The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

Yea, looking at that, the Fortune does seem to fit the Legion better, with some interesting implications for the effects of the geneseed on personality - that attack on the Tyrant's palace & why they did it.
You may need to rework what you wrote about the Primarch's personality then, to make him closer to the description given.

That link is very helpful =D

I was toying with doing up the XI Legion but I couldn't come up with anything beyond a culture to base it on.

I would Absolutely love to see more lost legions on the board. It's lonely being redacted. 

Yea, looking at that, the Fortune does seem to fit the Legion better, with some interesting implications for the effects of the geneseed on personality - that attack on the Tyrant's palace & why they did it.

You may need to rework what you wrote about the Primarch's personality then, to make him closer to the description given.

Thanks for the input, part of the reason I haven't gotten around to the Primarchs personal story (or his fall) Is because I've been dancing with uncertainty. When you are saying I may need to rewrite what I wrote about the Primarch, are you talking about when I was comparing him to Magnus on the post with his sketch? Because that was actually just copied directly from the link on the High Priestess.

I'll be honest, when you were describing his homeworld, it sounded more like the type of world Fortune would come from.  But that might just be me imagining Fortune with a rogue or bard-like personality and picturing his homeworld full of airships and sky pirates.  The type to seek adventure and regale others with tales of said adventures.  A real "carpe diem" kind of guy.

imagining Fortune with a rogue or bard-like personality and picturing his homeworld full of airships and sky pirates.  The type to seek adventure and regale others with tales of said adventures.  

You know, when I was planning out Madrigal, I was thinking more of monasteries high in the mountains, nothing like this. But the imagery of a Primarch living in a world like Madrigal the way you're imagining it sounds so much more enrapturing!

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for on B&C, collaboration.  You sir are getting a character important to the Legions history named after you.

imagining Fortune with a rogue or bard-like personality and picturing his homeworld full of airships and sky pirates. The type to seek adventure and regale others with tales of said adventures.

You know, when I was planning out Madrigal, I was thinking more of monasteries high in the mountains, nothing like this. But the imagery of a Primarch living in a world like Madrigal the way you're imagining it sounds so much more enrapturing!

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for on B&C, collaboration. You sir are getting a character important to the Legions history named after you.

There is no reason why you can't have both. After all, a world dominated by a single, all-encompassing theme or class of people would seem rather flat. You could have a class of sky pirates who avoid authority and have overly heightened legends about themselves. Adventurers who seek and explore ruins for treasure. Corsairs who strike passenger liners for ransom. Mercenaries. Pickpockets and thieves. Dashing, handsome rogues with rakish grins and the devil's eyes. All kinds.

And the land is littered liberally with mountaintop monasteries. Difficult to reach, maybe, but the spiritual centers of the world. When the True Storms rise, the world flees in terror to these mountain strongholds. There they free their minds from the pain of worry by prayer and fasting. When the Time of Storms passes once more, they go to rebuild whatever was lost. There is always something lost. With religious centers being a place of refuge, a place of survival, I would imagine whatever it is they are preaching is very, very closely followed and upheld by the people.

Sure, many people live on the sky islands now, anchored to the mountain tops and floating free above the storm clouds, but the whole world can't fit up there above the clouds. Not everyone lives in such luxury. Those who cannot huddle near the monasteries, for they know when the Time comes again they will not have much time to get inside. It is from these people that the legends of the sky pirates flourish. The downtrodden see it as their best means to ascend permanently above the clouds, and many have.

Well, that kinda got away from me a little bit, just meant to illustrate that Madrigal might best be served if it incorporates both ideas.

And now that I think about it, it's more than a little like a 40kified Final Fantasy XII.

As an aside, I rather like what you have got going here. You certainly chose a good time to post it here. If you had a few years ago you would have been more likely to get the bad response you were expecting. The fact that you haven't gotten such a response now shows how much better B&C has become.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for on B&C, collaboration.  You sir are getting a character important to the Legions history named after you.

Wow!  I'm honored that you liked my idea and am ecstatic about being a part of this project.

There is no reason why you can't have both. After all, a world dominated by a single, all-encompassing theme or class of people would seem rather flat. 

To be fair, what primarch homeworld isn't a single, all-encompassing theme? ;)

Sure, many people live on the sky islands now, anchored to the mountain tops and floating free above the storm clouds, but the whole world can't fit up there above the clouds. Not everyone lives in such luxury. Those who cannot huddle near the monasteries, for they know when the Time comes again they will not have much time to get inside. It is from these people that the legends of the sky pirates flourish. The downtrodden see it as their best means to ascend permanently above the clouds, and many have.

Perhaps it's just my understanding but from the initial description, it sounded like it was impossible to live below the storm clouds.  That living on the mountain tops or in air cities wasn't a luxury, it was a necessity as the devestation of the planet meant there was no where else to live.  I was thinking of the storm clouds with an Age of Sail take on the seas.  With the rolling of the ocean replaced by the constant slow rumble of the thunder just beneath the airships.  Where the clouds are always so thick and black/grey, streaked with lightning and other exotic and deadly particles, always a terrible mystery what lies beneath them, for to fly below them invites only death.

And so those who traveled the thunder turned to the stars for navigation, for above the clouds, the skies were clear, the stars and constellations shown bright.  Both beautiful and vital to survival.  Part of why I was particularly impressed with the use of constellations on the company banner, it felt like very important imagery to the chapter's history.

But again, just my own musing on a terrifically interesting project.

Ah. I thought that what made it utterly unlivable was when the planet passed through the thin tendril of the Maelstrom. Kind of like the Nocturnean period, when everyone races for the Sanctuaries until it passes. Life is still deathworld dangerous, but survivable in between. That, and I admit that I assumed that not all of the population were on the sky islands, because that would be an utterly vast amount of space needed to fit them all, or the population was a lot lower than I pictured.

But really, I was just letting my imagination run a bit on its own. Athrawes can take it, modify it, or discard it. Whatever he sees fit. :)

As for canon worlds, even those that are the most heavily themed in one direction, such as Fenris and Macragge, have other elements thrown in to even it out. Both examples, while dominantly Romans and Vikings in Space, are a fusion of many other ancient European barbaric or advanced civilizations. The Vikings in Space are also Celts in Space, for instance.

Excerpt from "Arcana-Magnificarum: A Treatise On Psykers During the Great Crusade."

The formation of the Librarium within the Legiones Lstartes was met with equal measures applause and outrage. From the earliest day of the Great Crusade, astropaths and navigators have served as a necessity, oiling the cogs that keep the magnificent formation of the Imperium functioning. Sanctioning psykers for combat however, was another mater entirely. Most notable amongst those petitioning for the creation of a psyker body within the Legions was the great Primarch Magnus. Along with the Primarchs Sanguinius, Icarion and Jaghatai Khan, Magnus was able to create the foundation of the Librarius Program with those Legions willing to embrace their gifts. Interestingly, it appears that there was some degree of tension between the Primarch of the XV and II Legions on the manner in which the Librarius Division should take. While the arguments have no official record, it is noted that a great deal of time was spent between the IX and II Primarchs during these debates, and in the end, it appears that The Lord Sanguinius a likeminded brother to Icarion, was able to sway the 'Second Son' in Magnus' Favor.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just a bit of what I am currently working on:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A3AB2AB2-CA30-490D-86CC-2E401A95F401.jpg?t=1390787474

​(Pictured above are Volta Terminators in progress)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/3C6E0E9E-9CAC-47E4-9149-BCC658FC1270.jpg?t=1390873755

(One of Sentinel Athrawes' closest brothers)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/631299E1-22FC-4BB9-BB7C-E7E53034C000.jpg?t=1390788772

(And finally, The Thunder King comes)

As it stands, I'm still struggling with deciding whether to base Icarion and the II Legion more on the Major Arcana of the High Priestess or Fortune. I would still really appreciate your input so that I can finally dive into the meat of the Primarch and his discovery.

Given what you've written concerning the formation of the Librarians, I would suggest continuing with the High Priestess.  I simply can't picture Fortune being as involved with psykers.  Not opposed to them, just simply out of his element.

That said, all the imagery, the homeworld, the color scheme, all of it would still work extremely well if you wished to switch to Fortune, which is quite impressive concerning from a personality perspective, the two seem at completely opposite ends.  The High Priestess as calm and introverted, Fortune as excitable and outgoing.

If you do continue with High Priestess, I have some interesting ideas you're free to use/twist/steal.  I pictured High Priestess as being able to look upon the warp without fear, as having developed strong relationships with the Navigator houses and (depending on when he was discovered) perhaps was heavily involved in the way the Astronomicon currently works.

The High Priestess, just because an idea for a primarch II based on fortune had been rattling around in my head for a while ; ). But this is your project and the decision is ultimately up to you. (Besides it's not like there cannot be multiple ideas for primarch II running around) 

Thanks everyone for your votes, It has been immensely helpful in deciding which Major Arcana to follow. At this time I'm starting to lean more in favor of the High Priestess. While fortune seems fantastic, I feel that having Icarion (as the High Priestess) born on a world like Madrigal can give me a wider range of options in character development. 

Additionally, due to his role in the formation of the Legion Librarius I think makes sense for Icarion to be the 3 Primarch found. This also give me a few more active years to play with considering that according to the The First Heretic, both Primarchs were lost prior to the 150th (approx.) year of the great crusade. 

Finally, I've commissioned Saint-Max to begin work on artwork of the II Legion Primarch based on the work in this log,

so thank you Undecided for introducing me to his work!

“The Legion That Never Was: The unpublished historie of the II Legion Astartes”

“Do you know what he said, Ahzek? Do you know how he greeted this momentous discovery, this key to every corner of the galaxy?”

“He knew.”

-Magnus the Red

“The Etherium is everything. A complex system rendered in elegant simplicity, it is a doorway to every star in the firmament. And we just found the key.”

-Icarion the Stormborn

With Icarions discovery and subsequent placement in command, The II Legion approached the Great Crusade with a newfound energy, a surety of purpose that could only stem from a feeling of completion at the reunification with their gene-sire. For half a century the newly minted “Thunder Legion” left in their wake a string of faultless compliances, where other legions dismantled a world and swiftly moved on, the Thunder Legion strove to leave worlds in their wake better than they had been found, worlds that joyfully championed their place in this greatest endeavor of Unification.  It was as if they could see some as yet distant future where lost colonies, now prosperous, could assume their rightful place amongst the Imperium of Man. However, as all things must, this prosperous time in the Legions history could not last. Those gifted with the keenest foresight knew that something grand and ominous lay on the horizon for the Legion and it began at a world known only as Terminus.

-------------

Light of unnamable colors in a million different spectra split the void as the 17th expeditionary fleet tore itself from the warp.  Ships the color of storm clouds arranged themselves in elegant constellations, exiting the aperture with a stately ease lesser navies could only dream of, for no finer shipmasters than the II existed within the Imperium.

Naval ratings ran carrying sealed orders as officers at their posts calmly awaited the news of the first active system scan. Even the professional bridge officers of the II couldn’t hide an excited glint in their eyes for he imminent campaign. All of them had heard the news that the muster orders came at the behest of the Emperor himself.

As the first recon flight made contact, none were surprised by what was waiting for them in the shadows of the 4th planet. The Imperator Somnium; A void-worthy continent rendered in gold and brass, built by loving hands in adoration of a being who could only ever be known as the Emperor.

No sooner had word of the Emperors flagship arrived, than the II Primarch made his presence known to the great bridge crew. He strode into the Strategium with a boundless enthusiasm that was infectious, for none could look upon Icarion without being caught up in his magnetism. It was magical, as if their own desires were made flesh in the form of the demi-god that now walked amongst them.

With a camaraderie that was entirely at odds with his appearance, Icarion gently slapped the back of his Master of Communication.

“Master Bowden, when you are able, let my father know that I await his summons.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the next few updates, the background will take the form of a series of Serials detailing one of the most important events in the Legions history. I know that for the time being I have skipped the Primarchs early history on Madrigal and I promise that I will flesh it out. But I have been itching to put into words the even that shapes the legion.

Additionally, I've been working on a tweaking a few things with the models  and Am using a new lightsource for taking pictures so we'll see if the quality has improved a bit. I have already finished so you should finally start expecting some new models in the form of the rest of the Tactical squad, the Volta and maybe even some of the New Mk II & III command squads which I have just ordered.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A0AF1C3A-B366-4489-9B9A-801AF2F3CD61.jpg?t=1391055606

(First, a group shot of the currently fished Tacticals including one that I am still working on.)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/505F2093-E844-4185-9394-68CB2CBE0090.jpg?t=1391141351

(More progress on the Volta, details like the storm's Eye sigil on his knee.)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/FE3BAC77-0DB7-4CDE-878F-340F221CB7F1.jpg?t=1391141222

(Finally, I tidied up a bit of the sloppier paint work on Athrawes and decided to change his cloak clasp. While I liked it, it just seemed to extravagant, and so have opted for simpler Triangular buttons.)

This is a very interesting thread. Like others have said before, bold choice and it looks like it is paying off for you. I was wondering, what other legion specific units are you planning on creating? Some kind of hover landraider would be awesome (although I guess that is just a stormeagle) Still, I would interested in hearing you thoughts.

This is a very interesting thread. Like others have said before, bold choice and it looks like it is paying off for you. I was wondering, what other legion specific units are you planning on creating? Some kind of hover landraider would be awesome (although I guess that is just a stormeagle) Still, I would interested in hearing you thoughts.

A hover land raider would be, um, wow haha. (Cool Idea, no idea how to execute it)

However, I have been thinking about other legion specific units. My first thought was some form of assault squad variant, maybe a unit of lower ranked Volta in power armor and jump packs.  

The other Idea I have been playing around with is an arcane variant of the landspeeder mounting a BIG gun, maybe some manner of Volikte weaponry.  I think it might be interesting for the legion to have some unique anti-grav vehicles as relics left over from the time of the Thunder king.  

I would actually be really interested in hearing what the community thinks would make awesome and appropriate legion specific units. 

From the modelling perspective, it could be cool if many troops had the Librarian helm. Visually represent the innate psyker talents they might have.

That is, if the whole High Priestess/Alternative Magnus thing extends to the Legion itself.

I see it as being more quiet use, rather than the flashiness of the Thousand Sons. More internalized, I guess. Doesn't add to the rules at all, just adds to their over all image.

Just a thought.

From the modelling perspective, it could be cool if many troops had the Librarian helm. Visually represent the innate psyker talents they might have.

That is, if the whole High Priestess/Alternative Magnus thing extends to the Legion itself.

I see it as being more quiet use, rather than the flashiness of the Thousand Sons. More internalized, I guess. Doesn't add to the rules at all, just adds to their over all image.

Just a thought.

This idea is pretty cool, and I had a few spare Grey Knight torsos lying around so I decided to give it a try on the next four Legionaries. 

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/1FEC6CF7-6FB2-4451-9433-DC3B6C7A1CA0.jpg?t=1391369505

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A7604165-8D6F-491A-8E87-EA80B6B85E21.jpg?t=1391283168

I kind of like it, it gives the line Astartes a little bit more gravitas. I also like how it does detract too much from their overall silhouette.

That being said I don't think this should be every legionary kind of thing, maybe one in two or three. If it works out, I might have to go back to Sentinel Athrawes and give him one as well.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts board. Yay or Nay?

Archived