Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers, mate! Glad to hear it, too, because that was certainly one of the most important things about this conversion: I wanted his legion to instantly recognisable from looking at the model.

And here he is, already undercoated:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/4/711233-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/4/711231-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/4/711232-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

I doubt I'll be going any further with him tonight, but I like how he already seems more finished than models merely undercoated in black or white. Yes, I know it's a cheap psychological trick, but still...

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Great looking III legionnaire - just kidding it is obviously an Iron Warrior. It is really interesting what the metallic undercoat does.  did you prime it first or did that colour go directly on the plastic?

Cheers, mate! As per InsanePsychopath's suggestion, the model was first undercoated with Chaos Black spray, then the Leadbelcher spray went one. Worked very well for the Warsmith, seems to work just as well for this guy.

Where is that Helmet from, my buddy is making plans for an IW army he'll loose his shiznaz over that helm.

Also, top looking conversion. Instantly knew it was an IW even before he was all metallic.

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Vladvar: Your own Iron Warriors were actually a huge inspiration for this guy, along with InsanePsychopath's army. Glad to finally be able to put all those stolen IW ideas to use on an actual model! ;)

No worries mate, don't worry I shall steal some ideas from you too :P haha glad I can be of some source inspiration, as are you.... Now I just need to get out of my Lamenters phase to get back on with my IWs... Although with all that mech stuff coming out I have caught the dark mech bug, lol.

Cheers for the kind words, guys!

@ OSS: Haha, you caught me red-handed there, mate: I feel kinda ashamed now, because that helmet is really great for Iron Warriors, isn't it? In any case, you may rest easy in the knowledge that you already did it before it was cool ;)

@ Shinobi: Don't worry -- that thread of yours is pretty great as well, so I can lurk/stalk right back when I need to ;)

Nice iron warrior, solid in his design. I especially dig the choice of helmet(looks so much like their skull emblem) and his simple but violent powersword. Keep it up, I always check this thread for updates. :)

Yup, he's awesome. If you're finished with your IWs, and still find no use for them... You hVe my address! :wink: just sayin' :biggrin.:

ohyou.jpg

Seriously, though: Cheers for the feedback! ;)

I think we all know at this point that there will at least be an Iron Warriors Killteam -- I am just too happy with the Warsmith and progress on the champ so far, so yesterday evening I caught myself thinking: "If I were to build an Iron Warriors Killteam, one of them would have to be an Apothecary, due to the IW's well-documented history of scavengin geneseed..."

I was already sitting at my desk before I could stop myself. Here's an early WIP:

iron-warriors-apothecary-wip.jpg

I also went back to the only IW model I had painted before the Warsmith: A rather ancient CSM kitbash, built even before my hobby hiatus (that lasted for most of th 2000s) and later painted as an Iron Warrior, because I needed a model to test the (then) new Nuln Oil on. Here's the original model:

iw_old-01.jpg

iw_old-02.jpg

While I didn't completely repaint the model, I did touch up those hazard stripes, because I like my new recipe for yellow much better. I also added another "IV" decal to the left shoulder pad and got rid of the clunky icon, while I was at it:

iw_new-1.jpg

iw_new-2.jpg

iw_new-3.jpg

Just some final touchups and a new, suitably muddy base, and he'll be done.

Haha, we will see. I'll try to stay strong ;)

A small update: The refurbished Iron Warrior now has a base:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/6/711769-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

I think I'll leave him like this. Like I said, the model is ancient, so it doesn't exactly warrant a full repaint -- I'd rather use that energy on a new model ;)

Speaking of which, there has been a bit of progress on the champ:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/6/711765-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/6/711767-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

He'll still need quite a bit of work until I can call him finished, but we are certainly getting there.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! Glad to see that you three at least had something to say about these models ;)

@ GREY88: As Shinobi correctly pointed out, it's a head from the Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers kit.

@ Shinobi: Cheers, mate! I think the Skitarii themselves are more mysterious with their heads completely covered, so it was clear to me that this head would be used on something else -- I was surprised that it worked so well on a Chaos Space Marine, though.

@ Midnight Runner: That is very nice of you to say! :)

Anyway, I did some more cleanup work on the Iron Warriors champion, and he's mostly finished now, except for some final touchups and the base:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/9/712359-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/9/712360-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/9/712361-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

And here's what the beginning of the actual Killteam look like right now:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/9/712362-Champion%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

While I am sure it's been asked before and I have gone through a few dozen pages now atleast, I figured no harm to ask. What recipe do you use for your red for the Khorny Marines? 

Very inspiring thread and works, has helped me now that I started to collect Marines beyond by past Khorne Daemons with the Daemonkin release. 

Many thanks.

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Kriegsmacht: Yeah, I was lucky enough to pick up some of them as part of an ebay auction quite a while ago, and I think they still hold up rather well -- they would be a great fit for Iron Hands as well, come to think of it.

@ Torbenos: Cheers, man! Here's a short(ish) writeup about that red recipe. To quote myself:

I work over a black undercoat. For the base colour, I have been using the old GW Mechrite Red so far. Afterwards, the red areas get a generous wash with GW Devlan Mud (or Army Painter Strong Tone or GW Agrax Earthshade or whatever else you have), and then I add another thin layer of the (even older) GW Blood Red. While this recipe has always worked pretty well for me, it does have two problems: One, I still hate painting the red areas and am always happy once they are finished and two, it relies on colours that are no longer available.

So if I were to plan a new colour recipe for my army today, I would probably start with a red spraypaint (either Army Painter Dragon Red or Pure Red, or the new GW Khorne Red spray) and then work from there. I think I'd keep the wash, but I would have to find a new red for the top layer. Mephiston Red looks great and works well, although it doesn't have quite the orange-red hue the old Blood Red had. Evil Sunz Scarlet or Wild Rider Red may be worth a look, although I have yet to experiment with them myself.

So, to make a long story short, using the exact same colours as me won't help you, as you probably won't be able to get hold of them. The basic approach still stands, though: Get a solid red base colour (preferredly as a spray paint), then add a brown wash, then a final layer to add some pop to the whole thing. If I were you (and as soon as my last reserves of paint run out, I will be in the very same situation you are in, so yeah), I'd probably get the two Army Painter sprays as well as one pot each of Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet and Wild Rider Red plus a pot of a brown wash of your choice and just paint some disposable test models until you find a hue you are happy with. There's something great and liberating about being at the beginning of a project, because you are still free to find a recipe that suits you without having to match the colour of the one-hundred models you already have. So just dive in!

@ JeffTibbetts: Haha, don't worry, mate: I am really happy with those Iron Warriors as well, and that's just the look I was going for, so it's all good. If anything, my World Eaters will profit from little side projects like this, because once I return to Khorne's Eternal Hunt, I will invariably try to incorporate the best parts of what I have learned.

@ Biohazard: Wait, buddy, so you're telling me you're going to build two Knights before painting the Gorehound? Nuts!

Technically yes but at my last Apoc game the Gorehound was knocked off a table so suffered catastrophic damage that I need to fix. I've rebuilt it so many times I'm actually a little sick of it. I'm hoping the Knights will reignite my passion for walkers and spur me on to fix it and paint it.

Aw, mate, that's tough! How many times has that Gorehound been knocked around now? Must be some kind of Tzeentchian plot...

The Knight kit is wonderful, though, and you will have a blast building it! As for the painting side of things, I am about to find out whether that'll be fun as well ;)

Say, buddy, if I may be so shameless: If you've got two Knights coming, are both of them the new, more comprehensive kit? And if so, would you be willing to trade with me for one of those optional rocket launchers?