Traitor World Eaters 2000 points

Bloodspitter

Hi all,

Looking into horus heresy and after reading betrayer decided the world eaters were for me...

However, after deciding that all 3 mark IV bundles (assualt, tactical, heavy support), apothecary set and a rampager squad for a centurion and sergeants sounded good I am not sure what to spend the last 295 points on. Here is the current list...

+++ World Eaters Basis (1705pts) +++

+++ 2000pt 30k Horus Heresy (Betrayal & Massacre) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

30k Horus Heresy (Betrayal & Massacre) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (105pts)

* Kargos Bloodspitter - Legion Centurion

Primus Medicae

Artificer Armour, Heavy Chainsword

+ Elites + (90pts)

*2 x Legion Apothecary (45pt)

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades, Narthecium, Power Armour

+ Troops + (870pts)

* Legion Assault Squad (430pts)

(Legion Astartes)

* Legion Assault Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack, Power Maul

* 19x Legion Assault Space Marine

19x Bolt Pistol, 19x Chainsword, 19x Frag and Krak Grenades, 19x Jump Pack, 19x Power Armour

*2 x Legion Tactical Squad (440)

(Fury of the Legion, Legion Astartes)

* 14x Legion Space Marine

14x Bolt Pistol, 14x Bolter, 14x Frag and Krak Grenades, 14x Power Armour

* Legion Space Marine Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Sword

+ Heavy Support + (640pts)

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (210pts)

(Legion Astartes)

Flak Missiles for Missile Launchers

* 4x Legion Space Marine

4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), 4x Power Armour

Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword & Nuncio-vox, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (235pts)

(Legion Astartes)

* 9x Legion Space Marine

9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Frag and Krak Grenades, 9x Heavy Bolter, 9x Power Armour

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword & Nuncio-vox, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (220pts)

(Legion Astartes)

* 4x Legion Space Marine

4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Lascannon, 4x Power Armour

Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword & Nuncio-vox, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

As always, c & c to your hearts content. :)

Welcome to the B&C!  To start with, though, I'd suggest you go in and edit your post to remove the upgrade-by-upgrade point totals.  Listing the total cost of a unit is alright, but breaking it down into the cost of each upgrade is frowned on.

I'm actually in the middle of work, so I can't really go too in depth, but what strikes me first is that the only thing you have that can deal with AV14 is the heavy support squad with lascannons.  At 2k points, you pretty much have to be counting on an even chance of seeing a Land Raider or Spartan.  Or a Lord of War with AV14 front (Cerberus/Typhon/Malcador with flare shield).  It's interesting to see a lascannon-armed squad (I usually rate them as too expensive for their firepower/fragility), and if you really like it I would keep it... but you're gonna need more than that.  At least squeeze in some meltabombs somewhere.

ETA: And the costs for your Missile Squad with flak missiles is incorrect.  That loadout is 210 points.

Welcome to the B&C! To start with, though, I'd suggest you go in and edit your post to remove the upgrade-by-upgrade point totals. Listing the total cost of a unit is alright, but breaking it down into the cost of each upgrade is frowned on.

I'm actually in the middle of working on a commission, so I can't really go too in depth, but what strikes me first is that the only thing you have that can deal with AV14 is the heavy support squad with lascannons. At 2k points, you pretty much have to be counting on an even chance of seeing a Land Raider or Spartan. Or a Lord of War with AV14 front (Cerberus/Typhon/Malcador with flare shield). It's interesting to see a lascannon-armed squad (I usually rate them as too expensive for their firepower/fragility), and if you really like it I would keep it... but you're gonna need more than that. At least squeeze in some meltabombs somewhere.

Thanks, post has been edited (I used battlescribe and just copy pasted).

The lascannon squad comes as part of the legion HS bundle and I threw them in for the heavy fire. Melts bombs are something I don't usually consider adding (usually play 40k chaos word bearers) because I can usually put the points to better use but in this case I need to somehow up the total :) I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible (hence the bundles) and have considered both breachers and tac support but you need to boxes of breachers per squad and tac support doesn't strike me as very useful. Termies or a predator perhaps?

In 30k there is a prevalence of Armored Ceramite, which really cuts down the usefulness of meltaguns.  So, to deal with AV14 you need things like demolishers/medusas, lascannons, meltabombs (armorbane isn't affected by armored Ceramite), Sicarans (Venator or standard, either is fairly dangerous), lasdestroyers (on rapiers, vindicators, or spartans), or chainfists.  If you're planning to play mostly 40k opponents and know you won't be facing AV14 often/at all, then feel free to skimp on it.

In 30k there is a prevalence of Armored Ceramite, which really cuts down the usefulness of meltaguns. So, to deal with AV14 you need things like demolishers/medusas, lascannons, meltabombs (armorbane isn't affected by armored Ceramite), Sicarans (Venator or standard, either is fairly dangerous), lasdestroyers (on rapiers, vindicators, or spartans), or chainfists. If you're planning to play mostly 40k opponents and know you won't be facing AV14 often/at all, then feel free to skimp on it.

Thanks, I have changed the points value for the ML heavy support squad.

I didn't think about chainfists, that may be how the last few points are used up...

Here we go...
1985pts/2000pts

+ HQ + (115pts)

* Kargos Bloodspitter - Legion Centurion
Primus Medicae
Artificer Armour, Power Sword, Meltabombs

+ Elites + (330pts)
*2 x Legion Apothecary (45pt)

Legion Cataphractii Terminator Squad (240pts)
Sergeant - Twin Lightning Claws
2x Combibolter/Thunderhammer Terminator
1x Power Maul/Autocannon Terminator
1x Lightningclaw/chainfist Terminator

+ Troops + (875pts)

* Legion Assault Squad (435pts)
(Legion Astartes)
Artificer Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack, Power Maul, Meltabombs
19x Bolt Pistol, 19x Chainsword, 19x Frag and Krak Grenades, 19x Jump Pack, 19x Power Armour

+ Heavy Support + (640pts)

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (210pts)
(Legion Astartes)
Flak Missiles for Missile Launchers
* 4x Legion Space Marine
4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), 4x Power Armour

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (235pts)
(Legion Astartes)
* 9x Legion Space Marine
9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Frag and Krak Grenades, 9x Heavy Bolter, 9x Power Armour
Bolt Pistol, Chainsword & Nuncio-vox, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

* Legion Heavy Support Squad (220pts)
(Legion Astartes)
* 4x Legion Space Marine
4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Lascannon, 4x Power Armour

15 points left over, heretics. What can we do with that?

A Power sword for an apothecary, perhaps?

Well, I'm done with work for the evening, so let's see. A 2k point World Eaters list that makes use of entire kits that are available on the FW site and staying WYSIWYG.

So, that's 30 tac marines to work with, 20 assault marines, and 20 heavy weapon marines, along with 30 bolters, 10 heavy bolters, 5 missile launchers, 5 lascannons, 20 bolt pistol/chainsword arms, 10 meltabombs, 4 spare bolt pistols, 2 hand flamers, 2 plasma pistols, 3 lightning claws, 3 power fists, 1 heavy chainaxe, 1 thunderhammer, 1 power maul, 2 power axes, and a handful of swords/sabers/gladii.

I think you've done a lot of the logical layout for this, breaking the squads up into even numbers. But their weapons might be improved a bit. That Cataphractii squad, in particular, you will have trouble making it WYSIWYG without buying several weapon kits. Aside from the Lightning Claw/Chainfist terminator who is plain illegal.

To that end:

Centurion
-Chaplain Consul, Crozius Arcanum (Power Axe), Jump Pack, Meltabomb, Refractor Field, Artificer Armor

Apothecarion
-2 Apothecaries

Contemptor-Mortis
-2 Twin-linked Lascannons

Legion Tactical Squad
-15 Members, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Meltabomb, Powerfist

Legion Tactical Squad
-15 Members, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Meltabomb, Powerfist

Legion Assault Squad
-19 Members, 2 Power Swords, Sergeant with Meltabomb, Power Axe, and Artificer Armor

Legion Heavy Support Squad
-5 Members, 5 Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles, Augury Scanner

-10 Members, 10 Heavy Bolters

-5 Members, 5 Lascannons

2000 Points.

I don't really know what you were trying to do with the Primus Medicae Centurion. You already had Apothecaries for the tactical squads, he didn't have a jump pack to go with the assault squad, and he had melee weapons that would go to waste if he was with the heavy support. The Sacred Trust special rule is moderately useless. A Chaplain with the Zealot special rule will be a lot more useful for making sure your assault squad doesn't break and fall to pieces + giving them an even more devastating charge. I've reduced the assault squad to 19 men to make sure you have a spare body and jump pack for making your Chaplain/Centurion. The Crozius Arcanum in 30k can be any power weapon type, not just a maul as it is in 40k. So, I have specified an axe here. I think the Contemptor-Mortis is an all-around awesome unit, and there is one with World Eaters iconography available. The Apothecaries can be stuffed into your Tactical or Heavy Support Squads as needed, depending on your deployment/mission. I think having the 5th heavy weapon in there is much more important than having those nuncio-voxii, considering you don't have any artillery or deep strikers. With the mediocre leadership of the Legiones Astartes, you can't just sacrifice your sergeants to the first incoming bullet, so you might as well give them a gun, too. The power swords in the assault squad could be mauls if you prefer (you seem to have a predilection for power mauls?), but I would keep the AP2 weapons on the sergeants.

This list can be constructed WYSIWYG with:

1x Apothecary Set
1x Tactical Squad
1x Assault Squad
1x Heavy Support Squad Set 1
1x World Eaters Legion Contemptor Dreadnought
2x Contemptor Pattern Lascannon

Total cost: 488.5 GBP + S&H

Thanks kitwulfen, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for :)

Didn't think about the wasted apothecary, the centurion was supposed to represent Kargos Bloodspitter, thePrimas Medicae of the 8th legion. Not generally a big fan of power fists due to initiative probs, but I'm going to generally try not to get my sergeants into challenges unless there is someone better to cover for.

I am trying to do this for as little as possible as well as maintaining fluffiness and a chaplain doesn't sit quite right with me. I'll see how it goes though. Thanks heaps (a lot) for the help :)

Ah, didn't realize that Kargos was a specific character you were trying to portray.  Well, in that event, just swap Chaplain for Primus Medicae, change the powerfists on the tactical sergeants to power weapons, and then you've freed up enough points to keep the power weapon on the Centurion.  You'll need to find some Apothecary bits somewhere.  Maybe try to get the Narthecium from the Space Marine Command Squad sprue, and then use one of the right-handed power weapons out of the FW assault squad set?  Zealot for the squad may be a little better from a damage dealing/not running away like a bunch of little girls standpoint, but having FNP in the assault squad is also a huge boost.  If he's not supposed to have a jump pack at all, just drop one of the Apothecaries, go 20 guys in the assault squad, and stick Kargos into one of the tactical squads instead.  Extra points can be soaked up by giving the assault squad more toys.

It's not quite as bad as it seems.  I think the only set they're taking down that you were going to use was the Heavy Support set.  If you could get that before the 31st, you'd be fine in that regard.  If not, you could still buy all that stuff separately, or just rework your heavy support entirely.

Yeah just has a look on the Facebook site the legion specific bundles and heavy support squads are being taken down... Saving for a trip so and can't afford to buy on now let alone b4 the 31st... I think the heavy support will have to be reworked which might solve the issue of the 50 points left I have...

How about this: if you're planning on playing friendly games, why not google 'drop pod template' and build a few? Infantry-heavy WE like drop pods.

I had a look at some templates and I noticed that the all used plasticard or something similar - not something you can buy in nz... However on the page after the drop pod rules/Wargear in betrayal it show a pod that looks similar to a GW one... Thoughts?

Considering I will not be able to utilise the heavy support squads I have this as my current list...

Primus Medicae, Artificer Armour, Meteor Hammer

1x Vanilla Apothecary

Cataphractii Terminator Squad
Sergeant - Twin Lightning Claws
2x Combibolter/Thunderhammer Terminator
1x Power Maul/Autocannon Terminator
1x Plasma Blaster/Chainfist Terminator

* Legion Assault Squad

(Legion Astartes)
Artificer Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack, Power Maul, Meltabombs

*2 x Legion Tactical Squad

Coming to a total of 1280 points.

I have considered a Caestus Assault Ram, Legion Breachers, Basilisks and so far, while all look awesome, I don't think anything would match the 122 pounds for 650 points awesomeness that the heavy support squad was. Thunderhawks are WAY out of my price range for a single model. Angron has also crossed my mind as he regularly fights in the same battles as Kargos. Not sure who to put him in with though....

PLEASE C&C ESPECIALLY YOU KITWULFEN YOU HAVE BEEN A GODSEND! 8)

I'm not a godsend, I'm just bored and procrastinating when I should be working.  Well, actually, I'm on my dinner break right now.  Definitely don't take any of my opinions and advice as the word of god.

But more on topic, I think the application you are using to put together these lists is really wrong (or are you just trying to use all the bits you can see in the Special Weapon pack on the FW site?), as far as terminator squad wargear goes.  You can't have an autocannon and plasma blaster in only a 5 man squad.  I'm also not sure what your fascination with power mauls is, they're like my least favorite power weapon.

All in all, that heavy support bundle only saves you 18 GBP over buying things separately.  If you wanted to still do the army I'd specced out (or close to it), it's still within your reach assuming you were prepared to drop around 500 GBP on an army in the first place.  You could actually save money, if you went 2 squads of 5 lascannons and 1 squad of 5 missile launchers, dropping the squad of 10 heavy bolter guys entirely.  The points work out the same, but you're buying 5 fewer guys and 5 fewer weapons, so overall you're saving 17 GBP over the bundle.  I'm not really sure I'd recommend that, though.  Lascannon-armed heavy support are incredibly points-dense and not terribly difficult to kill off.  On the other hand, ten lascannons.

As a quick point, the Tactical Squad set saves you 20 GBP over buying everything individually, and the assault squad saves you 16 GBP.  So, before you commit to any army choices that you just plain don't like, ask yourself if the savings from these bundles is worth any compromises you make because of them.

Now, building towards 2k points, 3 big, strong scoring units is a good way to start, and the core of 30 tacticals and 20 assault troops offers you some good options for holding nearer objectives and trying to take a further away one.  I would really recommend that you keep the meltabombs on the tactical sergeants, regardless of if you give them a power sword, maul, axe, whichever.  It's cheap insurance.  You've also got your HQ sorted, to an extent.  It's a Primus Medicae, at least.  IMO, if you're doing Apothecaries he should be given a jump pack and joined with the assault squad, since neither of the normal Apothecaries can take jump packs.  But if you only want to do one Apothecary and the Primus Medicae, and put each one into one of the Tactical Squads (instead of an Apothecary in each tactical squad and the Primus Medicae in the assault squad) that works too.

The other option is that you take the Primus Medicae in terminator armor.  Apothecaries normally can't take terminator armor and can't join terminator squads, but the Primus Medicae can.  So if you're dead set on taking this squad of Cataphractii, then you should consider a few things:

A squad of Cataphractii is primarily a melee squad.  They just don't have much shooting available to them, their strength is in punching people.  And they're slow.  And purposeful.  Mostly slow.  So if you're footslogging a scary melee unit slowly across the table, your opponent is going to pour their fire into that squad.  Not terribly bueno.  So, attaching a Primus Medicae to the squad, even if he's not in terminator armor, can make sure they get to the enemy with enough fight left in them to do some damage.  Otherwise?  If you're going to take a Cataphractii squad, take them in a transport.

As for their armament, I think you're going to be better served with the Cataphractii Power Fist Set or the Cataphractii Power Axe Set.  The former has a chainfist, 4 power fists, and a sword (I'd probably go 4 fists and 1 chainfist in this case).  The Power Axe set has these power-chain-axe things that look really brutal, and are suitably world-eater-themed.  If you don't like Unwieldy weapons, I dunno what to tell you, but if there is any place to put them it's on Cataphractii.  They're the ones who are going to survive long enough to use them.  That special weapon pack will lock you into this loadout:

2 Dual Lightning Claw

1 Support Weapon and 2 combiweapons, with the option of 1 chainfist, 1 maul, 1 sword, and 2 THammers to spread between them.

I don't really like the dual lightning claw option, it's pretty expensive (points-wise) for what you get.  You're basically paying 10 points and all your ranged potential (what there is, at least) for +1 attack.  The rest of the options are kind of eclectic.  The squad can still do damage, it's not like you're arming them with pillows, but they're going to be more expensive than they need to be to get the job done.  If you aren't taking all fists/axes, put a grenade harness on the sergeant.  It's doubly important since you're footslogging.  What good is taking a maul and 2 pairs of LCs and then striking at I1 cause you have no grenades?

If you want to go the Angron route, then I think the best use for him might be to take a big squad of Terminators, attach him and your Primus Medicae to it, and then hammer that into the enemy.  Taking a Spartan for them to ride in might not be a terribly bad idea, either.  It would definitely get them there faster, but it will literally be over 1/3 of your army tied up in two models.  After taking all that, you might need to just drop some of your troops so you have something to cover your terminators and Angron as they march/ride into the enemy's front line.

I know all about procrastination... ;) not sure what you mean by lightning claws and power mauls striking at initiative 1 without a grenade but for now I shall take your word for it...

I have 2 questions...

Would terminators not slow Angron down?

And would the aforementioned Caestus Assault Ram come in handy if that were the case?

Isn't the Internet great?

If you charge a unit that is in cover and you don't have frag grenades, you strike at I1.

The Terminators would slow Angron down a bit while footslogging, but the general idea with them is that they would act as both backup while he's in combat and as a big pool of 2+/4++ saves around him to make sure he doesn't get focused down by a squad of missile launchers before he can get across the table.  You could take Tartaros suits instead, and they wouldn't slow him down.

I don't think that a Caestus can actually carry Angron.  Per the FAQ, the Caestus can only carry models in power armor, artificer armor, and Terminator armor, and that each Primarch entry will state what kind of armor a Primarch is clad in.  Now, Horus' armor says it is modified Terminator Armor, Fulgrim's is modified artificer armor, and Mortarion's is modified power armor.  Horus and Mortarion both count as Very Bulky, though, and so they do not benefit from the Caestus' ignoring the Bulky rule (it does not ignore all variants of Bulky, just Bulky).  Angron, though, has modified 'gladiator' armor, which is neither power, artificer, or terminator armor.  Likewise, Ferrus Manus' Medusan Carapace and Vulkan's Draken Scale are not any of those three, Curze and Lorgar both wear modified artificer armor.

GW Pods are definitely legal, I think color was just recommending building them from templates to save some money.  If you're going to go with a Drop Pod list, you'll have to take a Praetor and use the Orbital Assault Rite of War.

Yes, I was thinking cardboard plus some modelling skills :) A friend of mine did just this for his 40k Space Wolves and the only downside is that the hatches don't open. Yes, you'd need a Praetor, but you could deep strike your Terminators with this Rite of War.

A 5 man Terminator squad packs a punch in melee, but their firepower is negligible, so maybe go all-melee Red Butchers for a similar amount of GBP? I don't remember the rules and don't have an access to the books right now, but it says on FW site 'twin Power Axes and twin Chainfists on the sgt'.

@kitwulfen: is it somehow possible to put Angron into a drop pod (of any type)?

Some great info on here, reading with interest :)

With regards to the FW bundles, my two pennies worth - it's nice to save money, but if you aren't getting the right options or optimal gear, you won't be saving in the long run.  The idea of HB and LC's for the heavy squads don't seem worth it when they are sub-par to other options for different reasons.  If it was 10 Missile Launchers and 10 AutoCannons, or even the Volkites, I think you'd have every bit the reason to get the package.

Mixed termie weapon seems a little un-directed, and the power maul seems off.  But the lightning claws, despite the price or efficiency, at least they fit the bill of cool factor ;)

Here's 1930 points... I now have the same problem I started with - where do the extra points go? I feel a distinct lack of AV14 killers but I'm sure the Termies could help...

+ HQ + (110pts)

* Kargos Bloodspitter - Legion Centurion - 110pts

Primus Medicae

Artificer Armour, Meteor Hammer

+ Elites + (435pts)

Legion Apothecary (45pt)

5 Terminators 205pts

Chainfist Srgt

All powerfists

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Chainfist - 185

+ Troops + (875pts)

* Legion Assault Squad (435pts)

(Legion Astartes)

+Fast Attack+

(205pts) - Legion Jetbikes - 5 men

+Heavy Support+ (305pts)

Caestus Assault Ram - (305pts)

EDIT - Thanks for all the great feedback! :)

Well, if you're looking for points to spend, you can throw meltabombs on the Tactical sergeants and on the Primus Medicae.  Your Contemptor could have some better/different weapons - stock, they only come with a TL Heavy Bolter.  There is also not a Chainfist model for the Contemptor, so if you're trying to adhere strictly to WYSIWYG and what you can get off the FW website, you're going to be disappointed in that regard.  I don't think it's a terribly big loss, however, as that extra D6 of armor pen isn't quite as important when you're already hitting at S10.  I would go ahead and give the Contemptor a TLLC or Kheres-Pattern Assault Cannon and just a normal DCCW (you can upgrade its inbuilt weapon as well, if you're just floating extra points).

You could also bring a Contemptor-Mortis instead, to help you control the skies.  It's actually cheaper, points-wise, so it doesn't exactly help with the idea of 'fill up these last points,' but it would help make sure that you can threaten any flyers that come in after yours with Interceptor shots, or skyfire them down while your Caestus concentrates on delivering your Terminators/Primus Medicae (I assume they're riding in it together?  or is the Primus Medicae going into the second Tactical Squad?).  If you decide to go this way, I think Dual Kheres or Dual TLLC would fit best.  I prefer the range advantage that you get with the TLLC.

Lastly there are the jetbikes.  They do come with some special weapon options (Volkite, Plasma Cannon, and MM), and you could have one of those special weapons in a squad of 5.  So if you're looking for more anti-tank and something to sink points in, you're going to get those special weapons anyway when you but the Jetbikes.  Might as well put a MM on there, though I think the Volkite Culverin or Plasma Cannon would present less target priority confusion/fewer wasted shots.  My own very brief trial of Jetbikes left me somewhat less than impressed with them.  That could entirely be my own fault, though.  Fast and fragile things do not go well with my general playstyle.

ETA: Being armed with all blast weapons, the Caestus actually can't achieve air superiority on its own, so I think the Contemptor-Mortis might be a very good idea for you.

Archived