+++ Lucifer's Underdogs Bi-monthly Challenge +++

Chaplain Lucifer

Fancy title eh?

In a leisure time at work I was thinking that we have many painting challenges, but not gaming challenges, so I decided to come up with one.

What is this gaming challenge all about, you ask?

Well It's about fielding DA units considered not good or just plain crap and play with them until they are made to work. During this time I've seen many people just following the heard instead of trying stuff for themselves. they forget each gaming area has it's own characteristics and what doesn't work for others might work for them. Some others just play a couple of games and don't even try the 3r, 4th and 5th games until they learn how to play with that unit.

How does the challenge works?

Every two months a unit from DA Codex is chosen. This of course will be one of the supposed less than good units from DA Codex.

Players will have 2 months to play games with the unit and report results.

When reporting results, players must submit a photo of the unit in action against opponents army to validate result.

What do you have to report? Number and details of models killed by unit and any action considered noteworthy.

After the two months results will be announced and token prizes will be awarded.

There will be prizes for most kills, most assists, survivor, Ace fighter, tank hunter, Steam-roller.

The unit chosen for this first challenge is the Nephilim Jetfighter.

Those willing to participate will have to leave a vow on this thread.

I, xxxxx of the First Legion vow to use the underdog unit xxxx in as many games as I can.

replace first xxxxx for your screen name and the second xxxx for the Underdog unit chosen.

The odds of me getting games in is not good but:

I, Brother Dean of the First Legion vow to use the underdog unit Nephilim in as many games as I can.

And I nominate Company Vets squads next...  which I dont feel is an underdog but the net angst seems to say otherwise.

Good idea but I can't join in on this as my nephilim is still in bits. And no, I won't be able to get it ready in time ;)

How about assault marines next?

I'd be willing to try when I get some time to put some games in. I got around 50 scouts I wanna dust off. people will never believe an army can field so many, fire, pinning test, repeat.

Well my second NJF is not yet mounted, but in 2 months you never know what may happen :D

(And my second LSV is yet to be painted)

Anyway I have a 1500 pts game against ork tomorrow could be the perfect occasion.

I, Master Avoghai of the First Legion vow to use the underdog unit Nephilim Jet Fighter in as many games as I can.

I really like this idea. I have Nephilim Jet fighters at the moment. So this round I will have to skip. Just a thought but what if you posted the next unit ahead of time so those of us wanting to participate could have the time to assemble/paint our unit? Then maximum games would be possible?

I'd be willing to try when I get some time to put some games in. I got around 50 scouts I wanna dust off. people will never believe an army can field so many, fire, pinning test, repeat.

I use to field an army close to 100 scouts many moons ago....

+++FLIGHT REPORT+++

Id : Night claw 1

Mission : support 5th company spearhead in charge of the extraction of a servo skull containing data about orks forces and deployment. Additionnal spearhead mission : capture ork leader.

Chaplain recommandation : DO NOT TRY TO COPY DATAS FROM THE SERVO SKULL. Give it to the closest black knight or to your chaplain.

Mission report :

NC1 encountered no enemy and manage to reach the operation theater very soon. The 1st passage allowed to limitate the effect of the orks bike passing by our right wing.

4 kills are to be reported. Unfortunately not enough to prevent the destruction of the whirlwind nearby, but enough to allow the total annihilation of the bike mob by our tactical squads few times later.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Rapports%20de%20bataille/FA7C3577-7F8B-46C2-B652-54557ECEA79C.jpg

The 2nd passage allowed to engage the big ork mob on our right flank.

The Lion is my eye and the Emperor guides my bolts since every shot made a green xenos bite the dust.

9 kills are reported after a combine shot of avenger bolter and heavy bolter.

I tried to engage the xenos flyer but did get a convenient line of sight. The xenos chose to break up. Victory was total.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Rapports%20de%20bataille/33C2A4DD-5ACD-44F2-B8A7-C4F857EE3652.jpg

+++TOTAL KILLS+++

4 orks bikes

9 orks boyz

Air kill : none

+++END OF REPORT+++

There is no luck, only the Emperor's will.

Well a very one sided game.

I hardly manage to choose for a MVP.

The splitted devastator squad managed a nice first shot

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Rapports%20de%20bataille/754DD0FC-BA47-4B4B-9A82-162E40613227.jpg

Double hit

Double penetrating hit

One cover save succeed

Roll on the table : 5 +1 (AP2)

Explosion at d6" :

Number of models hit : a lot

Wound on 5+ :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Rapports%20de%20bataille/01C07C1B-10FD-4612-AC29-965C904C485D.jpg

The knight squads managed to kill the boss retinue, the 8 survivors of the second boyz mob and grab the objective.

The chaplain killed the boss in challenge (+1 VP thanks to the Hunt traits) and a Lootas squad.

My poded tactical made something like 15 + the mek with kustom force field in one phase of shooting... Unfortunately I did not manage to tank enough shots with the tech after that, and lose the squad in CC against the survivors.

Actually, when my flyer entered the game, he found all this kills.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Rapports%20de%20bataille/B08334F0-2EE2-4395-8077-B241F1D1470F.jpg

Ironically, this insulting luck maybe explain why the nephilim didn't bring a lot : he didn't have enough targets! :blink:

I regret not to manage to get a proper LoS on the ork flyer at turn 4. I could have if there would have had a fifth turn but with only 15 boyz and one flyer against nearly 90% of my starting force my opponent logically chose to give up.

Hence a strange feeling : he could have been more decisive but I had so much luck that I could have played without... O_o

I felt like the star of the show should be the first one. I'm sure the assault marines and the vets will also make an appearence. You just have to wait. :D

Assault marines? :blink:

Well I have a nice list using 2 squads of those and they work pretty well...

Assault marines are not a problem of efficiency... It's a problem that they occupy a slot occupied by typical features of the DA like bikes and speeders... And now you have the BK...

Nice report Avoghai, although it's a pity you didn't get to do more with the Nephilim. Orks sound like one of the armies it should do well against too, but a victory is always to be celebrated.

Archived