What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

I want to see Landraider gain the same deepstriking failsafe rules as drop pods.

Technically you can already do something similar if you declare a tank shock against a unit from reserves. Any unit you scatter onto would have to either move 1" away or perform a death or glory. For vehicles you would auto stop 1" away and work out a ram. 

Random movement doesn't disallow tankshocks/ramming, nor does coming in from reserves. It's a kind of oddball situation that can only happen with our landraiders or DE raiders that buy the shock prow upgrade.  

Not sure this is something legal... 

I kinda liked the story that Dante tells of the lone squad who fight their way into a chaos vessel and have the sanguinor help them out.

He even smiles at it, which quite possibly meant it was him long before he was any note in the chapter

Cheers for the Asto / Seth info.

Shame, they bring in a character like Astorath, only to have his authority and design of being in the chapter, completely thwarted in effort and morality by Seth... Did they want an excuse to boot him out or something?  Seems odd, but I guess a bit of inner conflict is ok :)

Cheers for the Asto / Seth info.

Shame, they bring in a character like Astorath, only to have his authority and design of being in the chapter, completely thwarted in effort and morality by Seth... Did they want an excuse to boot him out or something? Seems odd, but I guess a bit of inner conflict is ok :)

Agreed, Brother. Inner conflict is what we are all about. :)

And despite my earlier joke, Astorath does not come off as a chump in the stories. In fact, they made me like him a lot more. He's written way better than in the Codex, with naturally a lot bigger page count.

But yes, let's get back to the topic. Last post on this matter, I promise! :P

written by ADB, so unsurprising the dante thing was very good, my favourite thing is that he litterally wasn't anyone special, he just happened to be the last one standing, my only gripe was the lack of info on whatever crime he committed that lead to the story of the sanguinor blessing him on the chaos ship, that sounds like two pretty important events in Lord Commander Dante's history, and neither are covered (but lots of other stuff is!!)

Don't fire all your bullets at once ;). Using up all the fuel now leaves you nothing to write about later!

oh boy... i'd be so happy if ADB was allowed to write an actual book on the events surrounding Dante's rise.

likewise I'd be really happy if David Annandale wrote some full length BA stories... his bits he's done so far were fantastic, particularly the two first person Mephiston stories.

I really want BA captains to be viable. though I don't  think artificer armor is enough to make them good. Maybe they can take sanguinary guard as a command squad. Also relics would make them good. Just something so that a librarian isn't  an auto include in my all of lists. 

I really want BA captains to be viable. though I don't  think artificer armor is enough to make them good. Maybe they can take sanguinary guard as a command squad. Also relics would make them good. Just something so that a librarian isn't  an auto include in my all of lists. 

All I want is for the captain to make a unit of sanguinary guard scoring or vanguard vets.

All I want is for the captain to make a unit of sanguinary guard scoring or vanguard vets.

I ant captains to actually give out buffs like increase attacks or weapon skill, not to just be roided up marines

I really want BA captains to be viable. though I don't think artificer armor is enough to make them good. Maybe they can take sanguinary guard as a command squad. Also relics would make them good. Just something so that a librarian isn't an auto include in my all of lists.

I ant captains to actually give out buffs like increase attacks or weapon skill, not to just be roided up marines

That is chaplain department brother.

What I'd like for 2014 (and maybe 2015), is not a BA codex. Judging by the rulebook, DA and SM codexes, GW doesn't want to fix some things that are currently core for BA - Assault Marines and mech.

Make BA the first Marine codex of 7th ed with hopefully revised vehicle, jump pack and assault rules.

What I'd like for 2014 (and maybe 2015), is not a BA codex. Judging by the rulebook, DA and SM codexes, GW doesn't want to fix some things that are currently core for BA - Assault Marines and mech.

Make BA the first Marine codex of 7th ed with hopefully revised vehicle, jump pack and assault rules.

While this is certainly true, what BA is has changed with every codex. And rarely will any codex allow you to play in the same way you used to do or fix fundamentally broken units. 

Yes, it would take crazy points reductions and a whole smattering of USRs to "fix" us, and it's probably not going to happen. Take terminators for example; with the Tau and Eldar books out the old point cost is totally unreasonable, yet GW didn't touch them in the new SM dex. A 15 pt reduction per terminator wouldn't be out of place at all. 

One very easy way to make assault marines viable is to give them more power weapons at reasonable cost. Let's say you could take power weapons for 10 pts or fists for 15 at the most. And give tacticals back their combat blade for 2 attacks to make them a bit more tactical.

Easy fix for two troop choices! (that's not going to happen) 

While this is certainly true, what BA is has changed with every codex. And rarely will any codex allow you to play in the same way you used to do or fix fundamentally broken units. 

Yes, it would take crazy points reductions and a whole smattering of USRs to "fix" us, and it's probably not going to happen. Take terminators for example; with the Tau and Eldar books out the old point cost is totally unreasonable, yet GW didn't touch them in the new SM dex. A 15 pt reduction per terminator wouldn't be out of place at all. 

One very easy way to make assault marines viable is to give them more power weapons at reasonable cost. Let's say you could take power weapons for 10 pts or fists for 15 at the most. And give tacticals back their combat blade for 2 attacks to make them a bit more tactical.

Indeed.

GW aren't making major changes to codexes this round - add a couple of units here, tweek some points there, and add a couple of USRs for good measure.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for codexes that had problems in their previous incarnation - CSM, DA and Tyranids for example. Codexes that were largely ok previously transition across well - Tau, Eldar and SM. I'd imagine Space Wolves and Imperial Guard will transition to a 6th ed codex quite well too.

BA won't do very well with a 'tweek' codex. Not because the previous codex was bad (I loved it in 5th), because the rules of the game have swung away from the current cornerstones of the BA dex. It needs a bit more of a revision to get by in sixth.

I agree on the reduced points costs for CC weapons, they should always be less than guns. 25pts for a Power Fist is ridiculous in the current state of the game. Also agree with Terminators, the DA dex badly needed drastic points reduction in Deathwing Terminators to make them viable- not the points hike they ended up with !

Indeed.

GW aren't making major changes to codexes this round - add a couple of units here, tweek some points there, and add a couple of USRs for good measure.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for codexes that had problems in their previous incarnation - CSM, DA and Tyranids for example. Codexes that were largely ok previously transition across well - Tau, Eldar and SM. I'd imagine Space Wolves and Imperial Guard will transition to a 6th ed codex quite well too.

BA won't do very well with a 'tweek' codex. Not because the previous codex was bad (I loved it in 5th), because the rules of the game have swung away from the current cornerstones of the BA dex. It needs a bit more of a revision to get by in sixth.

I agree on the reduced points costs for CC weapons, they should always be less than guns. 25pts for a Power Fist is ridiculous in the current state of the game. Also agree with Terminators, the DA dex badly needed drastic points reduction in Deathwing Terminators to make them viable- not the points hike they ended up with !

The tweaks could go a long way, I just don't think it's likely considering how little happened with the regular marines and DA. It's not impossible mind you, after all it happened with wolves and GK last edition. But from what we've seen so far I don't think a new BA dex is going to be all that different from vanilla.

Knife&Fork did you just call 25 point termies reasonable?

Yes. Because of GW handing out AP1-2 + rending like candy that's about the pricepoint where the tactical terminator could be considered an asset and not a unit that will actively hurt your chances to win. 

Knife&Fork did you just call 25 point termies reasonable?

Yes. Because of GW handing out AP1-2 + rending like candy that's about the pricepoint where the tactical terminator could be considered an asset and not a unit that will actively hurt your chances to win. 

Only to two specific armies. I would have been happy for a 35 point price tag. Because otherwise for 10 points more than a marine, you get : +1 attack, 2+ save, 5++, a storm bolter and a powerfist. That's quite a bit.

Only to two specific armies. I would have been happy for a 35 point price tag. Because otherwise for 10 points more than a marine, you get : +1 attack, 2+ save, 5++, a storm bolter and a powerfist. That's quite a bit.

It's a bit more than that...

Tau and Eldar are kinda given, plus they spam tons of high S shots that will wear you down. 

Marines have grav now, and the best lists are those that spam them.

Chaos have princes and artifacts, as well as decent shooting from oblits.

DA also only do bike spam well, and you'll see a lot of melta and probably a dakka stick.

Monstrous creatures are everywhere. 

So pretty much every 6th ed list will chew through a terminator squad pretty quickly. 

(tactical) Terminators have pretty a bad gun, poor mobility without expensive transports and not enough staying power to warrant that cost. The powerfist is nice but not that nice for a slow unit in a shooting edition.

It might seem like you get a lot for 10 pts but when you put them against stuff like wraithguard it's not overpowered at all, just what they need to catch up with the meta. 

That marine isn't exactly a steal either when you can add 2 pts and get jetbike guardians. Sure the marine is superior in some ways, but not where it counts in 6th. 

Archived