They are splendid mate, not much to add really.

Thank you mr. Bear!

just been browsing all your stuff i missed and once again i'm happy i took the time. the drakes and the jetbike are just stunning thumbsup.gif

Hey thanks Wicced, that is mighty wicked of you to say ;)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............That picture with all your army together... AWESOME!!, Well done fella it looks fantastic.

however I really need to know something and I hope your not going to mention an airbrush but how did you paint the raptor canopy??, that red is just what Im after for my own Raven conversion and the only other one I have seen like that is on FW's web pages.

You must tellmsn-wink.gif

Thanks Thrasius! Ask and thou shalt receive... we're here to help and share the love, mate. The canopy was painted with Tamiya X-27 Clear Red. It's a super thick acrylic paint, which means you can just paint it with a normal brush and clean the brush with water. Do NOT glue the canopy onto the model before painting. Drop the paint on the canopy thickly and spread it out, making sure no air bubbles are formed in the paint (so shake the bottle 24 hours before using and THEN open it - if you shake it immediately before painting, bubbles will appear which will dry into the paint). Then let the canopy dry. The paint will spread out fairly evenly over most of the surface of the clear plastic. Drying takes about 24hrs. If bubbles do appear (despite your preparation), clean the canopy with a tissue soaked in medical alcohol 98% and try again. Really it's time consuming but well worth the time. I've been wetblending a little X-27 Clear Orange to act as highlights near the edges, but that's optional. Hope this helps! :tu: Lemme know if you need other stuff, I'm more than happy to help out :D

Thanks man, and I've got that X-27 on my shelf picked it up a while ago thinking it would be good for blood on CC weapons.

Silly question.......... did you paint the outside or inside of the canopy?

I've done it before with Tamiya clear on the outside and a very bright (runefang) on the inside. Gives a neat reflective effect. Use it on all my dark eldar vehicles.

@ Augusutus - Looking very awesome buddy! Those hell drakes are crazy detailed.

Thanks again Augustus, Thinking about it further I expect it would be best to paint individual pains that are kept level, let it dry turn and repeat, just so it spreads and drys even across every pain.

Or is that overcautious?.

That sounds good Flint13 but I think Im wanting to see the guy (no matter how dark he will be) through the canopy kind of like the red light that goes on when military aircraft enter drop zones and such, having said that when it comes to it and I don't like I'll give your suggestion a blast, ta.

I've done it before with Tamiya clear on the outside and a very bright (runefang) on the inside. Gives a neat reflective effect. Use it on all my dark eldar vehicles.

@ Augustus - Looking very awesome buddy! Those hell drakes are crazy detailed.

Oh that's also a great idea! I'd love to see those DE vehicles. Where can we find them?

Thanks again Augustus, Thinking about it further I expect it would be best to paint individual pains that are kept level, let it dry turn and repeat, just so it spreads and drys even across every pain.

Or is that overcautious?.

That sounds good Flint13 but I think Im wanting to see the guy (no matter how dark he will be) through the canopy kind of like the red light that goes on when military aircraft enter drop zones and such, having said that when it comes to it and I don't like I'll give your suggestion a blast, ta.

I would really advice against painting different plains separately - the paint dries quite thick and I'm not sure what the edges of the plains will end up like if you paint it separately. :tu:

Nice to see some other Abhumans being forced into service for the VIII Legion. Some great painting on those Terminators, I like the skull in its pure white good contrast.

Thanks Noctum! Yeah the abhumans are of course a curse on humanity, but hey, if they instill fear in others, so much the better! ;)

That's an impressive one! Well painted and the pose is very dynamic, really nice work mate!

Thanks MrBear! Always a pleasure to have you stop by here biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIENDS!

Looks awesome.

I'm sure even you couldn't make the Charcarodons Raven Guard Contemptor look good, though. tongue.png

Haha thaks mate! I had the same association back when he was still "in resin clad". About the Raven Guard contemptor: I still don't get the dotted stripes, how these are supposedly reminiscent of 'Polynesian art/culture' and why suddenly the raven guard are based on the Polynesian culture... So I'm not going to use that one. The SoH one for sure (already have it), the IW one maybe, but not he Raven Guard one for sure.

Well at least the DA have had clear references to th native americans, with the old terminator kit - which they have completely dropped in favor of the gothic monk style lately. But raven guard as polynesians? Do they do a haka before battle or something?

Some of the best Night Lords I have seen. Awesome. If I ever move back to Europe, I would love to battle against you with my Dark Angels and alongside you with my Iron Warriors. Keep up the great work.

Replies:

@sockwithaticket: Thanks Sock! He might have stolen the butcher's cannons too ;)

@Brother Heinrich: Cheers Hainrich, yeah teh butcher cannons setup is the only shooty one I actually field in games. It yields a vehicle kill every turn - except land raiders and super heavies of course - the other day I even shot down one of those big Tyranid flyers with it. Plus it can soak up some decent firepower itself, with AV13 and a 4+ save against glancing hits. But didn't you field on in your latest battle report? How was that?

@hushrong: Haha I can totally relate to that sympathy - deep down we're all big kids :D

@Fulminate: thanks mate! I'd love to play against those sweet DAs of yours too. Europe is a big place though, drop me a PM when you're in the Netherlands, and we'll make it happen :D

• 3 weeks later...

Today I finished the Chosen squad with plasma guns I vowed for the Call of Chaos VIII event.

Hope you like!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20141213_010_zps1e038e33.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20141213_012_zps729c75c4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20141213_013_zpsd8d484cd.jpg

C&C always welcome :D

Replies!

@JeffTibbetts: Go for it dude! The contemptor is an awesome kit to pose - and you can even stretch it a little without the kit really giving you a lot of trouble. Be warned though: once you go contemptor, you never go MkIV or MkV again.

@Jeremy1391: Haha thanks man. :D

@Midnight Runner: Wow cheers mate! That is quite the compliment. :tu:

The Chosen squad is looking excellent -- and far cooler than any shooty squad should have a right to ;) I do have two small nitpicks, however:

1. Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like the rebreather guy's facial skin could do with another careful application of wash in the recesses and a couple of simple highlights to give the face a bit more definition.

2. The purity seal on the one plasma gun seems a bit distracting. Sure, it could be explained by the weapon being stolen from loyalists, or maybe the Marine applied it as a way of teasing the loyalists, or maybe he still sticks to the old custom of using oath papers like that, but in spite of all these options, it does stick out like a sore thumb -- mostly because the combination of the red seal and paper just have a loyalist feel -- maybe you could paint the wax seal black or dark grey, and the problem would be solved? Or you could apply a skin wash to the paper itself, making it look more like flayed skin?

Anyway, great job! :)

Hi KSci, thanks for the excellent feedback. I admit I am very inexperienced painting faces, so I will take your advice to heart and fix it tonight. I feel the same way about the purity seal, but it's on the bit itself and I was lazy and didn't cut it away... Your idea of black waz sounds pretty good though. I'll do both things and post pics tomorrow. 

Archived