A New Chapter: RT Space Marines +++Reinforcements!+++

Shadespyre

I might have to ask them to make a set if that's the quality :smile.: One thing to note regarding the size - Rogue Trader Marine pads seem to be smaller than modern ones, so the ones you have should fit better I think :smile.:

Good to see an update in any case :happy.:

Looking good! I think those are the first I've seen in the wild. I haven't heard anything in over a month regarding my order. I guess he dude's busy. Hey, those look a tiny bit grainy. Is that your paint or are they a bit pixelated? Did you submit raster artwork, like a jpeg or something? Just curious. They look great, but on a smaller one I can see thin lines maybe being an issue. I bet vector artwork would fix that? Or maybe it's just the pic. Hard to tell.

I think the KS cost me $35 or something like that. I got 3 A5 sheets of my custom decals and a bonus sheet from their "standard" range - I got assorted Radioactivity warning signs.  

My request was simple white on a clear background, but I could have had multicoloured or whatever if I'd wanted. They double print light colours over a white underlayer to get the best colour density.

I submitted my design as a Word document, because I'd previously made one up to print my own (rubbish) decals, along with a high res JPG version. But as I understand it they turn everything into scaleable vector graphics. They will work from a sketch or description too, and they sent me back a proof version of the art to okay before printing:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/cid_ii_14ed4061ba02d05f_zpsktcf7r6l.jpg

The smallest circles here are 6mm diameter (about 1/4 "), I think I need to go as small as 4mm for some jobs, Dunno how the art will bear up that small.

There's a bit of speckling all over the model, not sure if it's dust or too thick dullcote. I can only see it in the photo. I don't see an issue specifically on the decal.

There have been a number of technical delays while they got used to the printer and got all the settings just right, but  they seem to be shipping everything now. I think they are open to new orders now, too.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC03508_zpsuwhos9lj.jpg

More decals. I had trouble getting the next couple to sit flat, so I've started snipping cuts into the edge of the decal to (hopefully) allow them to overlap themselves a bit. Seems to be helping.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC03510_zpsmkpruchu.jpg

And on a Rhino. The white stripe pretty much precludes putting a huge Chapter badge in the centre, so this will get balanced by some sort of compnay or squad badging on the other door.

Edited by Shadespyre

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Completely slacked off on this project recently, currently working on weird projects for 1930s gaming. 

I think my next moves with my Marines are going to be admin - finalizing what further squads I want to paint up, clearing out spares and designing another sheet or two of decals to do all the squad and company markings I want to add. I think that would provide the impetus to get back to my squad-per-month speed of painting, and finish off the army in 2016.

I also seem to have kinda accidentally collected a whole bunch of RT Space Orks, and Eldar Harlequins, but we don't talk about that sort of thing here!:smile.:  

• 1 month later...

Well, in a fit of enthusiasm I made an Assault Squad...

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC04494_zpsrfpzjzzg.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC04496_zpsvyiixkkl.jpg

I left off the Sergeant's banner pole, that just seemed too silly! I do like the different silhouette that you get with the big jump packs, though they look rather bulky and impractical.

The Mark VII Captain reminds me of the battle report between Andy Chambers' Ultramarines and Gav Thorpe's Eldar in the 3rd Edition Rulebook. I always enjoy a touch of nostalgia, so keep 'em coming!

I'd need to see his picture again before I agree with that, but I remember that BatRep too; aaah, good times!! When GW was a Company run by gamers, for gamers!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

RIGHT THEN, I AM BACK!

The good news is that I've pretty much finished the big fantasy project that's been distracting me for a few years, so Space Marines are back to front and centre in my thoughts. I'm not promising not do do other projects, but this is now #1 priority.

The bad news is that I have a bunch of "real life" things to do at the moment, including making it possible for me to sleep in my work room for a few days while I have a guest staying here - there's a sofa bed somewhere under all those boxes of miniatures, I'm pretty sure... This is going to limit me a bit until early May, but I can do a bit of planning and light modelling around that.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's review where we'd got to - I wrote a "to do" list at some point, here it is...

HQ:

Captain

Terminator Captain

Librarian

Chaplain

Techmarine

Command Squad (still not sure what models to use!)

Troops:

3 Tactical Squads

1 Tactical Squads

1 Scout Squad

Elites:

1 Sternguard Squad (using Terminator Honours marines)

3 Dreadnoughts

1 Dreadnought

1 Terminator Squad

Fast Attack:

1 Assault Squad

1 Bike Squad

1 Attack BIke Squad

1 Landspeeder Squadron

Heavy Support:

1 Devastator Squad

2 Predator Destructors

1 Predator Annihilator

1 Whirlwind

1 Vindicator

1 Land Raider

Transport:

2 Rhinos

2 Rhinos

Anything in bold has been started (assembly, some painting, whatever)

Anything in bold italics is completed (assembled, painted, but without complete badging)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think the first thing I need to do is to dig out the WIP models I'd put away, and dig through my Space Marine boxes to see what I've actually got! ALthough I've not painted any Power Armour in the last year or so, I do seem to have been buying it...

I got here late, love everything about this project. The OG models and the loving care you've taken to modify and paint them to a good standard brings joy to this middle aged gamers heart :wink:

Edited by Master Toddius

Really awesome work, I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through your past efforts and look forward to seeing new units completed. Great colour scheme!

Oh, greetings all! Thanks for all the kind words, especially from those of you looking at this thread for the first time.

The Chapter remains nameless (let's just call them Unicorns for now) and I'm uncommitted on their descent, at this point. I did have some ideas but that was back when I started and I honestly don't remember what they were! They are quite vanilla at the moment...

I had a dig through my cupboard, and found some more stuff. Looks like I have 4 old Land Speeders, which is more than I thought, but maybe not as many bikes as I expected. I also found the metal parts of a Baal predator, and of course many more Marines:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC07680_zpskz3kqssq.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC07681_zps6y5tbg2z.jpg

Hoping to pull together some sort of Veteran and Command squads from among that lot, plus lots of weapon options for existing squads, too.

Somewhere I also have Terminators, but they haven't shown up yet...

Edited by Shadespyre

• 3 weeks later...

Small update...

I found the Termis, hope to make an Assault Squad and "normal" squad (plus Captain and Librarian) from what I've got

Sorted out 5 man Sternguard and Vanguard squads, might be able to expand them a little with some thinking. Wondering if I can make GS copies of the Crux Terminatus to enhance these units.

Have picked out a Company Standard and Company Champion, I think I might just choose "characterful" minis to round out a Command Squad. Going to struggle to make more than one I think.

I've also got the makings of a 10 man Legion of The Dead squad. Though if anyone has any MK VI legionaries to trade for Mk VIIs that would be nice.

I had a look in the tank box, then put it back - too distracting! 

This makes the TO DO List look more like this:

HQ:

Captain

Terminator Captain

Terminator Librarian

Librarian

Chaplain

Techmarine

Command Squad (Apothecary, Company Standard, Company Champion, Marines)

Troops:

3 Tactical Squads

1 Tactical Squads

1 Scout Squad

Elites:

1 Sternguard Squad (using Terminator Honours marines)

1 Vanguard Squad (mostly with Power Axes)(Jump packs)

3 Dreadnoughts

1 Dreadnought

1 Dreadnought

1 Terminator Squad

1 Terminator Assault Squad

1 Legion of the Dead Squad

Fast Attack:

1 Assault Squad

1 Bike Squad

1 Attack BIke Squad

1 Landspeeder Squadron

Heavy Support:

1 Devastator Squad

2 Predator Destructors

1 Predator Annihilator

1 Whirlwind

1 Vindicator

1 Land Raider

etc

Transport:

2 Rhinos

2 Rhinos

etc

Got a little fed up with trying to sort Marines into units, so I just picked out a bunch I think I'll definitely use and started basing them. 20 at a time is definitely plenty - it gets boring trying to combine the same basing elements in different combinations. Some of these ended up rather elaborate...

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Shadespyre/WARHAMMER/Space%20Marines/DSC07726_zpstsicbclr.jpg

Bear in mind that exposed areas of base will eventually be covered in the black ash scatter, which will also make some of the structures look a little more stable.

Also, there are a few conversions / repairs in there, so some models may look unfamiliar to even the experienced eye...