The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

Marakov's Marksmen deploy from their (half-painted) drop-pod to embark on another vital covert op:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/B7ACFF7B-92F6-4F44-ABFA-722AC80C2E7C_zpstkgywo6l.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/6FFA75C6-B5A3-4153-8498-FA20E9EA5511_zpsa6bvtynm.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/7AB6D600-F7A0-42D4-90DC-9DE9F15761A7_zpsgywfpg5u.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/9294A1FD-5776-4F31-A2E8-6E3FD7460A4E_zps3sxbaeay.jpg

I'm sure I can find time to touch them up a bit later on, redo the eye lenses and neaten the highlights etc. but for now, they are finished enough to continue bringing the pain to the enemies of mankind. Imperator Vult!

They earned it! I was popping so many D/Eldar with single shots at 30". My guys were out-sniping the enemy snipers, so I felt they were definitely the best shots of my crusade brethren. Plus, they're all packing custom boltguns, Designated Marksman Rifles, basically. ;)

I like your "Marksman", but we definitly don't have the same definition of the word "Marksman" Brother. XD

Their guns have scopes don't they? :thumbsup: 

They look awesome, Brother! Even if I personally don't like the MM's pose.... It works for pistols, but a MM? :eek:

But apart from that tiny bit, they look awesome, and it's really making me consider getting those Sternguard!

I like your "Marksman", but we definitly don't have the same definition of the word "Marksman" Brother. XD

They look awesome, Brother! Even if I personally don't like the MM's pose.... It works for pistols, but a MM? :eek:

But apart from that tiny bit, they look awesome, and it's really making me consider getting those Sternguard!

Hu it was my definition that was wrong. I thought that Marksman was similar to Sniper. But it's just skilled shooter.

(+ if he had posted some LaserCannon I would understand xD)

+ Yeah shooting at 30" is awesome <3

That wrist is magnetised so that he can wield something a little more sensible one-handed, once he is my regular sword brother again ;)

The idea was to make some effort to model-in the special rules for each character, so FNP is the most grizzled looking guy I could find and preferred enemy is a scoped plasma-gun, both of which fit with my intention to run them as sternguard-swordbrethren. But, the heavy weapon choice for my kill team is not a choice i would use with them regularly, so relentless is a stripped-down MM being swung around like a nerf-gun, which can be swapped out later for something else.

EDIT: Also, it's worked out so far for him; over-watch-melting is pretty hilarious when it happens to something which would have turned you into paste instead, had it made its charge!

Edited by Marshall Mattias

Sounds like Templar MM's are awesome. Bothm my LRC MM's haven't let me down in the last 2-3 games!

A MM is to a Templar as the searing intensity of the Emperor's fury to the physical embodiment of the Emperors Will. They go hand in hand.

Also, I've been reading Helsreach and I can't believe I waited so long! I need to get Grimmy and start putting little templar crosses atop every imperial Aquila. Lots of work :/

Got a game in 16hrs, taking the fight to some heretic psyker-loving Blood Ravens. 1500 pts and my list as it stands is 10 pts short. It is pretty Templar, lots of crusaders, CC weapons, pods and vehicular firepower.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289642-1500pts-bt-versus-marinesinquisition/

Any thoughts?

Assault launchers added to ironclad :) just a little 'come at me bro!' To go with the double heavy flamers. ;)

The crusade force going to face the Blood Raven Heretics:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/2C1388F9-98F2-4CB3-BCA6-B6A489A09199_zpsjn5ytcwu.jpg

A concept for the crusade badge:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/crusadebadgetest_zps015a4a9f.png

Symbolising the rebirth and regeneration of the crusade, the phoenix badge was adopted temporarily upon the establishment of the first Chapter Keep after the Lost Crusade returned from the warp. Rebuilding their strength, the crusade brings the purifying flames of the emperor to their enemies on lightning wings, rapid engagements to cripple the enemy as fast as possible and defend their fledgling Keeps. This style of warfare and the beneficial morale boost from a new rallying symbol has led these Templars to keep the phoenix badge as they await the orders from the High Marshal that will send them on the Eternal Crusade once more.

Nice! If I may nitpick, I would suggest a less curvy, more Aquila-y Phoenix. This one looks a bit eldar like.

That being said, I really like the design and how it ties in with your crusade. Well done!

Yeah, that's a fair point. But how Aquila-y can it go before it's just an Aquila? Hmmm. Not sure if I can make this work well or not. I pretty much struggle to draw a straight line with a ruler, this whole drawing thing is not my forte. Edited by Marshall Mattias

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely get busy tomorrow and get it looking more imperium grimdark. Then it's off to the Eternal Crusader thread :wink:

EDIT:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/crusadebadgetest2_zpsbf427764.png

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/crusadebadge2_zps4d95bf0f.png

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/crusadebadgetest_zps015a4a9f.png

sonething like a combination of these? the cross, red and white and blockier pheonix?

"Castellan, we have spotted a Brother-Astartes vessel deploying units near the site of an old Keep, no longer in use."

"And what lesser chapter dares to scavenge like dogs amongst our spoils?"

"The communications to the surface indicate a Blood Raven vessel, but they have Inquisitorial priority tags."

"The Blood Ravens are no brothers of ours, their lust for foul warp-tainted power has twisted their minds. And no Inquisitor has the right to meddle in our affairs. Open a channel and instruct them to withdraw at once. They will not be warned, we will begin opening fire immediately."

"They aren't responding - wait... They say they lay claim to a relic within the ruins and we should back down. They claim to be working with Inquisitor Hayley?"

"That wretch was declared Excommunicate Traitoris by Helbrecht himself. Open fire, and prepare my transport. We will purge this rogue filth from the world below and Templar boots will defend our ground once again."

"Aye, my liege. May I make a request?"

"What would you ask of me, Brother?"

"Can I bring the Redeemer?

+++

The crew of the Land Raider listened to the machine spirit growl impatiently as the engine idled atop the outcrop. The information pouring across the onboard computer reflected in a green tint on the worn golden-bronze of the Castellan's helm.

The Blood Ravens were led by a witch, whose foul powers were aided by the tainted weaponry he carried, a blade of warp-fire and a heavy, dark storm-shield that seemed to draw in the light around it. While they were powerful indeed, their presence in the hands of a despicable traitor was evidence enough of their dark origins.

Castellan Robért looked away from the readouts, turning to the Crusaders behind him as they whispered their Litanies. "That one is mine, brothers." He looked at the enemies' own Redeemer-pattern in the distance and recognised the heraldry of the Inquisition, activating a vox-link to the rest of his brethren. "Honoured Brother Ludovic, bring me the heretic Hayley's head and burn his accomplices."

The engine surged into life and its sounds mingled with the rumblings of the Rhino and the Vindicator to his left, as well as the keening of the Typhoon Speeder on the right flank, and the growing chanting of his brothers at his back. The distant roar of drop-pods was the crescendo Guillame Robért was waiting for. Beneath his helm, the Castellan smiled and enjoyed the music of the Eternal Crusade.

++++++++++++++++++++

This was a fun game and very fluffy. My opponent enjoys my zealous hatred for witches and his preference for Blood Ravens means that our armies make for excellent rivals. We decided their most likely cause to clash would be the 'Ravens trying to pilfer a powerful artifact that had at least once belonged to the Templars. He decided to run a relic-tooled-up-super-librarian as his HQ attached to a footslogging tac squad in cover. He allied a rogue twin-demon blade tooled up Xenos inquisitor who rolled with what can only be described as a Mob of Death-cult assassins in a LRR. Add 3 more kitted out tac squads with heavy weapons/power weapons vet sarges/Melta bombs etc, supported by two storm talons with las cannons.

I rolled with the list I planned out before: TH/SE captain, 2x crusader squads tooled for CC with neophytes too, 1 small tac, rhino, vindi, redeemer, typhoon, small sternguard with Melta/combi and twin HF iron clad and 3x drop pods.

My sword brethren and ironclad dropped precisely into his back line, hopping out to shoot at the rear of the LR and to burn a tac squad. The Melta hit, penned and... Rolled a 1. Nice. Also, I forgot I had paid for a combi-Melta as well, and never shot it :( This meant I had to get creative, so my Typhoon had lined up a shot and stripped more hull points with Krak missiles from the side, while the vindi had pushed forward and lined up its own shot which caught 2 tac marines as well as the LR side armour. The redeemer fired its assault cannons looking for the rend and... Got it! First Blood. Battered on all sides, the LR was wrecked and its angry contents clambered out to the rear, eyeing up the sword brethren from the drop pod.

Meanwhile, the iron clad had burned up several marines from the centre tac squad, including the heavy weapon and sergeant (he had placed them to the rear to protect from shooting from my end). The alternate tac squad charged in, suffering overwatch casualties and swinging a Melta bomb, but to no avail. Two more blood ravens fall to the fists of the iron clad. The death cult charge the sword brethren, suffering only 1 death from overwatch. The squad elder challenges the inquisitor, and holds him to a draw for one round, while his brothers fall around him. Other than that, my opponent has little to shoot with or at. The flame-depleted tac squad try to throw a krak at a pod, and miss. They charge the pod with kraks, and fail. ;)

My turn two, no remaining crusader pod coming in. The redeemer rolls up past the relic, burning a couple of tacs from the librarians squad out of cover. The vindi misses. The typhoon depleted the tac on the right further with missiles and bolter rounds. My plasma toting squad in the rhino push up the left and fire on the librarian's squad again, failing to kill. The combats take place, and the dread kills another couple of marines. The Melta bomb hits but only takes a hull point. The brother in the challenge falls, and the death cult consolidates towards their wrecked transport. His turn 2, and his talons fail to turn up! He charges the librarian and the tac squad independently at my raider, giving him two chances with Melta bombs. One misses, the other doesn't even glance... The inquisitors cult moves behind the wreck to escape LoS from my right flank. They are then horrified to discover that my ironclad killed the three remaining enemies in his combat, consolidation towards them. His other marines try to find cover and take out the pod nearby, missing again.

My turn 3, and the drop pod comes in to the middle of the field, right near my raider and the librarian and his squad. The raider rolls back a few inches to ready its guns. My vindi moves up, and so does the rhino in support. The ironclad gets up close n flamey with the deathcult. The infernos waste the remaining marines but fail to wound the Libby through his shield eternal. The combined fire of the entire drop-pod unit fails to put a wound on him either. (Forgot to use my warlord trait for shooting re-rolls this turn. D'oh). The flamers take several deathcult, and the vindi takes them all but 1, while the inquisitor looks-out and escapes unharmed. More pot-shots from typhoons and vehicles/fire points have whittled his squads down to 1 marine each, both of which are falling back. My Castellan hurtles forth from his transport to challenge the Libby. They exchange blows and the Libby is wounded but Eternal. (Forgot to re-roll on a failed wound for having a cheering crowd of crusaders. Also not sure if the second squad could 'charge' when the only enemy left was engaged in a challenge already, so they stayed put). His turn three, and I remind him to roll for air support, but at this stage there is barely anything that isn't hanging out in his 18inch zone and he fails the rolls anyway. Both agreed there was nothing they could do to change the game at this point regardless.

The inquisitor and last assassin, run from the ironclad to charge the freshly drop podded unit. He loses the last assassin to overwatch. He challenges the sword brother, whose honour forces him to accept. They duke it out but inexplicably my chap survives the onslaught and puts a wound on the inquisitor.

The duel of HQs continues and I wound him again, taking one in return.

My turn 4, and those not engaged in combats execute the two remaining marines. The sword brother rends the armour of the inquisitor who fails his save. The Castellan finally smashes the witch to the ground, killing the last enemy on the table.

Game over!

In true templar fashion, I entirely ignored the relic in order to get in and smash some face. The iron clad was incredible, the vindi did well and my veterans demonstrated their skills in combat. My only loss was the sternguard unit - everything hit so hard and fast that it kept him on the back foot the entire game. Of course, would it work again? Probably not, of expect him to find some way of bringing the talons in on time, or protecting from the alpha-pods. But, the vindi/redeemer combo was fun. Maybe the next list will have both plus the Crusader in there too :)

Well fought Brother. A good showing. The Renegades were scattered and the Witches killed. A fine day to be a Templar! :thumbsup:

Great batrep, looking forward to more.

DId I read that bit correctly and did a Sword Brother slay the Inquisitor?

I really should start looking into the Ironclad all you guys make it seem so awesome, maybe something to try out next game? :thumbsup:

On your Crusade Badge: I'd go for your first one you made. Sure the Aquilas are flatter, but pointy fits for the BT's. Look at our cross.

And to be honest, the second attempt on the phoenix looked like it had it's wings clipped to prevent flight....:unsure.:

Crusade on, Brother! :biggrin.: