Oh how lost I am... be the light...

Armond

Ok, I am totally new to this 30k thing.  I have been in training and deployed for the past half year or so.  Where are the rules for playing Heresy, 30k? 

I am a huge fan of the old Mark armors, and want to build a fledgling force of perhaps Night Lords.  Can someone tell me where I need to go to build a list and from what sources are these coming from?  Are these official rules of some type?  I am so lost!

Ok, I am totally new to this 30k thing.  I have been in training and deployed for the past half year or so.  Where are the rules for playing Heresy, 30k? 

I am a huge fan of the old Mark armors, and want to build a fledgling force of perhaps Night Lords.  Can someone tell me where I need to go to build a list and from what sources are these coming from?  Are these official rules of some type?  I am so lost!

Welcome back home, brother. Now... Can we get that damn game in?  :P

And follow Kol's directions, and see the light.

Oh goodness, thank you for the information!  I figured it would be in there, but wasn't sure.  That is going to be an expensive purchase I can tell you that!  Any sources for download anywhere?

1000heathens!  Man, I am still away unfortunately.  I will not be back until sometime in Feb I think.  I am just thinking ahead!  When I get back we will definitely have to get a game of some type in.  I have a very small Chaos Space Marine (of the Nurgle kind) force put together and partially painted.  I would be glad to get a game in.  Just have to figure it all out, the logistics of it all!

To the rest, I have always been a Night Lords fan, loved ADBs rendition of them!  Hopefully, I can give them some justice in regards to how I would convert/paint them up. 

Any opinions on how I should start?  Think small, I don't want to purchase tons of stuff and just let them sit.  So I figure working up in increments would be a good way to go.

Looked at the Night Lords Raptor pack, looks intriguing.  Took a look at some troop choices as well.  That MkIII stuff looks awesome.  I would figure that during the Heresy, most of the troops in the beginning would have a more uniform look, as opposed to a mixture of different versions of armor.  Would that be the case?

I figure I could start with a unit of 5 MkIII style troops, 5 Terminators, and a unit of 5 of the NL Raptors. 

At the beginning, the "standard" Astartes would definitely look uniform. And later on as the Heresy would stretch out, supplies thin and resources dwindle, the armors would become more and more varied as each Astartes added his won touch while scavenging whatever parts he could.

Oh goodness, thank you for the information!  I figured it would be in there, but wasn't sure.  That is going to be an expensive purchase I can tell you that!  Any sources for download anywhere?

1000heathens!  Man, I am still away unfortunately.  I will not be back until sometime in Feb I think.  I am just thinking ahead!  When I get back we will definitely have to get a game of some type in.  I have a very small Chaos Space Marine (of the Nurgle kind) force put together and partially painted.  I would be glad to get a game in.  Just have to figure it all out, the logistics of it all!

To the rest, I have always been a Night Lords fan, loved ADBs rendition of them!  Hopefully, I can give them some justice in regards to how I would convert/paint them up. 

Any opinions on how I should start?  Think small, I don't want to purchase tons of stuff and just let them sit.  So I figure working up in increments would be a good way to go.

Well...technically you can get just massacre and do a smaller army but it would be limited in scope.

The night lords have a special rite of war (these are somewhat unique to the Horus heresy game) that let's them mess around with the force organization chart.

It's called terror tactics and you have to take 3 minimum squads of NL terror squads, which are awesome and point heavy. You can then fill up the remaining points of whatever army you want to do with NL raptors, who hit like a wall of bricks and are also point heavy.

After an Hq choice, the 3 squads of terror guys and maybe a squad or two of raptors, you will have 1500 points to play with easily. It's a low model count, so easier on the wallet, but still plays really fun and only really needs the massacre book.

You will still need betrayal to understand most of the things and get all the units, but I'm sure you can skid by with picking up tidbits over the internet or from your friends.

If you want a quick overview of all the units and some of the special rules in betrayal, look here http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Space_Marine_Legion_List_(30k)

I know it's 4chan haha but it does a good overview, but a lot of childish humor and swearing in between

Or instead of Night Raptors you could have some Javelin speeders for some okay anti-armor. msn-wink.gif

Or sicarans because....well...sicaran

You can only take one with the Night Lords RoW though. Unless they've been made into squadrons? Because that'd be awesome.

If you want a quick overview of all the units and some of the special rules in betrayal, look here http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Space_Marine_Legion_List_(30k)

I know it's 4chan haha but it does a good overview, but a lot of childish humor and swearing in between

I believe your link is slightly skew-whiff, brother. Here's the full link. ;)

I believe your link is slightly skew-whiff, brother. Here's the full link. ;)

Thanks homie.

I didn't think it breached any b and c regs, but it is on the iffy side. However it is a great intro to anyone who wants to know what's so special about the legion lists

I didn't think it breached any b and c regs, but it is on the iffy side. However it is a great intro to anyone who wants to know what's so special about the legion lists

It perhaps would have been safer to not post the link but you did give appropriate warning and didn't espouse the negative aspects. ^_^

Anyhoo back to the topic at hand - it might cost you some wedge, Armond, but Massacre and Betrayal are pretty much essential for someone in your position. My advice would be to seek a second-hand copy of Massacre, tbh, considering several examples are being flogged on everyone's favourite auction website atm. 

This is going to be an expensive endeavor, but I am interested for sure!  I will peruse some sources for those books.  Thank you guys so much for all your information!  I am really interested.  I need to make a small list and follow it.  Thoughts on Contemptor Dreadnoughts for Night Lords?

I have a Space Marine Land Raider and a box of Chaos Space Marine Raptors.  What use are they in 30k?  I am thinking the raptors could just be used for bits, look for the scary pieces that would invoke fear in a population. 

In any case, I was looking at purchasing Legion Praetors, 10 Tactical Marines(MkIII, along with two sets of Night Lords Shoulder Pads, MkIII power weapon set), a set of Night Raptors, and maybe a unit of Cataphractii Terminators(unsure what weapon set). 

Thoughts?

Some interesting work in there.  I may have to refer to it.  I can probably cobble together some Night Lords for 30k from spare bits I have from my Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine stuff.  So many decision to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Going back, what would be the merits of a single Javelin?  I figure if I am creating an Advon Company, then having some firepower with some speed behind it might be great.  What about Scimitar jetbikes?

BTW, I did order the books!

Going back, what would be the merits of a single Javelin?  I figure if I am creating an Advon Company, then having some firepower with some speed behind it might be great.  What about Scimitar jetbikes?

BTW, I did order the books!

Hmm ahh, well if you take three, add this..yes...ok...little math hammer here...and here's my conclusion:

Rule of cool wins games.

Archived