The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

The shield and sword are a plasticard base, with greenstuff slowly built up on top. I can't take credit for them, it wasn't someone else's skills! The fingers of the fists are cut and repositioned to create a grabbing hand, then the weaponry sits snugly in place. I'm probably going to attach them permanently and get some chains wrapped round them.

I envisage him as a former Emperor's Champion, denied a glorious death in personal combat. Now interred, he hunts his enemies with unrivalled tenacity, verging on obsession, seeking to discover his true purpose and his final foe. The trophies represent the galactic warlords he has faced and slain, ending their heretical kingdoms. Each one is a milestone to him, one more step on his path to fulfilling his Emperor-wrought destiny!

Today's WIP: a repaint of some of my old crusaders and a sword brother. I've got so many half-painted models, I'm cracking on with them as they are non-ETL eligible anyway ;)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/771636E6-FF88-4A2C-AE7F-F6886FE63E22_zps2otv0qem.jpg

These just need final highlights to some colours (metal/gold/black/brown/green), some white flecks in the eyes and some paint on the bases.

Oh, and I need to decide how to paint power weapons - I can't really put that off any longer!

Edited by Marshal Mattias

The shield and sword are a plasticard base, with greenstuff slowly built up on top. I can't take credit for them, it wasn't someone else's skills! The fingers of the fists are cut and repositioned to create a grabbing hand, then the weaponry sits snugly in place. I'm probably going to attach them permanently and get some chains wrapped round them.

I envisage him as a former Emperor's Champion, denied a glorious death in personal combat. Now interred, he hunts his enemies with unrivalled tenacity, verging on obsession, seeking to discover his true purpose and his final foe. The trophies represent the galactic warlords he has faced and slain, ending their heretical kingdoms. Each one is a milestone to him, one more step on his path to fulfilling his Emperor-wrought destiny!

That must have been some tau fire warrior he slayed then!

I haven't decided on the helmet, but I might order that sprue of 6 from Anvil Industries, if I don't happen across a good alternative. I've made one before; used a skull face from a random kit mixed with a SM helmet with the faceplate sliced away, with a little green stuff to replace some details.

As for crozius(es? Crozii?) I made one from an axe handle, two trimmed blood angel badges from the storm raven kit, and a badge from the BT upgrade sprue. Basically glued two BA bits back to back, then cut off the now fully 3d wings and fixed them to the axe shaft. Covered the join with a big Maltese cross and BAM goes the heretic.

Finished off my little 6-man crusader squad today - wow do I paint slowly. Must have been at least 2 solid 'day-off' painting sessions! I have hand-cramps :P

I like the detail on the shoulder pads most. They seem to look great. Also, the white beak on the "beakie" helmet is kind of nice. One question, though - isn't there something wrong with the power sword hand of the 'original' sword brother (i.e. the one on the extreme right?). Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it looks a bit odd.

Finished off my little 6-man crusader squad today - wow do I paint slowly. Must have been at least 2 solid 'day-off' painting sessions! I have hand-cramps :tongue.:

....aaaaand you're still faster than me!

One question, though - isn't there something wrong with the power sword hand of the 'original' sword brother (i.e. the one on the extreme right?). Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it looks a bit odd.

I double checked - it is an unflattering camera angle, which looks better in person. He has his wrist tilted forward to the extreme of what is comfortable, in a 'faintly flamboyant fencing ... thrust.' (I couldn't think of another 'f' word :P)

I tried out the pose myself to be sure - it feels pretty natural in a comic/movie OTT manner. From the angle of the photo, it looks weird because the entire wrist is obscured by the chain, making it seem slightly disconnected.

And for a bonus round - here is my "ZEAL Shelf" where my painted models sit, challenging me to get painting and expand it to the point it requires another shelf ;)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/248A52B6-7257-4882-B924-735DCA1ABCF9_zpsmwdt8lmk.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/783846EF-D204-4D8E-9249-9F34F7E23D2E_zpsew4oeepa.jpg

• 1 month later...

Three, of course!

A little more concept stuff if that's alright - I now have three dreads to combine into my Ironclad Talon, but they're a real mish-mash of bits and borrowed sprues, so I'm trying to create aesthetically pleasing and thematic models.

The FW 'venerable' model is just so cool I felt he deserved the sword/shield combo, which I would generally run as fist/hammer (or remove the shield from his hand and call the sword a chainfist, if needed).

Then the 'charging' dread will be stealing a power fist arm from my old one, and gaining a new chainfist mounted on the siege-hammer arm for better pose/reach. He looks quite aggressive and I feel like the look suited him better.

Then my old ironclad, the beast slayer himself, will probably see the table less often, but when he does he'll run with a siege-hammer and hurricane bolter for now (until I get around to picking up another right arm). As an older 'standard' model, his pose is pretty basic but actually suits the firing stance better, I think.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts from you guys ;)

(Also, obviously there is a lot of blutack which will be gone - although I intend to use some magnets to attach the torso of the FW model to the legs. This is a trick I borrowed from someone clever here aboard the Eternal Crusader, which boosts the height of the dread just enough to make him subtly more threatening, as well as convenient. I'll hide them behind the seals and parchments that come as part of the FW kit).

If you are going to run 3 of them you can afford to drop a couple of attacks and run 2 or maybe even 3 hurricanes along with heavy flamers. No one is going to want charge that (or be charged by it for that matter!)

Sorry for the dread-spam, but here is the next incarnation of my thought process:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/FC8E2123-1913-4D71-A4B3-DA8FFDB6D15C_zpsgfl9lmjm.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/EB1A5937-4511-4021-9F6D-CD3104A95D42_zpsbht8nfpw.jpg

So the sword-bro dread is coming along - he has the height and proportion I want, just need to armour-up his midriff from the back and sides. I gave him some floor tiles to clamber on (they'll probably get painted in a black/white checkerboard pattern).

My angry-charging dread has a right arm chain fist instead, it looks a bit more brutal that way. He left arm was a 'bits box rummage' find and comes from my old regular dread. It's noticeably a smaller fist than the modern version, but is easily disguised with a combat shield and downward position. Also the girlfriend 'tidied up' but didn't realise that it was magnetised to the base... So a tumble later and the controversial trophy racks have now been replaced with thematically more appropriate banner poles! Everything happens for a reason!

Finally:

I'm heading to my flgs tomorrow with a view to grabbing the new book (£16 seems a better price). While I'm there, I'm tempted to grab a few bits, and definitely the new Company Command box. Question is; what else?

One Dev box? Could build a couple of Grav and Melta devs each, run a mini-skyhammer?

Two Dev boxes and really max out my heavy weapons?

A vindicator to round out my squadron to 3?

A Nephilim to convert up my second stormtalon for raptor/stormwings?

A vanguard box for that nifty Kauyon formation whose name I forget?

I cannot decide!

These look awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how will you model assault launchers? Do you need to? I'd also like to Templarfy the front panels as much as possible but was unsure whether the model needed to represent the launchers somehow.

I have the panels, and will probably do what I did for my last kitbash - careful slice them up into individual frag launchers or pairs of them, and place them on the forward edges of the shoulderpads. That way they are wysiwyg. With the ETL coming up, I want frags, hunter-killers, you name it ;)

Actually I'm hoping that the sword and shield combo will justify claiming it is an 'Icon of Glory' and tack on some bonus points - this thing is going to take me forever to paint, after all!

Well, I got a little carried away...

Now I have a Dev box to build up, some Vanguard and the Company Command kit, plus some Anvil Industries bits (running legs, skull helms and cloaks). The bits in the Dev/Van kits are awesome! I was very impressed. So now I need to convert up the Solaq captain into my new Marshal, and I'm working on some characterful command squad members. The Devs will probably get some magnets, but I anticipate 2x Grav, 2x Multimelta - I already have a couple of old metal plasma and las guys who never see the table anyway ;)

The vanguard is a whole other question... I'm quite indecisive on what their loadouts should be, though the cheap weaponry options mean they'll probably get kitted-out!

Lastly, this guy's taking shape;

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/311C312E-A427-4DF6-A20A-868262D74F40_zpsfzajca8o.jpg