Visions of Things to Come

Brother Tyler

As has been established, the Indomitus Project is intended to be a minor expansion to 3rd edition Space Hulk. It is, and will remain, limited to Terminators versus Genestealers. My current focus of effort is getting the "basic" rulebook completed, and this will include rules for substituting other Terminators (i.e., other Chapters, other independent characters, and Chaos Space Marines), additional Terminator weapons (e.g., power lances, combi-weapons, etc.), and minor additional elements of the map. The overall intent is that players that have 3rd edition Space Hulk can use whatever other Terminator models they have in their collection in place of the (fantastic) Blood Angels Terminators that came in the game.

I'd also like to develop a number of additional missions and campaigns in order to give players some more variety and replay value. While my original intent was to reproduce the older missions/campaigns, my spidey sense began tingling at GW legal. So I've shifted this to creating new homegrown missions and then collecting them into mini-campaigns. We're working on the Segewold Crusade featuring the Black Templars, but I'd like to see additional missions/campaigns that feature other Chapters. The intent behind all of these new missions/campaigns is that players won't have to print up new/additional tiles - all new missions/campaigns will be limited to the tiles that are available in the 3rd edition of the game. We might create new counters that players can use, but I'd like to keep those to a minimum.

There are two definite extensions to the Indomitus Project that will come later, but both of these will feature significant rules changes as the basic dynamic of Terminators versus Genestealers will be removed.

The first is the Long War, which will pit Space Marine Terminators versus Chaos Space Marine Terminators. The main change here is that attacks will function differently as we now have to resolve the effects of weapons against tactical dreadnought armour (which is much stronger than Genestealer chitin). One definite campaign I'd like to develop will feature the Deathwing, with the later missions in the campaign revolving around capturing a Chaos Space Marine that is suspected to be one of the Fallen. There is plenty of background that allows us to pit loyalists versus traitors, or to even feature one of the many internecine conflicts where loyalists Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines were on both sides (e.g., the Badab War, any number of Black Crusades, ad infinitum).

The second extension is Daemon Hunters, which will pit Grey Knights Terminators versus Chaos Daemons. Again, the weapons of the Grey Knights will function differently, and we'll have to convert Chaos Daemons into rules effects that follow the spirit of Space Hulk.

In addition the Indomitus Project will be joined by two other similar projects. Each of these is intended to give players a game that is similar to Space Hulk, but each will feature different antagonists.

The first of these is the Wrath of Angels project, and this will feature power armoured Space Marines versus Orks. There is plenty of background for any number of campaigns here so this will be interesting to develop.

The second of these will feature the Adepta Sororitas versus heretics (probably cultists from Codex: Chaos Space Marines).

We're going to take these one at a time, though: Indomitus and the Segewold Crusade, followed by Indomitus: The Long War and the first campaign for that project, then Indomitus: Daemon Hunters and the first campaign for that project. Once we've completed the initial rules and campaigns for the Indomitus family of projects, we'll move on into Wrath of Angels and the first campaign for that project, then the Adepta Sororitas project (no name for that one yet) and its first campaign. There will also probably be a Long War supplement to the Wrath of Angels project, pitting loyalist power armoured Space Marines versus power armoured Chaos Space Marines.

And then we'll look at how players might tie both of the Long War extensions into a larger campaign. :wink:

All of this is pretty ambitious, I know, but Space Hulk is a great game that deserves more lovin'. In the absence of lovin' from GW, it's up to hobbyists to bang the drum. If we're lucky, GW might get the hint. If not, we'll do our best to ensure that one of Games Workshop great games doesn't fade away into obscurity.

• 8 months later...

Here's a simplified listing of what is to come, in the sequence in which I plan to complete each (though campaigns/missions for each will be an ongoing effort):

INDOMITUS (living rulebook, unofficial expansion to Space Hulk)

• campaigns/missions (ideally featuring different Chapters/Legions/warbands)
    • The Segewold Crusade (based on the initial version of the Indomitus rules, replaces the Blood Angels with the Black Templars)

• other campaigns/missions (ongoing effort, each featuring different Chapters/Legions/warbands, and potentially creating additional rules that will be incorporated into the Indomitus Rulebook)
  • The Long War (variant based on official Space Hulk rules, features Space Marine Terminators versus Chaos Space Marine Terminators; includes Horus Heresy up to present)
WRATH OF ANGELS (living rulebook, based on Space Hulk rules, but featuring power armoured Space Marines versus Orks)

• The Long War (variant featuring power armoured Space Marines versus power armoured Chaos Space Marines, includes Great Crusade through present)
DAEMONHUNTERS (living rulebook, based on Space Hulk rules, featuring Grey Knights versus Chaos Daemons)
  • campaigns/missions (ideally featuring different Chaos powers)
ADEPTA SORORITAS (as-yet un-named, living rulebook, based on Space Hulk rules, but featuring Adepta Sororitas versus cultists)
  • campaigns/missions
Each of the projects will have an initial campaign, though I haven't necessarily named the campaigns yet (this will be determined later through discussion, with member input taken into account).

And now there is the distinct possibility that we'll add a subsequent project featuring the Adeptus Arbites/Enforcers versus Plague Zombies, but I want to get the other stuff finished first.

All of the campaigns/missions efforts will be ongoing, each potentially adding to the rules for their respective projects (e.g., special rules created for an Indomitus/Space Hulk campaign/mission will be incorporated into the Indomitus rules so that the current Indomitus Rulebook will always include the complete rules).

• The Long War (variant based on official Space Hulk rules, features Space Marine Terminators versus Chaos Space Marine Terminators; includes Horus Heresy up to present)

You have my undivided attention. If you need playtesters here, I would love to assist. I'm sure Armond would be down too, being my victim... er, I mean, opponent.

Can't wait for The Long War and Wrath of Angels :smile.:. Would be cool to play games from the Horus Heresy (Istvaan III/V Boarding Actions, Battle for Calth and Imperial Fists vs Iron Warriors) aswell as a Badab War Mini-Campaign with ~750 points per Chapter =)

subscriped, and i will post pictures of Indomitus Games here when my Terminator Teams are finished =)

(Please release rules for Deathwatch Terminators!)

Greetings, Atia

Edited by Atia

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to post an idea from boardgame geek site here.

I saw a great multiplayer idea using two space hulk sets. I can post it here if it is permissiable. 

I think I have some forgotten files from the original space hulk regarding expanded rules and using different armies. e.g. orks.

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

Multiplayer is outside the scope of what we'll be doing, but it's certainly okay to post additional ideas for Space Hulk in either/both the Other Games and Homegrown Rules forums (Other Games would probably be better).