The Infernal Guard - Bikernauts

Adra'Melek

Sure. I'm pretty lazy and impatiant.

Basecoat of Mechanicus Standard Grey, Warplock Bronze and Boltgun metal (old pot).  A couple of reasonably heavy washes of Nuln Oil. Then a touch of highlighting with the basecoat paints. Followed by a few touches of highlights on the armour with Dawnstone.  The eye lens and magma lines are painted the same colours.  Basecoat of Khorne Red, then Wazdakka red, then Squig Orange (I think these last two are right, I'm not at home now and don't really look at the name of some of them, just the colour). These get smaller and smaller (either thinner lines for the magma or eye shaped for the lens). Finally a few touches of Sunburst Yellow (old pot) in the thinker areas of the magma and where the pupils would be for the eyes.  I can take a few pictures of the magma in stages if you want. I've got a Mark II to finish off tonight.

The bases are just grey dry/overbrushed with the standard tau armour colours (from when I was going to do a standard tau army colour, instead I went green...hence the green cloaks. I'm cheap and paints are expensive :))

But I'm not a great painter. Just take my time and find something that looks effective while being easy. I've searched the internet for tutorials and tips and tried to put it into practice. But these first few guys have been painted up as World Eaters and Night  Lords before this (as well as a few different versions of the current.

I did the lines before I did the tactical arrow because I was going to use transfers. But decided to just freehand it.

Regarding the symbol, I like the forward facing salamander idea. Also like the Word Bearer one for IF I do a post-coup chaos army. I,m not going to do the shaped pads for the normal guys so I just get them painted up until that point.

Why not have the Legion's symbol as a skull wreathed in flames for pre-heresy and then the horned daemon head in flames for when they fall to Khorne? It would be a simple yet effective means of showing their change in nature from men (the skull) to beasts (the daemon).

Most of a tactical squad nearly done.  Just waiting for some Death Guard shoulder pads.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/hammer_of_thunor/2014-01-26173105.jpg

Will be putting in Forge World order in tomorrow. 10 Mark III Heavy Support with Volkite Culverins. Mark III power weapon set. Then either a Predator Infernus or a Contemptor with 2x CCW.

I plan on running a talon of three with 2x CCW weapons and heavy flamers. Best use of resources? Possibly not, but I think they'll look cool and it's fits with the Khorne theme as well.  I'm going to get the Death Guard contemptor and try as do a bit of green stuffing for drake skins, etc. We shall see.

Well, I look forward to seeing some Contemptors.

Since those lava lines are signs of status and honor, I take it that the Contemptor will look positively molten in appearance? If a Tactical Marine has a crack here or there, the Contemptor looks like it is about to explode?

Actually, depending on your ability to green stuff, that could look great if you let some flow show. Doesn't have to be real, just an aesthetic appearance much like the overly baroque look to the Salamanders. The claws, for instance, could like molded lava bursting from the arm. Battle honors, banners, the like, could be molded to look like streams flowing from higher cracks. A pool on one shoulder with a skull floating in it to appear like the Legion badge. Again, not actual lava, not before their fall. But a deliberate aesthetic look. Like volcanic gods of war.

My ability with green stuff is little-none. But I'll give it a go. I might try a do a little concept art. I haven't drawn anything since school (15 years ago, copying pictures of Karandras out of a mates Eldar codex). No originality but might be able to copy a dreadnought to doodle on.

Infernal Legion Contemptor Dreadnought.

That's my day made.woot.gif

It'd be even more complete if there was a dead Astral Wolf at its feet. ;)

Which begs the question, at what stage is the Infernal Legion for the purposes of this army? During the Emperor's reign, during the Warmaster's or during the Coup and the burning of the Palatinate?

What do you mean "an"? I'm doing a whole Talon (when finances allow) :)

Regarding timing it's generally late Crusade/early Coup. So basically before Melek's ascension. So a 'normal' Legion but also well on the path to damnation. Might go for a dead marine grasped in the claws.

What do you mean "an"? I'm doing a whole Talon (when finances allow) smile.png

Regarding timing it's generally late Crusade/early Coup. So basically before Melek's ascension. So a 'normal' Legion but also well on the path to damnation. Might go for a dead marine grasped in the claws.

*twitch*blink.png

Wha-

But-

wacko.png

Nope, I'm speechless.

Do want. Do want very much.laugh.png

I love these guys...I wish I could jump on the band wagon for the alt heresy

Why can't you? There are plenty of Alt. Heresies out there for you to choose something to build from. And if there isn't one that had that particular something you are looking for, then make one of your own that does!

"Taken" as in they are somebody else's to write on in any way that would be considered canon to that alternate reality? Yes. These are stories written by specific members who were voted in to build a new Heresy from. Check out links in my signature for information.

However, this shouldn't stop you from playing around with any of it, any more than the canon Legions being "taken" by GW prevents us from playing around with them. If you like one of our Legions, go for it. If you are into anarchy or overly destructive magic, check out Ace's Astral Wolves or White Scars. If you want to see true good in your Warhammer, try Wade's Celestial Lions. I myself would delight at seeing a thread titled Recon0321's Orders of the Sword.

If none of them are to your tastes, but you want to try a force where the gene-seed and home worlds have been shifted around, head over to the original Nature vs. Nurture thread. Give us your own tale of Primarch X landing upon World Y, and let us see the results of that idea in model form.

Or check out the Dornian or Guilliman Heresy, or MordantHex's Tyrannic Heresy.

I am worried that this might be considered off-topic, so message me if you have any other questions.

Ok, here are couple of close ups on two of the standard bearer Vexilla and musician Nuncio-Vox (what can I say I've always been a WFB player).  Now these guys seem a bit 'boring' but that's kind of the point to help indicate veterans.  Now one thing I'm to really happy with are the squad markings. The big white arrow seems a bit much (I've tried transfers for the hollow white arrows and don't like them either. Now the codex markings are obviously not 'standard' at this point and I think I can get away with these guys variant, just not sure how to do it. Perhaps the position of the magma marks indicate squad type? Anyway, I'll be interested in suggestions if there are any. Still not put the order in as I've too busy at work to phone up but need to do it before Friday (voucher), or I'll just have to spend more than £250 :)

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/hammer_of_thunor/2014-01-29081623.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/hammer_of_thunor/2014-01-29081637.jpg

Best I could come up with is painted knee or shin armour.

Maybe the same charred grey as the rest of the armour for tactical, dull red for assault, orange or a warm brown for devastators and maybe the green you used on the capes for the veterans?

Just a random thought.

Also, that back banner is fantastic.biggrin.png

Archived