Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :smile.:

@ ElDuderino: Yeah, I am still thinking about the fine tuning on that armoured cowl. That being said, I do kinda like it that way, though...

As for the legion badge, steal away! In hindsight, it seems like such a stupidly obvious solution, although it becomes even more trivial now that we have the plastic skull set to work with :wink:

@ Evil Eye: I see where you're coming from, but weirdly enough, the old version worked less well from up close than the photo would make it appear. For some reason, the actual model really seems more balanced now -- weird, right? I am still thinking about tweaking the sword, though. We'll see.

@ Dosjetka: Cheers, mate! That is very nice of you to say! :smile.:

@ jaxom: Haha, you know how it is: If you like what you're doing, every workday can be a fun day :wink:

In other news, the photo isn't great, and the model still needs quite a bit of cleanup, but I am making good progress on my next Hateful Eight World Eater:

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-8.jpg

I may have missed a discussion on this earlier in the thread - but is this a conversion based on another piece of Mark Gibbons artwork?

If so I love it, like I love that art.

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Lexington & RobWrath: Haha, indeed! Even if the model isn't intended to actually *be* Khargos Bloodspitter, it was very much inspired by Dave Gibbons' illustration that came with the original Khargos soundbite, back in the 2nd edition Codex Imperialis:

kargos.jpg

Here's a slightly more cleaned up model in slightly more realistic lighting conditions: It arguably looks less iconic and crimson than the previous picture, but it's closer to what it actually looks like in real life ;)

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-9.jpg

I am currently working on the model's base, and while I did not want to perfectly replicate the "standing on a field of skulls" look from the artwork (as that seems a bit too 1995, even for my tastes, plus it wouldn't match the basing on the rest of the group), I did want to give it a bit of a shout out, so I came up with a bit of a compromise:

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-10.jpg

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-11.jpg

And here's what it looks like mostly painted:

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-12.jpg

Expect the finished model really soon. Until then, let me know what you think! :)

Love Khargos, both your model and the character in the books. The idea of a Berserker Apothecary always sounded so conflicted and yet cool.

I like the base. It recalls the original artwork without copying it.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :smile.:

@ jaxom: I am actually quite alright with the bronze looking somewhat tarnished: It matches the scratches I have painted onto the armour, and also serves as a nice contrast to the relatively bright red.

@ Midnightmare: That's actually the "bog standard" power fist from the new CSM squad kit. Not hard to get hold of at all!

@ ElDuderino: Thanks a lot, mate! It has to be said that your helmet conversion is what really, really sells the model -- I'll be naming him "Brother Orska" in your honour!

@ DuskRaider & Kolgrim DeathHowl: Cheers, gents!

On a related note:

khargos-montage.png

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear."

The model is finally finished! Once again, here's the artwork that inspired it all:

kargos.jpg

And here is the finished model:

2019-world-eaters-31.jpg

2019-world-eaters-33.jpg

2019-world-eaters-38.jpg

2019-world-eaters-37.jpg

2019-world-eaters-36.jpg

2019-world-eaters-35.jpg

2019-world-eaters-34.jpg

And here, just to round things out, are all the little rascals I have so far:

2019-world-eaters-39.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

2019-world-eaters-40.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

100% win right there! I really should have a go at your ‘glamour shots’ as they always look so grimdark.

RE the Powerfist; thanks! I don’t own that kit yet but I am sure to get it at some point due to it’s all round chaos loveliness.

Again, Not Khargos is awesome, as are the whole crew together - you have really enjoyed these guys and it shows :tu: :tu:

So, three to go!

And if I am not wrong we have seen three WIP models (but one is an havok, so I guess not exactly kill team material).

But let me start with the 5 finished guys! I love the way they look so uniform together (the red helps a lot) despite of how marvelously different they are from each other. Lots of kits, AoS/40k, Old/New, Monopose/Multimart and still it all kinda "make sense"... I feel this is your greatest skill as long as conversion go (I have not enough skill to judge the paintJob, aside from the fact that it looks great).

The "black guy" is my favorite, then the one with naked arms, then the "old-but-gold" artwork guy who is not bloodspiller. You have done a great job in capturing the power of that old piece of art but there something around the month that bothers me, I do not know what it is, so I put him in third position. The first two are flawless.

On the three wip I am curious how the "ElDuderino" stile guy will end up, and I have to say I preferred the first variant of the mk3 helmet guy, but that probably depends on the picture. The classic CSM backpack is classic for a reason.

I concur with the "Happiest Havoc Ever" definition, he must love his job. Brilliant work and now I want to cut some bunny years too.

• 2 weeks later...

Krautybuddy!

Haven't been on the board in ix months and I only missed two pages? I hope you're doing well. Have you written a 2019 article at all? Linky please?

Also, this guy:

Hidden Content

2019-world-eaters-34.jpg

is already the second-best miniature of 2020! I'll be spawning my own baby-berzerker soon and he'll be the best miniature of 2020, but this guy comes close. ;) 

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

Krautybuddy!

Haven't been on the board in ix months and I only missed two pages?

So great to see you're back. buddy! As for only missing two pages, huh, it wouldn't be exaggeration to say that people haven't exactly been super eager to comment on the board for the last couple of months. And as for my pace, it was always clear that I would be taking my sweet time with each and every WE model for this project, at the cost of volume ;)

That guy looks absolutely burtal, dude! 

The entire miniature strikes me as a leap forward in your conversion style, actually. I would say that your style (like mine, in a way) is heavily influenced by '90s GW publications, and still retain that slight 'comic-y' tinge of flavour. This guys is moving beyond that and shows a sense of rough realism that came into GW culture with the Horus Heresy world building of Alan Bligh. This miniature isn't playing. This guy means business and he's going to kill you and then maim and burn your body. 

Wow.