The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

Some short answers:

1. Yes, take Typhoons. I'd take two.

2. What  to put in the other pods. When it comes to drop pods, I come from the "full Monty" school of thought. Why bring a sledgehammer and then just tap his toes. I would put things in there that are going to support your Iron clad and Sternguard (if you take them). Also keep in mind, that a crusader squad who shows up close and personal, is going to be able to double tap and flamers are nice and cheap. Against IG in cover...well, he's not going to like that much.

3. You are correct in that you should take some melta. He's guard, he'll bring tanks. It's what they do.

4. Are you going to bring a Storm Raven/Talon? What would you do if he shows up with Valkyries/Vendettas? If you're not sure, take a 5 man dev squad and give it the flakk missile upgrade and then I think you can do double duty with the frag missiles. Someone should probably weigh in on that as I don't have my codex handy.

5. Yes on deep striking termies, especially with locator beacon pods. Two pods upgraded should be enough.

6. What will you do if he takes Coteaz as an ally and does the "no-no, don't dare drop here" bubble of doom?

7. This may make you laugh, but you might just think about Whirlwinds. They can ignore cover...and they are cheap.

Most importantly, keep in mind that a drop pod has tremendous opportunities associated with it, but also significant risks. It's not for the faint of heart. That being said, I love playing DP lists. They are huge fun.

Absolutely. So. Much. Fun! Bat-rep to follow.

Although, bit miffed that he turned up with ultra marines instead of guard... If I had a random second army, I could make a similar whimsical choice... Anyway, batrep incoming and pictures too!

Edited by Marshall Mattias

This may make you laugh, but you might just think about Whirlwinds. They can ignore cover...and they are cheap.

Though I highly recommend this generally...

It does not mesh well with a drop pod/deep strike style army. Vindicators, thunderfire, and whirlwind weapon systems work best when there is none of your own guys to hit. When you are suddenly scattering on top of your own deep striking forces, you're going to have a bad time. (This coming from a guy who wiped out 75% of a crusader squad with his own vindicator)

Now drop something that can't be hurt by a whirlwind or thunderfire (delicious ironclads!), and have yourself a field day. :smile.:

Edited by greggles

This may make you laugh, but you might just think about Whirlwinds. They can ignore cover...and they are cheap.

Though I highly recommend this generally...

It does not mesh well with a drop pod/deep strike style army. Vindicators, thunderfire, and whirlwind weapon systems work best when there is none of your own guys to hit. When you are suddenly scattering on top of your own deep striking forces, you're going to have a bad time. (This coming from a guy who wiped out 75% of a crusader squad with his own vindicator)

Now drop something that can't be hurt by a whirlwind or thunderfire (delicious ironclads!), and have yourself a field day. :smile.:

Have el dread pull them towards him (they're bound to try and tarpit it) then nuke the spot where he stood from orbit with whirlwinds and thunderfire cannons, works beautifully.

Also, I don't know why this is so much overlooked, but Land Speeder Tornadoes with Flamers and MM. Deep Strike them with your wave 2/3/4 of Drop Pods, and BBQ those guys hiding in cover. There still a living tank in the enemies line? BBQ that tank with your MM. In a Drop Pod army these guys come as standard for me, cheap too with being 5 pts. less than a typhoon. Never underestimate a 5-man Assault Squad as well, I pack these with 2 Flamers and fry anything with low armor in the table

I just envisioned an Ironclad emerging from a Whirlwind induced fireball, heavy flamers prepared to fire. It was beautiful.

If you liked that Honda, I have a new BatRep for your entertainment. I was on a long train from Edinburgh to London and decided to get creative.

It should all kind if make sense, but if anyone wants clarification on anything, I will be happy to explain. Also, I typed it all on a phone on a rickety east-coast train so any typos are at your mercy.

+++Transmission Detected+++

----------------------------------

+++Decrypting+++

+++Completed+++

•••

•••

+++Security Level: Prohibited Information+++

•••

•••

+++UPHOLD THE HONOUR OF THE EMPEROR+++

•••

•••

+++Report as follows from the information provided by the purge team recently lead by Castellan Gulliame Robért+++

Intel passed from Inquisitor Reynolf implicated Planetary Govenors#REDACTED# and #REDACTED# in a corruption scandal of deadly proportions. Suspicions of Xenos or Heretic influence were heightened after clashes with Eldar and Traitor Legions in the sector. Intel indicated a gathering of PDF forces and unusual concentrations of troops in the capital. As evidence mounted pointing towards a planned coup and betrayal of the emperors mercy, Inquisitor Reynolf requested aid from the household of Crusade Renascibilitas.

•••

The request was granted.

•••

+++Recording taken from the personal data of Castellan Robért+++

{Honoured Brother Ludovic} "So we are in agreement?"

{Castellan Robért} "I believe so. I cede to your experience in these matters, brother."

{HBL} "You humble me. But respectfully, yes, I believe this approach will once again serve us well. Rapid deployment to secure the Ministorum buildings to the west and the south, with a strong presence in the wilds to the east, will allow us to march into the centre of the city in relative ease, purging those foolish enough to have strayed from the emperors light and into the darkness. "

{CR} "And you believe this best achieved through orbital drops?"

{HBL} "Yes, brother. Surprise is our ally in this endeavour. In this way, none will have time to flee His merciful fire. Also, it will preserve much of the city, allowing us ample resources for establishing a Keep to maintain ongoing control of the situation."

{CR} "Exemplary. I do not wish to have to return to this wretched place to put down another rabble. You have convinced me brother. Techmarine Gregor will be disappointed, he does so love to fire up the land raiders."

{HBL} "I will ask him for permission to test his repaired seismic device, I suspect he will be suitably abated."

{CR} "Ask him to get me a report on our Promethium stocks? I have a feeling we may need them replenished shortly."

+++Recording ends+++

•••

+++ship's log+++

>City mapping located.

>...Updated...

>Co-ordinates confirmed.

>

>Bay doors open.

>

>Deployment begins.

>

>Castellan Robért and command unit are away.

>Apothecary Julius reports satisfactory conditions.

>Pod scans indicate no negative atmospheric effects to all squad's Melta weaponry.

>

>Honoured Brother Ludovic is away.

>Extra fuel pods secure.

>

>Sword Brother Antón selected to lead members of household in close fire support role.

>Ten life signs registering normal.

>Melta and Flamer weaponry normal.

>All combi-weaponry active.

>Short range combat-squad communications live.

>

>Scans show pods on target to the west.

>Command pod landed successfully in Ministorum interior.

>Acceptable variance on second pod.

>Sword Brother Antón reports pod three off-trajectory.

>

>•••locating•••

>Unacceptable divergence.

>Location hazardous.

>Exposed to fire corridors on all flanks.

>Urgent redeployment advised.

>

>Assault squad Emperor's Light aboard and ready for deployment to east.

>Awaiting signal.

>

>Crusader Squad Emperor's Wrath are prepping for boarding.

>Expect resistance in central deployment. Prepare for intense hand to hand combat.

>Sword Brother Engel wishes to add to the record: (++Recording from the hangar bay consists of indecipherable cheers and shouts of praise to the emperor++)

>

>

>Advance units report.

>Crusader Squad Emperor's Gaze advise Razorback deployed successfully, lascannons charged. >Unobserved on city outskirts. high ground claimed.

>Missile launcher prepped and small initiate presence enough to secure initial objective.

>

>Typhoons all reported in.

>Two wings sent west to support command unit.

>Single wing heading east to prep LZ for pod four.

>

>

>+++Action Complete+++

>

>+++Ending Sub-Routine+++

•••

+++Recording from helmet of Sword Brother Adameus+++

"Castellan, my lord, I see no PDF troops.

"Wait, I have something..."

"They're marines! They bear the mark of Iltramar!"

"No, they have not responded to any hails."

"Their weapons batteries are online! Watch out for that turret!"

##Signal Lost##

•••

+++Extract from the evidence submitted by Bridge Command in orbit+++

"We received word that the forces in orbital drop deployment came under immediate interceptor fire from ground based las-weaponry. Castellan Robért called in two casualties before the impact dust had settled. Once we had visibility, we confirmed his sighting of Ultramarine forces. They opened fire without warning and refused communication. Castellan Robért declared them immediately Excommunicatus Traitorus and gave the order to engage.

The remaining command unit were immediately confronted with a landraider, and proceeded to cause catastrophic damage with their Melta weaponry. The detonation was visible from the bridge.

The resulting debris made the confirmation of the, erm, contents of the raider difficult."

"Yes, we received a report from the ground unit. They advised they had inflicted heavy casualties, with support fire from aerial units, on a veteran honour unit, accompanying what appeared to be a'senior member of the librarius and a hulking commander of immense proportion.'"

"No, I could not confirm their identities from our position."

"The remainder of the enemy unit engaged the Castellan and his brethren, where unfortunately they fell to a man, save the Castellan who nobly engaged the enemy champion in a protracted duel."

"Honoured Brother Ludovic had hit the unit with great quantities of burning promethium, and his visual recordings are inadequate for analysis. He did report engaging the enemy commander before his communications went silent. Their confrontation was similarly long, but Ludovic ultimately fell. He has subsequently been recovered, although he is not currently able to provide us further information."

+++Speeder Typhoon designation II, rear of the battle+++

Brother Jeremiah watched in horror as the familiar figure of Honoured Brother Ludovic faltered, dropping to one knee, before being engulfed in an expanding cloud of fire.

In the distance, he could see Castellan Robért through a shattered window, standing bloody above the corpse of the broken champion. He extended his sword arm at the blue power-armoured Witch whose crackling psychic energies still rippled across the lifeless body on the ground.

"Your foul magics have failed your puppet *spit*. Now face me, coward."

The librarian had his back to Jeremiah, who couldn't see if he dared to make reply. All he saw was the filthy witch step backwards from the confrontation, and the remaining honour guard began to close in on Robért. The last glint of golden armour disappeared behind the enemy as Robért roared and charged his foe.

"No! What the hell is happening?"

To his east, saw his venerated senior brothers trapped, exposed to their enemy. Turret fire and numerous tactical marines disembarking from rhinos were taking their toll, and the lack of cover was already a death sentence. All Jeremiah could do was honour them with a conciliatory barrage of fire at the enemy. A rhino detonated spectacularly, and Jeremiah briefly saw Antón throw a clenched fist against his breastplate in his direction. The sword brethren knew they were doomed, but were determined to rain hellfire on their enemies before giving ground.

The weapon battery on their east was swiftly disabled by the Melta team, who then engaged the tacticals to their north. The flamer team opened fire on the second enemy unit, but their weaponry was ill suited to tackling their own distant brothers in arms. As the battle raged, only Antón and one other remained. They looked to the west, and their falling comrades, and charged...

Jeremiah's fury grew, as he hurtled towards his Castellan, dust and smoke rushing around him. He saw the figure of the enemy commander striding towards them, and opened fire. Suddenly, an enormous bolt of heat struck the ground near his speeder, seemingly hurtling from the sky itself. His wingman's speeder spiralled into the ground and was gone, but Jeremiah twisted and rolled with the blast. His warning lights began flashing, and he gritted his teeth as he realised his gunner was slumped, as unresponsive as his steering. He aimed straight for the ground where the growing figure of the enemy commander stood.

"Even in Death..."

•••

+++Bridge Command report continues+++

"The units to the east reported little trouble. One speeder engaged multiple enemy Storms and their scout units. The enemy was quickly routed back towards the cover of the trees. Once the brothers of the Assault squad landed, they made short work of the survivors and quickly moved to intercept the enemy's supply lines and provide their role of cover in the east, securing their objective."

"The support units to the rear were instructed to remain at their posts and hold them to the last man, should it be necessary. Their complaints were acknowledged but overruled."

"Bridge Command suggested cancelling deployment of crusader squad Emperor's Wrath. However, Castellan Robért could not be hailed. Before chain of command was established, the initiates in the hangar bay unanimously decided to active the emergency manual release mechanism and began planetfall."

"Upon landing, they engaged the enemy and secured the main objective."

"No, the enemy re-deployment was swift, and they were engaged over the central objective. Outnumbered and ill-equipped to tackle foes of that nature, they were overwhelmed. Their attempt to stall the enemy was partly successful, but we were still unable to hold the battlefield. It did provide time for our remaining troops on the ground to recover most of their fallen brethren, including Castellan Robért, who remains in critical condition. As well as extracting them safely, they were able to recover important confidential data from their objective."

"I'm afraid I cannot discuss the data. It has immediate safety implications for ongoing operations."

"Yes, the enemy were severely depleted in numbers. 'Crippled' was the word I preferred. Their honour guard were in tatters, and their commander was barely standing, having suffered grievous injuries. Their vehicles were wrecked and they had only a single weapon battery in operation, as well as having suffered devastating losses in the annihilation of their scouts and heavy casualties to both their tactical units."

"The enemies early losses, and our tactical advantages were unfortunately offset in their favour by their control of key objectives, the loss of Castellan Robért and their late push against the odds towards our lines."

"Yes, you may call it the enemies victory, but by the narrowest possible of margins."

"I could not possibly speculate further on the identities of the enemy. You have my full report. Will there be anything else?"

+++Report Ends+++

•••

+++recording: unknown source+++

{****} "And of the inquisitor?"

{####) "Vanished."

{****} "Curse that traitor. He knew. He must have. What the hell was his game?"

{####) "We could not ascertain his motives. Perhaps he is merely insane?"

{****} "No, he knew something. You will find him, understand? Now, as for that other matter..."

{####) "The representatives of Ultramar deny all involvement and refuse further contact."

{****} "Pah, let them hide at the other side of the galaxy. I have set my sights on another prize. Tell me you have tracked that dog Tigurius?"

{####} "Well..."

+++ALERT: SIGNAL DISRUPTED. INCURSION DETECTED+++

+++TRANSMISSION ENDS+++

You should ride the train more often. This was an excellent report. I love narratives.

Best Line: The resulting debris made the confirmation of the, erm, contents of the raider difficult."

I'm looking forward to the next one. :)

A challenge, brothers:

I have a box of sternguard, plus around another 8 assorted legs for standard tac-marines, and a full upgrade sprue. I need to put together the optimum batch of models from this selection, making bet use of components and allowing for maximum usage. Ideally, I want to be able to sensibly run either a 5 or 10 man Sword Brother Sternguard squad, as well as potentially getting extra use out of models as Sword Brothers leading shootier Crusader Squads. Also, I don't currently have any initiates toting heavy Bolters in my crusade, nor do I have anyone with a heavy flamer (and rule of cool says this must be rectified). So, how do I resolve this puzzle?

Make a torso with a heavy bolter from the sternguard box, as well as the heavy flamer.  Order some magnets, and magnetize the bottom of the torso and the legs; now you have the option for either.

In terms of what to arm the rest of the squad with? I have no idea; I don't game- I'm purely a modeller at present, but getting your hands on a bunch of tactical squad combi weapons and magnetizing the options *would* be the most efficient way to go about things IMO.

Only Sternguards could be equipped with Heavy Flamers anyway :p, the most optimal use I know of with a Flamer is to have a 10-man Sterguard squad composed of 4 with combi-Melta and 1 with Meltagun and 1 Heavy Flamer and 4 combi-Flamers, put that in a drop pod and prepare to fry....

Yeah, I was just being zealous and wanting to get building! Perhaps some magnetising and patience are in order... But wow, where do I get magnets small enough to magnetise a combi weapon? They have a trigger-hand already, so connect flat at the wrist. That would seem to be the best place to attach, as then literally only the guns would have to be swapped.

I used the chaplain's idea on my scouts. It lets me easily swap from a sniper role to a heavy bolter on one of them.

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/scout1.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/scout2.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/scout3.jpg

On the newer kit's I've also seen someone use a super tiny magnet on the wrist (no drilling), which goes to a recessed joint inside the arm.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281773-magnetizing-the-new-tactical-squad/

Seeing the method in action, I'm impressed. It's simple and practical. This is probably what I'll do with the heavy weapon options. The recessed magnets idea for wrist connections looks good, if a tad tricky. It definitely avoids the problem of trying to drill into those tiny hands though. My local GW guy suggested mini rod magnets rather than disc - but I'm not sure I can see how that works? I may need to get cracking on this too, as there has just been a tentative announcement of a 200pt kill-team campaign coming up!

I was wary on the wrists as well. For my HQ I did the shoulder/torso magnets for weapon swaps. That's pretty easy because the pauldrons will hide any mistakes you make. The wrists might not be very forgiving.

I found the torso was also quite forgiving, as it gave you quite a lot of room to work with. Just have to make sure things are pretty centered.

Note: If you start magnetizing, you may become addicted to it. It's sooo much easier to paint and transport miniatures that can be taken apart into component parts quickly and easily.

So, some WIP on my Sternguard Sword Brethren - been kit bashing some upgrade sprue and tac kits into making a ten-man squad. Still need to fit the magnets of course, but everything is prepped. Also had a few bits left over to experiment with some dry fitting a Castellan type character with a shield and hammer, will probably magnetise arms to allow for a switch to a sword and dramatic pointing hand for using as a champion.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/0B4D5611-BFF8-483F-AB7C-C05CD266153A_zpsboem8gre.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/51AA5230-108A-4A27-BCCC-32CD2CE673B3_zpsdozswyny.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/3E332A48-7C4B-4637-A03B-317FD628CCC8_zpsvsq5dnud.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/7AED137E-801E-47CC-89AF-548DBB09705C_zpsu1f19sqb.jpg

Battle Report!

Went to play a friendly game with a guy from my local store. Both of us are still new to the 6th rules so we probably blundered out way through a few daft mistakes, but that is just how it goes!

The Templar contingent comprised:

Crusade Marshal with Burning Blade and Shield Eternal, accompanied by 5-man Honour Guard, rolling like a boss in a bare Land Raider Crusader.

2x 5-man Crusader squads, one with plasma gun and both with flak missiles.

1x 5/5 Crusader squad in drop pod.

Armed for CC, with a power sword Initiate and a bare Sword Brother.

1x Dreadnaught with heavy flamer and multi-melta in drop pod.

10x Sword Brethren Marksmen, split into combat squads, with a plasma gun and 3 combi-plas, a heavy flamer and 3 combi-melta, in a drop pod.

The enemy is a Blood Raven player who favours 3 storm talons in games over 1000pts. I have nowhere enough anti-air for tackling them. However, he mostly takes MSU tactical squad gun lines with either a chapter master or librarian, and will sometime ally Xenos in there too. This time he added a mini Dark Eldar warrior squad, plus a fully decked-out Archon with 5 Incubi in a Venom, all packing deadly initiative/weapon skill and AP2 weapons... To really rile my zeal up even more, he has been experimenting with our own chapter tactics! HERESY! BURN THEM ALL!

So strategy-wise, the elites were to drop in first turn and focus fire on a single flank, aiming to get first blood and deny a flank from his heavy weapon-toting squads in cover. At 1500pts, I felt they would demand enough attention from the few squads nearby to keep the fire off my LRC racing up the same flank. The 2 small squads would move up the table and settle into some cover to claim objectives and prepare for the incoming air strike.

HOWEVER...

We rolled bizarrely on the mission and deployment, so were lined up on the short ends of a 6 foot table and no objectives, just kill points. (Started to wish I hadn't brought all those drop pods...)

Knowing this, I would have rather dropped my pods more mid table and moved as one, but I absolutely HAD to cripple his force before all that firepower turned up in the Talons. Unfortunately, my LRC would never make it the full distance through all the terrain to arrive in time to support my elites. Also, my small crusader squads were gonna have to run up the table a looong way if they were going to help at all. This meant that there was a good chance I wouldn't be able to pull off the trick of denying his air support any targets on the turn they arrived by having them all up in his deployment. So, we got cracking anyway.

The heavy terrain would have allowed precision drop-podding, but everything came down on target anyway. The dread and sword brethren poured out and unleashed destruction on the two tac squads and enemy chapter master on the right side. Unfortunately, both squads were only whittled down to 1 remaining troop in each one, and this would come back to haunt me. Disappointing shooting from pod storm-Bolters failed to finish off either squad... The chapter master only took a single wound, and his counter charge into one combat squad was brutal. That Teeth of Terra is immense! The remaining tactical sergeant also managed to Melta-Bomb a drop pod and took first blood (shoulda seen that coming).

Lesson Learned: don't expect too much of the SB marksmen. They decimated the enemy, but I gambled on trying to wipe both squads and it it didn't quite come off. I threw away my first blood and it should have definitely been mine.

The land raider hurtled up the board and at the beginning of my turn two was able to just get a bead on the tac sergeant who bombed the drop pod. In order to prevent him lobbing another melta at the dread, I proceeded to cut him in half with the main cannons. (That guy started as a sniper scout, and each time he pulls off something heroic, the other player likes to model him up as 'promoted' with intention of creating a character who has had an illustrious career. No promotions today :P)

The enemy HQ finished off the plasma-half of the SBs and turned his sights on my dread. He charged heroically...and the dread picked him up in one claw and squeezed. Pop goes the warlord! At the end of the turn, from 3 tactical squads and a chapter master, one sergeant and a solitary marine remained. Yet they then continued to survive against all the odds till the end of the match - much to my frustration. Multi melta shots, veterans in combat, storm Bolters - everything missed, failed to wound or was saved on the improbable numbers of 3+ rolls he made. Meanwhile, all 3 talons arrived at the start of his turn two, immobilising my LRC a little more than halfway up the table. His squads on the left didn't seem to know what to do and pretty much stayed put, missing with las cannons and the like.

The Archon and retinue turbo boosted down the left flank to easily wipe my rear left missile squad who failed to snap-shot anything. The venom peeled off towards the centre and opened fire on the other missile squad, but they shook it off no problem. Bailing out of the death-trap landraider, my command units got straight into some ruins and brought down the venom with nothing more than bolt pistol shots. :) Even among the CC monsters, every marine is a rifleman!

The Archon unit sprinted across the open but poor rolling left them exposed and out of charge distance. My missile squad couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, even once the talons entered hover mode. Infact, nothing managed to hit them all game. My third turn saw my last pod come in, straight into the top left corner of his deployment. The warrior squad just stated running away while the crusaders engaged a 5 man tac-squad at the base of a building. They then spent two full turns stuck in a combat unable to kill a solitary marine. He must have made in the region of 15-20 armour saves... Once they finally beat him down later, they were exposed to withering fire from the talons before being engaged by the last untouched 5 man tac squad. By the end of turn 5, only a couple of neophytes were left, but the squad was not defeated.

LESSON LEARNED: all hail the dice gods and their fickle ways. Running the sergeant bare was another gamble which did NOT pay off, my squad definitely lacked bite and they did not demolish the small tac squads in the way I would have hoped. However, my opponent continued to whiff on his Melta-bomb and Las cannon snaps, and his talon shots, so there were still 2 intact pods at the end of the day. His talons did manage to finish off the landraider, even if only by glancing it to death undramatically.

Having been denied their heroic clash with the heretic marines across the board, my Marshal and Honour Guard leapt from the ruins and made a long charge into the Xenos squad. Knowing full well that the Archon would annihilate my Champion, I wasn't surprised when he cut him down instantly. Still, from his insane number of attacks and hits, only one wounded. But, with husk blades, only one wound was enough. The Chapter master struck out at the Incubi and cut down three, with the honour guard losing one man and taking one more with them. The second round of that combat saw the Marshal challenge the archon Mano-y-Mano while the honour guard had a quick breather. The Marshal deflected a flurry of deadly blows thanks to his relic shield, taking a single wound in the process. He then unleashed his own fury, his blade carving orange gashes across the sky until with a startlingly mighty blow, he cut the head of his enemy clean from its shoulders in one stroke. The Xenos lord blinked once before his head hit the ground ;)

This of course left the unit rather exposed and scrambling for cover behind the wreckage of the venom as they had to suffer a further round of shooting from all the storm talons! A couple of honour guard were allowed to take the wounds until one remained and then it was up to the marshal to bear the brunt of the attacks in order to avoid losing either the squad or the warlord! Thankfully, turn 5 drew to a close and the game ended (it would have gone badly for me had it continued!)

Totalling up the damage and it came out at exactly 8-8, with the Black Templars taking line breaker and slay the warlord but with first blood going to the Blood Ravens. If it had gone the way the statistics would suggest, I should have claimed two more squads for kill points and taken first blood for a 4 point lead. Of course, the two remaining drop pods were lucky to have survived as they did, and another turn of shooting from the talons would likely have cleared them off the table. That, or I would have to have been lucky and taken an incredible number of shots on my Marshal's three remaining wounds and 3++.

As it was, we both had a great game and a draw seemed the fairest result as neither of us acted decisively enough to feel like we deserved the win. I was pleased to have beaten his HQ units in CC, although I think he was equally pleased to stop the LRC from reaching its destination and for his two love troopers for hanging in till the end. I'll probably not bother bringing the flak missiles again, they barely got a chance to fire them and when they did, they still couldn't hit. Also, I'll maybe try and round the pods up to 5 to make sure the alpha strike is a truly crippling blow rather than a huge gambit.

Can't wait for a rematch - perhaps on a shorter table too ;)

The Marshal deflected a flurry of deadly blows thanks to his relic

shield, taking a single wound in the process. He then unleashed his own

fury, his blade carving orange gashes across the sky until with a

startlingly mighty blow, he cut the head of his enemy clean from its

shoulders in one stroke. The Xenos lord blinked once before his head hit

the ground :wink:

Totally epic! You always seem to have one special moment in your games that really sets the tone for the entire report. The above was my fave.

Well done brother, especially against the xenos scum.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Well there may be a few more to come soon:

KILL TEAM style!

200pts of troop/elite/fast. No 2+ and vehicles can't have more than 33AV altogether.

There is a fair bit of power armour in my meta, but I know a few players who will be rocking power-gamery units. A couple of lineups already known include hot-shot storm troopers, howling banshees and henchmen warbands. My question to my honoured brothers is: what would you suggest? I need to be able to pump out the damage against 3+ armour, deal with some possible transports, and not find myself wiped out through sheer weight of shots if some smart-alec decides to bring a horde. Also, there is the question of those special-rule options to assign. Not sure where to start with those!

All help appreciated :)

Bare bone Assault Terminators, come to mind but you only get 5-models and if you're unlucky someone will bring axes, or a Dreadnought...

An Ironclad Dreadnought might do the trick too, or a 5-man Vanguard Squad with Meltabombs and SS, 2 Squads of 5-man Assault Squads with 2 Flamers and 2 Plasma Pistols could work too, especially in jumping all over the place giving your opponents a headache in trying to chase them down.

Bare bone Assault Terminators, come to mind but you only get 5-models and if you're unlucky someone will bring axes, or a Dreadnought...

An Ironclad Dreadnought might do the trick too, or a 5-man Vanguard Squad with Meltabombs and SS, 2 Squads of 5-man Assault Squads with 2 Flamers and 2 Plasma Pistols could work too, especially in jumping all over the place giving your opponents a headache in trying to chase them down.

Can't take Assault Terimies no 2+ saves, no dreadnoughts all of the space marine ones exceed 33 total armor value, and if he is using the new rules then its 0-1 elites, 0-2 troops, 0-1 fast attack. At that many pts of fluff you can bring 5 Vanguard with jump packs and power weapons, or two crusader squads with Sword Brethren and two power weapons to abuse our chapter tactics.....can take super not fluff grav/plasma bikes with either spare scouts or more bikes, a full assault squad with two 15 pts upgrades and a flamer fits in too.

Another option is to use Sternguard Sword Brethren and use the versatility or their special ammo to win the day.  With our tactics at least you can reroll your your run distances and your champ is more deadly if he gets caught in close combat.  Heavy flamers are nice and can deal with a lot of things with the sheer number of wounds and then maybe a couple combi meltas to blow up any vehicles you face.

I'm certainly liking the idea of jump-pack or bike mobility. But, they either pack little punch or they end up costing a lot of precious points.

MSU crusader squads may be a good way to get bodies (and two challenging CC renders) on the table, with a couple of more deadly ranged weapons for support...

But finally - sternguard sword brethren seem like a nifty choice. They lack the speed that could come in useful (although running is not bad), but they can be kitted out to handle every enemy type.

Tau at range? Kraken bolts at 30".

Transport? Combi Melta.

Bikes/high toughness? Poison 2+.

Hiding guardsmen? Dragonfire bolts ignore cover.

I fear the small number of models could be a factor - the inability to split fire renders them more limited against horde-y types. And if those howling banshees turn up, I have a bad feeling... Then again, I'm not sure what could survive them anyway! I'm going to play with some numbers I think.