Tutorial - Capes made from tissue

• 1 month later...

I needed something to fill a gap between a couple of big guns and an armour plate on the side of a Snakebite cyboar and thought of your tutorial...

med_gallery_63428_13428_455452.jpeg

It’ll be painted up with Ork glyphs.

I think it’ll help to make the model look like it’s moving at quite some speed too.

I love how it looks, and plan to try it for banners in the army too (though I might give it another coat of watered-down PVA to stiffen it up a little).

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! What do you think of the result?

I also have a new figure to post for this. I forgot to snap any pics before it got painted, but I was in a rush for the deadline of March of Legions. Here's my take on the Exodus sniper from the XX Legion with a tissue cameleoline cloak.

http://i.imgur.com/XwXHoEl.png

I did something a little different on this one, using some heavy duty paper towel for the first layer of the cloak on his back and sides so that the outer layer of tissue would 'hang' properly. Once the paper towel was dry, I carefully laid the tissue over it, wet it down and fixed any shape issues, then brushed on the glue. :)

Is it possible to get a brief rundown on this most epic of colour schemes? Genuinely inspiring mini.

I don't remember what specific colors I used, but it was a medium grey base color and then a dark blue-green color that was most likely Coal Black from the P3 paint line was mixed into the base color for the stripes and dots. The cloak was painted grey as well and then shaded with washes and the entire figure was given a dusty appearance with pigment powder. 

I had meant to use it before, and even have a couple scouts in the middle of shaping at home, as well as a backpack banner. It worked out well with this attempt at 'true-scaling' the Captain/Marshal since the only Termie legs I had were from the DA Vets kit and made it easy to cover the prominent emblem on that leg.

As you can see, I also am attempting to make a 'shield cover' in similar manner; kind of harking back to the medieval/Crusade style. Need to prime it though.

Edited by Othniel's Blade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not to revive too dead of a topic, but after seeing this I decided to use it for my eliminators made from spare bits from the multipart kit and while it's still very WiP I think they look very good already:

0ONxmRI.jpg

ZngqWQ3.jpg

To get them to look correct I'm going to gs a smooth transition between the parts of their shoulders that have molded cloak already and probably add some buckles like the regular ones have

Not to revive too dead of a topic, but after seeing this I decided to use it for my eliminators made from spare bits from the multipart kit and while it's still very WiP I think they look very good already:

0ONxmRI.jpg

ZngqWQ3.jpg

To get them to look correct I'm going to gs a smooth transition between the parts of their shoulders that have molded cloak already and probably add some buckles like the regular ones have

How durable are they now?

0ONxmRI.jpg

ZngqWQ3.jpg

How durable are they now?
They're a bit flexible but they're strong, once I prime them I'm sure they'll get more rigid Edited by Marshal van Trapp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, Brother-Chaplain Kage said:

Adding some more pics in here, first up with my Terran Unification Era scout from the VIII Legion. Using a more advanced technique here, you can see in the first picture how I did a first layer in thicker paper towel and it helped me more easily get the shape I wanted from the cloak with the thicker material. Once it was dried and sealed, I used normal tissue on top of it. 

Em83lkI.png

Well I finally got round to trying something similar. You can see where it went wrong close up, but I think with a bit of practice and a bit of green stuff next time I could have something passable.

IMG_3454.thumb.jpeg.0dc01e5d99edea0f0811216dff581f2d.jpegIMG_3450.thumb.jpeg.eb1501187bd5718489c70ec8893e8cd1.jpegIMG_3451.thumb.jpeg.2e0f6e85a4fe76bcdd6bafd067d6f1a3.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2014 at 2:40 AM, Hyaenidae said:

BCK gave me this tutorial a while back, and here were my results. Side note, I used paper towel, which worked well. Just avoid anything that says 'Thirst pockets', unless you want a mini that looks like he's wearing a cape of bubble wrap, lol.

gallery_37532_5424_324353.pnggallery_37532_5424_262628.png

Finished product.

gallery_37532_8712_23726.pnggallery_37532_8712_242373.png

The first thing I thought when I saw the tissue is "A paper towel would probably provide a lot more substance". Now I want to try this for making DA robes on generic primaris. Maybe even using that cheap brown non-absorbent paper towel that they use in schools here in the US. That might actually give more of a heavy fabric feel.

Edited by twopounder