Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Simply stunning, man. I like the new icon bearer a lot, and I think you did well in switching the weapon. He also has a very natural pose. Regarding the trophy for your champ, I like it: I mean, in a forcer FULL of badasses, that is a way to make him stand out a bit more from the rest. It also helps that it is anything over the top. I would keep it.

Man, you sure have to feel fulfilled looking at the awesome force you're building. I hope to get there some day too! Looking forward to your next inspiring update!

Cheers!

Edited by Master Umbra

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :)

Currently working on the next World Eater. This gentleman has managed to jump the queue:

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-30.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-31.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-33.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-34.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-36.jpg

Another older conversion, this one. The model is a bit rough around the edges, and also slightly shorter than most of the other squad members, but having waited so long on my pile of shame, the poor guy deserved his day in the limelight.

The paintjob's just about finished -- currently working on the base.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

I feel like the light glow from the right leg (left in picture) draws more attention to itself rather than the models head, since there's no glow in his eyes. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, since it makes it a little off-putting (in a neutral way) in that his "eyes" are on his leg rather than his head. Just something to consider. 

Nice! That's a Greater Possessed torso, right? Awesome conversion. The head is a bit lackluster in comparison to your more recent ones, but it matches the model (y). Paint job is as good as always.

Nice! That's a Greater Possessed torso, right? Awesome conversion. The head is a bit lackluster in comparison to your more recent ones, but it matches the model (y). Paint job is as good as always.

naw the torso and legs are from DV Chosen, with Raptor weapons, CSM backpack and Chaos warrior head. I agree that the head is missing the details his blood warrior brethren get, but looks WIP so I'm sure we will see more of this dude. 

naw the torso and legs are from DV Chosen, with Raptor weapons, CSM backpack and Chaos warrior head. I agree that the head is missing the details his blood warrior brethren get, but looks WIP so I'm sure we will see more of this dude. 

Ah, now I remember the one mini you mean, thanks for your comment! Never got the chance to grab one of those Chosen. I guess that in every army there are some models that, while cool on their own right, must leave the spotlight to the true main pieces of the force :d. This one right here looks like a very cool rank and file dude.

I feel like the light glow from the right leg (left in picture) draws more attention to itself rather than the models head, since there's no glow in his eyes. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, since it makes it a little off-putting (in a neutral way) in that his "eyes" are on his leg rather than his head. Just something to consider. 

This is actually something I’m loving about the paint job. Makes it quite literally look like this brute has lost his soul to chaos. Excellent stuff.

This is actually something I’m loving about the paint job. Makes it quite literally look like this brute has lost his soul to chaos. Excellent stuff.

I'm just stating it from a neutral pov, I think it works amazing if the intent was to create a warrior so off-kilter that his armor has eyes instead of him. It's great.

I can't help but see the "Are you not entertained?" pose on the latest model.

I thought about that too, but the advancing motion of the pose and the almost-beckoning pose of the claw screams:

"Give me a hug Cousin!"

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

Regarding the blue eyes on his shin armour, I honestly didn't even think about it for too long: The skull there had sculpted eyes, so I went for my usual recipe ;) I do see where acrowsperch is coming from, though, seeing how the helmet lacks any kind of eye lenses. Then again, I really loved the blunt, brutal look of that particular helmet and wanted to include it in one of my models, if only to provide a bit of visual variety. One thing that does draw the eye to the helmet, however, is the highlight in Bright Bronze I added to it: It's very noticeable if you see the model before you, but for some reason, it refuses to come out well in photographs...

And yeah, while this guy may not be the star of the show, he still looks cool with the rest of the guys -- and he's too customised to just read as a vanilla grunt, in any case. Oh, and the "Are you not entertained?" pose was very much an intentional choice -- it does seem apt for a World Eater, wouldn't you agree? ;)

When it came to basing the model, I went back to my usual recipe for this project (and, indeed for the rest of my World Eaters). Here's the finished model:

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-37.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-38.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-39.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-40.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-41.jpg

I interpreted the Khorne Berserker's pose as him saying, "Bring it on!" or "Come out and die!" instead of "Are you not entertained?"

I second this. Whether or not it comes through in photos, I love the vacant look of the helmet; the model is gorgeous.

I interpreted the Khorne Berserker's pose as him saying, "Bring it on!" or "Come out and die!" instead of "Are you not entertained?"

Haha, each of these really works for a World Eater, though, so it's all good! :wink:

@ acrowsperch: Cheers, mate! :smile.:

I noticed how virtually none of my recent World Eaters conversions were wielding actual chainaxes, so I created this guy:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-65.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-66.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-67.jpg

He still needs a bit of fine tuning and some additional gear, but I am pretty happy with the model. As you can probably see from the pictures, it’s basically another AoS Blood Warriors/plastic Mk. III/vanilla CSM hybrid. Here he is, next to the icon bearer I recently converted:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-64.jpg

And here’s what the second squad of modernised might look like:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-62.jpg

The roster is still likely to change, of course — for instance, those Havocs technically aren’t even allowed, and even if I ignore that fact, I would probably want to put one of them in each of the squads. But hey, I am slowly hammering out what a second squad might look like, so bear with me :wink:

Oh, in case anyone's interested, I have created a complete writeup/tutorial for my current World Eaters painting recipe over at the blog.

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Nice! Another solid addition to your team of badasses. I must say that I don't really understand what's going on his left pauldron. Will you attach a chain of some sort to the severed head, or will it go pinned to the pauldron itself? Other than that, looks amazing already. I love how the loincloth looks, btw!

Thanks a lot! :smile.:

@BadgersinHills: Yeah, those Chosen are still fantastic models, with lots and lots of converson mileage!

@ Master Umbra: That dangling skull is actually a part of the stock Forgeworld shoulder pad I used -- I didn't put it there :wink:

Upon closer examination, though, the skull seems to be bolted to the shoulder pad (there is a small nub above the skull that I think represents some kind of clasp/bolt mechanism).

Edited by KrautScientist

Wow; Love how you continue to crank out all of these Khornate beasts! Their poses are all spot on too; just goes to show that they don’t have to be running forward to exude that world eater menace and berserker nature. The slight tilt of their helms and way they hold or gesture with their weapons makes all the difference. Being a bit older, I also like how your models harken back to some of the old black and white drawings/ images of WE’s we had back in the day. Great work and always checking in the see more.

Looking lovely, as we've come to expect. Love the combination of Mark III and Blood Warriors – it really captures the 'technobarbaric' feel of the World Eaters. Regarding the heavy weapons, I'd love to see you combine them into a 'Teeth of Khorne' squad, as outlined in Realm of Chaos. The squads you're producing nicely evoke the more warped aesthetic of the early days, leavening it with some of the more ordered, structured uniforms parts. Great combo.

Very nice, I love the skull on the shoulderpad. And I agree with apologist, the combo of Mark III and Blood Warriors kits really brings out the feral side. For the sake of extremism, I'd love to see a conversion where the Berzerker is throwing away his weapons to throttle/beat the enemy with his bare hands, just for kicks.

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! :)

@ Yosef Hausakluif: Having them in mostly static poses is, of course, also a consequence of the vanilla CSM kit's lack of running legs, but then I've always been a fan of static, menacing poses for Chaos Space Marines -- and I'm glad the look seems to have worked here! As for the second part of your comment, this project is very much intended as a tribute to the classic models, so you can expect shout outs like that to keep popping up here and there ;)

@ apologist: Cheers, mate! And yes, the end game for those heavy weapons guys is definitely to be collected into their own Havoc squad, and those will definitely be known as "The Teeth" -- in fact, the model with the rocket launcher was directly inspired by Jes Goodwin's classic Teeth of Khorne concept sketch!

@acrowsperch: Hm, that's an interesting idea, there! I'll keep it in mind!

I have another conversion project to share with you all, and it's an interesting case, both due to its substance but also because seeing Master Umbra convert the feth out of the Obsidius Mallex model was what tipped me over into finally giving it a try. So what is this about?

This is Bardolf, one of the Chaos Lords from my World Eaters collection:

huntmaster-bardolf-3.jpg

He was converted quite a while ago, back in 2010, I'd say, fairly shortly after I got back into the hobby. From a  modern standpoint, the model is a really dodgy conversion, but back then, it felt like a very important step: Bardolf was one of the first models where I really stepped beyond my comfort zone and seriously cut up a model and put it back together in a new and exciting (-seeming) way. So even if the model looks all kinds of weird today, it still marks a pivotal moment in my personal hobby journey.

The other thing that's interesting about Bardolf is that he has actually earned himself his own battle history, as he used to be my go-to Chaos Lord for small, 500 point-ish games. So he actually saw some action on the table and led my World Eaters to victory a bunch of times.

Which is why I kept thinking about giving the character a re-imagined model at some point. The Obsidius Mallex model seemed like an excellent start, so I made a quick mockup:

bardolf-reimagined-wip-0.jpg

And then I started cutting in earnest. Here's what I have right now:

bardolf-reimagined-wip-1.jpg

bardolf-reimagined-wip-2.jpg

bardolf-reimagined-wip-3.jpg

bardolf-reimagined-wip-4.jpg

bardolf-reimagined-wip-5.jpg

Still quite a bit of work left to do: I'll need to work on those shoulder pads (removing the Black Legion symbol, or at least changing it into a World Eaters legion badge), plus I'll have to re-build the fur on his left side. But all in all, I am already pretty happy with how the new model compares to its predecessor:

bardolf-reimagined-wip-6.jpg