Red Scorpions 2nd Battle Company Log

So when the new Space Marines book came out I was looking for a change from my Black Templars. I will always have a soft spot for the black, but I wanted a new challenge. When I saw the new ForgeWorld chapter tactics, I was drawn in by the opportunity to have FnP on all my Tactical squads, and who doesn't like a scorpion as a symbol? Anywho, my plan is to collect the 2nd battle company of the Red Scorpions, with elements of the 1st company as well (I have Culln already). Unfortunately I don't have any picture updates yet. New job is KILLING my hobby time. I have just finished modeling up 5 sternguard and I sprayed my 1st tactical squad grey. After I sprayed them, I realized the the grey isn't dark enough for me...I was planning on spraying a medium/light grey and then using nuln oil to darken them to the darkness I wanted. It didn't work as well as I'd planned...I'll get a pic up for y'all (yes I'm from Texas, no hatin) as soon as I can of what it turned out to be.

Now: for you Red Scorpion fans out there are you advocates of black armor or dark grey with the black field on their shoulder pads? I'm more for the latter myself, but it would be cool to get some opinions from the vets out there. Currently built I have:

Commander Culln

5 sternguard

Tactical squad 1

Thanks for reading a stay tuned, I will have some updates soon I promise!

So I have some pictures to update, gents. There is s full group shot (tac squad, sternguard and culln), a shot of the sternguard themselves and the tac sgt I tried my paint 'scheme' on. Let me know what you think:

group:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/redscorpsgroup_zpsc7465748.jpg

sternguard:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/RSstern_zpsbb8d150c.jpg

paint attempt:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/redScorpionpaint_zps74469274.jpg

Let me know what you think about the paint. How do you think I could get a more even dark grey? A darker color of spray? or another coat of wash? Thanks guys!

What color of gray did you use? Looking at the published artwork I'm thinking somethign along the lines of Primed black (or coated in Abaddon Black) followed by Eshin Grey layer. If you wanted it a little lighter, Mechanicus Standard layered by Dawnstone would work. Those are my thoughts on it.

You may be able to get away with priming black and then just using Mechanicus Standard then highlighting from there.

No I didn't layer any paint on there, I sprayed a flat light grey spray paint I got from home depot. Then I used nuln oil to wash. I am, as you suggested, thinking of priming black and spraying grey over it to give it a broader depth and then I can wash from there if I need to go there. I just need to keep experimenting and figure out what I like.

What do y'all think of the models in my sternguard squad? I wanted every model (minus the 1 static 2 hand bolter pose) to have their off hand doing something. I kept their heads off to paint separate. I figured It'd be easier to paint their white helmets and the Vet Sgt's red one separate.

What do y'all think of the models in my sternguard squad? I wanted every model (minus the 1 static 2 hand bolter pose) to have their off hand doing something. 

Blessed are the hands too busy slaying the Emperor's enemies. Idle hands are the implements of Chaos.

Nah, just kidding. However, in my opinion when you're modeling Marines with "free" hands, it is important to have a reason behind why that hand is free. If a Marine is gesturing, who to and why? If he's carrying a knife, what for? So while a hand with a grenade in it can provide a lot of implied motion and action, it can also just look kinda odd if he's just sorta carrying it. Basically, "Why are you pointing instead of killing, Marine?"  ;)

It is all going to come down to the aesthetic you're building for the army. Heroic or gritty. Artistic or realistic. I know how miserably boring the Space Marine arm poses are by default, lol.

I totally understand where you're coming from @sergeant. The guy to the left of the Vet Sgt in my sternguard (who is also pointing is combi-melta towards the ground) has an auspex in his left hand, it's not just empty or hanging out. The only guy who's hand is a bit "what are you doing?" is the combi-flamer guy. I couldn't find the pointing finger hand so I put the extended fingers hand and I think it looks kinda silly. I might go back and switch that actually, now that you mention it. 

So my buddy, who is a much better painter/modeler than me, suggested a new (darker) grey recipie for me to try. I am going to get some reaper 'shadowed stone' grey to paint over black-primed mini's, with washes just in the recesses. I'm going to do a test mini with codex grey and washing the recesses wednesday morning and see how I like that. Let me know what you think!

Archived