Gaunt's Ghosts

Thanks for the answers everyone. Looks like I will be picking up both Double Eagle and the Sabbat Worlds anthology. Now my only problem is finding the 3rd omnibus for something even approaching a reasonable price. The cheapest used copy on Amazon is $95! Insanity!

Thanks for the answers everyone. Looks like I will be picking up both Double Eagle and the Sabbat Worlds anthology. Now my only problem is finding the 3rd omnibus for something even approaching a reasonable price. The cheapest used copy on Amazon is $95! Insanity!

Holy cow. If you can, I'd recommend hitting your local bookstore. It will be in the subsection where the scifi hardcovers usually are.

I usually see one copy in the bookstore I go to.

I don't know about the anthology but Double Eagle is a standalone within the setting of the Sabbats Crusade, much like Titanicus. It takes place on Phantine, the planet with the floating cities that was mostly air force. Personally I have not read it. Yet.

Double Eagle is pretty bland. It's essentially a WW2/WW1 flying aces novel shoehorned into 40K. It even has a side romance between one of the characters and a waitress at a diner one of the principle characters apparently has time to visit, lol

The premise is fairly ridiculous, the plot seems anachronistic to the setting, and most of the battles seems to occur in a vacuum. It's not poorly written, but as it goes on, you may start to wonder "Where are they getting all of these planes from?" And like a lot of Abnett novels, it ends pretty abruptly without any significant denouement, and the final couple chapters feel fairly rushed.

Well the Ghosts regularly pull off the impossible, so what did you expect.

Unless I'm mixing up books, they do "lose" MkVenner

Someone please clone Dan Abnett once or twice, so he can write on the Ghosts, Eisenhorn vs. Ravenor and the HH series simultaneously.

So what you're saying is, its Dan Abnett in full classic swing, meaning that I won't have a problem with it? Good to know.

Pretty much, lol. This is why a lot of Abnett stuff is so popular. It all feels so comfortable and familiar. Why I defended Battle: Los Angeles as being a decent military/alien invasion movie because it was basically every war movie and alien invasion movie you'd already seen and liked before.

Actually, I had brought up the fact that Prospero Burns is basically a 40Kized adaption of Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead the other day. Mashed up with a bunch of other stuff of course, but it's about an out of place historian thrust into close proximity with a culture he doesn't fully understand (and is coincidentally Nordic), which subsequently asks him to tell their stories since they don't have a written record of their own (because, hey, Space Wolves are a thinly veiled 10th century viking trope anyway, so might as well pulp the dead horse, lol). He starts out timid and uninitiated, having to be rescued in his first battle, but by the end of the story has grown into a warrior in his own right and fights alongside them.

Yes and no.

Traitor General ends with all of them staying on Gereon, being "left behind". Then when they all make it back, they come back without MkVenner, who elected to stay behind and train some of Imperial insurgents. By the time the Ghosts make it back to Gereon, MkVenner is presumed dead, confirmed MIA. He's just one of those "whatever happened to that guy" stories. Which is a more peaceful send off than Bragg got while also managing to be more frustrating.

Yes and no.

Traitor General ends with all of them staying on Gereon, being "left behind". Then when they all make it back, they come back without MkVenner, who elected to stay behind and train some of Imperial insurgents. By the time the Ghosts make it back to Gereon, MkVenner is presumed dead, confirmed MIA. He's just one of those "whatever happened to that guy" stories. Which is a more peaceful send off than Bragg got while also managing to be more frustrating.

He'll totally be back/

Yes and no.

He'll totally be back/

Nope, he is confirmed dead. The insurgents just continue to credit him for their actions so they can keep the advantage of pant :cuss ing terror he inspired in the enemy while alive.

Yes and no.

He'll totally be back/

Nope, he is confirmed dead. The insurgents just continue to credit him for their actions so they can keep the advantage of pant censored.gif ing terror he inspired in the enemy while alive.

Unsure if sarcasm - but at no point do I remember reading that, and a check on the Lex and GG Wiki make no mention of his death.

Unsure if sarcasm - but at no point do I remember reading that, and a check on the Lex and GG Wiki make no mention of his death.

IIRC, his death is believed to be confirmed by the Imperials and they do use his name to spook the Chaos forces, but there is no true, solid proof that he died. Just that the people who followed him think he's dead.

IIRC, his death is believed to be confirmed by the Imperials and they do use his name to spook the Chaos forces, but there is no true, solid proof that he died. Just that the people who followed him think he's dead.

Considering that they trained, fought and lived with him, wouldn't they know? The thing that muddied it was that one of the stealth guys had a Tanith cloak and Mkoll, who may be a descendant of Ollanius Pius, kept sensing him nearby.

But then, wouldn't he when he is surrounded by people trained by him? People who idolized him and imitated him? Wouldn't he see some of Ven in them, but maybe not understand the feeling?

And wouldn't, if he was dead, one of his students take his cloak? Both for its status and for its use?

And wouldn't a regiment that has lost everything twist their perception of reality so that they can keep the hope that one of their heroes remains alive?

Considering that they trained, fought and lived with him, wouldn't they know? The thing that muddied it was that one of the stealth guys had a Tanith cloak and Mkoll, who may be a descendant of Ollanius Pius, kept sensing him nearby.

But then, wouldn't he when he is surrounded by people trained by him? People who idolized him and imitated him? Wouldn't he see some of Ven in them, but maybe not understand the feeling?

And wouldn't, if he was dead, one of his students take his cloak? Both for its status and for its use?

And wouldn't a regiment that has lost everything twist their perception of reality so that they can keep the hope that one of their heroes remains alive?

Yep. It could also be a Dan Abnett curveball meant to keep us guessing. Although that Ollanius Pius is giving me a serious eye twitch.

I don't know about the anthology but Double Eagle is a standalone within the setting of the Sabbats Crusade, much like Titanicus. It takes place on Phantine, the planet with the floating cities that was mostly air force. Personally I have not read it. Yet.

Awesome book, honestly. I'd suggest it to anyone.

Well my input. I have read up to the end of the 'lost' arch, all books good imo, some are better than others but i still think necropolis takes the cake as best. Characters are so well written, how can you not love the mystery around Ven, poor mad larkin and despise with more fiery hatred than 1000 hells lijah Cue, the last one still earns my most hated character award for all the right reasons. So basically i think this series is great, quite heart wrenching "one truly evil, one misunderstood" and some epic parts that were a treat to read. To finish this if it has abnett's name on it, it will probably be a good read.

I rather did as well. Though I am a huge Tanith fanboy. Some of his books weren't quite on par with some of his others, but they were all quality reads leagues better than some other authors' works in the IP. With the exceptions being Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Sarah Cawkwell, since either of them might read this. tongue.png

Jesus people. They were like $18 when I get them, and the last omnibus I bought maybe half a year. Do none none of your bookstores have a sci-fi section?

Seriously, Kol. Close the spoiler, or get rid of it.

Archived