++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

Final quick post on drilling out boltgun barrels - any more and we will be getting off topic for this thread. Photos here for 1.0 mm boltguns and 0.8 mm pistols. These are handier than my two pin vices. My battery powered drill is used for removing imperial emblems etc and polishing, seldom drilling.

gallery_23461_6457_156941.jpg

@Dardl - a quick time saver on drilling. No need for a fancy drill, nor even a pin vice....... just buy a small pack of 1mm drill bits and plastic rod. Push a drill bit into the rod with Green Stuff and your gun barrels will soon be fixed.

That's some great gore package on the bike!

Hey man I must try that! Drills are quite cheap on Amazon but getting them shipped to ireland can be a pain! Thanks bro! 

So I noticed earlier this month the Night Lords get a brief shout out in the flavor text for the jump pack in the SW:A pdf and now on the new warhammer40000 website the Night Lords get mentioned again alongside the World Eaters and Crimson Slaughter in the CSM faction description page.

I wonder if GW is catching on that Night Lords are a pretty popular sub-faction. It might be nice to have the Night Lords take a more central role in a campaign or dare I say it get their own unique character or an updated upgrade kit. It's all just wish listing right now, but after GWs spiel on "we're listening and giving you what you want" in the 8th Ed FAQ combined with the success of the Traitor Legions book and how the fine cast NL upgrade kit was sold out for months afterwards gives me a glimmer of hope (I think deep down I'm a follower of Tzeentch).

Final quick post on drilling out boltgun barrels - any more and we will be getting off topic for this thread. Photos here for 1.0 mm boltguns and 0.8 mm pistols. These are handier than my two pin vices. My battery powered drill is used for removing imperial emblems etc and polishing, seldom drilling.

Hidden Content

gallery_23461_6457_156941.jpg

I am very sprry, but I still don't see how this is better than working with 1mm pin vices... If you're using the above method, won't that aggravate the drilling process due to the drill bit always being slightly off-centre? What's the advantage here? I'm genuinely curious!

Bolters come at  and average of 30p a piece on the bits market. You can get a perfectly useable Pin Vice for 3GBP. That means that you can ruin a maximum of 10 bolters in your life to make that method cheaper than simply buying an infinitely more durable, handier, more accurate pin vice, that will drastically cut back on the amount of bolters you ruin. Sorry to keep on trucking about this, but that plastitube-Greenstuff drilling method to me just seems to be extremely bad hobby advice - against which I would advice any (would-be) hobbyist. 

*shrugs* to each their own. I've never done, but I've seen even good drills make bad holes before. I think it's a safe bet to say that it's all in the hands of the modeler.

Of course! Practice makes perfect. The technique you use will in time be defining of the quality you produce. But you start with the tools. (BTW I didn't mean to offend, and if Psychic_Scribe gets good results, good for him! I just think that for a beginner with no practice, it's far better to invest a small amount to get the right tools, than to save a mediocre amount on an alternative that will most likely cost more in the long run.)

I wonder if GW is catching on that Night Lords are a pretty popular sub-faction. It might be nice to have the Night Lords take a more central role in a campaign or dare I say it get their own unique character or an updated upgrade kit. It's all just wish listing right now, but after GWs spiel on "we're listening and giving you what you want" in the 8th Ed FAQ combined with the success of the Traitor Legions book and how the fine cast NL upgrade kit was sold out for months afterwards gives me a glimmer of hope (I think deep down I'm a follower of Tzeentch).

I sincerely hope they get their own faction rules! No real need for models, you can do very well with FW line.

Besides, they are one of the most complex Legions from the traitors, with atleast earlier fluff stating they did not take part in Isstvan massacre: Codex 3.5 states only Iron Warriors, Black Legion, Death Guard, Emperor's children and World Eaters participated. Or the Siege of Terra, but I can't remember where this has been mentioned. These facts were retconned later though. All in all, later fluff (rulebooks!) has generally depicted Traitor Legions in more black and white manner, while not necessarily referring to ADB novels as I have not read them. And this I think of as good justification for them getting their own faction.

I call it out now that Curze will return from self-imposed exile and Night Lords will turn "loyal" (depending what you consider to be loyal really) or atleast they will unify around the new or same old philosophy of Curze. Which wouldn't necessarily change the essence of Night Lords much at all. And this I think will mark the announcement and publishment of Night Lords faction to 8th edition. Fingers crossed!

The state of retconning is iffy at best. The 40K background has been written in such a way that virtually everything is some sort of bias or questionable historical texts. Take the Siege of Terra. Nothing said the Night Lords weren't there. So it got written in that at least some of them were there, they just didn't do anything of such significance as to gain the notice of the Imperials.

In the case of Istvaan, the Libra Historica and the Mythos Angelica Mortis state that everything happened on Istvaan III and the Traitors were the Iron Warriors, Emperor's Children, World Eaters, and Death Guard were the Legions that turned Traitor in the Dropsite Massacre. But turn around and the Emperor's Children Index Astartes article instead says that, according to the findings of the Council of Charon, Horus virus bombed Istvaan III, Fulgrim rushed to question his brother on the events, and then was turned Traitor during the discussion, and that there was no Dropsite Massacre.

But then you get the Iron Warriors' Index Astartes article which says that Horus, the World Eaters, and the Death Guard were all involved in the Massacre of Istvaan III, Fulgrim and his Legion went to try to reason with Horus, but was instead seduced by the power of the Chaos, and that the Dropsite Massacre happened on Istvaan V exactly as we all remember it with the Iron Hands, Raven Guard, and Salamanders being butchered when the Iron Warriors, Night Lords, and Word Bearers turned Traitor.

And all of these articles were not only printed in the same edition, but they were also all printed in the year 2002.

So on the one hand, you can consider them retcons, on the other hand, say what you will about the writers at Games Workshop, but they are magnificent when it comes to navigating loop holes in the background.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumor today from a guy who supposedly is quite reliable that 8th edition is coming in June. It got me thinking, Gw has been listening to it's fans of late, and it's widley known that fear can be...well...pants. In 8th wouldn't it be cool if they made fear do something great? Maybe a passive ability that would help fight space marines. 

Please...everyone estimates 8e to be around june. I myself told my friends that it'll probably around june as soon as we knew that GS3 will be 3 books with each months 1. :biggrin.:

However I wouldn't assume fear becoming much better. So many factions are either completely immune to LD stuff or have high LD. That's nothing a new edition could change just like that unless they we gonna have to roll with 3d6 for it. But even then all Space Marines and CSM Legions would be immune to fear since their army wide special rule says so.

Well the rule says immune to fear tests? Does it? I don't actually know. IF that were the case then adding a passive ability to fear that didn't require a check would bypass that. 

I guess the best we can hope for for the night lords is better night fighting rules! 

Yeah it does. And why the hell would they give fear an additional rule that bypasses the special rules that are supposed to protect against fear? That would just make things worse from a design standpoint.

I don't know, maybe because literally everyone I have ever spoken to agree's that fear is pretty bad and is almost bad enough that it could be left out of the game entirely because space marines ignore it. 

It was a question, chill your beans. 

Yeah it IS bad but adding something to a rule that lets it bypass another rule that's supposed to protect from it is just as bad. There should simply be less models with such a special rule as ATSKNF or Fearless and that's something a new Codex has to address not a new core rulebook.

Don't worry i'm chill as heck. Just explaining to you why that won't happen. :wink:

WELL LOOKEY HERE!!!

8th edition is helping fear :P 

This is fantastic news! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/new-warhammer-40000-morale/

Wow, that's a big change. I can see how this will affect things in a very cool way. I'm so, so excited for 8th Edition and I think the way GW is 'leaking' the new mechanics piecemeal really helps in accustoming to them. Big kudos to the company for which I had thorough love/hate feelings not two years ago. 

From everything I'm seeing thus far by the stated and rumoured changes (fear mechanic actually mattering, accurate deepstriking, possibly assaulting from deepstrike, combat being more brutal, etc.), warp talons look like they might become actually quite powerful this edition. Fingers crossed.

From everything I'm seeing thus far by the stated and rumoured changes (fear mechanic actually mattering, accurate deepstriking, possibly assaulting from deepstrike, combat being more brutal, etc.), warp talons look like they might become actually quite powerful this edition. Fingers crossed.

Don't worry, they still won't be able to properly assault on the same turn they Deep Strike lol.

Don't worry, they still won't be able to properly assault on the same turn they Deep Strike lol.

and theres still no guarantee that the rules that were in traitor legions will be the rules we end up with.

Actually Brothers I will moderate a bit my own enthusiasm even though, as a 2nd Ed. Veteran I read a damn lot of good points.

The official leaks are really interesting and the basic mechanics look good. Yet they are just that: basic mechanics. In their comments, GW suggest that there will be exceptions, special rules. Therefore, because the future rulebook will only be 12 pages, those exceptions will be in the Codices and consequently I want to remain cautious and wait for the whole package to see the layer of exceptions and how they will affect the basic schemes.

Celtic_Cauldron

I heard a rumor today from a guy who supposedly is quite reliable that 8th edition is coming in June. It got me thinking, Gw has been listening to it's fans of late, and it's widley known that fear can be...well...pants. In 8th wouldn't it be cool if they made fear do something great? Maybe a passive ability that would help fight space marines. 

Please...everyone estimates 8e to be around june. I myself told my friends that it'll probably around june as soon as we knew that GS3 will be 3 books with each months 1. :biggrin.:

However I wouldn't assume fear becoming much better. So many factions are either completely immune to LD stuff or have high LD. That's nothing a new edition could change just like that unless they we gonna have to roll with 3d6 for it. But even then all Space Marines and CSM Legions would be immune to fear since their army wide special rule says so.

Well the rule says immune to fear tests? Does it? I don't actually know. IF that were the case then adding a passive ability to fear that didn't require a check would bypass that. 

I guess the best we can hope for for the night lords is better night fighting rules! 

Yeah it does. And why the hell would they give fear an additional rule that bypasses the special rules that are supposed to protect against fear? That would just make things worse from a design standpoint.

I don't know, maybe because literally everyone I have ever spoken to agree's that fear is pretty bad and is almost bad enough that it could be left out of the game entirely because space marines ignore it. 

It was a question, chill your beans. 

Yeah it IS bad but adding something to a rule that lets it bypass another rule that's supposed to protect from it is just as bad. There should simply be less models with such a special rule as ATSKNF or Fearless and that's something a new Codex has to address not a new core rulebook.

Don't worry i'm chill as heck. Just explaining to you why that won't happen. :wink:

WELL LOOKEY HERE!!!

8th edition is helping fear :tongue.: 

This is fantastic news! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/new-warhammer-40000-morale/

Heh, of course a rework of the whole system works just as well. Not that we didn't see it coming since Adepticon tho. ;)