Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Torus is probably one of my favourites because of how wonderfully OTT he is. Between the Bloodletter horns framing the head and the enormous axe he just looks awesome. Deracin and Stian Gul look great too, and Lorimar is fantastic as always.

Loving the group shot of your characters buddy. The individual legends each of them carry really adds a lot to them. I've been very lax with my characters back stories. Something I need to remedy soon.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

@ Augs: Yeah, it has always surprised me how people who got unto the hobby during the early to mid-90s (probably prompted by HeroQuest and/or 2nd edition 40k) often seem to share very similar the hobby biographies. Is there a common reason for the hiatus during the early 2000s as well, I wonder? Anyway, we could probably share very similar "war stories" about our early years in the hobby, eh? ;)

@ Squigsquasher: Cheers, mate! In hindsight, Torus may even be a bit too extreme for my taste, but I still think the idea with the Bloodletter head is kinda neat -- it was very much inspired by the villain in the Space Marine videogame, btw.

@ Biohazard: Thanks, buddy! If that is any consolation, sometimes parts of a conversion or a paintjob can be enough of suggest what kind of character a particular model might represent. And before long, you'll find yourself having an idea for an actual personality and then building the model to match it. Anyway, if you ever want to bash around background ideas, just hit me up ;)

So I don't want to spam this thread with old content, but here's another picture from the same shooting, albeit taken against a diffferent background. I wanted to share it because it rguably does a much better job of showing off the colours as they are looking in real life:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/6/805475-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Huntmaster%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Stian Gul remains one of the coolest characters I've seen. I imagine him in a scouting party, killing the sentries of a Guard encampment. and then, standing on the corpse, sounding that horn of his, calling the rest of the Eternal Hunt, and terrifying the living crap of the rest of the guardsmen in the camp. ;)

Anyway, yeah, I think many of us took a hiatus during the early zero's to study and enjoy that life, while many of us got back to the hoby when our life became more regular due to jobs etc. I myself worked a little to hard and got told by my doctor to ´pick up something you enjoyed doing as a teenager´.  ;)

Cheers, mate! :)

Hmm, you're probably right about how that kind of hobby hiatus generally occured -- however, I also remember that the releases throughout the mid 2000s just didn't click with me all that well, and neither did the direction the game developed in: Back then, GW tried the whole Apcalypse thing for the first time, IIRC, but neither the Baneblade nor the Ork Stompa had the iconic quality of, say, the Imperial Knight, so I wasn't really impressed. In fact, it took until 2010's (admittedly spectacular) Dark Eldar re-design for me to get interested in the hobby again on a regular basis.

Aaaanyway...

Like I said, a lack of Chaos Black spray currently prevents me from tackling my next ETL model. However, in order to at least keep my painting momentum going, I quickly started to paint a model for my Traitor Guard that I have wanted to paint for quite a while now -- and it had the advantage of already being undercoated as well :wink: Take a look:

traitor-elite-icon-bearer-pip-1.jpg

traitor-elite-icon-bearer-pip-2.jpg

traitor-elite-icon-bearer-pip-3.jpg

This guy is the icon bearer for my converted, chaotic Tempestus Scions, and I am pretty pleased with the conversion, to be honest. He's still missing a bit of detail work (and a suitably heretical design on that banner of his), but you get the idea.

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, guys! :)

With the loss of your shop, will you now be ordering from GW directly through mail order? That's what I did when I was abroad for a while a couple years ago.

Ordering from GW is the obvious solution, yes. I am also at Hanover fairly frequently, and there's a GW store there within walking distance from the central station. Plus rumour has it that there's actually another independent store near where I live, only I've never checked it out. Relax, though: That spray can will get here before the deadline ;)

I like that a lot.

What ideas do you have for the Banner? Khorn or more generic Chaos?

Hmm, I guess the answer to that is: a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B ;) Here's the finished model:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/8/806051-Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Cultists%2C%20Elites%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Renegades%2C%20Tempestus%20Scions.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/8/806050-Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Cultists%2C%20Elites%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Renegades%2C%20Tempestus%20Scions.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/8/806052-Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Cultists%2C%20Elites%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Renegades%2C%20Tempestus%20Scions.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/8/806053-Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Cultists%2C%20Elites%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Renegades%2C%20Tempestus%20Scions.JPG

I decided to recreate an effect that I had used on my Traitor basilisk, painting the banner to look like flayed skin and then using Tamiya Clear Red to dab on chaotic icons. The general idea of using incomplete circles like that originally came from Dave Taylor's Blood Pact, possibly the coolest Traitor Guard army in existence.

And this means I now have a full squad of these guys, too. Take a look:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/8/806048-Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Cultists%2C%20Elites%2C%20Kitbash%2C%20Renegades%2C%20Tempestus%20Scions.jpg

This squad has taken quite a while to come together, but I am actually really, really happy with the result: The squad has a certain look of uniformity about it, while also being feral and vicious (and, well, chaotic) enough to read as an archenemy unit.

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

That is a mean looking squad. My favourite is probably the champion(?) in the centre, but the plasma gunner looks great too, especially with that excellent OSL and the creepy shrouded head.

I imediatly thought "Blood Pact", when I saw the first guy! :laugh.:

I like the whole squad as well,nice builts and painting of course, but I think I would have used another cultist or traitor

guard head for the guy on the far right, I think he doesn´t quiet fit the theme of the others...

What are those crooked swords from btw? Dark Elves? Skaven?

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, guys! I am really happy with the squad, and it makes me all the happier to hear you like them as well! ;)

@ Squigsquasher: Cheers, mate! That is indeed the champion and my personal favourite as well -- in fact, it's probably the closest I have ever come to building what I consider to be the quintessential traitor commander, and easily one of my favourite models!

@ Lord Velpe: Hmm, while I hadn't noticed it myself, maybe the difference you speak of is due to the fact that the guy on the right was actually the first test model for the squad, and then things just got more and more unhinged as I kept adding new squadmembers ;) I do think he still fits in fairly well, though, and if I ever bump the squad up to ten members, I'll make sure to add a couple of models that are closer to him, visually.

@ Lord Velpe & recon0321: The various swords came from different sources. Off the top of my head...

• the icon bearer's sword (along with the entire hand and most of the arm) came from the Skaven Stormvermin
  • the champion's sword is an old gobling sword grafted to a chaos warrior sword's crossguard
  • the nasty looking sword/knife on the guy with the plasma gun is a Skaven clan rat speartip added to a Space Marine Scout combat knife

@ Soric: I would like to bring the squad up to ten, eventually, and Tempestus Scions are a perfect base for a million conversions, so it's going to happen eventually -- don't ask me when, though... ;)

@ Mechanist: Thanks a lot, mate! :)

Those chaos guardsmen are great mat (love the banner) and your Fabius counts as is all the awesomez, great work.

Got to admit, I love the officer pics, really shows your power weapons popping against the red of Khorne :tu:

Hey guys,

only a small update today: I was incredibly lucky enough to be sent a nearly complete Angron model by fellow hobbyist Adam (of Between the Bolter And Me): The model is merely missing a few bitz and bobs, and it's certainly a great feeling to be in the possession of the Lord of the Red Sands now ;) As an unexpected bonus, this has also allowed me to take some comparison pictures featuring both FW's stock Angron and my own plastic version. Take a look:

angron-twins-3.jpg

angron-twins-1.jpg

angron-twins-2.jpg

Now it's not an easy comparison to make, given the stock Angron's very crouched pose, but I think the FW model would be a bit taller, if both were to stand up straight. However, the difference in height is not nearly as extreme as one might have expected, while the difference in bulk is easy enough to explain away by the FW version being fully armoured. So all in all, I am fairly confident that my plastic conversion is actually tall enough to work as a Primarch, after all!

Seeing them side-by-side really shows how well you nailed Angron (no pun intended). I have no difficulty seeing them as different models of the same character.

Speaking of Forge World, it's a shame their models are so expensive, 'cause I'd love to see you do your magic on some of their kits- specifically the Hell Talon, the Blood Slaughterer, the Brass Scorpion and, for your traitor guard, the Minotaur. Though actually I reckon you could manage some pretty neat plastic Blood Slaughterers/Brass Scorpions if your Wargrinder is anything to go by.

It's funny how ork arms don't look out of place even on a model of near-primarch size. Gorilla arms indeed. FW Angron seems to be maybe a head or two taller than his counterpart if upright, but I think the difference is negligible. It's an inspired and well executed conversion, worthy of the madman. :thumbsup: