I do think you should consider using the bone/sack cloth color as you can highlight up to white if you want to, without making it look to TS-ish.

This is an amazing thread and very inspirational. The Silent Sisters and Custodes especially caught my eye.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! I think I will go for the bone on the tabards- it's either that or recall the pre-betrayal scheme and go for a nice dark grey...

Superb, absolutely superb. The Custodes are excellent, I think the legs are fine, they certainly look a bit more elegant/sophisticated than Astartes. The Sisters of Silence are great conversions, that bolt pistol looks massive in her hands, but in a good way. It really brings into focus the relative size and power of  Legionnaire compared to a regular sized human. My favourites have to be the Death Guard though. They look toxic, nasty and very dangerous. Like the use of the Death Shroud heads and the brutal rusty hand weapons. More please!! 

Glad you like the Custodes, I think they are a bit-wasp waisted but I've always been a fan of depictions of them that show them as obviously different from the Astartes, who ultimately are meant to be the mass-market variant and so should be a bit more brutish. I love the Forgeworld bolt-pistols; personally I think they're large enough to masquerade as bolters patterened for baseline humans while still also looking distinct. I've seen several conversions that use normal astartes bolters and they always really stick out.

Im really pleased with the Death Guard and the sense of brutality they have. I'm currently working on the exact opposite for my next kill-team; refined, civilised and very fanatical members of the XVII's Vakrah Jal. I've always really liked the noble, Lorgar-inspired side of the Word Bearers as opposed to the moustache-twirlers of the Kor Phaeron and Erebus tendency, so I'm trying for the sense of honourable Paladins of Chaos...

What about a more orangy red? Links to the serrated sun (orange/yellow sun kinda thing) Could look hideous of course, I've not tried it together!

Alternately a deep silver/bronze could look quite nice.

Death Guard by the way...they're mint. Love 'em!

• 2 weeks later...

So I know it's been a while since I've posted, but by means of apology, have an update, and a preview of things to come; a (mostly complete) holy warrior of the Vakrah Jal...

“Once, many decades ago, before our Enlightenment, I fought alongside the IX Legion during the Kobol Compliance. The Great Angel and his host fell from the heavens and made the defenders as stubble to their swords; yet Sanguinius wept as he butchered, for his actions were driven by necessity and the greater service of the Emperor, not by anger or the desire to kill. I too weep as we set the galaxy aflame, for we do this not out of spite, or hate, or envy, but to bring light to humanity. That is the irony of our task.”

- Sergeant Kol Moloch of the XVII Legion, II Company, Consecrated Iron Chapter

WB1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here's something new- I'm waiting on bases to finish the whole squad, but here are the advance guard of the XII Legion...

WE1.jpg

Edit: I found another base; here's Sergeant Hormidakh of the XII...

WE2.jpg

3- The Fellowship of Olev Molossus, XII Legion

“We are monsters now. We all know it. We all know how far we have fallen, even those who have given in to the nails. Especially the ones who have given into the nails; for where else could such rage come from but the knowledge of what we were? If I am honest, I envy them; at least they find peace in the slaughter. I remain unmutilated, and so have no such excuse. We were the War Hounds, once, but our Father has driven us rabid. All that is left is for our Master to put us down.” 

- Codicier Ortiagon, 52nd Company, XII Legion.

WE4.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-461] Codicier Gral Ortiagon, Codicier of the XII Legion, attached to the 52nd Company. Rembrancer's note: subject wears non-standard, early Great Crusade era armour heraldry (Ref: VDS/721-Alpha: WARHOUND)

As the ‘Shadow Crusade’ wore on, the organisational cohesion of the XII began to crumble. Increasingly, individual Astartes abandoned their assigned squads and even companies while lost to  the embrace of the butcher’s nails, instead forming ad hoc groupings that fought together for the duration of each engagement and then generally- although not always- disbanded afterwards. By their very nature, these groupings had no official title; exasperated Mechanicum logisticians, struggling to define the XII’s increasingly chaotic order of battle, began to refer to them as ‘fellowships’.  After the battle of Nuceria and the transfiguration of Angron, this process accelerated further, as the formal companies of the Great Crusade era disintegrated into warbands with no fixed membership.

WE6.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-462] Captain  Olev Molossus, 52nd Company, XII Legion.

One typical XII ‘fellowship’ during the period was the one that coalesced around Olev Molossus, Captain of the 52nd Company. A veteran Terran who had served since the earliest days of the Legion, Molossus had generally been regarded as a competent, if unexceptional officer; however, the influence of the Nails unleashed something previously hidden within him, and in the years leading up to his Legion’s betrayal he carved out a bloody reputation as an uncontrollable killing machine. At Istvaan III, Molossus, whose loyalties had been under suspicion, gratified his superiors by carrying out a bloody purge of his command; the 52nd then wreaked havoc amongst the first wave of Loyalists at Istvaan V, before taking a prominent role in the subsequent hounding of XIX remnants into the Ilium Rifts.  

WE5.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-463] Legionaries Leukon and Kroll, 52nd Company, XII Legion, and Legionary Trast of the 14th Company, XII Legion.

Molossus’ determination to be in the vanguard soon cost his company dear, and by the time of the Shadow Crusade the 52nd was a shadow of its former self, its ranks severely depleted by attrition. Its Captain hardly cared; even in his increasingly brief moments of lucidity Molossus devoted more attention to the fighting pits than to his troops. At Armatura the surviving members of his command squad, plus a motley collection of other XII berserkers, hurled themselves at the Ultramarine lines. Every one of them, including Codicier Ortiagon, one of the few surviving members of the Legion’s defunct Libarius, perished in the battle.

WE7.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-464] Legionary Vikram, 10th Company, XII Legion and Legionary Ovcharka 34th Company, XII Legion

WE8.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-464] Legionaries Barakh, 52nd Company, XII Legion, and Svana, 51st Company, XII Legion.

WE9.jpg

[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-465] Olev Molossus and his Fellowship, during the battle of Armatura.

Thoughts/Comments?

Ha, I like the BRUTAL consensus! That is rather what I was going for; I feel like I may have gone a little over the top on the weathering (I tried to have a layer of dried blood underneath the fresh stuff) but I guess I just about get away with it, given that I wanted them to look far too consumed by bloodlust to care about things like clean or even working equipment.

Wow, the big scale is just spot on. You really have a talent, although it must cost a fortune!

Thanks. I love extra bulk biggerising astartes gives them, and it makes them look suitably intimidating next to mortal models. It's reallly not that difficult either, just a case of sticking a power-armoured body on terminator legs. I know other people spend a lot of time making the proportions just right, but I reckon that bulking them out around the waist with other equipment works well enough for my purposes.

The one downside, as you say, is that's it's pricey. Luckily an awful lot of the cost is mitigated by bitz websites, which are invaluable, especially when trying to get the exact look you want to fit a legion's aesthetic. I do have quite a large bits box built up over the years too, and I've also got fairly unsparing at cannibalising models that I've either never got round to finishing, or no longer like very much. The second chap below, for example, is made up of the recovered remains of members of six different legions! 

Anyhow, while I'm here I thought I'd show two wips; prizes for guessing which Legion they're going to be painted up as...

WS1.jpg

WS2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WB2.jpg

“You have misgivings, my son. That is natural. On occasion, even I harbour doubts as to our course. Does that surprise you? It should not. Remember what acts we are called upon to commit in the service of truth. We have betrayed and massacred our brothers, riven the galaxy in twain, brought suffering and death to billions- is there any question that a rational mind would feel revulsion at the commission of such necessary eivls? There is only one remedy, of course; one refuge. Faith. So have faith, my son, faith in the Legion, and Aurelian, and the Primordial Truth. Only then will your doubts be assuaged.”

-  Chaplain-Confessor Zuuthusu of the XVII Legion, attached to the Consecrated Iron Chapter

Im guessing those 2 are going to be White Scars? I really like them.

You're Death Guard are killer, where'd you get the helmet spike?

They are, yes! I'm just trying to get the white right at the moment...

Glad you like the Death Guard; the Forgeworld upgrade heads already had the spikes attached, but if I remember rightly, the others mostly came from various WHFB spears I had in my bits box. The Deathshroud heads really suit them!

Wow, your conversion work is great and I really like your painting style, so gritty! Your Death Guard and World Eaters are terrifying! Keep it up, I'm really looking forward to seeing more biggrin.png

Thanks. I think gritty suits me as my painting's not the best and it allows me to get away with stuff a cleaner look would show up like a sore thumb! I am trying to make my White Scars a little less battle-scarred...

Luckily, I have more to show now; first off, a rather better photo of the Dark Apostle, then in the next post a bunch of brothers from the VI Legion...

WB3.jpg

4- The Murder-Make of Steinn Kraka, VI Legion

“Our pledge to the Allfather is simple; when he unleashes us on a foe, that foe will be utterly erased from existence. So long as a single Son of Magnus draws breath, our work will not be done. We will pursue them to the very end of existence and beyond. That is my geas; that is my troth.”
Steinn Kraka (the Crow), Thegn to Runolf Half-Troll, VI Legion

SW7.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-150]  Steinn Kraka of the Ellifti, VI Legion. Rembrancer's note: subject bears non-standard, silenced Bolt-Pistol.

While the warriors of the VI Legion preferred to fight in tightly-knit ‘packs’, it was not unknown for a Jarl to order the creation of ad hoc formations that went outside established social boundaries. The reasons for this varied considerably, ranging from a form of censure to a means of uniting warriors who had lost all their original comrades in battle. In each case however, the new formation was generally established with a specific mission in mind, and often one that set the group apart from the main body of the Legion.

One example of such a group was the party led by Steinn Kraka in the immediate wake of the Razing of Prospero. Steinn was an accomplished warrior, who had earned his epithet (which translates as “Crow”) while serving alongside the XIX Legion during the protracted campaign against the Satoshi Hierarchy. A shrewd and pragmatic fighter with an eye for irregular warfare, Steinn’s counsel became highly valued by Runolf Halftroll, the Jarl of the 11th Great Company, and his actions during the pacification of the Titian Reach earned him appointment as ‘Thegn’ (the VI Legion equivalent of the more standard ‘Equerry’). Steinn’s role during the razing of Prospero is unknown but presumably he fought alongside his Jarl as part of his Wolf Guard.

In the aftermath of the battle, Steinn found a new role. The Wolf-King was aware that not all of Magnus’ Sons had been present at Prospero. Particular concern was reserved for the Peseret, or Hidden Ones, the Legion’s scout cadre whose numbers and capabilities remained entirely unknown.  As a result, before the VI Legion left Prospero a number of forces were detached to hunt down what few XV Legion assets remained. Jarl Runolf directed his Thegn to select a group of warriors from within his Great Company, in order to track and destroy surviving XV Legion agents wherever they could be found, their main objective being Fellowship Captain Amon, of the Peseret.

Their fate was unknown; after the departure of Steinn’s murder-make, no trace of the group was ever seen again.

SW8.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-151]  Gunnar Scatterbrain of the Ellifti, VI Legion, and Thrall.

SW9.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-152]  Thorkell skull-cleaver of the Ellifti, VI Legion, and Thrall.

SW10.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-154]  Sigur the Rash of the Ellifti, VI Legion, and Thrall. Rembrancers note: subject's crude augmetic and facial censure indicates censure, probably involving a period in the 'cone of shame'.

SW11.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-155]  Ulf the Bald of the Ellifti, VI Legion, and Thrall.

SW12.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-155]  Petr Bláfauskr (Old Black Petr) and Rurik the Fox of the Ellifti, VI Legion. Rembrancers note: subject's skin pigmentation and left pauldron honorific indicates Terran origin.

SW13.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-156]  Thralls of the VI Legion.

SW14.jpg
[Pict Capture DR/741-18Y-157]  The Murder-Make of Steinn Kraka

Dude. 

I've got enough ideas and cash invested into little resin playthings. I don't need people like you dragging me further into a financial prison.

Seriously, these might be the most evocative Wolves I've ever seen. The thralls are terrifying, and the gritty texture and limited palette of the Legionaries works well. I hope to see more Wolves from you in the future, but if not keep up the outstanding work! :)

Archived