Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers for the feedback, guys! You are right, of course, in that this will become a rather huge Flesh Hound: I have always loved the Flesh Hound concept and design, and the creatures are certainly a fantastic fit for an army designed as a hunting party. I really hate the most recent models, though, since they seem so clunky and ill-proportioned.

Using the leftover Bloodthirster head was a spontaneous idea, when I realised it should fit the Dragon Ogre bodies rather well. In the end, it took very little shaving (and the addition of a plastic Daemon Prince neck) to create the basic construction. The angle of the head may still be subject to change, as I am currently experimenting with adding both the neck frills and collar -- both compulsory parts of the model, of course ;)

As for the size, this guy is roughly the same size as a juggernaut (albeit a bit less bulky), so he could be used as a mount for a Marine. I think I'll rather be using him as one of Lorimar's hunting dogs, however, as suggested by SalvationOfReason. Oh, and those front legs will probably be gripping some kind of rocky outcrop, with a mangled Astartes corpse right below the creature's head -- at least that's the plan for now ;)

Hmm, I don't think I'll be able to do anything with the legs, mate -- not without lots of sawing and re-sculpting, at least...

speaking of which, here's a small daemon doggie update: Sorted out the neck frills and collar of Khorne, so the model's mostly there now:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/4/13/704827-Chaos.%20Khorne%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Flesh%20Hound%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/4/13/704826-Chaos.%20Khorne%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Flesh%20Hound%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/4/13/704825-Chaos.%20Khorne%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Flesh%20Hound%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/4/13/704824-Chaos.%20Khorne%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Flesh%20Hound%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

In case anyone was wondering, I did actually try both leftover 'thirster heads, but while the second one was also rather bestial, it was also decidedly less canine. Plus I really wanted to use that fabulous RoC/HeroQuest style bone crown on a model -- it really makes the hound look like the king of Flesh Hounds, doesn't it?

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Scribe: Huh? Is there a canonical number of toes on Flesh Hounds, or are you just talking about visual preferences? As for your question, the heads from the 'Thirster kit would be...

• quite a bit too small for a fiend, if you ask me
  • just right for a juggernaut, with a tiny bit of work
  • slightly too big (but ultimately still useable) on a Daemon Prince...
  • ...or possibly a mutated Helbrute

@ Battybattybats: That is very kind of you to say! Cheers!

Yeah, I'd need to repeat 'And they shall know no fear' to myself a good number of times' if I came across it on the battlefield.

The Master of Signals is really cool, though I would have quite liked to see him wearing that awesome helmet you've knocked up. It seems a shame to have it facing the ground on his belt.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I am really happy I had this idea, because the Dragon Ogres were sitting in my bitzbox more or less unused: I originally bought them because I thought they might become daemon princes -- alas, they were a little too small for that. And while the kit has quite a few useful bitz, it's great to have found a useful function for those reptilian lower bodies ;)

The other bestial head from the Bloodthirster kit would probably work on the model, although it would look less convincing than the one I used: The nose isn't even the problem -- rather, the head is far broader, making for a slightly hokey look. But I could build a second of these daemon doggies, if I wanted -- we'll see... ;)

When it comes to painting the model, I think I'll be going for something closely resembling the current GW scheme, i.e. red skin and black/dark grey scales. The colour recipe works, it's just that the current Finecast models are horrible ;)

As for the base, that'll be a bit of a challenge, as I will have to construct a rock for the front legs to rest on, but the rock mustn't obscure too much of the model. Ah well, I'll think of something...

Wow that is an awesome Hound, and Juggernaut sized to boot.

Maybe this could be Lorimars Ride? You said you'd do a mounted version of your Captain :D

I could imagine Lorimar leaning forward and holding a scrap of Farseer cloak by the Hounds snout and ordering it to hunt down the witch scum... Maybe in vengeance for the times they have dodged him during your campaign a while back?

I will admit I couldn't see either of the other 'thirster heads on this beast... he would end up with a smooshed looking face like those little designer dogs...

Glad you didn't go the Pugs 4 Khorne route :biggrin.:

Pugs for the Pug God? 

I do agree that the front legs look a little wonky, but it has the potential to be very menacing indeed. I'm keen to see what you can come up with!