Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Maybe a name that is an anagram of huron

Nhoru, Urhno, Nuhor?

Churron the Bleak is anagram of Huron Blackheart and sounds a bit like Charon, who the ancient Greeks beleived ferried souls across the Styx to hades.

Oooh, I like that one

Wowzers, you really nailed that MK. III feller!

The Havoc though, I don't know what his left hand is doing, but with a stance like that you just don't convincingly look like you're about to fire a bazooka, so I feel like just turning his head a bit to his left would make him feel a lot more natural.

Wow. Your new Berserker conversions make me want to do some of my own. Really inspiring! 

Huron-not-Huron looks great in his finished state! Congrats on the fulfilled vow!

And the Mark Gibbons zerker... I couldn't praise him enough! I have to admit, I like both heads on him. The second is more true to the artwork, sure, but the first one looks more brutal.

Your Abaddon conversion is one of the best I have ever seen. It takes a lot of courage to chop up ol' Abaddon for a conversion and a lot of talent to make it look good! Over on reddit some conversions pop up from time to time, but they always seem rushed and uninspired. Or they fail due to a poor paint job. Wich now makes me really looking forward to painted Lorimar.

Just catching up and must say I am happy you found that backpack! Nice to hear you found it and could still put it to use!

The next batch of World Eaters look great! Any chance in the future for more shots of the AoS convert? He looks fantastic and I would love to see how you worked the mk3 leg to the blood warrior knee.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Just a quick update for today, as I have come up with a short background sketch for the counts-as Huron character that I wanted to share:

huron-blackheart-counts-as-2.jpg

„The burning never stops.“

This is the sentence he remembers above all else, because it has come to encapsulate his entire existence. While memory of an Astartes is eidetic in nature, his long life has become a number of disjointed, fragmented moments, with entire decades mostly unaccounted for. But one thing remains. One thing binds everything together and defines him. One sentence neatly summarises it all.

“The burning never stops.”

He remembers how the sentence from weapons instruction returned to him, at the very moment that he saw the phosphex charge go off. The bridge was a pandemonium of blood and death, but everything was frozen into place for just one instant. He saw everything in incredible detail. The battered VII Legion Breacher team that, against all odds, had made it to the bridge in an attempt to bring down a leviathan from within. The mangled face of the Fist throwing the phosphex grenade at him. The eyes already staring into infinity, waiting for a death that would come in mere seconds. The explosions of the weaponry discharged by the other surviving breachers. The chainblades of his brothers falling in slow motion, trying to bring down the enemy. But slow, far too slow. And the green white fire of the phosphex charge, enveloping him at last, and flooding his every fibre with liquid agony, just seconds before the main viewport burst into a million armourglass shards, opening the bridge to the void.

He remembers Terra. The Throneworld twisting below him, above him, behind a curtain of voidships on fire, as he tumbled into blackness. The cold void that was the only thing that could have extinguished the flames that were swallowing him. But even when the fires went out…

…the burning never stopped.

He remembers coming to in a red haze. The sounds of the Apothecarion. The klaxons and warning beeps. The mirrors above the surgical slab showing him a lump of molten, misshapen flesh that he did not recognise. And Deracin’s half-augmetic face floating above him, like a hint of things to come. The Forgemaster locked eyes with him and smiled. And he knew that he would not be allowed to die.

He was rebuilt. Into a strange amalgamation of oh so little flesh and bone, iron and pain. Oh so much pain. He became a construct. Like the gholam of old Terra. And through it all, the pain of an unquenchable fire kept coursing through him, racing along nerve clusters that should have been cauterised beyond any function. Along iron bones that shouldn’t have been able to feel but did. It has been thus ever since: His every waking moment is pure agony. Inhale. Pain. Exhale. Pain. The nails are but pinpricks to him. He is eternally on fire.

His wrath and pain almost seem like a separate entity. When he does battle, and his every cell is burning agony, he can almost see something taking shape from the corner of his eyes. Something rough and bloody that is glowing in its own inner malevolence. It is growing all the time. There will come a time when he will finally meet it face to face, this thing he keeps feeding with his pain and with the pain of others.

He keeps losing time. Battles often turn into disjointed shards of perception for him. When he sees glimpses of that strange spectre that seems to shadow him, inexplicable things happen, and he is merely a spectator in his own body: His flesh turns into liquid flame, and he becomes capable of feats that should be beyond his patchwork body. He awakens to arcs of warp fire cascading from his axe and augmetic fist. He comes to in a world of cinders and flaking ash, with his enemies’ lifeblood running down his chin in rivulets. He sees the wariness in his brothers’ eyes, and to see such emotion play across their ravaged features would make him smile, if that expression were not lost to him.

And through it all,
The burning never stops.

Also, there's this:

Alright, no rest for the wicked:

I, KrautScientist, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX vow to complete 1 Renegade Armiger/War Dog of total value 177 pts* on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

*at least accoring to the Index (with a swapped-in meltagun, that is) If anyone has the codex and could check whether I have the points right, then let me know, I would be absolutely delighted.

And here she is, the Huntress:

the-huntress-etl-before-1.jpg

Granted, the meltagun has already been painted -- but I hope it all evens out, considering the model has a fully modeled interior that will be quite a bit of extra work:

the-huntress-etl-before-2.jpg

the-huntress-etl-before-3.jpg

Wish me luck, brothers and sisters! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Forge master Deracin: "Euron, rise"

BigObedientLacewing-size_restricted.gif

Fantastic story segment, I love the slow motion playback of the moment his life changed forever, and the looming presence of the Hymadra gnawing at the ragged edges of his fraying mind.

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

Quick question for you Kraut:

@ Quixus: Yeah, those skulls were obviously just tacked in place in that photo, in order to get a feeling for their position, spacing etc. In fact, I ended up splicing together an entirely original breastplate using both the skulls and some of that fantastic cabling from Abaddon's stock breastplate:

lorimar-ii-wip-detail-1.jpg

How'd you get the Exalted Deathbringer's skulls on the chest piece? Did you glue the original part on, then carve off the skull on Abaddon's chest and glue them on afterwards? Just trying to figure out an order to do it in to not ruin my own conversion.

Man, I can't keep liking your stuff...my wrist will get busted! :P 

Awesome stuff just as usual! Can't wait to get started on my own Abby conversion. 

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Gederas: Hmm, let me think: If I remember correctly, I started by gluing on the centre skull (without the mandible, by the way. That was added later.). Then I carefully cut the lower two cables away from the stock bit that normally goes on top of Abaddon's breastplate and carefully glued them on in the right way (you can always make sure they are positioned correctly by making sure they line up with the cables on the back of his torso. Then I added the right skull (and shortened/shaved away the cable underneath as needed), and then the upper right cable (again, I made sure to line it up with the cable bit on the back piece of the torso). Then I repeated the previous step with the skull and upper cable on the left side.

All of this requires lots of dry-fitting and waiting for things to dry, but I think it's worth it in the end. Of course if you only really want to replace the centre skull, that would be much easier. I don't think I would glue the entire piece to the breastplate and shave detail away afterwards, though: The risk to lose some detail on those very delicate cables is just too big.

Oh, and just for the record: Those skulls didn't come from the Exalted Deathbringer! The centre one is from some AoS Khorne model of other (although I do not recall which one), but the other two skulls - and the mandible - are from the plastic skulls set.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Gederas: Hmm, let me think: If I remember correctly, I started by gluing on the centre skull (without the mandible, by the way. That was added later.). Then I carefully cut the lower two cables away from the stock bit that normally goes on top of Abaddon's breastplate and carefully glued them on in the right way (you can always make sure they are positioned correctly by making sure they line up with the cables on the back of his torso. Then I added the right skull (and shortened/shaved away the cable underneath as needed), and then the upper right cable (again, I made sure to line it up with the cable bit on the back piece of the torso). Then I repeated the previous step with the skull and upper cable on the left side.

All of this requires lots of dry-fitting and waiting for things to dry, but I think it's worth it in the end. Of course if you only really want to replace the centre skull, that would be much easier. I don't think I would glue the entire piece to the breastplate and shave detail away afterwards, though: The risk to lose some detail on those very delicate cables is just too big.

Oh, and just for the record: Those skulls didn't come from the Exalted Deathbringer! The centre one is from some AoS Khorne model of other (although I do not recall which one), but the other two skulls - and the mandible - are from the plastic skulls set.

Anyway, hope this helps! :smile.:

Wait, they're not from the Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear? Wow, the set-up looks almost exactly like the ones dangling from his belly-plate:

99070201017_ExaltedDeathbringerImpalingS

The only other one it could be from is the Bloodsecrator's skull necklace?

01-01.jpg

In any case, thank you for the step-by-step. That's actually quite helpful. :tu:

No, I don't even have that Exalted Deathbringer. And the skull didn't come from the Bloodsecrator either, because I used that bit on one of my 30k Contemptors. After a bit of research, I have rediscovered the source of the bit, however: It comes with one of the Slaughterpriest sculpts (the one with the two-handed axe), and the stock bit is actually attached to a chain.

Edited by KrautScientist

No, I don't even have that Exalted Deathbringer. And the skull didn't come from the Bloodsecrator either, because I used that bit on one of my 30k Contemptors. After a bit of research, I have rediscovered the source of the bit, however: It comes with one of the Slaughterpriest sculpts (the one with the two-handed axe), and the stock bit is actually attached to a chain.

Oh, sweet. That's very helpful because I'm getting that exact Slaughterpriest next month to do my Master of Executions :lol:

Hm I wonder if gluing the bit on before cutting is easier (without adding any glue to the middle skull part ofc). Experimentation is needed, to the exactomobile!

Khornate Huron looks great btw, I absolutely love every single conversions you've done using the DV marines.

Edited by ElDuderino