writers over-using phrasing

helterskelter

Lheres some mine

"the din of battle" and "smell of ichor and gore."

i supposed those are more words then phrases.

for the emperor tends tk be tedious. same with blah blah nlah corpsegod blah blah blah.

Problem is with Spartacus, as much as I love it, whenever I watch it I start talking like it and thus writing like it so all my astartes start saying things like 'sieze venemous tongue or see it hacked from mouth' or 'I have longed to see your head parted from f**king neck!'

The dialog was the worst part of that show, lol.  Just awful.

Granted, the only good part was the nudity and violence. I am still amazed I watched all of the seasons. It got so repetitive and ridiculous. 

I think at this point we have gone from overuse of certain words and phrases to nitpicking about things repeated more than once in the same book. Which, in that case, we might as well add every book and author ever to the list.

This is kind of related to the topic.

Did it bother anyone else that in The Unremembered Empire, single marines were always labeled by their Plural Legion name? (I am probably not describing this properly) As in, "The Ultramarines fired his bolter...". This might be grammatically correct, but it still distracted me from the scene.

Was this a conscious decision by the BL editors, like when the use of Astartes for single marines was stopped?

And of course, when I'm looking for a specific example, its impossible to find. Hmm. Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Brings me back to a question I've asked here before (and received no serious answers to): if you call a member of the I Legion "a Dark Angel", a member of the IV "an Iron Warrior" and a member of the Xiii "an Ultramarine", what do you call a member of the III? "An Emperor's Child"? Seems wrong.

Also, if it's being used as an adjective not a noun, using "Ultramarines" for a single marine could be correct, albeit a bit awkward given Ultramarine would serve the same purpose. There's a difference between saying "the Ultramarines captain rounded on Dantioch" as opposed to "the Ultramarines picked up his chainsword".

Archived