The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

I got too excited to wait! Your assurances were enough that I got busy experimenting and it seemed to work well enough.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/ABEA30C4-15E4-4717-A53B-58B25CF4DD5C_zpspwlfworp.jpg

Magnets, magnets everywhere!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/E6688DCB-EC4E-4238-85C2-A74920A867B7_zpslngtydfm.jpg

Also; Lazorback? I may get cheeky and use this sometimes when not flying the Raven ;)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/22563591-4BF7-4ADA-BE48-75F4BE9660C4_zpsrcaz4epo.jpg

Edited by Marshall Mattias

No worries, I looked at the pictures in your thread and just tried to extrapolate :P it's hard to synchronise time-zones.

It's also convenient that the gear is such a tight fit, the magnets in the hull seem almost unnecessary, but they will help if it ever loosens up. I really only want the option to have it 'landed' for parade boards or whatever. I prefer the retracted look aesthetically.

So, I'm still waiting on the larger sized magnets that will comfortably hold the wing/engine sections to the hull, but I've finished magnetising the landing gear and weapons, as well as beginning to get some leadbelcher base coated and brass dry-brushed. The more I'm putting this kit together, the more I like it.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/100495D6-0EA5-4DE1-93D1-7F0A74E3687F_zpswygmfksr.jpg

I was vainly hoping I might have it done in time for armies on parade at my local store, but I think that is unlikely now. As it stands, I will take from left to right:

UNITS DEPLOYED BY THE RENASCIBILITAS CRUSADE AS THE 'CONVENT GUARDIANS'

Sword Brethren Marksmen led by Castellan Andrey Marakov, mounted in Land Raider Redeemer 'Alacritas.'

Reclusiarch Mortshtekk, with his Reclusiam retinue.

Honoured Brother Ludovic, Ironclad Dreadnought.

Vindicator 'Vult.'

Acting-Crusade Marshal Guillame Robért, in the finest artificer 'Helbrecht' pattern armour.

Marshal +REDACTED+, wielding the Teeth of Terra and Dorn's Wrath.

Marshal +REDACTED+, bearer of the Siege-Shield of Dorn.

++UNKOWN ERROR - CODE CYPHER++

Land Raider Crusader 'Consecrare.'

Mixed-weaponry Crusader Squad, with 4 initiates bearing Missile Launcher, Melta Gun, Bolter and Pistol+Chainsword, 2 neophytes bearing shotguns and their master's Power Sword.

Unit led by Sword Brother +REDACTED+ and Honoured Brother Armand du Lancel, First Blade of the Renascibilitas Crusade and Champion of the Emperor.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/E9E3FAF3-4735-47E0-9551-ED01C7B3925A_zpspjvjpsgd.jpg

That's a nice collection of Templars, brother. May they serve as an example for all others!

You also said that you're growing to like the Raven as you put it together. I had the same with my Stormtalons: models I despised when I first saw them became after assembly one of the coolest little things in the universe.

The 'Convent Guardians' of The Renascibilitas Crusade march against the forces of Chaos at Covent Garden Parade Day:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/A5446215-97C9-46BB-B363-03233AACEFAE_zpsfsa3tjbd.jpg

But wait! What is that strange objective the Templars are controlling?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/91C72EAF-E817-479F-93C7-9AE49FEE2D67_zpsklibokcu.jpg

Oh cool, it's the bronze medal! The crusade claims its first trophy!

The Templars were too busy recruiting and expanding their crusade to devote much time to shining their armour and tidying up the chapter keep, so they weren't at such an advantage here

;)

(Translation: I'm too busy trying to paint/construct/repaint multiple units to spend time building a board etc).

(Honest translation: I lack the skills to construct a beautiful scenery board, or to achieve the levels of paint-job that others in my local area can pull off. I entered on a whim with the random selection of stuff I had painted over the last year and was lucky enough to place).

Couple of shots of the winning board:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D03C441E-629A-434D-8D3C-01B00AA253C6_zpsx5w1sd53.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/FD918CFC-7B9A-451E-970B-E45909DF0383_zpssapt8qoq.jpg

I was going to enter in our local AoP... unfortunately real life stopped me :(

Congratulations on your bronze brother...

We should have a contest of this next year... Join all local Armies on Parade with your Templar army, showcase your BT army on a 2x2 board and see how many medals we could accumulate.

FP, Honda, Trig and Eberious has some really well painted BTs, I'm sure if all BT members entered their local Armies on Parade there'll be gold all over :D

A little more time, a little more progress!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/ED2157D6-FF91-4516-BFF6-0920AF955F2D_zpsu3jo1woc.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/6CC7F4A7-9524-492D-9792-EF00B213928A_zpsjtndytuz.jpg

Painted Woodhouse and his cockpit, finished off the metals and drybrushed some highlights on the black. Added heat-discolour to gun barrels and engine rear. Next I'll either start adding the colour to crosses/decorations or perhaps look to add some white panelling somewhere. I'm thinking perhaps the wing/tail flaps only.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/7026303E-FCAC-4CF0-9849-BF9F11B93947_zpsmapcfsak.jpg

The general look is almost there - still plenty of work to do on the bling and details - but I'm pleased with the effect. There's a few places left where I will add some purity seals/decals at some point down the line. Once I do a forgeworld order basically :P

Good job, keep the momentum and you'll have a big, cool model finished in no time. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Maltese cross in the white square on top of the aquila below the windscreen. I haven't noticed it before, but now, as it is painted, there's something off about it, in my opinion. Sorry for that.

Maybe shave off the rest of the wings... add two small shields at each side instead... idk... just an opinion...

Seconding this suggestion; one shield can be painted with your crusade's heraldry, and the second the heraldry of the stormraven/pilot? The raven is a venerated piece of equipment, flying one would be a sign of distinguished honor in a chapter for sure.

Yeah, I'll have to see if I can find some bits somewhere. I ran out of empire shields before. I already know I want to get the brass and decals from FW at some point, so I am already planning on updating a few bits later on. :)

In other news: GAMETIME!

The forces of chaos threaten a nearby world and the Templars mobilise a rapid response. Acting Crusade Marshal Robért intends to lead his Crusaders himself, and has instructed his personal household guard to the field in their partially restored Stormraven. This unit of the finest warriors of the Renascibilitas Sword Brethren will be lead by none other than the legendary Antón du Lancel, Champion of the Emperor. Honoured Brother Ludovic has requested his usual position as vanguard to the assault and will be deployed via drop-pod insertion to lay waste to the enemy. The venerable 'Consecrare' will bear the Marshal and his troops to the front, and a second team will arrive via drop-pod if the situation demands their action.

The very ground will tremble at our approach, the dust shall rise and the skies wail as we make out presence known. The heretics and traitors shall fear us and flee to the darkness from which they came; but they will find no solace there for we are a blinding light that penetrates to the heart of the galaxy and burns away the rot. We will bar their way and bring His judgement down upon those who would stray from the Truth. We bring fire and glory and death and redemption. We will have no pity, no remorse and no fear. We will destroy their witches, and cleanse their filth. We will uphold the honour of the Emperor of Mankind and we will accept all challenges in his name.

For Dorn, for Sigismund!

Imperator Vult!

ANTI-CLIMAX!

The game was... Meh. My opponent is very nice but very chatty :/ So an hour in and I was still trying to get him to finish his deployment, then the rest of the match was super slow and we ended partway through turn 4. Now then, it was a solid win for the Templars, but frankly I got very lucky on the Tactical objective cards. Any who:

Maelstrom Mission 4, where both player's 'secure objective X' cards are available to either player to complete.

Enemy had a warlord with murder sword which he named for my Marshal, in a unit of berserkers in a landraider. He also had a large squad of black legion marines on one flank, with a unit of thousand sons and a pair of witches on the other. The centre consisted of a vindicator supported by 5 raptors and a mob of cultists in a ruin.

My deployment was my Helbrecht Marshal in with a tooled up LRC squad 8/4 split with all the gear. The LRC was placed fairly central behind some cover and between three different objectives for maximum coverage.

Turn 1 LRC claims objective for 2 VP. Machine Spirit fires on enemy Vindicator, penetrates but he makes his cover save. Snap-fire kills a couple of cultists. Ironclad drops in next to woodland and disembarks to grab another objective, stealing it from under the nose of the witches. Fires on the squad, kills two.

Enemy 1: Vindicator moves out of cover to fire at Ironclad, scatters wildly. Landraider moves up, fires at ironclad at maximum lascannon range, fails to scratch him. Witch summons a weak blast-power, scatters wildly :D No further shooting.

Templar 2: No Raven arrives, no crusader drop pod either :/

LRC rolls over to another unclaimed objective and earns a couple more points. Fires multi Melta at long range at Vindi side armour, doesn't damage it. Snapfires assault cannon, scores a glance and a penetrating hit! Crew stunned result thanks to extra armour. Ironclad burns 3 more thousand sons, charges into assault. Whiffs all close combat attacks, so does the big witch with their return Melta-bomb attach.

Enemy 2:

Vindicator retreats into cover. Landraider rolls up towards the centre and fires at the LRC, no damage. Aiming to claim an objective next turn. Black legion move into a building to hold an objective in anticipation of it becoming a tac-obj. Scores a point from Cultist objective. Raptors move towards them in support.

Combat sees the ironclad suffer an immobilised result but kills 2 more of the elites.

Templar 3:

Still no raven :'(

Crusaders pod in and steal the objective from the enemy warlord/raider in an attempt to slow his unit down until the reinforcements arrive. Melta takes a hull point from the vehicle, the pod secures the objective. LRC ignores enemy 'raider and pushes accross centre table. Machine spirit takes care of the vindicator for first blood, all the snap-firing fails to trouble the raptors. Ironclad kills one more traitor before falling to the meltabomb, leaving only the sorcerer and a mook left alive, who consolidate towards the nearest objective.

Enemy 3:

Black legion unit moves a little to get line of sight on pod-crusaders. Warlord and berserkers disembark ready to charge. Raptors hide behind the cultists in the ruins (cowards!) while the sorcerer and his last accomplice run to hide in the woodlands without even attempting to cast a power.

Black legion shooting kills 3 crusaders... I fail all 3 armour saves :(

Enemy charges, and Sword Brother accepts the Warlord's challenge knowing he probably won't get to swing. The enemy unit has hatred, furious charge and rage...seriously. Warlord scores two wounds against SB which is 1 more than he needed. The berserkers and crusaders exchange blows, the last crusaders fall and take a couple of the enemy with them. They did not die in vain however, holding the unit for a turn and denying them a VP for the objective, claiming it for the Templars instead.

Templar 4:

Raven arrives at last, and flies in behind a tall building with a good line on the now-empty LR, putting another hull point on it (disappointing for MM/LC/2xMissiles). Positioned ready to drop to hover and launch assault next turn against enemy warlord.

Marshal disembarks ready to multi-charge cultists and raptors. LRC and squad shooting fells a good number.

And that's where we had to end it! Very disappointing. Next turn, the only threat to my raven would be snap-shots from the enemy raider, as the building blocked LOS to the legion troops. The enemy warlord was ripe for the charge - the raider was a sitting duck and he had nowhere to hide. The champ with the banner was ready to take the chaos lord down - the murder sword is only a standard power weapon against any other target than the one it is sworn to, and I was getting 5 attacks on the charge with re-rolls, ap2 initiative. Shame it didn't get to play out - I think the honour guard would have messed up those berserkers even if they lost one or two should the axe-wielding aspirant survive.

The large crusader squad should have been ideal to chop their way through the cultists while the power-weapon wielders focused on the small raptor squad. Then the raven finishes off the LR and all that's left is to mop up the traitor legion squad and the fleeing witch. In theory ;)

Thoughts: Reserve rolls are super annoying when they don't go your way. Also the raven didn't wow me as a gunship either. Storm strikes are pretty poor and other than that it kind of lacks volume of fire more than anything. Perhaps a landraider is an unfair target on which to judge its performance though :P

Final result: Templars 7, Chaos 4

Incoming Heresey: Just heard there is a Dark Vengeance 'expansion' which appears to be a bundle deal of 5 DW Knights, 3 bling-bikers and a dark talon... Can't help but wonder if they could be requisitioned to produce awesome TH termies, Chaplain biker/Command Squad, and perhaps even a storm-talon? I don't know the heretic model so well but it looks more jet-fighter than the talon and as long as it has I fit the right weapon loadouts...

Making wrong right isn't heresy, as far as I'm concerned.

I also have first hand knowledge of your 'problem'. I decided to let it go. DA stuff is cool, but it's DA. And in my opinion the effort you have to put in removing their iconography from Knights and bikes is not worth the money you have to pay for the models. Also, you'll be stuck with a ton of strange, DA bits. If the price reduction would be significant, then it would be worth looking into. Otherwise, I'd pass. And that's also my suggestion.

Yet, it can't be denied that all these kits have amazing conversion potential and could make great templars. But that's a time- and effort-heavy task.

And their flyer would make a great, great Stormtalon. Just swap/adjust the weapons. But, again, my down-to-earth thinking ruins all the potential, as their flyer is expensive money-wise. But maybe money isn't an issue, as you said it's a bundle, and bundles tend to be cheaper.