Making thousand sons/mark of Tzeentch work.

Thousand Sons MSU works for me. Three squads of five Thousand Sons supported by either cultists or Chaos Spawn work good and are reliable. I usually ally with daemons or load on armor to provide my adversary with a very tough army to crack, preferably AV 13 but mostly AV 12 in the form of Forgefiends, Maulerfiends and on occasion Predators. I love the Divination from daemons to boost my Thousand Sons and Forgefiend shooting, making for a very solid ranged damage. 

Overall very classic and lore friendly, 3x Thousand Sons MSU, Spawn, Horrors, Screamers, Flamers and Divination Herald... 

This list works nice against Marines, is capable against the Guard, struggles against the Eldar and reliably tackles with the Tau due to many ++ saves across the board which ignore many nasty plasma weapons. 

As for the MoT, I have fielded MoT Terminators and MoT Chaos Marines and Obliterators but all performed badly. The 4++ Terminators die as easily to their nemesis as 5++ terminators, for that 4++ helps you only against the AP 2 weapons while the true terminator killers are units that unload a ton of weak attacks and against those the bonus ++ does not help. 

If MoT was 1p on CSM I would take it. Allied tzeentch daemons can make it 3++ if you are lucky! smile.png

Tenebris, the problem with MoT on oblits is that they'll get instakilled by lascannons and such (and has always happened when I've played it on them), and that it's actually more expensive than the MoN that does more!

Indeed, exactly that and since my skin crawls to have an unit with MoN in a Tzeentch army I rather field them unmarked. 

Today I have taken my Tsons out for a stroll and I had even managed to fight well against the Space Wolves. The army performed good against marines, suffered a hell against the craftworld eldar and died to a man against the Tyranids... overall as expected. Though it is workable but not that good and neither solid. 

I too enjoy some MSU love with Tsons, usually with allied deamons. The sons blast meq apart, and the horros+herald kill others units. I usually run the sorc with a termy deathsquad, on a bike, or if im feeling really saucy with some possesed in a land raider. Usually all of the above are in less competative enviroments though as a serious list can usually smack around the sons :(

• 2 weeks later...

Best use of Thousand Sons I've found for my local meta and play style is one massive unit of 20. Ahriman as warlord and with infiltrate those 20 rubrics can be put into a really dangerous position or threaten an outflank possibility. Most enemies won't like to come near a 20 man unit of 4++ AP3 bolters.

That sounds good, Ahriman is a level 3 so can get decent spells on biomancy (I'm sorry, but the Mark of Tzeentch is effectively -1 a psychic level), and infiltrate can be good. Tau will still destroy the squad pretty easily with just fire warriors and pathfinders though.

I've run MSU units (that work), Although I miss my 5 man squads with wind of chaos in a Land Raider XD Also when I've been running more daemons than marines... I've had some success with a large 18 man unit just walking down the middle of the board... with little units of daemons doing most of the work...

If infiltrate doesn't work you can always outflank them. Having 20 rubric marines march into the enemy backfield and get line breaker plus probably a rear objective is quite nice.

P.S. By the way this is all while your obliterators march about blasting stuff and your heldrakes swoop around burning things...

He randomly manifests powers of mutation, magical fire, and foresight,

and automatically gets a Warlord Trait that is supposed to evoke

cleverness and deceit. Seems Tzeentchy to me. smile.png

I still stand by Ahriman being more Tzeentchy.

Indeed, he costs the same as a land raider yet only has a 3+ and 4++ and is only level 3.

He can actually use all his powers regardless of what he roles, so some good I guess.

Ahriman has devastating AP2 firepower within 12"! :D

Biomancy is the way to go on him (imho) and bio has lots of short ranged ap2 shooty powers, and you'll most likely roll a shooty power with tzeentch as well!

Ahriman has devastating AP2 firepower within 12"! biggrin.png

Biomancy is the way to go on him (imho) and bio has lots of short ranged ap2 shooty powers, and you'll most likely roll a shooty power with tzeentch as well!

What about Pyromancy? A big chance to get both Spontaneous Combustion which I can see working wonders to snipe squad leaders and heavy/special weapons guys. Its quite a nasty thing. ( 18'' range that, if it does not get denied, auto wounds with no armour or cover save allowed and if the model is slain it explodes with a Strength 4 AP 5 small blast. ) Also a chance for the Molten Beam which is just a melta power. But since Thousand Sons cant take those that too might be a nice boon to the army.

And its the most fluffy lore to go with the Lore of Tzeentch (since he cant take divination)

Ahriman has devastating AP2 firepower within 12"! biggrin.png

What about Pyromancy? A big chance to get both Spontaneous Combustion which I can see working wonders to snipe squad leaders and heavy/special weapons guys. Its quite a nasty thing. ( 18'' range that, if it does not get denied, auto wounds with no armour or cover save allowed and if the model is slain it explodes with a Strength 4 AP 5 small blast. ) Also a chance for the Molten Beam which is just a melta power. But since Thousand Sons cant take those that too might be a nice boon to the army.

And its the most fluffy lore to go with the Lore of Tzeentch (since he cant take divination)

Well, you don't take Ahriman to get the witchfire spells, you take him for the awesome buffs/debuffs that biomancy brings...the witchfire spells are just the "downside". If he should get a lot of firepower at least he has the option to use them all, unlike other sorcerers.

the Mark of Tzeentch is effectively -1 a psychic level

Ain't that the truth...

Have you attempted the cheaper/better Ahriman build out of BL SUPP? Basically Ahriman with an extra bound spell and better invul. Yes two bio spells but 12" nova and familiar.

the Mark of Tzeentch is effectively -1 a psychic level

Ain't that the truth...

Have you attempted the cheaper/better Ahriman build out of BL SUPP? Basically Ahriman with an extra bound spell and better invul. Yes two bio spells but 12" nova and familiar.

Though I'd miss the "lord" statline of ahriman and the black staff...

Archived