You could always try something like this;

Read the article by Philip Sibbering over here.

Thanks. I think I've cracked it now; I went for the mysterious cabling route, plus an auspex on the other side. Photos soon!

Fantastic blogtitude – the Mechanicum stuff is especially creative – and I absolutely had to give a firm three mechandendrites up to that Alpha Legionnaire. Love the Kroot rifle end, and there's some lovely greenstuff work for the sigils.

Thanks, I really enjoy your work (and am beginning to try out something similar to your Novamarine Terminators) so that means a lot coming from you. I hope the greenstuff holds up ok when painted; It's my first time trying to do any sort of detail work using it and I blow hot and cold on whether it all looks right. Still, it's all a learning experience I guess, and given the lack of XX-specific iconography out there (I'm still irritated Forgeworld released hydra pads but no chained Alpha symbols) it's either that or have very bland astartes!

I don't like to post without giving an update of some kind, so here's a little thing; have spent some time working on guns today and made some progress. The one in the middle is the Alpha Section Leader's sidearm. I've also come up with a nice concept for some Loyalist Destroyers (I'm conscious that the traitors have got most of the love so far) so I thought I'd strike while the inspiration's hot. The lower weapon is meant to be an Astartes-portable rad-cleanser, while the upper set are a brace of exotic archaeotech pistols belonging to the Moritat; I've got no idea what they do, but it's probably not particularly pleasant for anyone involved!

WIPguns.jpg

I made some progress on the Moritat; his jump-pack is largely done...

"The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

BAwip.jpg

where in Terra's' name did you get those beautiful wings?!?

Glad you like him! The wings are these , from Zealot miniatures; I think they're the same ones that the Kabuki "not-Corax" has. I figured thst any self-respecting Seraph has to have six wings, and obviously there's also this chap...

I've made a bit more progress in the last few minutes, actually; it's all tacked together, but this is a slightly bluury mockup of the Moritat (he's called Salathiel) without his legs, which haven't turned up yet and will need some conversion in any case. I'm pretty pleased so far.

BAwip2.jpg

I made some progress on the Moritat; his jump-pack is largely done...

"The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

BAwip.jpg

BAwip2.jpg

http://img.pandawhale.com/42268-You-had-my-curiosity-but-now-y-MK6z.gif

Good to see that people like him! Since that shot I've done some additional greenstuffing to make him and his squadmates better fit my theme, but I need to wait for a bitz delivery before I can really start putting them together.

Will it just be an individual, or will we be seeing a whole squad of angels like that? ohmy.png

Sadly not, my wallet couldn't handle it! Salathiel is ex-Sanguinary Guard, hence the multiple wings and whatnot; his squadmates all have jumpacks but are a bit more practical, although as members of the IX they all have decorated armour to some degree, and all of them have modified their heraldry to reflect their Destroyer status.

I've made a bit more progress! My bits finally came, so I've been busy reposing Salathiel's legs and adding little details. My favourite touch are these little wings on his boots, Icarus-style;

BAwip4.jpg

So, a lot of work still to be done, accessories added and so on, but here's how he currently looks when tacked together...

BAwip3.jpg

In other news, I've also been working on the team's bases. I really want to try some of the things I've read about doing realistic-looking mud, so I've gone for a trench warfare theme; the idea is that Salathiel and his comrades will be flying effortlessly above the disgusting mire below, dealing massive amounts of destruction and remaining surprisingly spotless in the process! I've put parts on the bases and will paint them before doing anything else, so that when I add the mud they look realistically sunken into the muck.

BAwip5.jpg

Edit: And now I've painted the bases. Now just need to add the mud!

BAwip6.jpg

Edit 2: And now I've got the mud on! Once it's properly dry, I can highlight and shade the gunk, add some pools of nasty stagnant water, and weather the barbed wire and concrete posts...

BAwip7.jpg

Do you plan on doing any more repositioning of his legs and/or foot? I feel that the pose currently feels quite awkward, especially if he is going to be suspended above the base somehow like Astorath. I think that the legs need to be less "braced" and hang down more. They currently look like they are trying to support weight, which is what the original sculpt intended, but that doesn't really work for a suspended character. I'd suggest looking at the Sanguinor or Astorath to see how their legs hang.

That said, you have some amazing work in this thread, and I hope you continue. Each Kill Team is a genuine pleasure to look at, and to try to find all the little details you hide away on your models. 

Keep up the fantastic work, good sir (or lady-sir).

Dallo

Love those mud bases, would look really great for my Death Korps. I wonder if you would consider doing a tutorial in the Painting section rather than taking this thread off topic?

As ever, consistently blown away by what you do

So the bases dried over night and are now completely done. Now I just need some Destroyers to go with them! Here we go;

BAWip9.jpg

Do you plan on doing any more repositioning of his legs and/or foot? I feel that the pose currently feels quite awkward, especially if he is going to be suspended above the base somehow like Astorath. I think that the legs need to be less "braced" and hang down more. They currently look like they are trying to support weight, which is what the original sculpt intended, but that doesn't really work for a suspended character. I'd suggest looking at the Sanguinor or Astorath to see how their legs hang.

That said, you have some amazing work in this thread, and I hope you continue. Each Kill Team is a genuine pleasure to look at, and to try to find all the little details you hide away on your models. 

Keep up the fantastic work, good sir (or lady-sir).

Dallo

I completely understand what you mean re the pose; my original plan was to do something Sanguinor-esque with him hanging there, but I couldn't find appropriate legs and I didn't want to butcher the expensive ones I had in mind. So instead, I made the base with the big bit of concrete for him; I reposed his right foot up so he's resting on something, while the other one is hanging down without quite touching the ground. The idea is that his full weight is supported by the jet-pack but he's about to jump off at a new angle in search of new prey. I think it looks about right in person; here's a shot, although on reflection the angle's not the best...

BAwip10.jpg

Love those mud bases, would look really great for my Death Korps. I wonder if you would consider doing a tutorial in the Painting section rather than taking this thread off topic?

As ever, consistently blown away by what you do

I've done a quick tutorial here. Let me know if you've got any questions!

That pose looks better now that he's based. Is it possible to move him further up the concrete girder so that it's more obvious that he is using his jump pack as opposed to resting on the ground. His foot might already be off the ground, but the angle of the photo makes it look like he's standing in the mud with both feet. Would you consider turning his head so he looks the direction of the girder as he pushes off, or are you fairly set in the head positioning as is?

Dallo

So, I made some progress on Salathiel. His jetpack is now pretty much finished, bar the weathering and scorch-marks from the jet itself, both of which I'll add when the model is based and fully assembled...

BAwip11.jpg

I've also got the base armour colour down on the rest of the model too, although obviously a lot still to do here...

BAwip12.jpg

I also have three of his five squadmates assembled and ready for undercoating, although I want to do all the base reds in one go so will need to wait for the other two before I can start there.

Very very cool! Love the BA, great posing and converting. The only thing I'm not sure about is the head.

Looking forward to some more smile.png

I hope the head will grow on you when painted; I was trying to go for the long-haired angelic look and wanted to avoid the regular Blood Angel bare heads too, as well ad making sure he didn't look too Elvish. It's from the Bretonnian knights set, which is actually a very useful source of bits.

That pose looks better now that he's based. Is it possible to move him further up the concrete girder so that it's more obvious that he is using his jump pack as opposed to resting on the ground. His foot might already be off the ground, but the angle of the photo makes it look like he's standing in the mud with both feet. Would you consider turning his head so he looks the direction of the girder as he pushes off, or are you fairly set in the head positioning as is?

Dallo

I know what you mean; as the model is tacked on to the pin, gravity has a tendency to pull it's position round a little from what I intend. The final glued pose will have his left foot a good centimetre or so above the ground, while the one on the girder is far enough up to be properly above the mud. As for the head, I'm set on it mainly because I rather stupidly glued it in before I changed my mind about the pose and I think I'd damage the torso trying to get it out; it would be nice to tweak but I think it should work ok when on there.

really cool model!  looking forward to seeing him finished.:lol:

Thanks! Salathiel is now finished, as it happens (and I'm very pleased with how he's turned out) but I want to get his entire squad painted before I post photos. Which should be so,either next week, hopefully; four more models to go...

I just spent a good while looking through this entire thread. I simply have one question: where did you get those shoulderpads on Salathiel?

Just realized I forgot to say that everything is really impressive.

Glad you've enjoyed it. Salathiel's shoulder pads and arms are taken from the Sanguinor; he also provided the jet pack and one set of wings, as well as a couple of press moulded details here and there.

Archived