I have finished the Skyshield Landing Pad!

gallery_38471_13550_38268.jpg

gallery_38471_13550_40275.jpg

I did however find some bits that should have been painted as part of the Fortress of Redemption, so I'm going to return to that for a bit.

I also bought a Bastion to paint up in the same colour scheme as everything else, so I'm going to try to get it done by the end of the year.

There was only one spot in the main landing pad that had a hair-thin gap. The only reason I found it was some of the paint bled through from top to bottom. Other than that, it went together really smoothly. The flaps will rub whatever paint is on their "rails" so you'll want as thin a coat as possible, unless you glue the flaps in one position.

• 3 weeks later...

So, a quick update on the Fortress of Redemption touch-ups: I've painted all the little bits I missed before, like the lights and the heavy bolters and magnetized most of them. I also redid some parts on the bunkers with the marble effect.

Front:

gallery_38471_13550_13670.jpg

Back:

gallery_38471_13550_37737.jpg

Looking good! It's cool to see how little details really give it that finishing touch. Looks like you brought it into your LGS, huh? Are you making it for the store?

Nope, it's mine. Once it's sealed properly, I expect I'll "sponsor" a table for tournaments, but it stays with me. I'm really pleased with how the whole thing looks after doing the marbley bits on the bunkers. It looked unfinished before, sitting next to the other stuff - weird how that sort of thing can bother you, eh?

They all look good.

Except the storm talon. No storm talon can ever look good. :P

Thanks! I seem to remember you were interested in the Aquila Strongpoint - did it live up to your expectations?

[snip]

Storm Talons are super cute. You take it back.

Hey, now. No fighting in my threads. :D I mean, I agree with you, as I have two and I kind of want one more, but people are entitled to their opinions. :P

More seriously, the Stormtalon is just there for scale. The landing pad is somehow bigger than I expected it to be, I don't know why it shocks me every time I look at it.

Looking good! It's cool to see how little details really give it that finishing touch. Looks like you brought it into your LGS, huh? Are you making it for the store?

Nope, it's mine. Once it's sealed properly, I expect I'll "sponsor" a table for tournaments, but it stays with me. I'm really pleased with how the whole thing looks after doing the marbley bits on the bunkers. It looked unfinished before, sitting next to the other stuff - weird how that sort of thing can bother you, eh?

They all look good.

Except the storm talon. No storm talon can ever look good. tongue.png

Thanks! I seem to remember you were interested in the Aquila Strongpoint - did it live up to your expectations?

[snip]

Storm Talons are super cute. You take it back.

Hey, now. No fighting in my threads. biggrin.png I mean, I agree with you, as I have two and I kind of want one more, but people are entitled to their opinions. tongue.png

More seriously, the Stormtalon is just there for scale. The landing pad is somehow bigger than I expected it to be, I don't know why it shocks me every time I look at it.

It is big. Have you actually used one in any games? I'm interested in the idea of starting a flyer on it so it doesn't have to fly in from reserves. That's still the case in the rules, right?

Uh, never noticed it was finished. Yeah, it looks good. Would be better in Our Martyred Lady livery though. tongue.png

And I think the landing pad was scaled for the Imperial Guard valkyrie, which has a bigger 'footprint' if I'm not mistaken.

[snip]

It is big. Have you actually used one in any games? I'm interested in the idea of starting a flyer on it so it doesn't have to fly in from reserves. That's still the case in the rules, right?

Yes, I have used it in a game, and yes, the Stronghold Assault rules still include the option to upgrade a Skyshield with Ready for Takeoff. As far as I know, Stronghold Assault has not yet been superseded.

As for the game, a friend of mine and I are playing a slow, irregular campaign: Orks vs Chaos vs the Imperium, and up until this game the Imperials had been getting their collective teeth kicked in. We used the Scramble mission from Death from the Skies, thinking the Orks found the Blood Ravens landing zone and went to steal/smash/do Orky things. The mission opens with all of the defender's aircraft starting powered down/refuelling/whatever, activating on a die roll. I have three aircraft starting on the field, 2 talons, 1 raven (on the Skyshield) and all three take off at the start of the first turn. It's like the pilots all said "we ain't got time for those Orks". The xenos broke upon my lines like waves on the shore, and the Imperial forces haven't looked back since.

Uh, never noticed it was finished. Yeah, it looks good. Would be better in Our Martyred Lady livery though. :P

And I think the landing pad was scaled for the Imperial Guard valkyrie, which has a bigger 'footprint' if I'm not mistaken.

Heh, perhaps someday the Sisters of Battle will get to defend it against the foul enemies of the Imperium. I'll try to remember to take pictures, if they do.

I expect you're right on the landing pad; I did think that the Stormraven "fit" better, and it's pretty close in size to the Valkyrie.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I took most of the terrain to the store to show to my friends and set it up on display:

gallery_38471_13550_36736.jpg

gallery_38471_13550_17385.jpg

gallery_38471_13550_112231.jpg

The only thing missing would be the Aquila Strongpoint, which I thought was too large to include, what with everything else. It is nice to see it all together, though.

• 1 month later...

Hey Casman,

This thread has provided me with a lot of inspiration....so I now have:

Defence emplacement

Defence lines

2x Bunkers

Firestorm

Vengeance battery

Bastion

Aegis Defence line

This is all down to you!

You're right about it being the 'second army' - I just looked into the points costs in Stronghold Assault ;-)

Archived