Of Men, Gods and Daemons (update 5/9/15)

El-Diablo

Cheers msn-wink.gif

Not much to report tonight but I have got the armour to a point where I can start adding colour to it. It'll be staying black, but with a thin wash of brown on it to get some difference in tone to the other areas, then i'll be giving it a once over with Vallejo Model Air Black Metal to add some highlights. From there it'll be onto the bronze edging. While I had the black out I also cut in along the wing membrane, i'll probably tackle that closer to the end.

16743139989_8c144142c2_c.jpg

Thanks to work i've not been able to get as much done as i'd like on the 'Thirster, but I have managed to get the armour plates done, and some work on the skulls.

Going forward I think i'll go a different route over using Black Metal as the armour highlight, it didn't quite give the effect I was after and managed to get flecks of metallic onto some of the red into the bargain. Grrr. Grey it is then.....

The brass details went on without any problems, basecoat, wash and a couple of highlights and we're good. Im thinking about adding some oxidisation to it further down the line.

Im working my way through the skulls currently, before moving onto the leather strapping. Im thinking about going with brown highlights to get some more tones into the finished figure otherwise it'll turn into a red and black blob.

16359532384_7af8a68d5c_c.jpg

Couple of small updates today. The 'Thirster is nearly done, just the wing membranes and some touch ups to do before the base. I've still not got a plan in mind for the base so that'll wait until i've got something coherent.

Just to whet your appetite, here's the axe in all it's choppy glory. Still got some blood to add once it's been varnished.

16838657769_5483359de7_c.jpg

Next up will be the start of a new test for my Black Legion force. Im themeing them around the time of the Legion Wars at the end of the Heresy (go read Talon of Horus if you need any insight into that), when Abaddon pulls them back together. Lots of older mark armour for the force should be quite striking. A few different parts went into making this chap - body and legs are FW MK3, head and left pad are from the FW Reavers, bolter ,arms and backpack are plastic chaos marine and the right spiky pad is from Master Crafted Miniatures. http://mastercrafted.co.uk/shop/infantry-components/shoulder-pads/spiked-veteran-shoulderpads/

16837096958_7e57b682dc_c.jpg

Excellent, excellent stuff. I'm loving your Black Legion, and especially good that you can unite it all for your grand crusade.

The axe on your Thirster is fantastic too, love how you've made it look daemonic with the blend from metallic to fleshy (something I never knew was possible!)

Hope to see more from you!  

Cheers all.

Well, after a couple of issues and strip jobs, i've decided to can the Black Legion (again!). Instead im going to go for a colour I know I can paint well and have a crack at a Word Bearers army. It'll be a two birds one stone type job, with a force that can do double duty for either 40k or as a Traitor 30k force, themed around Calth. I'll be having a crack at a test using the above marine, with any luck it shouldn't take as long as painting black.....

Shame that - your Black Legion always were fantastic. Still, I'm loving the Word Bearers (as well you know.) Any plans for any cool conversions? An excellent diabolist/demagogue/dark apostle?

Of course, i've been eyeing up the plastic chaplain as a basis for something for a while, with the right application of force it'll be anything I want it to be ;)

Ohh Word bearers! I am excited for this. Does that mean some Gal vorbak too?

Yep, and a Mhara Gal too at some stage. Im just throwing ideas about in my head currently but i'll try to feature all of the specific Word Bearer units down the line.

Spent a bit of time getting some base colours on the Word Bearer today, then it got hit with a Nuln Oil wash and had a quick highlight on the armour. Next i'll go to work on the main red highlight and some of the metal work. I've been digging about in the FW Heresy books for ideas but not hit anything specific I like so far so i'll be carrying on with that over the next few days. 

Still trying to plan a base scheme too, im thinking along the lines of some of the caverns on Calth but I don't recall there being any descriptions of the ground cover. Another one to research then.

16436092164_458d7c561c_c.jpg

By Khorne, that axe is immense! Any chance of a recipe? (the gold, the silver but especially the flesh)

Nice start on the WB too thumbsup.gif

Cheers. The axe is pretty simple to be honest - its basecoated with Leadbelcher, then the brass was basecoated with Brass Scorpion. The whole lot had a wash of Agrax before being drybrushed with Necron Compound. Once that was done the brass areas were washed with Seraphim Sepia. Thats the blade and brass done. The flesh areas were given a thinned, slightly patchy basecoat of Bugmans Glow, then washed with Reikland Fleshshade. It was highlighted first with thinned Bugmans Glow then by adding white to Bugmans for a second highlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I wouldn't have guess that axe would be that easy.  The effect is way more interesting than the simple steps it took to make it.  I love when that happens!

In either case, awesome stuff in this thread; I love the subdued reds on Khorne models (rusty red).  Gonna be watching this one!

• 4 months later...

Cheers guys.

Time to freshen the place up I think. After a few weeks of playing about with colours I finally think i've cracked my Word Bearers scheme. I've come up with a couple of tests, and some terrible photos, to see what people think. Next step is to paint 3 more Astartes to see if I can do small batch lots.

20548814793_5bdbdf9813_c.jpg

20499712223_5bc316a154_c.jpg

21034453341_290a2dfc14_c.jpg

21026863605_1284baffd5_c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived