Gaunt's Ghosts

The first 40K novels I read were Graham McNeill's Ultramarines series, but Gaunts Ghosts came next and are the real reason I fell in love with the universe. I've reread the series nearly half a dozen times and I eagerly await the next installment. So as not to include spoilers (unlike some!) I'll just say that Abnett is masterful at making you actually care about his characters so that any adversity they are forced to overcome sees us struggling and suffering with them. Simply superb.

• 3 weeks later...
How the heck does Gaunt use a bolt pistol? Other more recent things I've read have said that bolt pistols are too large and unwieldy for people without power armor (inquisitors, adeptly sororitas, and obviously SM,) to wield. Is this just one of the things that has changed as the hobby and canon has progressed throughout the years?

Bolters, yes. Bolt Pistols, not so much. A standard issue bolt pistol would be about the size of one of today's larger rifles. Of course, it really helps that Gaunt spent the first part of his military career hefting around artillery shells, so he'd definitely have the muscle strength to use a bolt pistol.

Bolters, yes. Bolt Pistols, not so much. A standard issue bolt pistol would be about the size of one of today's larger rifles. Of course, it really helps that Gaunt spent the first part of his military career hefting around artillery shells, so he'd definitely have the muscle strength to use a bolt pistol.

In the Lexicanum article, it mentions a human sized variant known as the "Cinder Crag Forge "Mauler" Bolt Pistol". Not sure how canon that is though. It also mentions the "Garm Pattern Service Bolt Pistol" favoured by Commissars especially:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_pistol

That true, but he also has it in a holster on his hip. A rifle holster on your hip? Huh? Even the front of the founding omnibus shows it to be a pretty small firearm. But then when I was reading one of the Soul Drinkers books it's almost too big for one inquisitor w/o power armor to use.

I suppose since Bragg carries around an assault cannon I should just not even think about it xD

In the Lexicanum article, it mentions a human sized variant known as the "Cinder Crag Forge "Mauler" Bolt Pistol". Not sure how canon that is though. It also mentions the "Garm Pattern Service Bolt Pistol" favoured by Commissars especially:http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_pistol

Aha! That could be the explanation. Or he's lugging one of the space marine variants around, even though it's probably the size of his leg :P

That true, but he also has it in a holster on his hip. A rifle holster on your hip? Huh? Even the front of the founding omnibus shows it to be a pretty small firearm. But then when I was reading one of the Soul Drinkers books it's almost too big for one inquisitor w/o power armor to use.

Actually there are rifle holsters small enough to fit on your hip. Nowadays they are legally considered "long-barreled pistols" but they're still rifles for the most part.

And not really. Bolt pistols are pretty big yes, but most of it is the height and width versus the length. Bolt weapons tend to not have much in the way of barrel length. :P

Actually there are rifle holsters small enough to fit on your hip. Nowadays they are legally considered "long-barreled pistols" but they're still rifles for the most part.

And not really. Bolt pistols are pretty big yes, but most of it is the height and width versus the length. Bolt weapons tend to not have much in the way of barrel length. :P

I suppose you are right. You can get an mp7 holster for you leg and stuff like that. And bolt guns are just wide and have no barrel you are correct :)

Bolt guns would be impossible you would break most of your bones. A bolt pistol maybe I'm still on the edge but that one that commissars use makes sense since it is human sized. I also think that the "giant syndrome" that space marines have faced over the years (getting bigger and bigger to giant proportions) has affected that as well. Like writers keep making SM's bigger and bigger in stories and their weapons have to compensate.

I would think that there are human sized versions of both bolters and bolt pistols.

In fact, the Dark Heresy rulebook has this to say when talking about bolt weapons wielded by Inquisitors and their acolytes:

"It would be a mistake to confuse these 'civilian' issue weapons with those of the Adeptus Astartes."

She, there have been mortal-based bolt weapons for a while now. These are not the same as those Space Marines wield. They are still pretty heavy, which is why most who wield them are either rather strong, as Gaunt is, though not bulky, or augmented in some way, like a bionic arm.

I would think that there are human sized versions of both bolters and bolt pistols.

In fact, the Dark Heresy rulebook has this to say when talking about bolt weapons wielded by Inquisitors and their acolytes:

"It would be a mistake to confuse these 'civilian' issue weapons with those of the Adeptus Astartes."

Most inquisitors who use them wear power armor like the adeptus sororitas. Or at least the novels I have read that is the case.

Yeah that's true I guess the dark heresy doesn't make much sense then. You would think it would all just be big sized since power armored users are using it. I suppose physical size comes into okay as well though. When you're firing a gun as big as yourself it would be hard to control even with power armor :P

Aaaaaanyway back on the actual subject of Gaunts ghosts (not that I care keep debating bolter size if you wish I brought it up lol) I just started Necropolis the other night and it's great so far. They're talking to the creepy servitor dude who rules the hive. The Ghosts just landed and are going into the hive. Prett sweet book. As the first two have been. Have to say I didn't like the second as much; I liked the short stories but the second part was a bit lacklustre. Not bad at all I enjoyed it but not my favorite.

Second book was pretty much a collection of all the stories already published, as it was then that it became a bigger series of novels.

Necropolis was my favorite, enjoy it.

As for bolt guns, remember that Dark Heresy was mostly about non-power armored henchmen, that latter added rules for power armored agents, sisters and eventually Astartes.

Bolt weapons sized for mortals have always existed and are lacking in power to compensate. There have been (and I believe still are) several Imperial Guard figures equipped with bolt pistols. In game these are identical, but would be weaker in fluff terms (really no different to chainswords, flamers, etc in that regard).

On topic, as a writer, this series (and Abnett himself) has proven incredibly inspirational, particularly in the way he constantly changes style.

From the constantly shifting, somewhat distant viewpoints and huge war feel of a Necropolis to other stories that are caper-like, mysteries, and more, his willingness to experiment with style and tone within the same series and pool of characters is super fascinating

Deathstrike,

I am currently reading Necropolis right now as well. I am getting near the end, but this is definitely my favorite Ghost's book so far.

Luckily I found the 2nd omnibus for cheap on the Amazon marketplace, most of the sellers are asking insane prices for the 2nd and 3rd books.

Has anyone read the Sabbat Worlds anthology? Is it worth going through the trouble of getting it? Also, where does Double Eagle fit in to the overall story?

I don't know about the anthology but Double Eagle is a standalone within the setting of the Sabbats Crusade, much like Titanicus. It takes place on Phantine, the planet with the floating cities that was mostly air force. Personally I have not read it. Yet.

There is an AD-B short story in it.

Doesn't that make it an automatic buy? :p

There are some goodies in the Anthology. Abnett's wife is pretty good. But one short, Iron Star, is part if the main story line and is a huge spoiler. I would recommend waiting until . . Heck, forgot the title. Until you finish the ghost story one, like book ten or so.

Double Eagle was good, though Titanicus was more memorable.

Double Eagle takes place after Guns of Tanith. I think it takes place roughly at the same time as Sabbat Martyr. 

And get the Sabbat Worlds Anthology. It's great. The ADB story is terrific, and The Iron Star is a must-read between Only in Death and Blood Pact.

Archived