The Infernal Guard - Bikernauts

Adra'Melek

After many months of changing my mind over which Legion to do (Luna Wolves then World Eaters then Salamanders then Night Lords) I think I've finally made up my mind. The plan is for this to be a mainly painting and modelling project, used to develop my skills (I'm an ok but impatient painter and never really done much converting). So hopefully we'll see an improvement.

Onto the Legion of choice, some of you may be aware of the alternative Heresy that's being worked on in the Special Projects section. For more info see here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282390-alternate-heresy-community-project/

As a summary the Infernal Legion comes from an alternative universe where Primarch of the XIV Legion landed on Nocturne rather. He survived on Nocturen isolated for the first few years and doesn't have Vulkan's compassion. So basically the Infernal Legion are Death Guards with fire smile.png

Currently I've got a few models that were originally going to be loyalist World Eaters that I'm using to finalise the colour scheme. I'm going for dark ash grey armour with lines of magma that denote experience (similar to those for Hakanor's Reavers, although I didn't know of them until I had decided on the scheme).

The Legion rules are going to be counts as Salamanders (fits best and I want to play the game). I plan on all weapons being either flamer, melta or volkite where possible.

I'll post up some pictures when I've got the first models nearly done.

Just popping in to say that the models look good, and it is very cool to see some of the guys from Corax's Coup in the flesh.

And if I may be so bold, a quote that made me think of the Infernal Guard.

"It makes no difference what men think of war. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting the ultimate practicioner."

Which deity/daemon did you sell something to to be able to paint those magna lines?

Khorne of course. It's actually pretty easy. Just wack on some dark red, then thinner red, thinner orange and then bits of yellow in the thicker bits. I'm trying to do the same for the eye lens so they look like pools of lava.

As mentioned, magma cracks in the armour look awesome. Great dark armour tone. Only criticisms: Photos should be closer and with a proper background to showcase even better what looks like an outstanding paint job. Also, I know they're not finished, but the bases could do with a bit 'more' - I think black rims would look better on the bases but that's entirely subjective.

Really looking forward to seeing more. It sounds like you're going to make Mortarion the Primarch of the Salamanders though...I was under the impression that the Salamanders would retain their original Primarch (Vulkan) no matter what as he was the source of their geneseed? Just a thought. :)

Yeah the photos were done on my painting desk with an iPad. I'm hoping my photography skills will be another improvement on this project. I might treat myself to a half decent camera.

Regarding the bases, don't worry I haven't done anything with them yet, just a base coat of dark grey. I'm not sure what to do with the bases. Generic grey rubble or lava based. I personally think lava bases is too much on top of the armour.

As mentioned, magma cracks in the armour look awesome. Great dark armour tone. Only criticisms: Photos should be closer and with a proper background to showcase even better what looks like an outstanding paint job. Also, I know they're not finished, but the bases could do with a bit 'more' - I think black rims would look better on the bases but that's entirely subjective.

Really looking forward to seeing more. It sounds like you're going to make Mortarion the Primarch of the Salamanders though...I was under the impression that the Salamanders would retain their original Primarch (Vulkan) no matter what as he was the source of their geneseed? Just a thought. smile.png

I think you're getting it a little confused, it's the same legion it's just they're different thanks to their Primarch having been raised on Nocturne instead of Barabus. Here the Dusk Raiders were reunited with alt'verse Mortarion, a fun guy named Adra'Melek "The Burned Man" who re-names them the Infernal Legion after he takes charge.

Vulkan is still in charge of the XVIII, only he was raised on Prospero and is named Anubis Ensarhaddon, the Onyx Prince, and the XVIII Legion are named the Solar Tigers.

Yeah, what SanguiniusReborn said. If you're interested visit the link in the OP. I don't want to go into too much detail here as it's in flux at the moment and that is the hub. But the reason I plan on using the Salamanders Legiones Astartes rules is simply because it fits well with the theme of this XIV Legion (fire and master crafting are both Nocturne things rather than XVIII Legion stuff) and both canon Death Guard and canon Salamanders were known for their toughness.

Oh and they fall for Khorne so I'm going to go for the up close and personal approach (3 Contemptors with 2x CCW and in-built heavy flamers :))

Fair enough, hadn't read the alternative heresy in question :)

Like all alt. heresies, it has a basic 'what if?' question that the rest forms from.

What if their loyalties switched completely?

What if the first attempt to corrupt the Primarch and Legions failed?

In this one, what if the Primarchs landed on different worlds?

Links in the signature if you have an interest.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack Thunor's thread. I am really glad someone is running an alternate heresy army.

I am especially interested to see what you have in store for Adra'Malek himself, if you are willing to have a shot with the Morty model once released.

Dang, that's some nice models!woot.gif

Loving the use of green on the sergeant/centurion guy, man. It works really well with the wasteland-y grey and magma effects.

The Night Lord is looking good, too. If I wasn't so keen on the Infernal Legion, I'd be encouraging you to paint more Night Lords.laugh.png

I plan on doing a Terror Squad Kill Team for Night Lords.

Well here is the standard bearer, although I'm thinking of making him a Sergeant instead (the new Legion command squad are too awesome).BTW I can't do faces very well and I'm terrified of trying to do the eyes. I'm going to try and get another 3 Tacticals done in the next couple of days.

PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO SPACE

You can always go all helmets, even the officers.

It could go well with them being a variation of the canon XIVth, you know? Sealing themselves off from the environment?

Granted, I have always been a fan of ornate helms rather than the faces of officers. I'm the guy who looked at the Primarch models and thought how awesome it would be if they all had helms, and not just because of Fulgrim's scremo face.

I'll be putting a small (for FW) order in in the next couple if days. 10 man Mk III Volkite Culverin squad. Some power weapon type arms for the centurion. And maybe something else (Predator Infernus probably, if they're in Betrayal, can't remember).

Cormac, I'm hoping for some nifty canon Sallies helmets for the officers.

What about the forward facing Salamanders' emblem? Dragon's head, nose flaring fire?

The shift to the daemonic, horned figure could be post-Heresy.

Or just slap on some canon Word Bearers' flaming daemon heads?

Edit: Oh, and looks awesome. smile.png

Edit the 2nd: One thing that make it look even cooler, though, is if the molten line on the right shoulderpad went through the arrow.

I did the lines before I did the tactical arrow because I was going to use transfers. But decided to just freehand it.

Regarding the symbol, I like the forward facing salamander idea. Also like the Word Bearer one for IF I do a post-coup chaos army. I,m not going to do the shaped pads for the normal guys so I just get them painted up until that point.

Archived