Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Of Men, Gods and Daemons (update 5/9/15)

Chaos Space Marines CSM Nurgle Death Guard Word Bearers

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

miteyheroes

miteyheroes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

Your previous stuff is beautiful, so looking forwards to lots of Khorney goodness from you!

we_badge_miteyheroes.png

Stormcast Eternal Thunder Warriors: http://www.bolterand...under-warriors/

Dark Mechanicus Daemon-Knights of the Unblinking Eye: http://www.bolterand...unblinking-eye/
Lords of Blood: The Cruor Praetoria & Hans Kho'ren's Skull Takers: http://www.bolterand...bloodthirsters/

Adeptus Mechanicus conversions (pre-Forgeworld or GW models): http://www.bolterand...6456-my-admech/

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
  • Faction: Hordes of Chaos
Cheers msn-wink.gif

Not much to report tonight but I have got the armour to a point where I can start adding colour to it. It'll be staying black, but with a thin wash of brown on it to get some difference in tone to the other areas, then i'll be giving it a once over with Vallejo Model Air Black Metal to add some highlights. From there it'll be onto the bronze edging. While I had the black out I also cut in along the wing membrane, i'll probably tackle that closer to the end.

16743139989_8c144142c2_c.jpg

Edited by Midian, 25 March 2015 - 07:26 PM.

• Commissar Molotov, Midnightmare and GrandMagnus like this

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

Thanks to work i've not been able to get as much done as i'd like on the 'Thirster, but I have managed to get the armour plates done, and some work on the skulls.

Going forward I think i'll go a different route over using Black Metal as the armour highlight, it didn't quite give the effect I was after and managed to get flecks of metallic onto some of the red into the bargain. Grrr. Grey it is then.....

The brass details went on without any problems, basecoat, wash and a couple of highlights and we're good. Im thinking about adding some oxidisation to it further down the line.

Im working my way through the skulls currently, before moving onto the leather strapping. Im thinking about going with brown highlights to get some more tones into the finished figure otherwise it'll turn into a red and black blob.

16359532384_7af8a68d5c_c.jpg

• Commissar Molotov, Large and Moving Torb, Midnightmare and 2 others like this

Brother dean

Brother dean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,991 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels,

What happened to the cultists?  

Gold work is awesome as usual (as I sit and stare at Angels Encarmine)

post for subscription.  Words for the Word god.

Edited by Brother dean, 30 March 2015 - 08:19 PM.

"deans somewhat less rarely updated log" (ammobunker) DA, GotC and PA follies (B&C plog)

4500pts of Deathwing...   Quantity is a Quality all it's own.

(TheShadowGuard)
On wings of death they shall ride, to unleash hell and fury from above
Sons of Johnson shall roll like a tide, in memory of the father and the lord they love

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

Cheers mate ;)

Cultists are still there, they'll get some attention at some stage, it's just picking when.

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
Couple of small updates today. The 'Thirster is nearly done, just the wing membranes and some touch ups to do before the base. I've still not got a plan in mind for the base so that'll wait until i've got something coherent.

Just to whet your appetite, here's the axe in all it's choppy glory. Still got some blood to add once it's been varnished.

16838657769_5483359de7_c.jpg

Next up will be the start of a new test for my Black Legion force. Im themeing them around the time of the Legion Wars at the end of the Heresy (go read Talon of Horus if you need any insight into that), when Abaddon pulls them back together. Lots of older mark armour for the force should be quite striking. A few different parts went into making this chap - body and legs are FW MK3, head and left pad are from the FW Reavers, bolter ,arms and backpack are plastic chaos marine and the right spiky pad is from Master Crafted Miniatures. http://mastercrafted...n-shoulderpads/

16837096958_7e57b682dc_c.jpg

• Large and Moving Torb, poom, disease and 4 others like this

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,508 posts

Those parts fit well together, like that helmet with the bodywork, nice.

And the axe... awesome paint job.

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,899 posts
  • Faction: The Castigators

Excellent, excellent stuff. I'm loving your Black Legion, and especially good that you can unite it all for your grand crusade.

The axe on your Thirster is fantastic too, love how you've made it look daemonic with the blend from metallic to fleshy (something I never knew was possible!)

Hope to see more from you!  

QUOTE (voi shet magir @ May 31 2011, 05:38 AM) 
That is an unexpectedly strong assertion from a dead person.

deathspectersgt7

deathspectersgt7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,272 posts
  • Faction: Death Spectres & More

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

16837096958_7e57b682dc_c.jpg

gallery_70393_10089_14134.png     gallery_45765_11559_21519.png

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,696 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

Ace Legionnaire!

StoneSentinels

StoneSentinels

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
  • Faction: The Stone Sentinels

That chap is rocking his spikes, love it!

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

Cheers all.

Well, after a couple of issues and strip jobs, i've decided to can the Black Legion (again!). Instead im going to go for a colour I know I can paint well and have a crack at a Word Bearers army. It'll be a two birds one stone type job, with a force that can do double duty for either 40k or as a Traitor 30k force, themed around Calth. I'll be having a crack at a test using the above marine, with any luck it shouldn't take as long as painting black.....

Edited by Midian, 05 April 2015 - 08:01 PM.

• StoneSentinels likes this

thamier

thamier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,499 posts
  • Faction: Balefire Legion

looks great, love the bloodthirster, can never have enough of those

"When we reap their flesh our enemies weakens, when we feed on their soulsour resolve strengthen, but our hunger is never sated and our enemies shall know no peace."My W.I.P Chaos Space Marine thread : Balefire Legion

8FD7ACE1-1E89-4D18-9F78-F73837465D2B.pngE34AE41F-3A16-4ACB-93FD-A00C82F503D5.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gif5A824685-D153-44B5-8405-3C0CAA6F4B60.png30C434FF-294A-42DB-840E-24EC0844FCAA.jpg6616117F-FAAF-4152-8F30-7C11C0435972.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_8822.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_257.pngETL_Medal_03.gif

You are also welcome to check out my new youtube channel at:

https://www.youtube....7WYgmAQAkiYAIPQ

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,899 posts

Shame that - your Black Legion always were fantastic. Still, I'm loving the Word Bearers (as well you know.) Any plans for any cool conversions? An excellent diabolist/demagogue/dark apostle?

StoneSentinels

StoneSentinels

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
  • Faction: The Stone Sentinels

Ohh Word bearers! I am excited for this. Does that mean some Gal vorbak too?

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

Shame that - your Black Legion always were fantastic. Still, I'm loving the Word Bearers (as well you know.) Any plans for any cool conversions? An excellent diabolist/demagogue/dark apostle?

Of course, i've been eyeing up the plastic chaplain as a basis for something for a while, with the right application of force it'll be anything I want it to be ;)

Ohh Word bearers! I am excited for this. Does that mean some Gal vorbak too?

Yep, and a Mhara Gal too at some stage. Im just throwing ideas about in my head currently but i'll try to feature all of the specific Word Bearer units down the line.

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
Spent a bit of time getting some base colours on the Word Bearer today, then it got hit with a Nuln Oil wash and had a quick highlight on the armour. Next i'll go to work on the main red highlight and some of the metal work. I've been digging about in the FW Heresy books for ideas but not hit anything specific I like so far so i'll be carrying on with that over the next few days. 

Still trying to plan a base scheme too, im thinking along the lines of some of the caverns on Calth but I don't recall there being any descriptions of the ground cover. Another one to research then.

16436092164_458d7c561c_c.jpg

• disease and StoneSentinels like this

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,700 posts

By Khorne, that axe is immense! Any chance of a recipe? (the gold, the silver but especially the flesh)

Nice start on the WB too thumbsup.gif

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

By Khorne, that axe is immense! Any chance of a recipe? (the gold, the silver but especially the flesh)

Nice start on the WB too thumbsup.gif

Cheers. The axe is pretty simple to be honest - its basecoated with Leadbelcher, then the brass was basecoated with Brass Scorpion. The whole lot had a wash of Agrax before being drybrushed with Necron Compound. Once that was done the brass areas were washed with Seraphim Sepia. Thats the blade and brass done. The flesh areas were given a thinned, slightly patchy basecoat of Bugmans Glow, then washed with Reikland Fleshshade. It was highlighted first with thinned Bugmans Glow then by adding white to Bugmans for a second highlight.

• Vel'Cona and Midnightmare like this

Ben @ Master Crafted

Ben @ Master Crafted

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Mmmm... spikey.

Great conversions and paint-work in this log!

00.png bannersig.png

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,843 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines

Wow, I wouldn't have guess that axe would be that easy.  The effect is way more interesting than the simple steps it took to make it.  I love when that happens!

In either case, awesome stuff in this thread; I love the subdued reds on Khorne models (rusty red).  Gonna be watching this one!

Seems like these models will never end!

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

El-Diablo

El-Diablo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

Cheers guys.

Time to freshen the place up I think. After a few weeks of playing about with colours I finally think i've cracked my Word Bearers scheme. I've come up with a couple of tests, and some terrible photos, to see what people think. Next step is to paint 3 more Astartes to see if I can do small batch lots.

20548814793_5bdbdf9813_c.jpg

20499712223_5bc316a154_c.jpg

21034453341_290a2dfc14_c.jpg

21026863605_1284baffd5_c.jpg

• Large and Moving Torb, Marshal Rohr, Thrillhouse and 1 other like this

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,899 posts
Excellent figures. I love how you've merged the forgeworld pieces with the plastic chaos space marines components. The chainmail tabard, for example.

These models are nicely sinister.

I look forward to seeing more!

Kyor Degremon

Kyor Degremon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19 posts

Glad I came across this!

IT looks great, and I'll be considering this "mastercrafted" site for my own force. Than you for the inspiration!

Iron warriors Legion project: http://www.bolterand...n/#entry4847694

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,555 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
To echo Mol, you've nailed the blending of plastic and resin seamlessly. It looks better than either kit independently!

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chaos Space Marines, CSM, Nurgle, Death Guard, Word Bearers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users