Retro Blood Angels

A long time ago, in a galaxy not far from here...

July 1991, a small chubby lad flicks through a friends White Dwarf issue 139 (I have the exact issue right here) looking at all the pretty pictures of tiny man dollies. His sausage like fingers turn a page, he looks at the red soldiers staring back at him 'Blood Angels' he mumbles to himself, 'hmmm they look rather cool'... *screen goes wobbly, time passes by, boy gets taller, sprouts hair in funny places, life goes on, hairline recedes and we get to 2014*

Jan 2014, a small chubby man flicks through a friends White Dwarf issue 139...

Soooooo Ive been taking stock of all the stuff Ive not got round to painting (Imp Fists and Templars mainly) and the old article caught my eye, so I have decided to hook up with my high school sweetheart, the Blood Angels again, this time with a retro twist. First I shall show you some pretty pikkies of yesteryear biggrin.png

2014-01-27+19.14.59.jpg

2014-01-27+19.15.18.jpg

2014-01-27+19.15.29.jpg

2014-01-27+19.15.41.jpg

2014-01-27+19.15.51.jpg

2014-01-27+19.16.02.jpg

2014-01-27+19.16.12.jpg

2014-01-27+19.16.24.jpg

2014-01-27+19.16.52.jpg

Pikkys aint great, took em on phone.

So Im going to recreate this army by trying to match the poses as close as I can with the current plastics, and bring some of the magic and nostalgia that got me into the hobby all those years ago, back then the Blood Angels (and every other Marine army) were pure 'Codex' so Im not sure if Ill be using the Blood Angel or Space Marne dex rules wise, but atm its all about the modelling and painting of this army, Im even going to convert the current Landspeeder into one of the 'flying chair' speeders to make everything as authentic as I can, also I may have to use the Coat 'd Arms paints to get the right shade of red as well, a lot of work on a pointless task, but the 11 yr old in me is crying for some of the 'Golden Days' of 40k, also to follow up this army Ill do the Eldar army from issue 138 (?) and build some scenery matching the stuff used at the time if I can. (If anyone has a copy of issue 138 the one with the epic stompas cover please let me know!!!)

awwww shucks, thanks guys smile.png

Ill do my best to make em look purdy

Gonna turn this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rj3WFYKP2Sg/Tqfly_fshWI/AAAAAAAACC0/B5W13z-Oe-U/s1600/1111.jpg

into this...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/1/13/76004_sm-Blood%20Angels,%20Space%20Marines,%20Warhammer%2040,000.jpg

somehow

Dont know how Im going to do the RT era dreadnought

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_v-QnkPLGATg/Sz5PsEJT3aI/AAAAAAAABK0/bY2-f7CxXuw/s800/dread_red.jpg

in the larger scale we have now, any ideas? looks like Im gonna have to sculpt the bloody thing from scratch D:

Might even slip in some second ed stuff after as well.

I will never understand the fascination some people have with the older models... They look abysmal.

For me it's a nostalgia thing. The models may not look as good, as detailed as modern ones, but they remind us of when we got into the hobby. :)

I will never understand the fascination some people have with the older models... They look abysmal.

You weren't even alive when these minis were fancy and new, you simply wouldn't get it!

Excellent idea for a project. Thankfully FW can help you out with the older marked PA these days. I reckon using a base of a Contemptor, with the heavy bolters arms, is going to be your best bet to reproduce 'Eddy'(?).

Good luck!

Anotther idea, look on Ebay, sometimes you can find old scool models really cheap.  just put in Rogue Trader and the list goes on and on.  I did my brothers Blood Angels the oldschool vermillion red also.  They look hot even if they are mostly first and second edition models.  Proof that a good paint job can turn a turd of a model into something rather nice! good luck to you!

to be fair a lot of old models are no really that bad, they just have really dated paints and painting techniques. I've painted up plenty of "Old" models and had them coming out more than jut table top quality in looks.  Even old school beakies can be made to look very nice if given some TLC and kit bash them just a tad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The old dreadnought looks a lot like a contemptor to me.

Thing is though I don't want to pay all that for a contemptor and ruin it trynna sculpt the funny 'face' on it, I might just get a RT dread and build the base up a bit to make it taller, or sculpt one... Hmmm how much do 3D printers go for now :P

Archived