Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

I congratulate you, good sir. That's a fantastic start of an IW Kill Team. Your modelling skills are, as usual, beyond awesome, and I love how the muted colors add to the grimy feel of the squad. Very well done, I'm excited to see more.

Edited by Brother Kortmer

Thanks for the kind words, guys! This has really become a fun, inspiring little project, and I am rather enjoying myself :)

A small setback today: I dropped by my FLGS in order to pick up the Kastelan Robots I had preordered, but GW forgot to send the Kastelan kits the owner of the store had ordered from them. I was a bit disappointed, because two piles of bitz are already waiting for those Kastelans. It goes without saying they will be re-consecrated to the service of the dark gods ;)

Instead, I decided to tackle another experiment that should go towards finally getting my Chaos Knight painted (for the ETL, no less). It's very obvious to me that I'll need a way to speedily basecoat the red armour plates of the model, and after my thoroughly pleasant experiences with the new Leadbelcher spray, I thought I'd give the Mephiston Red spray paint a try. So here's a test model, undercoated with Chaos Black and then basecoated with the Mephiston Red spray:

new-red-test-model-01.jpg

The photo isn't great, but I was rather surprised by the vibrant red I ended up with! And all over a black undercoat, no less. So I am carefully optimistic about using the colour on my Chaos Knight -- and who knows, maybe there's even a more streamlined recipe for my World Eaters in it? I'll keep you posted! ;)

Cheers, guys!

I had actually considered getting some of the red Army Painter sprays, but the GW one just turned out to be easier to get hold of (as it didn't require an order).

Speaking of red, I have some pictures to share with you today that have lots of red in them: It's been ages since I last posted a proper army showcase for my entire World Eaters army. so it was time to troop them all out and take some new pictures — quite a task at this point, because the army has grown so big that it has become rather unwieldy for photo sessions :wink:

But I persevered, and here are the results: The entirety of Khorne’s Eternal Hunt as of May 2015:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715081-Army%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

Like I said, quite a bit of red, eh? ;)

Seriously, though: It’s possibly not the biggest army out there (everything in the picture above adds up to about 4,000 points), or the best-painted one. But it’s easily one of my biggest hobby achievements so far, and the project I always keep returning to. And I do feel pretty proud when seeing them neatly arrayed like that — or at least, as neatly arrayed as is possible with a horde of bloodthirsty maniacs…

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715082-Army%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

The lineup pitured above also includes some twelve or so Khorne berzerkers that were painted way back when, during the late 90s. The paintjobs are really showing their age by now, but I just couldn’t bring myself to exclude them from the picture (and the extra bodies also come in handy during games, of course).

On the other hand, when I look back at the development of the army over the last year or so, there have been some fairly recent additions that I am especially happy with, so let’s take a closer look at those:

First up, here are all the models added to the army since the last “official” army shocase back in 2014:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715083-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.jpg

Not a huge mass of models, certainly, but some of my favourite pieces have been the work of the last one or two years, such as my supreme Chaos Lord, Lord Captain Lorimar, who is now finally leading the force from the front, as it should be:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715080-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.jpg

I also have a very soft spot for the ancients of the company: I really like building and painting Dreadnoughts, so there are four of them all in all: Brother Marax the Fallen, Brother Damokk the Breacher, Brother Khorlen the Lost and Brother Khoron the Undying, Keeper of Trophies:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715079-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Dreadnought%2C%20Helbrute%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

I rather love Dreadnoughts, so making each of these into a true character in their own right has been a fun challenge. They now form the Barbershop Helquartet of DOOM!, obviously (overpowered dataslate pending) ;)

And while we are on the subject of heavy hitters, there's also Huntmaster Deracin with his menagerie of daemon engines:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715078-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Engine%2C%20Defiler%2C%20Forgefiend.jpg

So, anything else? For one, it feels I should give more attention to these guys, my Blood Wolves, because I really like the look of this small group:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715084-Blood%20Wolves%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

This is just a fairly minor detail, but I like how all the leftover champions and stragglers almost form their own – pretty cool – squad by now. Take a look:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/19/715085-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

For an extremely lazy painter like yours truly, that is quite a nice little extra benefit ;)

So yeah, so much for my updated army showcase. Don’t worry, there’ll be more madmen in red and brass in the future. But for now, I am very pleased with this army’s development over the last few years!

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Wow, taht's truly a beautiful army - your armyshot really shows the result of your efforts beautifully! I'd have never guessed those to be 4,000 points already, so colour me surprised as well as impressed! :-)

Hey guys,

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I should post this, and I'll probably sound pretty whiney, but anyway: I've been getting quite a few likes for the last few posts, which is great! Thanks for that! But something that I've been thinking about for a while now is that likes are actually a pretty inconsequential way of interacting with each other, aren't they? So I'll just be blunt about this: If you like a post well enough to "like" it, it would be great if you could also consider leaving a comment, even if it's just a short one -- this is a forum, after all ;) And this certainly goes for all the other threads on this forum as well, of course! Personally speaking, I am trying to always back up a like with a comment, even if I only manage to comment later. Sometimes I get lazy and forget, but it's something I am actively trying to do.

So yeah, sorry if this comes across as attention seeking on my part (it is, let's not mince words here), but I'd be happy if those who "like" my posts also liked them well enough to comment. Thanks for bearing with me, and we shall now return to our regular programme... ;)

Hey guys,

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I should post this, and I'll probably sound pretty whiney, but anyway: I've been getting quite a few likes for the last few posts, which is great! Thanks for that! But something that I've been thinking about for a while now is that likes are actually a pretty inconsequential way of interacting with each other, aren't they? So I'll just be blunt about this: If you like a post well enough to "like" it, it would be great if you could also consider leaving a comment, even if it's just a short one -- this is a forum, after all :wink: And this certainly goes for all the other threads on this forum as well, of course! Personally speaking, I am trying to always back up a like with a comment, even if I only manage to comment later. Sometimes I get lazy and forget, but it's something I am actively trying to do.

So yeah, sorry if this comes across as attention seeking on my part (it is, let's not mince words here), but I'd be happy if those who "like" my posts also liked them well enough to comment. Thanks for bearing with me, and we shall now return to our regular programme... :wink:

I've been thinking about that too Kraut. so you're not the only one. It's a bit like Facebook as it's so easy and tempting to just hit the like button and run off (I'm guilty of this too :wink:). It's not that I don't like the likes (see what I did there :tongue.:) though! But please back them up with a comment (and I'll be trying to do that more too!).

Anwyays, carry on! I'm done with my little rant of agreement :ph34r.:

Edited by Leviathus

Hey guys,

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I should post this, and I'll probably sound pretty whiney, but anyway: I've been getting quite a few likes for the last few posts, which is great! Thanks for that! But something that I've been thinking about for a while now is that likes are actually a pretty inconsequential way of interacting with each other, aren't they? So I'll just be blunt about this: If you like a post well enough to "like" it, it would be great if you could also consider leaving a comment, even if it's just a short one -- this is a forum, after all :wink: And this certainly goes for all the other threads on this forum as well, of course! Personally speaking, I am trying to always back up a like with a comment, even if I only manage to comment later. Sometimes I get lazy and forget, but it's something I am actively trying to do.

So yeah, sorry if this comes across as attention seeking on my part (it is, let's not mince words here), but I'd be happy if those who "like" my posts also liked them well enough to comment. Thanks for bearing with me, and we shall now return to our regular programme... :wink:

Well it is your blog/plog so you should always feel free to say what you like (within B&C standards of course).  I rarely hit like if i don't have something to say, but sometimes it is hard to find something else to say that hasn't alraedy been said.

I feel the same way in my blog here and on my own site. But all in all I keep going, like I hope you do. Don't worry I will keep commenting either way :)

Hey guys,

Hey Kraut, you're definitely right about that tendency. But I'm reluctant to leave a one sentence comment like "it's awesome" and the like.

And sometimes, I just can't find the words. Your army lets me speechless : every single mini is massively converted, the painting level is excellent and, more important to me, the whole is perfectly coherent. You managed to keep your whole bunch of highly converted minis to look like a real army.

Ok, maybe not *that* speechless ;)

Hey guys,

I have similar feelings on the subject KrautScientist, but I can't help but feel that some people really just don't have the time to comment fully when they hit the "like" button.  Conversely, maybe they have the time, but can't fully, or properly, articulate what they want to say about your work.   But I'd rather receive a "like" than post an update with what I believe to be quality content, only to have it seemingly ignored.   There are times when you have to wonder if your blog wouldn't get more traffic if you posted videos of yourself fighting a bear while simultaneously riding a unicycle and juggling flaming chainsaws.    Making a blog on a site like this opens yourself up a considerable bit to things like comments and criticism-- and while it's great when you get it; you have to kind of keep in mind that there are hundreds of other people who are posting blogs looking for the same C&C.

You know, this thread just gave me a nose bleed. I think something in my brain popped. Such a wonderfully characterful mob of psychopaths. Proof positive that if you choose your battles (keeping your painting scheme straight-forward while really embellishing with bashing and converting) the final whole will always be so much more than the parts. The key is getting it done! Once you've got a group of models finished and together, the effect is compounding, and any of the little details that are off just melt away.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of silently dropping 'likes'. In defense of the action, know that in my case it really is a case of time and just what I want to convey. For me, even a short reply usually takes a bit of time for my mind to craft. If I type something I usually want to say something when I have some real input, feedback, suggestions, or something with substance. Say "That is amazing! Keep it up." is nice, but it lacks depth, so that's just what I mean to convey with a silent 'like'. :)

So much great content to have to consume is another mixed blessing. Never enough time to give it all the recognition it deserves. So much amazing

Cheers for the kind words, guys! :) Regarding the "Likes vs. comments" issue, I'm glad it didn't come across as mere whining on my part. You all raise some excellent points of course, and I can definitely understand the lack of time argument. That said, and I am just articulating my personal opinion here, if a thread shows you something that you find inspiring, or something that you want to copy, or an idea you want to use as the base for a conversion of your own, I think it's only fair to make the time to comment. It's certainly something that I have been trying to do, and I will go so far as to return a few days later, if need be, once I have the time and leave a comment then. Anyway, I don't want to be too pushy about this point, so suffice it to say that every little comment helps -- even the "That's awesome!" stuff ;)

Anyway, returning to our regular broadcast, I have a couple of things to share with you today:

First up, my experiments with the Mephiston Red spray have actually turned out a bit disappointing. Here's the model I undercoated with the spray with the base colours blocked in:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715834-New%20red%20recipe%20test%2002.JPG

Looks alright at first glance, doesn't it? The problem is that the red has a very rough finish. I guess this should be expected of a colour that was probably designed as an undercoat, but it's far more noticeable here than with the other GW sprays I have used so far. Plus it also seems like the colours I painted on top of the red are really easy to rub off! Now that's a bit of a dealbreaker right there, isn't it? I am not sure whether I did something wrong and thereby produced the effect. What I do know is that the silver has started to rub off the bolt pistol, for instance, several times -- merely due to normal handling!

Anyway, I added the washes and a thin layer of Blood Red, and here's what the model looks like right now:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715835-New%20red%20recipe%20test%2003.JPG

The hue of red certainly looks pretty close to my usual recipe, although the fact remains that the texture of the red areas is very rough and very dull, something not even covering them with additional layers of paint seems to change. And the colours are still fairly easy to rub off (you can see it on the base rim, for instance). I'll still need to do some further experiments, but for now it seems pretty unlikely that I'll use the spray on my Knight, thereby potentially ruining a 100+ Euros model. After my very positive experiences with the Leadbelcher spray, this is a pretty big disappointment, to be honest...

In order to feel more productive, I built yet another Iron Warrior:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715831-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Killteam%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715832-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Killteam%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715833-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Killteam%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

Seeing how my IW killteam is built around what I consider the big Iron Warrior archetypes, there were two ideas I wanted to use on this model: The first is the Marine's CC weapon, which represents an Iron Warriors entrenching tool. The other was the use of a bionic leg, and I do realise that some may see this as a bit of a divisive feature, because I went for a - fairly thin - Skitarii leg. However, this was a rather conscious choice, because I wanted to go for a slightly peg-legged look: Seeing how the entire armour will be silver, a leg painted in silver wouldn't stand out too much, which is why I went for the Skitarii part.

Oh, and one final thing: I was finally able to pick up my Kastelan kit yesterday. Yay! Originally, I was going to leave you with this teaser here...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715836-Conversion%2C%20Kastelan%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

...but I have actually managed to get a bit more work in, and here's a WIP of my first Kastelan conversion:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715838-Conversion%2C%20Kastelan%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.jpg

Here's how the model compares to a Dreadnought, by the way:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/22/715837-Conversion%2C%20Kastelan%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.jpg

Can anyone tell me how a Kastelan would compare to a Contemptor, size-wise? Do you think it would be possible to use a Kastelan as a reasonable Contemptor stand-in?

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/contemptor16.jpg

There's a good scale reference for you. Think your Kastelan may need to be a little bit taller. As it stands, it's brilliant!

Oh man, that is nice. Those robots really grabbed my attention last week, and now you already have two... concerning the size: your robot is about 2/3 between a dreadnought and a contemptor. Contemptor's do look a little more beefy, so perhaps a robot could be like a baby contemptor? I don't know. Whatever. You should still continue to include these in your army.

The army shots looks amazing! I'm tempted to just grab my stuff and travel abroad just to face them in glorious battle!

I like the look of the Kastelans too, really looking forward to see more.