it seems, - eats up some of the finer points of my newer paintjob, I hope you'll agree that my recipe has become a bit more sophisticated.

Thanks must go, once again, to Augustus b'Raass for providing me with this lovely OOP model! Cheers, buddy! :)

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I like the new dreadnought. The colours really pop, and compared to Marax, it's definitely clear you've progressed.

That and the new paint-scheme is just a tad brighter and a richer red :lol:

'Argus the Brazen' 

I'm loving it!! Omnomnom

Dude, he looks fantastic, well done! Your paint scheme has definitely evolved - the washes and highlights on the brass for example looks far more involved. I commend you for continuously upping your game. 

I guess I cannot stay behind and should finally do that excellent Librarian on bike that you converted for and send to me around the same time as I gave you that dread, back in 2017, no? :)