Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens
So, as I mentioned in the "today in the hobby..." thread in Amicus, I've resolved/vowed to build and paint the following by the end of the year:
- Fortress of Redemption - done! For real this time!
- Aquila Strongpoint - done!
- Firestorm Redoubt - done!
- Vengeance Weapon Batteries - done!
- 3 sets of Imperial Defence Lines - done!
- 2 sets of Imperial Defence Emplacements - done!
- Imperial Bunker - done!
- Skyshield Landing Pad - done!
- Honoured Imperium set - done!
- Aegis Defence Line - done!
- Imperial Bastion - done!

I intend to use this thread to help me keep track of everything. I've started with the Fortress of Redemption and tonight I've got 3 of the 4 parts completed - the walkway and 2 bunkers.

5479FB71-29A7-47B2-B519-FDC4EBB3B9F2_zps

F73C41FB-B6A8-444E-94AE-042E19A2A3DD_zps

0A53613F-56AB-45A1-B4EF-6328E1D7CC60_zps

CC6327D5-D0D0-43CE-8D3F-06AAF58AFA54_zps

8001F7DF-36E0-4F16-BCB9-91EB3FD6F75D_zps

8E1292A1-FEB2-4C21-BE13-D39E918CE870_zps

1E4A0A5C-C628-48CE-841F-8580A39606E2_zps

Edited by Brother Casman, 11 January 2015 - 05:06 AM.

• Noserenda, Reinhard and Pearson73 like this
Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete! | 2015 Thread of Things! - Some infantry arrive.

"Sometimes the Imperium needs heroes, sometimes saints and other times it needs monsters, for the dark void of the stars is cold and has bred nightmare and treachery most could never dream of. So when some call him tyrant, world-burner, apostate and butcher, remember this: He commanded armies on a hundred worlds and spanned cursed stars where saints would fear to tread, and in doing so held back the night. Monster he may have been, but he was ours and I for one thank the God-Emperor for him." - Inquistor Marr, Speaking of Lord-Errant Cromhal, Supreme Commander of the Aegisine Crusade, M.39

feuer_faust

feuer_faust

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,346 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion, Sunbros

Nice terrain! Solidly painted with just the right amount of accents. :)

It's a secret to everybody.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Thank you, feuer_faust!

A few things I forget to mention in the OP:
- the main tower is obviously next, then the Aegis Defence Line, I think.
- that's the intended colour scheme for all of my terrain. I think it'll look nice on the tabletop with everything unified, colour-wise.
- the scheme comes from the Jan 2013 WD.
- comments and criticisms are more than welcome!
Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete! | 2015 Thread of Things! - Some infantry arrive.

"Sometimes the Imperium needs heroes, sometimes saints and other times it needs monsters, for the dark void of the stars is cold and has bred nightmare and treachery most could never dream of. So when some call him tyrant, world-burner, apostate and butcher, remember this: He commanded armies on a hundred worlds and spanned cursed stars where saints would fear to tread, and in doing so held back the night. Monster he may have been, but he was ours and I for one thank the God-Emperor for him." - Inquistor Marr, Speaking of Lord-Errant Cromhal, Supreme Commander of the Aegisine Crusade, M.39

Brother dean

Brother dean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,967 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels,

Nicely done.  A little understated but I see what you are going for and you can hold your head up high having actually done it and done it well...

• Brother Casman likes this

"deans somewhat less rarely updated log" (ammobunker) DA, GotC and PA follies (B&C plog)

4500pts of Deathwing...   Quantity is a Quality all it's own.

(TheShadowGuard)
On wings of death they shall ride, to unleash hell and fury from above
Sons of Johnson shall roll like a tide, in memory of the father and the lord they love

Grimm Blade

Grimm Blade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 542 posts
  • Chapter Name: Grey Knights and Death Wing

Brilliant job on the metallics!!!

++Humanities freedom isn't free at all, it comes with the highest of costs. The cost of blood! Remember this day Brothers, even though it will not be spoken of outside of our order, it will be yours for all time! This is where we hold them! This is where we fight! This is where they die! ++ (Grand Master Constantine Grimmblade at the battle of Port Coquilius)

Grey Knights

Space Hulk Death Wing

gallery_24095_7528_2212.gif

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Thank you both! I'm glad to hear that you like it. :D

Hyaenidae

Hyaenidae

++ VETERANUS GRAVIOR ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,326 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion

The slippers are adorable.

Terrains' cool, too.

:P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

JeffTibbetts

JeffTibbetts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,454 posts
  • Chapter Name: Eagle Eyes

The slippers are adorable.

Terrains' cool, too.

tongue.png

Haha! I bet she was giggling as he took these pics. I know my GF always pokes fun at me when I take WIP shots. Comes with the territory.

tn_gallery_74115_9313_33227.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_9491.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_110464.png gallery_74115_9011_12025.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_3499.png

++ victorus aut mortis ++

Follow me on Twitter @linguartisan for pics and banter.

Kurama

Kurama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,589 posts
They don't understand , if I don't show you guys every stage you won't think I'm cooooooooooooolllllllllll

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Well, that took a turn for the odd. :D The person wearing the slippers is actually my mother :lol: She was mostly ignoring me.

Anyway, what do y'all think of the terrain so far?
  • JeffTibbetts likes this

Kurama

Kurama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,589 posts
It's good brother, it's real good

But what you need is some heresy army

JeffTibbetts

JeffTibbetts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,454 posts
  • Chapter Name: Eagle Eyes

Oh, right… It's good too, I suppose. :D

But seriously, I do like it. You put just that LITTLE extra bit of love into it, to take it from being terrain to becoming a part of your army itself. The metallics (and the variation in finishes) are very good all around, and it's all nice and clean work. Usually on terrain, the things that I notice are that there are at most two different finishes (one color and one metallic) and everything looks like it was done with the largest dry brush they could find. 

It's cool to see how adding just one more step of attention can make a big difference. One other thing that could improve it would be to "De-Dark-Angelify" it a bit. I never liked the icon on the shields and stuff if you're trying to make it your own. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to remove those. The big sculpted angels can be interpreted as more generic. 

tn_gallery_74115_9313_33227.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_9491.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_110464.png gallery_74115_9011_12025.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_3499.png

++ victorus aut mortis ++

Follow me on Twitter @linguartisan for pics and banter.

deathspectersgt7

deathspectersgt7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,980 posts
  • Chapter Name: deathspectres,Hammers of Dorn

This looks good  one of my favorite parts of the hobby painted Terrain. I agree on ridding the DA symbol maybe a GS made banner saying new occupants.

gallery_70393_10089_14134.png     gallery_45765_11559_21519.png

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,973 posts

It's well painted, and I'm looking forward to seeing all your vow completed. Especially the Aquila Strongpoint, I love that big cannon.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Thanks again for all the kind words everyone! I have an update, but first, a few points. I debated removing the DA iconography, but I ultimately like the First Legion. I have some plans to do up the Dark Vengeance set I bought in pre-Heresy colours to be Fallen led by Cypher now that he has rules again. That being said, I have completed the main tower:
6B0F7DA5-37BA-4A66-B8F6-DC5F3C20D06A_zps

00D5689D-9D83-4C6A-BECD-FB0937A2B898_zps

D85F74DE-4FD5-4020-82B4-73C252A660A1_zps

51A4BE8A-A33C-4A35-96F8-8968E0106374_zps

These next two pics show the whole Fortress of Redemption:
FD10EA90-C125-49B8-A5B2-B5A77B83D7ED_zps

3F7A9392-3EA3-4DFE-9191-0E2A2C9BD5CD_zps

After this, I'm taking a bit of a break from terrain, and I'm going to finish up Cypher. Next month, it's the Aegis Defence Line.
  • Noserenda, Reinhard and Ovidius Incertus like this

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Hello again, everyone!

I have not forgotten this vow of mine! I've been remarkably busy with work and overtime, but I have a small update for you all:
CAA34EF1-09C2-47F2-ADCA-C7FBA54CA503_zps

The gold dry brushing is the next step, and I hope to finish the defence line this weekend.

Hyaenidae

Hyaenidae

++ VETERANUS GRAVIOR ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,326 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion

I got one of those towers myself, and have been on the fence on how to paint it: either black or white marble. You're definitely making me think white is the way to go.

Awesome so far, man.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Thank you, Heathens, I'm glad I can provide some inspiration. I like how the white contrasts with the dark grey base coat.

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,973 posts

The tower looks fantastic with this white marble.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
I meant to respond to you earlier, KotR - thanks! :)

---------------

Another update - the ADL is largely completed:

6007BB2B-ABBF-4047-8193-A3DA1766358F_zps

6D93005B-C0FA-4737-BE3A-1A61BE7E0431_zps

I just have to magnetize the little Comms relay thingies and shade the bullet holes a bit.

I should probably also find my camera and tripod to take some better pics...

Of course, I have decided that I need to go back and do up the little Aquilas on the Fortress in the white marble, since it looks good on the ADL. Oh well, next time around.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
A close-up on one of the magnetized pieces, with and without comm relay:

65E9DC2A-A113-419A-9BEC-5E8095FCD23C_zps

45AEDFBE-B712-4071-9715-E77938F79BB4_zps

This is finally done! The Wall of Martyrs box set is next.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts
Despite the risk of looking like I'm talking to myself, I have begun work on the Wall of Martyrs. This pic shows the base coat for my intended colour scheme:
5ECA87DC-2A65-4E5E-B052-ED1EBE8E10A5_zps

It's pretty sloppy, but I was more looking to get a feel for how the colours work on the trenches. I haven't painted the corpses and ammo boxes yet, I'm still deciding on a colour for them.

Edited by Brother Casman, 12 March 2014 - 02:12 AM.

marvmoogy

marvmoogy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,098 posts

nice to see a terrain WIP thread.  It's the one area I haven't gotten into as yet - 'real' minis are taking the front seat.

That said, I'd love to emulate this level of painting for terrain (especially the tower in the fortress - that marble is really clean!)

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,973 posts

They look good.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 780 posts

nice to see a terrain WIP thread.  It's the one area I haven't gotten into as yet - 'real' minis are taking the front seat.

That said, I'd love to emulate this level of painting for terrain (especially the tower in the fortress - that marble is really clean!)

Yeah, I think that, in general, armies take a front seat more often than not. Which is fine - our armies are our pride and joy, after all. At the same time, terrain can be considered the "third army" on the battlefield, so my dream is to have games where two well painted armies are fighting over well painted terrain. It's going to be awesome! biggrin.png

Thanks, as well. These pictures don't really do the models justice. I really need to find my digital camera...
  • marvmoogy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Terrain, Fortress of Redemption, Aegis Defence Line, Wall of Martyrs, Skyshield Landing Pad, Honoured Imperium, Imperial Bastion, Firestorm Redoubt, Aquila Strongpoint, Vengeance Weapon Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users