• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates, things have been a bit busy. The good news is that four of my five Thunder Warriors have now been painted and are all done; however the last one with the Thunder Hammer was bothering me. The more I looked at him, the more I could see that KrautScientist was completely right to say that he didn't quite have the right look; the pose wasn't really there and none of it gelled as I'd like. So after looking at it for a while, I ripped his arms and head off and started afresh; and while I was doing that, I decided that I'd expand the squad size to eight. Here's a shot of my progress; I still need to tidy up some of the GS gap-filling and in some cases add some more, but they're coming along. I'm particularly pleased with how distinct the backpacks are looking, and I'm glad I hit on a design for the guns that recalls the originals while being a bit bigger and badder.

WIPs6.jpg

The bodies are coming along nicely too. I'll post some photos soon. They're quite involved conversions, because there's a lot of Nurglification to remove, and this means a lot of lower leg amputation, something made trickier by how distinct the Blightkings poses are. What makes things even more complicated is that I'm picky; I don't want duplicate bodies, but as I have a squad of eight and only three of the Blightking bodies are really suitable for my purposes, that means a certain amount of creativity...

Glad people like them; the backpacks are Cadian Vox Casters (for some reason I had loads of them lying around) with with various bits shaved off. As KBA says, I then discovered that the gun covers from the Ork Flash Gitz fit more or less perfectly on top.

I've got two of the three bodies now more or less done, although the greenstuff needs to be tidied up; because one of them mixes and matches torso and leg parts there's a lot of filling to be done. Luckily it's all on the side of the torso where the arms conceal things, and the pitted and rough nature of the armour on the rest of the model means that once painted it all blends in quite nicely.

More pictures soon when I get the chance.

The heads, backpacks and weapons are looking brilliant! As for the paintjob, I find it hard to comment because it's difficult to judge how close the WIP you posted actually is to completion. It may just be a bit too damaged for my taste, and I would definitely paint the bolter in a contrasting colour to make the model look slightly less busy overall -- but those could be things you are planning anyway, so yeah.

In any case, this is certainly one of the most ambitious projects involving the Blightkings kit right now, and I applaud your work as well as your adventurous spirit! On a related note, I've listed this project as a best practice example in my review of the various new Nurgle kits, and I hope you're okay with that.

Keep up the amazing work! :)

So, good news; the last of the Thunder Warriors is now made, and I can start on painting the final four. Hopefully I'll have the squad completed sometime over the weekend. And just to show some pictorial proof of progress, I've finished making all the bases for them. Here's a WIP;

WIPs7.jpg

And here's them painted...

WIPs8.jpg

I've really grown to enjoy making bases for my projects; it's almost as satisfying as making the models themselves. One thing I've really found is that it's great to push yourself to do new things in the hobby, previously I'd always just buy resin bases from somewhere or other for an extortionate price, but now I realise I can make something just as interesting if not better for a fraction of the cost and a bit of bitz-box rummaging. I wish I had the space and resources to do proper scenery, it'd be great fun to make a display board.

By the way, maybe this will make the Thunder Warrior look more Proto-Astartes: Death Guard Moritat by Dave Taylor. Might be a cool nod to Dante's armour...

Now that's cool! I do feel rather sorry for the jetpack though... Dave Taylor is always an excellent source of ideas to pinch, I was heavily influenced by him when I made my Mechanicum Praetorians. My Thunder Warriors are a bit less Astartes-ish than that guy, but I think now I've had a bit of practice with the conversion that there will be no mistaking who they are.

The heads, backpacks and weapons are looking brilliant! As for the paintjob, I find it hard to comment because it's difficult to judge how close the WIP you posted actually is to completion. It may just be a bit too damaged for my taste, and I would definitely paint the bolter in a contrasting colour to make the model look slightly less busy overall -- but those could be things you are planning anyway, so yeah.

In any case, this is certainly one of the most ambitious projects involving the Blightkings kit right now, and I applaud your work as well as your adventurous spirit! On a related note, I've listed this project as a best practice example in my review of the various new Nurgle kits, and I hope you're okay with that.

Keep up the amazing work! smile.png

Thanks, and excellent (and very thoughtful) review btw; I completely agree with you both on the excellence of the Blightkings as a set and also your points on mutations. One of my Kill-Team concepts is a small group of Thousand Sons afflicted with the flesh change, and the thing that's stopped me doing it has always been working out a way to do proper mutations beyond the random tentacle route. As an aside, one thing that's always appealed to me with Nurgle is the idea that their servants are actually quite jolly once you get past the putrid disgustingness; I particularly love the concept that the Beast of Nurgle was basically just a big puppy in terms of temperament, and could never understand why its new friends ran away screaming in terror when it bounded over to slobber on them.

Moving on to the paintjob, I felt the same way when the model was at the stage shown in the photo. My worry was the same as when you paint on camoflague; the details of the figure are lost because there's too much going on elsewhere. Luckily, once I added the details and other areas of flat colour like skin and cloth, the effect was dialled down a bit and I'm broadly pleased with the end result. On reflection I think maybe I should have gone for a slightly more vibrant colour and maybe copied the purple armour from the cover of The Outcast Dead; however as battle-hardened veterans from a thousand long-forgotten conflicts, I think the whole thing works. As you will hopefully agree in the near future!

Thanks, and excellent (and very thoughtful) review btw; I completely agree with you both on the excellence of the Blightkings as a set and also your points on mutations. One of my Kill-Team concepts is a small group of Thousand Sons afflicted with the flesh change, and the thing that's stopped me doing it has always been working out a way to do proper mutations beyond the random tentacle route. As an aside, one thing that's always appealed to me with Nurgle is the idea that their servants are actually quite jolly once you get past the putrid disgustingness; I particularly love the concept that the Beast of Nurgle was basically just a big puppy in terms of temperament, and could never understand why its new friends ran away screaming in terror when it bounded over to slobber on them.

I liked it when Great Unclean Ones used to be immune to Noise Marine Sonic Weaponry, as they enjoyed the vibrations and would hum along to the 'tune'. Happy Nurgle is brilliant, and the Liber Chaotica (I think?) nailed it when they said that the emotion that Nurgle feeds off is the outcast seeking hope.

9- The Glorious Vajra, the 2nd Thunder Regiment

Three Years after Istvaan

The hydraulic systems of the crimson Storm Eagle hissed as the embarkation ramp lowered itself to the rubbish-choked deck. Inside, the Apostle Dagon Akhe licked the blood from the ritual athame and replaced it at his side, stepping over the still-writhing body of the celebrant in front of him. Deep inside him, Zü stirred into wakefulness.  “Not for you, friend,” Akhe whispered; “I propiate the one who brought me here.”

Akhe still regretted the necessity of the kill; his victim had been the last of a sect that he had nurtured for over a century, and that had once numbered in the tens of thousands. Yet their deaths had not been in vain, for they had eventually brought him to this half-derelict frigate drifting in a nameless nebula.  The favour of the Twisted One was a valuable prize, and when he brought his quarry before the Warmaster’s Equerry, the rewards would be great.

Zü felt his excitement and Akhe felt strength and acuity flow through him as he moved out into the dimly lit landing bay. The air was hot and oppressive and all that could be heard was a dull rumbling, as if an armoured company was idling in the gloom around him. The landing lights from his craft only illuminated one thing of interest in the vast bay, and Akhe smiled when he saw it; the cracked and broken form of a rampant hound, blackened with soot but with patches of its original crimson colouring visible under the filth. Fitting for the warriors of the past to be joined by the symbols of a vanished legion, he thought.

The Apostle had never been blessed with natural aetheric ability, but such powers could easily be bargained for or appropriated by those with an understanding of the true nature of the universe.  Closing his eyes, Akhe sighed as he relinquished control to Zü and felt his coeval reach out in search of minds. He had the fleeting impression of something massive, yet somehow occluded- then without any warning whatsoever, Zü gave a psychic squeal of terror and fled to the deepest reaches of the Apostle’s subconscious.

Stunned by his coeval’s sudden withdrawal, Akhe staggered backwards; then, spitting blood onto the floor, he collected himself. “I come to treat with Jamadar Ukko of the Dait’Tar” he gasped, raising his gauntlets in benediction. “The Warmaster sends me as his representative.”

For a long moment there was silence, and the Apostle wondered if he was speaking to an empty hall; then there was a mechanical roar as an engine burst into life, and seconds later an almost impossibly deep voice rang out;

“Ukko is dead, thin-blood. And we are not Dait'Tar.”

TW1.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-563] - Risaldar Teshub Beg (l) and Subedar Haokah ® of the Vajra, the Glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment.

TW2.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-564] - Subedar Dost Perkele (l) and Mestee Yan Fu ® of the Vajra, the Glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment. Rembrancer's note: Subject (l) bears the Regiment's 'Izzat' or colours.

A figure strode into the light, followed by several more. For a fleeting second, Akhe thought they were clad in Terminator plate; then he smiled in recognition as he saw the chipped and pitted armour slabs that covered their absurdly over-developed upper bodies, the black smoke that belched from the smokestacks at their backs, the crude but massive projectile weaponry chained to their shoulders. Each stood a head taller than the Apostle, and in their reinforced chest armour they were broader too.

Akhe watched in fascination as their leader, a huge specimen with a massive chainaxe slung over his back, moved forward. So primitive! the Apostle thought, wondering, with none of the artistry of our creation. Crude remnants of a barbarous past. Thunder Warriors.

The leader spoke. “We are the Vajra, thin-blood.” There was a great roar of machinery followed by a metallic clang as every one of the proto-astartes brought their hand up to pound their chest in the salute of Unification. “The glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment, the irresistible force, the immovable object, the diamond thunderbolt.”

Akhe’s nodded in recognition. “I understand the Vajra,” he responded, “and its occluded significance in Hindic tradition. A Chapter of my Legion was named after the symbol.”

The proto-astartes sneered. “And were they as weak and stunted as you?”

Something compelled the Apostle to honesty. “They were craven and unworthy of the Legion, yes.” He remembered the way the Chapter’s Chaplain cursed them as they carved ritual sigils into his flesh. “I destroyed them myself.”

The being opposite him grunted. “All who are unworthy of the Vajra must perish. Jamadar Ukko was such.” It gestured to fresh scarring on his cheek. “I was merciful at least. I ripped his head from his spine as he roared verses of greeting to our departed brethren. It was not the death he deserved, but it was the best I could provide. Not for Ukko the ignominy of a quiet end; I enabled him to end his existence as he was designed to, in battle, with a mouth full of blood and a song on his lips.”

He paused. “I am Teshub, Ukko’s Risaldar. I command the Vajra now.”

The Apostle bowed gravely. They are little better than Orks or Ogryn, he thought. Why does Maloghurst want them so badly?

“Greetings, Risaldar Teshub”, he replied, “I am Dagon Akhe, Apostle of the Bearers of the Word. The Warmaster greets you as Cousin, Risaldar, and directs me to treat with you.”

The hangar bay filled with cold laughter. “Cousin!” the Thunder Warrior bellowed. “Presumptuous pup. He wants us to provide his pathetic rebellion with true warriors, then?”

The Apostle remained calm. “Your father betrayed Horus, as he betrayed you. He treats you as tools, to be discarded when no longer convenient. He is a tyrant, and a weakling. He is the anathema, and must be destroyed.

The Risaldar shook his head. “My father? If I had a one, it was Ukko. The Emperor was no father. He was our Creator, and gave us the gift of a world to conquer in his name. His responsibility to us ended with that act. He was wise not to grant us such a long lifespan, and we have belatedly come not to begrudge him for trying to spare us the fate that we now suffer. It was a kindness to cull our kind. The brightest lights consume the most fuel; we are not thin-bloods like the weaklings that came after us.”

TW3.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-565] - Mestees Aijeke (l) and Shango Khan ® of the Vajra, the Glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment. Rembrancer's note: Subject (l) bears a prototype Ural-Pattern Bolter

TW4.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-566] - Mestees Aplu Yoghur (l) and Donar Oghuz ® of the Vajra, the Glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment.

Akhe seized the opening he had been given. “You speak of your fate. I know you are all dying. Your bodies are failing before your eyes. I can sense the degradation of your organs; the lesions and tumours on your skin. It is a marvel you have survived this long. Yet the Warmaster has the ability to help you. Even as we speak, his servants are unravelling the secrets of the Emperor’s creation. Horus has the power to grant you eternal life, if you were take your place at his side.”

The proto-Astartes’ mouth curled up in a savage smile, and he pulled something bloody from a container at his belt. “We already know the secret to eternal life, little man.”

He tossed the thing at the Apostle, who, puzzled, knelt to pick it up. The smell of it was enough to coax Zü out of the recesses of Akhe’s mind, although it quickly darted back when the Risaldar’s gaze shifted upwards. The Apostle regarded the thing for a second, focusing on the massive bite-marks that disfigured its surface, and for the first time felt uncertainty.

“Progenoid glands? Where do you obtain them from?” he asked, immediately regretting the question.

There was a rumble of laughter from the Vajra, and the Risaldar fingered the hilt of his massive chain-axe. “Little thin-bloods like you. We are careful what we eat though; some of your kind are tainted, as well as weak.”

He grinned, showing sharpened teeth. “We like the Hounds best.” He indicated the great ruined design on the hanger floor. “They taste of honest rage. They are just runts, really; but their enthusiasm is endearing.”

The Apostle shrugged. “Progenoids are not a permanent solution, Risaldar; only Horus can provide that.”

TW5.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-567] - Composite Comparison: Proto Astsrtes "Thunder Warrior" (1), Astartes of the Great Crusade ©, Unaugmented human ®

The Vajra laughed again, racking the bolts on their cannon and flexing the joints on their powered gauntlets. Their leader wiped the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. “There is another way, little man,” he said. “We voted on it three days ago. Perhaps our Creator will extend our lifespans in return for our assistance. Perhaps he will not, and we shall die as we were always intended to, with blood in our mouth and a song on our lips, waist-deep in the broken corpses of our foes. Either way, it shall be good to slay the foe on the soils of Terra once again.”

He drew his chain-axe, which belched smoke as it sprang to life. The Apostle automatically reached for his Crozius. “You are making a mistake, Risaldar,” he said evenly. “For I have the power of the Gods at my side.”

He whispered words of power to bring Zü forth, laughing as he felt the power course through him; then he realised he was not the only one laughing.

The Thunder Warrior roared in pleasure, gunning the motor on his weapon. “I thought it was you,” he exclaimed, “we have met before, you and I. The battlements of Ursh. Do you remember? It will be good to slay you again.”

The Apostle felt Zü scream in terror deep inside him. “We… we have never met. I don’t understand…”

A look of annoyance flashed onto the Thunder Warrior’s face and Dagon Akhe, who had consorted with daemons and demi-gods and won a thousand victories, found himself rooted to the spot as he felt transhuman dread for the first time.

“I wasn’t talking to you, thin blood.”

TW6.jpg
[Pict Capture TC/875-15P-567] - Proto-Astartes of the Vajra, the Glorious 2nd Thunder Regiment.

Wow, that was a very good story! Thumbs up!

But let's get to the models already! ;) Mate, that squad is quite an achievement! Excellent use of the Blightking kit for something truly different! And some fantastic kitbashing as well! Using those Black Orc (?!) gauntlets as some sort of proto-power fist is a touch of genius!

As for the paintjob, I have to say that there are good things and bad things: I hope you'll take this as the constructive crticism it is intended as!

- the general colour choice really nicely communicates the muddy, battle-worn feeling you were going for! Great job! Also, it may be a slightly unconventional choice, but the blue really works rather nicely as an accent colour!

- unfortunately, the finished paintjobs don't quite get rid of my main point of contention: The amount of weathering and battle damage is a little too successful at obscuring the model's build and details, taking away from your extremely clever conversions. This is more of a problem on some models than on others. In any case, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. I stand by my earlier assessment that the weapon casings should be painted in a contrasting colour (dark grey, for example), in order to provide a bit of a visual "divider" for the eye. Granted, it may not make sense from a military perspective, but it seems like a good decision from an artistic standpoint ;)

2. I think the faces could use another, more carefully applied highlight to make them look a bit cleaner -- again, this basically boils down to creating areas of contrast on the model, and it's especially important for the faces, in my opinion, precisely because there's so little skin on show here.

3. You may want to apply a simple form of "blacklining" on the armour plates, especially on the belly armour: By carefully applying a black or dark brown wash into the recesses there, you'd get a bit more definition to the armour without sacrificing the overall look you were going for.

4. Maybe you could even go as far as painting the "belly plate" or some of the smaller armour plates on the chest in the blue you chose as a spot colour? It would add a slightly more regimented feel to the models and, once again, add definition without sacrificing the overall look of the squad.

Anyway, these are just some small ideas to make the already awesome models even better, perhaps. Excellent work, in any case! :)

I like the story and feel  like I want to know more about them now. The models turned out good but I think you may have missed the mark on the paint a little. Its very hard to see details and these guys are covered in great details that should be seen.

Every now and then we experience something, a reminder if you will, that gives us the "why" of certain things.

It may sound corny (so I apologize in advance), but brother, this kill team and short story has served a "why" moment for 40K for me.

You have let your imagination (and skills) take you to a place few are able to go. Not only that, but you brought us all along for the ride as well.

Thank you for the inspiration, the fun, the insight, and most importantly that little bit more "why".

Glad people liked these and the story that went with them; next up, more Astartes, although not ones I've ever seen modelled and painted before.

Wow, that was a very good story! Thumbs up!

But let's get to the models already! msn-wink.gif Mate, that squad is quite an achievement! Excellent use of the Blightking kit for something truly different! And some fantastic kitbashing as well! Using those Black Orc (?!) gauntlets as some sort of proto-power fist is a touch of genius!

As for the paintjob, I have to say that there are good things and bad things: I hope you'll take this as the constructive crticism it is intended as!

- the general colour choice really nicely communicates the muddy, battle-worn feeling you were going for! Great job! Also, it may be a slightly unconventional choice, but the blue really works rather nicely as an accent colour!

- unfortunately, the finished paintjobs don't quite get rid of my main point of contention: The amount of weathering and battle damage is a little too successful at obscuring the model's build and details, taking away from your extremely clever conversions. This is more of a problem on some models than on others. In any case, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. I stand by my earlier assessment that the weapon casings should be painted in a contrasting colour (dark grey, for example), in order to provide a bit of a visual "divider" for the eye. Granted, it may not make sense from a military perspective, but it seems like a good decision from an artistic standpoint msn-wink.gif

2. I think the faces could use another, more carefully applied highlight to make them look a bit cleaner -- again, this basically boils down to creating areas of contrast on the model, and it's especially important for the faces, in my opinion, precisely because there's so little skin on show here.

3. You may want to apply a simple form of "blacklining" on the armour plates, especially on the belly armour: By carefully applying a black or dark brown wash into the recesses there, you'd get a bit more definition to the armour without sacrificing the overall look you were going for.

4. Maybe you could even go as far as painting the "belly plate" or some of the smaller armour plates on the chest in the blue you chose as a spot colour? It would add a slightly more regimented feel to the models and, once again, add definition without sacrificing the overall look of the squad.

Anyway, these are just some small ideas to make the already awesome models even better, perhaps. Excellent work, in any case! smile.png

I'm glad you liked these, and thanks for the constructive criticism; as ever, you are completely right. I'm not entirely sold on the paintjob either; while it didn't help that I was taking photos in the rain and this made them look a bit duller and greyer than they do in real life, it doesn't show off the models as well as it could.

I was particularly conscious in painting about the need for contrast in the armour; I initially tried a wash and for some reason, perhaps because of the chips, it just broke up the outline of the model further and made it impossible to see anything. Blacklining might be a very good option and I'll certainly bear it in mind.

It was also a shame that the unit markings I spent quite some time on were promptly obliterated by the chipping. I made these guys to experiment with the effect as much as anything and while I learned a lot I think I could have been a little more sparing in my scrubbing.

I think at some point when I'm suffering from a lack of inspiration I'll strip these and try again; not for a while yet though, I'm a little burned out on them. I may even do some more at some point; I have the routine to make them off pat, and that's half the battle.

i'm curious where the colour scheme came from?

The colour scheme was my choice, and as I mentioned above, I'm not wholly sure it was the best one to go for; I chose it because I wanted a broadly subcontinental theme, and this popped out at me. The problem is that there's not really any canonical depiction of Thunder Warrior colours; the closest thing I could find was the purple armour Ghota is wearing on the cover of The Outcast Dead, and that seemed a bit gaudy to me. Maybe I should have gone for a grey scheme instead?

Every now and then we experience something, a reminder if you will, that gives us the "why" of certain things.

It may sound corny (so I apologize in advance), but brother, this kill team and short story has served a "why" moment for 40K for me.

You have let your imagination (and skills) take you to a place few are able to go. Not only that, but you brought us all along for the ride as well.

Thank you for the inspiration, the fun, the insight, and most importantly that little bit more "why".

Wow, that's a real compliment- thanks so much! The reason why I like 40k (and 30k for that matter) is that the setting is so rich and interesting; every time I do one of these kill teams I try to combine an interesting corner of the background, especially the old stuff, with some sort of challenge to improve my own hobbying skills. So in this case it was major kitbashing and some experimentation with masking and chipping, with the Blood Angels Destroyers it was about making my own bases, with the Emperor's Children it was Greenstuff and press-moulding, and so on. Ultimately I'm not a remotely arty person (I'm more of a writer really) so my reach often exceeds my grasp- but when it does I hope it's at least interesting, while also showing that you don't neccesarily need natural skill to do a lot of these things to a certain level, just enthusiasm and a willingness to experiment.

interesting. I always pictured them in bronze and brass with the chainmail myself,  but of course every one has their own image.  I really do like your take on them, this thread is the sole reason i visit B&C so please keep them coming!

Amazing work.  I'm really tempted to convert up some Thunder Warriors for myself, but the ones you've made are so cool that mine would just be a pale imitation.  Great fluff, and awesome miniatures to go with it.  This is what the 40k hobby is all about.

interesting. I always pictured them in bronze and brass with the chainmail myself, but of course every one has their own image. I really do like your take on them, this thread is the sole reason i visit B&C so please keep them coming!

I always had the impression that their liveries probably varied as much as the Legions did, we just don't know the details; although your image certainly fits with the Blanche sketches. Glad you like them anyhow; the next team is a bit less ambitious but the one after that should be almost as unique...

Amazing work. I'm really tempted to convert up some Thunder Warriors for myself, but the ones you've made are so cool that mine would just be a pale imitation. Great fluff, and awesome miniatures to go with it. This is what the 40k hobby is all about.

Nah, go for it! Sure yours would be great, once I figured out the main basics they weren't really that tough to do, although there was lots of gap filling. If you need any pointers, let me know; would love to see other people's take on them, bet they could refine my concept nicely...

Now, onwards and upwards. While I'm working on a small, slightly less ambitious project next, the one after that will be a lot more work (involving learning quite a few new skills along the way) and I'm already brainstorming some concepts for the team's distinct inconography. Here are my initial drafts; which one do people prefer? (And for bonus points, which dark corner of the lore am I drawing my inspiration from? msn-wink.gif )

Flag%201%20%281%29.jpg

Flag%202.jpg

BTW, if people liked the story, A while ago I came up with a nice concept for a KIll Team and wrote 90% of a short story for it, but then realised it'd break board rules so never progressed on to doing the models. Would there be interest in me finishing the thing and posting it here? I think it's fairly fun.

Now, onwards and upwards. While I'm working on a small, slightly less ambitious project next, the one after that will be a lot more work (involving learning quite a few new skills along the way) and I'm already brainstorming some concepts for the team's distinct inconography. Here are my initial drafts; which one do people prefer? (And for bonus points, which dark corner of the lore am I drawing my inspiration from? msn-wink.gif )

Flag%201%20%281%29.jpg

Definitely this one, it's absolutely amazing!

BTW, if people liked the story, A while ago I came up with a nice concept for a KIll Team and wrote 90% of a short story for it, but then realised it'd break board rules so never progressed on to doing the models. Would there be interest in me finishing the thing and posting it here? I think it's fairly fun.

YES.

Thanks Argent Aquila, that one's my favourite too and I've since realised that the other symbol has already been nodded to by Forgeworld in one of the IAs; so better to go with the unused one...

WIPs9.jpg

Of course having brainstormed flags I actually need to produce one in miniature form. Here's my WIP, which I'll start painting as soon as the sealing varnish on the base has dried; it's my tester for the bases of the rest of the team. Ever since I saw that Anarchy Models did a line of resin crystals I've wanted to use some; they will hopefully make my base look suitably alien, which will fit the theme nicely.

And now for a literary interlude...

Archived